ImageImageImageImageImage

OT- Farewell

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

RedneckNiner
Veteran
And1: 104

OT- Farewell 

Post#1 » by RedneckNiner » Sun Oct 8, 2017 5:43 pm

Over the years I have come to enjoy these boards all the way back to the ESPN boards and all of you have made watching the Niners fun even the ones I have had spirited arguments with. However Today rewatching the beginning of the games and seeing the players kneeling again has convinced me that my two weeks away was the right decision. I live in Las Vegas thankfully due to getting home late from Disneyland Sunday I did not attend the Harvest Festival Sunday though I did have tickets. I understand freedom of speech and I support the right to protest. However they are paid to do a job and like in my job if I decided to protest on the clock its my right but its also my employers right to say if you do you will be fired.

It was police, ems firefighters and even ordinary people racing into harms way to save people in Las Vegas. I did not see a single one of these spoiled millionaire players out there doing that. Instead they decide to kneel and piss all over the brave actions of first responders because since last year with Kaepernick they are throwing an ever increasing temper tantrum. And now they can pin it on Trump the media got off the sidelines and is all in and watching football not only do I have to watch these douchebags show their ass I have to deal with more of the Goebbels in the media spew their hateful and divisive propaganda into football which used to be my escape from that ****. I will make this abundantly clear I don't like Trump though I did vote for him because a vapid narcissistic dictator seemed a better choice than a manipulative, lieing, power mad dictator. It was the lesser of the evils. But I watch football to escape the drama in the world 1 day a week. This is not a political debate post I value everyone with whom I have interacted with from the ESPN boards, the Sports Hoopla , Real GM and other boards along the way. I wish all of you the very best in life and that all of you be blessed with happiness and prosperity as for me after the game today I am turning off the NFL for the forseeable future and sticking to just College Football.

Will
RedneckNiner
and XDracule from the old ESPN boards
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Re: OT- Farewell 

Post#2 » by NinerSickness » Sun Oct 8, 2017 6:28 pm

RedneckNiner wrote:Over the years I have come to enjoy these boards all the way back to the ESPN boards and all of you have made watching the Niners fun even the ones I have had spirited arguments with. However Today rewatching the beginning of the games and seeing the players kneeling again has convinced me that my two weeks away was the right decision. I live in Las Vegas thankfully due to getting home late from Disneyland Sunday I did not attend the Harvest Festival Sunday though I did have tickets. I understand freedom of speech and I support the right to protest. However they are paid to do a job and like in my job if I decided to protest on the clock its my right but its also my employers right to say if you do you will be fired.

It was police, ems firefighters and even ordinary people racing into harms way to save people in Las Vegas. I did not see a single one of these spoiled millionaire players out there doing that. Instead they decide to kneel and piss all over the brave actions of first responders because since last year with Kaepernick they are throwing an ever increasing temper tantrum. And now they can pin it on Trump the media got off the sidelines and is all in and watching football not only do I have to watch these douchebags show their ass I have to deal with more of the Goebbels in the media spew their hateful and divisive propaganda into football which used to be my escape from that ****. I will make this abundantly clear I don't like Trump though I did vote for him because a vapid narcissistic dictator seemed a better choice than a manipulative, lieing, power mad dictator. It was the lesser of the evils. But I watch football to escape the drama in the world 1 day a week. This is not a political debate post I value everyone with whom I have interacted with from the ESPN boards, the Sports Hoopla , Real GM and other boards along the way. I wish all of you the very best in life and that all of you be blessed with happiness and posterity as for me after the game today I am turning off the NFL for the forseeable future and sticking to just College Football.

Will
RedneckNiner
and XDracule from the old ESPN boards

:nod: Respect your decision. Hope you check in w/ the NFL Draft thread from time to time to talk college players.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,247

Post#3 » by wco81 » Sun Oct 8, 2017 11:43 pm

None of the owners have warned players not to kneel.

Not as if the players are doing it in defiance of the team orders and the teams are not following through with punishment.

I think a lot of owners personally do not like protesting when the anthem is played. But Trump tried to force the issue (saying owners should fire or remove players who protest) and the owners at that point declined to be on the opposite side of the players.

The divisiveness came from one source.

And saying pro athletes shouldn't protest or refuse to go along with business as usual (which is more accurately what CK did) because you don't want sports to be politicized is not realistic. One might as well say I only like black football players (and it's mostly or all black players doing the protests) when they make plays but I don't want them to express political opinions of any kind.

If they ignored what was happening outside the gridiron, they'd be accused of being out of touch millionaire athletes.

So they can't win either way.

Some athletes are conscious about not getting embroiled in any political controversy, because they could lose sponsorship deals. So many of these players take a risk going out on a limb like this. Even if I didn't agree with what they were saying, I'd respect their courage for not just accepting things quietly.
JMedlock5186
Freshman
And1: 3

Post#4 » by JMedlock5186 » Mon Oct 9, 2017 10:04 am

Take care of yourself and check in to say hi from time to time.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#5 » by Ray_Dogg » Mon Oct 9, 2017 9:22 pm

Just my two cents...

Trump has done a phenomenal job of empowering white nationalists and is truly catering to his voters with his stance on this. Masterful job of ignoring the point of it all.

I'd try to avoid his spin on this. It's been made pretty clear that this is a peaceful protest of police brutality and is in no way meant to disrespect the flag, nation or anthem. It is meant to spark conversation and hopefully lead to change. I'm ok with it. I think it's a lot better than invoking violence in the streets.

Everyone has a right to express themselves. Just like you have a right to not want to watch anymore. I get it.
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#6 » by I_am_1z » Mon Oct 9, 2017 11:56 pm

This is likened to the boycotts in the civil rights era. People didn't do sit ins because they disagreed with the taste of the coffee, it was to protest inequality.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by NinerSickness » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:20 am

wco81 wrote:And saying pro athletes shouldn't protest or refuse to go along with business as usual (which is more accurately what CK did) because you don't want sports to be politicized is not realistic.

But not politicizing the national anthem or the flag is realistic. It's what happened for all of NFL history up until this point.

NFL players get the spotlight all the freekin' time. They're contractually required to talk to the media after games. That's a perfect time to say their piece if they want to. And I'm sure every sports show in the country (radio & TV) would take a call from NFL players any time. But hijacking the national anthem completely backfired on them because it alienated tons of people & caused the NFL (and thus the players) to hemorrhage money. They f***ed up.
wco81
RealGM

Post#8 » by wco81 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:33 am

Besides CK being blackballed, which players have lost money?

NFL games are still among the top rated broadcasts every week.

No the people politicizing the flag and the anthem are those that claim it's about the troops or first responders.

Flag is whatever people make. When people wear some costume made out of the flag, are they saluting or mocking the troops? How about neither?
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by NinerSickness » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:27 am

wco81 wrote:Besides CK being blackballed, which players have lost money?

1. Kaepernick sucks at playing QB (can't read defenses or see open receivers; mental midget)
2. Kaepernick turned down at least 1 contract offer
3. Kaepernick doesn't put in the work mentally (film)
4. Kaepernick f***ed his teammate's girlfriend.

Dude is not being blackballed.

And in answer to your question: 100% of players have lost money on this in the long run because they share in the profits of the league. The losses over this are in the billions.

wco81 wrote:NFL games are still among the top rated broadcasts every week.

That's because they STARTED OUT top-rated. The ratings have tanked.

wco81 wrote:No the people politicizing the flag and the anthem are those that claim it's about the troops or first responders.

Fair point about first responders. But have you read the lyrics of the national anthem? It's about the troops. And this is coming from a guy who gives zero s**ts about the anthem or the flag (although a lot of people do).
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#10 » by Jikkle » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:17 pm

The issue I have with it is if I wanted to have a conversation with you and I called you a nicknamed that you didn't like or thought was disrespectful and you told me you didn't like it but I said "Oh but I didn't mean to disrespect you" and kept calling you that nickname how do you think that conversation is going to go?

You might not have intended to disrespect the country when you first started to kneel for the anthem but a very large amount of people and people you claim you want to have a conversation took it that way you shouldn't have double down on kneeling for the anthem but got together to find a way to have a way to have a productive conversation about what you want to talk about.

Because all the players did was sabotage their own message because nobody is talking about police brutality but all their talking about is the anthem and whether it's right to kneel or not.

And the thing is that the players have money, status, and clout so they really are in a position to discuss politics without having to resort to kneeling for the anthem. Like Sick said they get time to talk to the media and can use that as a platform to talk about their issues and they can get together to do a PSA commercial or hold some kind of event to bring awareness for whatever they want to talk about.
wco81
RealGM

Post#11 » by wco81 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:21 pm

Kaepernick is better than Brandon Weeden, whom the Titans just signed. So that's all you need to know whether teams are making pure football decisions as far as CK goes.

And you're going to have to show proof of this "billions" in losses and the "tanking" ratings.

Anyways, Ditka weighed in, saying there's been no oppression in the past 100 years, which would include the Jim Crow era.

Yeah, you really want to be on the same side of the argument as Mike Ditka.
Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Post#12 » by Bald Bull » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:30 pm

Jikkle wrote:The issue I have with it is if I wanted to have a conversation with you and I called you a nicknamed that you didn't like or thought was disrespectful and you told me you didn't like it but I said "Oh but I didn't mean to disrespect you" and kept calling you that nickname how do you think that conversation is going to go?

You might not have intended to disrespect the country when you first started to kneel for the anthem but a very large amount of people and people you claim you want to have a conversation took it that way you shouldn't have double down on kneeling for the anthem but got together to find a way to have a way to have a productive conversation about what you want to talk about.

Because all the players did was sabotage their own message because nobody is talking about police brutality but all their talking about is the anthem and whether it's right to kneel or not.

And the thing is that the players have money, status, and clout so they really are in a position to discuss politics without having to resort to kneeling for the anthem. Like Sick said they get time to talk to the media and can use that as a platform to talk about their issues and they can get together to do a PSA commercial or hold some kind of event to bring awareness for whatever they want to talk about.

I understand your point, but i think people would have been offended regardless. Tribalism makes people turn criticism of bad cops into criticism for all cops. I had friends who defended the cop that was filmed shooting the man in the back as he ran and planting evidence on his dead body, because "The victim should have obeyed orders #bluelivesmatter". They love acting offended that anyone would dare to criticize such a "brave" cop, but who cares? it's a criticism that needs to be made.

I stopped caring if i offend anyone with the truth, everyone feels entitled to act offended these days. Many religious people have told me my criticism of their religions offend them. Should I let them throw gays off buildings to avoid being offensive? Sometimes offense is irrational.

I don't believe in hero worship either, it's possible to be both brave and a jackass.
RedneckNiner
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#13 » by RedneckNiner » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:54 pm

My post was nothing more than an explanation for my decision. And I have seen the obligatory and oblique white nationalist comment. My godfather who taught me to shoot and to whom I owe a debt greater than I can ever repay is African American and a police officer. The girl I dated and was engaged to for over 5 years was African American. My decision to stop watching has not a damn thing to do with race. But to some just as if you disagree with Obama if you dont like the protest you must be racist. To others I reckon it blows their mind that I can call myself a redneck and then not be racist.. The Redneck moniker comes from clise to 30 years ago in high school. I was a country boy grew up in a big farm always wore jeans and cowboy boots to school, had a southern accent and then went to a high school in the city that was predominantly black so the redneck thing was a nit started. Then that deer season I went hunting with some giys from the oline and dline and in my haste to go the deer i shot, i cut my hand coming out of the deer stand.. It would later require a bunch of stitches but at the time all we had was bandaids gauze and duct tape... so i wrapped it with gauze the wrapped duct tape around it for the next two days we were out there. From then on my freshman year of high school till this day to the folks I keep in contact with that has been my nickname. And I freely admit to being one I see nothing negative about the moniker other than the knee jerk reaction of the intellectually lazy and the uneducated to see Redneck and assume racist.

As for the protests itself.. If they knelt prior to, or after the anthem, used their time in press conferences after the game, went on the radio or ESPN, social media or any other avenue I would still be watching. Police Brutality exists. However 99% of the Police Officers are out there doing the right thing. Blue lives Matter, Black Lives Matter.. all lives matter period. Every human life has value. Sports is or rather was a unifying thing. People of disparate backgrounds, political and religious beliefs can come together and have a common interest to talk about and connect. We may be diametrically opposed politically but we can sit have a few beers talk sports and have a great time.

What I do care about is that when all hell broke loose it was those maligned police officers racing into gunfire to save people here in Vegas. And to see the teams kneeling after that as I tried to watch the NFL again turned my stomach. I fully support their right to protest and I am not opposed nor unsympathetic to their cause. I am opposed to how they are doing it.

Its not an issue of being wrapped in the flag, although I believe because of what that flag represents it deserves the respect. The flag is a representation of all who have sacrificed to make our country free and what it is today. The soldiers who fought and died for this country, the police, firefighters, ems and first responders who rush into harms way as everyone else runs away, Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks, all those who fought for civil rights and womens suffrage. The single mom working 60 hours a week and everyone else in this country. Now maybe my beliefs are way off or it makes me whatever popular insult for someone opposed to the trendy view is so be it.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Ray_Dogg » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:39 am

No one is calling you or assuming you are a racist.

I'm just not for a second believing that Trump has made this stance for any other reason than to appeal to his voters. We all know who some of those voters are. This stance he has taken has made it a matter of race. Intentional or not.
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#15 » by I_am_1z » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:39 am

RedneckNiner wrote:My post was nothing more than an explanation for my decision. And I have seen the obligatory and oblique white nationalist comment. My godfather who taught me to shoot and to whom I owe a debt greater than I can ever repay is African American and a police officer. The girl I dated and was engaged to for over 5 years was African American. My decision to stop watching has not a damn thing to do with race. But to some just as if you disagree with Obama if you dont like the protest you must be racist. To others I reckon it blows their mind that I can call myself a redneck and then not be racist.. The Redneck moniker comes from clise to 30 years ago in high school. I was a country boy grew up in a big farm always wore jeans and cowboy boots to school, had a southern accent and then went to a high school in the city that was predominantly black so the redneck thing was a nit started. Then that deer season I went hunting with some giys from the oline and dline and in my haste to go the deer i shot, i cut my hand coming out of the deer stand.. It would later require a bunch of stitches but at the time all we had was bandaids gauze and duct tape... so i wrapped it with gauze the wrapped duct tape around it for the next two days we were out there. From then on my freshman year of high school till this day to the folks I keep in contact with that has been my nickname. And I freely admit to being one I see nothing negative about the moniker other than the knee jerk reaction of the intellectually lazy and the uneducated to see Redneck and assume racist.

As for the protests itself.. If they knelt prior to, or after the anthem, used their time in press conferences after the game, went on the radio or ESPN, social media or any other avenue I would still be watching. Police Brutality exists. However 99% of the Police Officers are out there doing the right thing. Blue lives Matter, Black Lives Matter.. all lives matter period. Every human life has value. Sports is or rather was a unifying thing. People of disparate backgrounds, political and religious beliefs can come together and have a common interest to talk about and connect. We may be diametrically opposed politically but we can sit have a few beers talk sports and have a great time.

What I do care about is that when all hell broke loose it was those maligned police officers racing into gunfire to save people here in Vegas. And to see the teams kneeling after that as I tried to watch the NFL again turned my stomach. I fully support their right to protest and I am not opposed nor unsympathetic to their cause. I am opposed to how they are doing it.

Its not an issue of being wrapped in the flag, although I believe because of what that flag represents it deserves the respect. The flag is a representation of all who have sacrificed to make our country free and what it is today. The soldiers who fought and died for this country, the police, firefighters, ems and first responders who rush into harms way as everyone else runs away, Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks, all those who fought for civil rights and womens suffrage. The single mom working 60 hours a week and everyone else in this country. Now maybe my beliefs are way off or it makes me whatever popular insult for someone opposed to the trendy view is so be it.

You just don't get it. The flag is just a representation...do you realize that? There are real people dying from those who are paid to protect them. The fact that your holding your pride for the flag over REAL PEOPLE BEING SYSTEMATICALLY OPPRESSED FOR THEIR RACE can probably be confused for racism. Literally a police officer shot a 12 year old for playing with a toy gun, that's what they're kneeling for... that's THEIR FLAG TOO, they don't disassociate with their country, but all those kneeling are in agreement there's a problem WE AS AMERICANS need to be aware of. Yet you're cringing at the fact they're kneeling during a song and making you feel a certain way.

How about you ask yourself why you're more distressed about disrespecting the flag than people being tormented for eons, since their ancestors set foot in this country and how it is still just background noise for those in charge of change?
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by NinerSickness » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:23 am

wco81 wrote:Kaepernick is better than Brandon Weeden, whom the Titans just signed.

Has Kaepernick publicly stated he'll play for the minimum? That's what Weeden got.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by NinerSickness » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:25 am

Ray_Dogg wrote:This stance he has taken has made it a matter of race.

How?
Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Post#18 » by Bald Bull » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:48 pm

I don't think you're racist Redneck, you've always been a decent poster. Anything I say is with all due respect.

I just don't understand the emotional investment people put into symbols. It makes me feel like an alien, because it doesn't register in my mind. If I'm honest it feels like brainwashing. All our life we are shown a symbol, we are taught what the symbol means and what it should make us feel, and if anyone doesn't feel the way we feel about the symbol, it's because they are a lesser person than us. I've lost friends over defending kaepernick's right to protest, i'm not sure symbols should mean that much. It's weird to me.

I'll defend the actual freedom over the symbol of freedom any day.

I also worry that our countries sense of patriotism is devolving into nationalism, which i see as a huge threat to freedom. Nationalists have always had a nasty totalitarian streak. Where the patriot may feel content in his personal feelings, the nationalist demands that you feel exactly the way they feel. Nationalists are like the thought police, who attempt to socially engineer their desired outcome rather than offering people the freedom of self-determination. I don't like it.

Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Ray_Dogg » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:11 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
Ray_Dogg wrote:This stance he has taken has made it a matter of race.

How?

By boasting to Alabamans that he would fire those SOBS is a start. The crowd looked very white to me. He's white, they are people of color. Instead of focusing on their protest he's flipped it into a rallying cry for his voter base which is predominantly white. It's pretty clear what he is up to and that's dividing the country. We have stepped way back. Easily the worst embarrassment of a President in my lifetime. The list of bad with him grows by the day. If you think for a second he isn't a bigot then I have nothing else to add. Just look at what he said after Charlottesville. It's crystal.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Ray_Dogg » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:12 pm

I'm done talking about the piece of **** so excuse me for not responding to this thread anymore. I need some kind of oasis from it all.

FOOOOOOTTTTTBBBBBAAAALLLLLL.

Return to San Francisco 49ers