ImageImageImageImageImage

Week 6: 49ers(0-5) @ Redskins (2-2)

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

SeaNinersFan
Freshman
And1: 9

Re: Week 6: 49ers(0-5) @ Redskins (2-2) 

Post#81 » by SeaNinersFan » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:47 pm

I did not get to see the game, how did the Rook do? I know they scored 24 points while he was in along with a very makeable missed FG, what 45ish yards? Do you all think he will start next week?
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#82 » by NinerSickness » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:56 pm

Haven't seen a young, Niner QB do this in a while:

CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#83 » by CalamityX12 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:11 pm

Read on Twitter
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#84 » by NinerSickness » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:45 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,246

Post#85 » by wco81 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:06 pm

More reps in practice.

Bethard was usually pretty decisive. He took a bad sack on a play action shot play and held it too long or maybe didn't know where the safety valve was.

Or maybe didn't think about throwing it away.

On the last drive, when faced with long yardage situations, he didn't show too much accuracy on long throws.

Given where he was drafted though, you wouldn't think he's an arm talent.

Maybe the experience will make him a solid backup, if nothing else.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#86 » by Jikkle » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:31 pm

Beathard had a solid game but far too small of a sample size to take anything conclusive out of it. Some iffy decisions on throws and small other rookie mistakes like delay of game and taking sacks but overall a pretty solid effort.

I feel he's going to get more hype than he deserves because I think the score is a bit on the misleading side. One TD was a freebie from the questionable Davis fumble and another was a long TD to a wide open WR due to busted coverage.

I just didn't see anything from him that I thought was special but like I said still too small of a sample size to take anything good or bad from it.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#87 » by CalamityX12 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:39 am

again not anointing him as our savior but what did Hoyer do(5 1/2 games in) to earn the PT over Beathard? CJ gave us a spark and chances... lets see what the kid has
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Scott T
Starter
And1: 444

Post#88 » by Scott T » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:34 am

This has really been some GOAT level tanking, I couldn't ask for much more, especially now that we're going to see what Beathard can do.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,246

Post#89 » by wco81 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:13 pm

Well the team leads the league in drops. They stopped dropping the ball after Bethard came in.

But let's not kid ourselves that the drops are gone.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 206

Post#90 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:57 pm

I don't think this was Shanahan's plan but Hoyer's poor play forced his hand. The pass that Beatherd made to Robinson where he used his feet and moved to the right Hoyer would never have made. Hoyer is a statue which is okay if you have pocket passer skills which Hoyer has not demonstrated consistently. I get it is Hoyer and can't expect much but still expect more than what he has done. He is almost nonexistent for three quarters. 1 for 6 on 3rd down conversions. Tim Ryan had a lot of good insight about the game on KNBR this morning. On Hoyer he thought there were two routine sideline throws that Hoyer airmailed that sealed his fate.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#91 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:04 pm

I_am_1z wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:
Jim Tom had to deal with an offseason of retirements, Gabbert, and Devey & Pears... don't tell me you had higher expectations for that team.

We were paying him basically nothing. Team was somehow winning games, although there were plenty of blowouts inbetween.

The very next year the team became unwatchable under Kelly. People heavily underestimated what Tomsula did for the DL and we quickly became a team that couldn't stop the run.

Now we're sitting at 0-5 against a weak schedule thus far. I'm sure Tomsula is laughing his way to six pack abs as he's about to bludgeon our OL with the Redskins' much improved DL. Kyle Shanahan is clearly a coach that plays favorites. Aldrick Robinson hasn't seen a drop off in snaps nor has Goodwin (who finally had a good game last week), though both for more than %80 of the season have been awful. Hyde gets benched if that were him. Same with Bowman.

Tomsula is a great Dline coach but clearly in over his head as a HC and couldn't even bring decent coordinators in. Devey and Pears? And whose decision was it to stay with these guys so long when Tiller was clearly better and even Brown would have been a better option. Clearly replacing key defensive staff and bringing in both O'Neil and Mangini as DC's had a lot to do with that. It is no coincidence Cleveland was at the bottom at run defense while O'Neil was DC there. The offense under Kelly was better than what we had to endure under Tomsula. Tomsula couldn't even put two sentences together at a press conference. Seattle and AZ at home and the Rams is a weak schedule?

Tomsula not benching Devey and Pears himself was truly inexcusable, but honestly that was easily rectifiable in the offseason by simply releasing them both. Tomsula not being able to network and find a good coaching staff is laughable. The 49ers were already out of time by then, plus have you seen the coordinators in the NFL continuously recycled throughout the league? New blood wouldn't have been the worst idea. Just because Chip Kelly was name worthy didn't mean he was a better coach than Tomsula. I have no doubt that our defense in year two of "Mangenius" would have been better, instead it went backwards to the tune of allowing 2,600+ rushing yards.

Tomsula could not recruit anyone. Under Chip Kelly last year, our WR coach under Kelly the year before Tomsula offered him the offensive coordinator position and he turned him down. That is how bad it was. They interviewed several people and were turned down more than once. He ended up having to promote from within. You have more faith in Mangini than I do. No reason to believe the defense would have gotten better under Mangini. Promoting a defensive line coach to head coach rarely succeeds. It takes a special talent to do so. Tomsula isn't that type of person and does not have what it takes to be a good HC. Is what happened all his fault? Of course not, but only a fool would have chosen Tomsula over Gase who had success as a coordinator in the NFL. Baalke should have been canned at the end of the year also. Then a new GM could have picked his own coach. Kelly got a raw deal too.
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#92 » by I_am_1z » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:17 am

Pattersonca65 wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
Tomsula is a great Dline coach but clearly in over his head as a HC and couldn't even bring decent coordinators in. Devey and Pears? And whose decision was it to stay with these guys so long when Tiller was clearly better and even Brown would have been a better option. Clearly replacing key defensive staff and bringing in both O'Neil and Mangini as DC's had a lot to do with that. It is no coincidence Cleveland was at the bottom at run defense while O'Neil was DC there. The offense under Kelly was better than what we had to endure under Tomsula. Tomsula couldn't even put two sentences together at a press conference. Seattle and AZ at home and the Rams is a weak schedule?

Tomsula not benching Devey and Pears himself was truly inexcusable, but honestly that was easily rectifiable in the offseason by simply releasing them both. Tomsula not being able to network and find a good coaching staff is laughable. The 49ers were already out of time by then, plus have you seen the coordinators in the NFL continuously recycled throughout the league? New blood wouldn't have been the worst idea. Just because Chip Kelly was name worthy didn't mean he was a better coach than Tomsula. I have no doubt that our defense in year two of "Mangenius" would have been better, instead it went backwards to the tune of allowing 2,600+ rushing yards.

Tomsula could not recruit anyone. Under Chip Kelly last year, our WR coach under Kelly the year before Tomsula offered him the offensive coordinator position and he turned him down. That is how bad it was. They interviewed several people and were turned down more than once. He ended up having to promote from within. You have more faith in Mangini than I do. No reason to believe the defense would have gotten better under Mangini. Promoting a defensive line coach to head coach rarely succeeds. It takes a special talent to do so. Tomsula isn't that type of person and does not have what it takes to be a good HC. Is what happened all his fault? Of course not, but only a fool would have chosen Tomsula over Gase who had success as a coordinator in the NFL. Baalke should have been canned at the end of the year also. Then a new GM could have picked his own coach. Kelly got a raw deal too.

It makes sense for coaches that aren't starving for an opportunity to stay pat and look for the best opportunity available to them, but after Jim Tom's first year I think coaches would have liked what they've seen and been more open to taking the position.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#93 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:40 pm

I_am_1z wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:

It makes sense for coaches that aren't starving for an opportunity to stay pat and look for the best opportunity available to them, but after Jim Tom's first year I think coaches would have liked what they've seen and been more open to taking the position.

That was highly unlikely. Was not going to happen. Several coaches rebuked Tomsula. No one was coming here. Tomsula had to go to NFL Europe to find coaches. Tomsula was way out of his league. This demonstrates it.

Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#94 » by Jikkle » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:25 pm

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article179394356.html

Talks about the Garcon offensive PI call and I agree that was a totally bogus call.

He was running a route, looking at the QB, wasn't making any attempt to pick the defender, and worse of all the ball was actually thrown to him. If it was a designed pick it would've been thrown to the WR he was picking for.

Return to San Francisco 49ers