Post#121 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:23 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=17
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Re: Jimmy G headed to SF 

Post#122 » by ChrisPozz » Tue Dec 5, 2017 1:36 am

Rapoport on potential Garoppolo extension: ‘The Niners are going to have to make the first move’

http://www.knbr.com/2017/12/04/rapoport-on-potential-garoppolo-extension-the-niners-are-going-to-have-to-make-the-first-move/

No player agent is going to make the first move to try to get a deal.

I get what they mean by this specifically to Jimmy G.'s situation but I don't like the statement overall when it comes to other players. Obviously that's not the case and I'd caution people very new to the business side of football that this shouldn't be taken literally with every player all the time.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,254

Post#123 » by wco81 » Tue Dec 5, 2017 5:40 pm

Some good defenses coming up, Jags and Rams.

Texans too though their front 4 or 7 is strong while secondary could be suspect.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#124 » by Jikkle » Tue Dec 5, 2017 5:58 pm

Jimmy G is extension is going to depend on Jimmy G.

I tend to feel the 9ers are more than willing to offer him a very lucrative contract but Jimmy G might want to play on the franchise tag and have a full season under his belt to make that lucrative contract offer even more so.

Some people want to compare this to the Kirk Cousin situation but the reason that's a mess is because of Washington's half-hearted commitment to Cousins and their low ball contract offers. If Washington offered a market value contract Cousin's would've been signed to a long-term deal there.

In the 9ers case I don't see them having any issues making Jimmy G a very rich man and I'm sure they are begging him to give them a reason to make that so.
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#125 » by soxfan2003 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 7:21 am

Patriots fan who grew up disliking the 49ers because of the ease in which they often destroyed the league but who now lives in the Bay area. I kind of think the 49ers just landed someone who is perhaps the closest QB to Aaron Rodgers in the NFL. Not saying as good as Rodgers since that guy has been ridiculous in some of the games I have watched but impressive nevertheless. Even the pessimistic Patriots fans I know who even downplay Brady, pretty much all think Jimmy G will be a star QB if healthy. Of course, some of those pessimists think he will be doomed to injury. I don't believe that but I do think that is the only major relative risk with the guy.

Every report out there indicates that BB really did not want to trade JImmy G but with Brady playing at near MVP level this year, it was going to be impossible justify getting rid of Brady after this season even if he lost in first round of the playoffs. And then the Patriots have to pay Jimmy G over 20-25 million next year destroying Patriots cap or trade Brady and take a huge PR hit.

With all due respect to Steve Grogan and Drew Bledsoe, I believe the Patriots just traded away their 2nd most talented QB in franchise history. Granted neither of those guys were Steve Young but both were very good in their respective in eras in their own particular ways. I am not even sure its a close contest in terms of skill and I loved Grogan for his toughness and Bledsoe for turning around the team from some awful days. Both Grogan and Bledsoe had toughness and played through injury and that again is really the genuine test for Jimmy G.

Patriots fans are spoiled and its going to be very hard to get a Brady successor nearly as good as Jimmy G.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#126 » by NinerSickness » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:52 am

I didn't see Jimmy's pick. Was it on him, or was it another drop?
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#127 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:18 am

NinerSickness wrote:I didn't see Jimmy's pick. Was it on him, or was it another drop?

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2017121004/2017/REG14/49ers@Texans?icampaign=scoreStrip-globalNav-2017121004#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A0ap3000000889973&tab=analyze&analyze=playbyplay

Not sure if the right video will play RIGHT when you open this link. If it doesn't, scroll down to the play-by-play and you can click the highlight video of the pick.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#128 » by NinerSickness » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:32 am

ChrisPozz wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:I didn't see Jimmy's pick. Was it on him, or was it another drop?

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2017121004/2017/REG14/49ers@Texans?icampaign=scoreStrip-globalNav-2017121004#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A0ap3000000889973&tab=analyze&analyze=playbyplay

Not sure if the right video will play RIGHT when you open this link. If it doesn't, scroll down to the play-by-play and you can click the highlight video of the pick.

Thanks CP! Looks like Trent either broke the wrong way, or it was just a really, really bad pass from Jimmy (or Jimmy forgot which way the WR is supposed to break). I'd say probably the latter.

Those are things that'll get better as he learns the playbook better.
wco81
RealGM

Post#129 » by wco81 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:36 am

I think he was pressured too.

And maybe didn't anticipate the LB dropping into the zone where the target would be going.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#130 » by CalamityX12 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:07 pm

that INT only lowers his value LOL...

jk
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
wco81
RealGM

Post#131 » by wco81 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:50 pm

There's talk that 49er could still try to acquire Cousins or draft a QB and then trade JG for more than they paid to get him.

I saw clips of the locker room after the Texans win. Seemed to be a happy crowd in there, Jed shaking each player's hand as they entered the locker room after the game.

Kyle was smiling as he gave the post-game speech too.

Can't imagine they'd trade JG but hey, if they could get a top 15 pick ...?
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#132 » by Jikkle » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:06 pm

wco81 wrote:There's talk that 49er could still try to acquire Cousins or draft a QB and then trade JG for more than they paid to get him.

I saw clips of the locker room after the Texans win. Seemed to be a happy crowd in there, Jed shaking each player's hand as they entered the locker room after the game.

Kyle was smiling as he gave the post-game speech too.

Can't imagine they'd trade JG but hey, if they could get a top 15 pick ...?

All that Cousins and draft a QB talk was just media talking heads throwing speculation out there. The only way that would've happened is if Jimmy G and Kyle had a disconnect in their relationship in the time that he's here.

It's clear they traded for him with every intention of him being the franchise QB and so far in two games it seems all sides involved are pleased with the situation they are all in.

In fact my guess is the 9ers find a way to sign him to a long-term deal in the offseason. I think they know his asking price is only going to increase so locking him up in the offseason would be buying as low as he's going to come. The only hang up for a deal would be if Jimmy G wants to play under the franchise tag knowing that playing a full season would increase his value.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#133 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:16 pm

The only speculation I could entertain now is the Jimmy for both Cleveland's firsts....

if not, I'd keep Jimmy G
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
wco81
RealGM

Post#134 » by wco81 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:53 pm

If JG can throw for 4000 yards, 25 TDs, fewer than 10 ints. on 65% passing for the next 5-10 years, there's no price high enough.

Those are pretty high benchmarks but hopefully not unrealistic.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#135 » by ChrisPozz » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:05 pm

Schefter: With Browns begging for Jimmy Garoppolo, Bill Belichick felt 49ers would ‘do right by Jimmy G’

http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/112567-schefter-browns-begging-garoppolo-belichick-49ers-would-right/
Dloading99
Pro Prospect
And1: 162

Post#136 » by Dloading99 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:43 am

Typical 49ers.

PAY DA MAN. This guy is a beast. I've seen it all. he looks like Aaron Rodgers Yeah I said it. the Texans Game really sold it for me. With JaDeavean Clowney Screaming at him. running at him full speed. he was able to move in the pocket get away from him and sling it for a Touchdown. even if you look at the way he throws the ball it's Aaron Rodgers. he's so cool. he has all the Quarterback intangibles.

This guy should've signed a long term contract after that Texans game. I can't believe the Patriots didn't keep this guy. and you look like fools and you look at how Brady is playing now. they should've kept Jimmy. See Jimmy wasn't like Aaron Rodgers Rodgers just shut up and then started when Green Bay put him in. Rodgers didn't say I gotta play now and Made him trade him. so Brady was like nope I want to keep playing. and Bellicheck really wanted Jimmy I think that was Ownership. I think Jimmy just came to us cause the Pats didn't want to trade in Conference. Cleveland gonna Cleveland.

But when you see a Franchise Quarterback you want to see a few things. does he have an ability to make his teammates better. look at how great the receivers are playing. it's obvious.

then look at the overall team. Does he have an ability to lead. the team is lead by him. everyone talks about how great Jimmy is. he just has a great personality. what a guy.

AND YALL Calm down. I'm not saying nothing. look he has that Joe Montana cool. where he's just a cool dude. guys like him. and when you have a guy like that. Guys want to sign and play with him. WE are good. I think we've got one of the best Quarterbacks in the Division. this is very unique. the patriots traded Bersett. and I really think they wanted Jimmy to be their guy.

Now QUESTION Niners nation. do you want to trade the number four pick for a guy like ODELL Beckham and win a Super Bowl and start our new Montana to Rice. we already have Carlos Hyde or do you want to just Draft Saquon Barkley. I see No ODELL Beckhams in this draft.
wco81
RealGM

Post#137 » by wco81 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:02 pm

Bucky Brooks made the point that 49ers can pay JG now or if they wait, they would have to pay him more.

JG is 5-0 in his five career starts.

The real test will be the Jaguars defense which is one of the best in the league. Jags really made Rothlisberger work and have a bad game. Ben got over 300 yards but on 55 pass attempts and threw 5 picks and the Steelers only scored 9 points back in October:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400951655

If JG has a good game against that defense, with the 49ers OL and receiving corps, it would be pretty convincing that he's the real deal.

We're talking 250 yards, no more than 1 int. One thing he hasn't been able to do is convert red zone opportunities to TDs though. If they can put up at least 20 points against that defense, it would be a good sign.

If he does that, good time to try to sign him to a discounted extension, vs. franchising him and then trying to give him an extension after he's put up more good games and numbers.
Dloading99
Pro Prospect
And1: 162

Post#138 » by Dloading99 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:55 am

This guy has it. pay him pay him already.

look at the QBs he's one of the best in the league. Joe Montana cool. pocket poise mobility can make accurate throws. the Patriots had a good one. and theirs a reason Bellicheck wanted to keep him over Brady we got a great player cause Brady told the patriots he's still playing and Jimmy G wanted to play. we got a guy who just wins games. great Quarterback. the Jags game will be a great game for a measuring stick but I still think he plays great. and you gotta pay him.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#139 » by NinerSickness » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:16 am

Now that Rosen is out of reach, it's Jimmy G or bust.

I hope the Niners draft a nice backup, though. Maybe if Josh Allen drops far enough, they could make him into a project.

The dude from Washington might be a good, late-round backup.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#140 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:08 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=17

Return to San Francisco 49ers