Read on Twitter
yellowknifer
Analyst
And1: 2,337

Re: Jimmy G headed to SF 

Post#202 » by yellowknifer » Tue Jan 2, 2018 10:31 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
Jikkle wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:Jimmy G VS Jared Goff: Whom would you rather have? I'm thinking Jimmy.

Jimmy easily because I do think he has a chance to be special whereas Goff I think will be in that good QB but one that you wouldn't consider special.

In fact when the dust settles I think Jimmy G will be the best QB in the NFC West.

I've always thought Wilson as being a bit overrated and getting too much of a pass due to having a bad offensive line and him being able to pull off multiple highlight reel kind of big plays. But I consider him extremely special scrambler but just above average pocket QB. He's had plenty of games that have been duds and those are usually the games where the defensive line is disciplined and keeps him from moving to where he wants to move.

You never say "Wilson is carving up the defense with surgical precision" but you usually say "How did Wilson escape and make that play?"

I think saying Wilson is above average in the pocket is being generous. He does record some good ratings from the pocket but I think some of that is due to play calling where he makes simple one read throws from the pocket. Rather than step into the pocket, he often will spin around and escape from the pocket. He does make some amazing plays when he does that but he also sometimes misses open receivers had he just stepped up into the pocket and thrown the ball

Harder to step up when you're as short as Wilson. He's annoying to play against. Very unique style. Not an overall amazing QB in the purest sense but a backyard sandlot type for sure. I really hate him.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Post#203 » by Jikkle » Tue Jan 2, 2018 11:50 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=17

Nothing earth-shattering here but I think it confirms they'll aim for a long-term deal this offseason.

If he didn't play a snap this year I think both sides would've just done the franchise tag and aim for a deal next offseason.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 942

Post#204 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Jan 3, 2018 12:54 am

wco81 wrote:well if he gets a rep that he can't throw long, then the safeties are going to move up and try to sit on those underneath throws.

Yes, but that's where his vision, anticipation, and release come into play. As that video notes, Telvin Smith made a great break on the ball over and over in that Jags game, but wasn't able to jump the route because Garoppolo gets the ball out too quickly. I think he can still be effective even with the deep ball struggles, but he'll need to improve it to become a franchise guy, IMO.
Dloading99
Pro Prospect
And1: 162

Post#205 » by Dloading99 » Fri Jan 5, 2018 7:21 am

He's a great Quarterback. not all Quarterbacks have great arms. Montana didn't have the best arm. he just wins. he makes plays he throws touchdowns. he has poise he's a accurate. he's a great quarterback. a Tom Brady a Joe Montana. that's what Bellicheck saw in him. Brady Pushed for the Trade and Bellicheck went for it. they flucked up.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,266

Post#206 » by wco81 » Fri Jan 5, 2018 9:20 am

I don't know what the scouting was on JG before he was drafted but Kyle referred to his arm talent so apparently he was graded well in that area despite coming from a small program.

Ray Ratto is talking about $30 million a year, 7 years, over $100 million guaranteed.

IOW, the highest NFL contract by a good margin.

I want to see the team signing him long term but don't you usually give out those kinds of deals only to QBs who have a much greater resume than 5 games with the team, 7 total NFL starts?
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#207 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Jan 5, 2018 4:48 pm

I'd be on board with a Derek Carr-type contract. I've even come around to making him the highest paid player in the league (wouldn't expect it to be for long). But Ratto's numbers seem like funny money. And I'm not sure Garoppolo would want to tie himself down for that long, though it's possible. I guess the benefit of that sort of deal is that, by year five, it could be a real bargain.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#208 » by Jikkle » Fri Jan 5, 2018 9:57 pm

I think he'll go for a 4 or 5 year deal.

With a 4 or 5 year deal that puts him at 30-31 years of age and that still keeps him in prime position to get another long-term deal at whatever top QB money is going for at that time.

I'd put money on a Carr type of deal moneywise because that still makes him very rich and a top paid player but I think on his side of things he knows he probably can't command richest contract in NFL history based on 7 starts.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#209 » by NinerSickness » Sat Jan 6, 2018 6:35 am

So apparently Brady was zero help to Jimmy in NE. They were friendly, but Brady saw him as the enemy like Joe saw Steve. :o
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#210 » by NinerSickness » Mon Jan 8, 2018 4:29 am

Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#211 » by Ray_Dogg » Mon Jan 8, 2018 4:30 am

Jimmy Geezus gonna get Kilgore a new deal.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#212 » by CalamityX12 » Mon Jan 8, 2018 4:44 am

Ray_Dogg wrote:Jimmy Geezus gonna get Kilgore a new deal.

The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,266

Post#213 » by wco81 » Mon Jan 8, 2018 5:31 am

Is that what Kilgore looks like?

Does he have gray hair?
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#214 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Jan 8, 2018 6:25 pm

wco81 wrote:Is that what Kilgore looks like?

Does he have gray hair?

Kilgore's hair has been changing somewhat rapidly for a while now. The process didn't start too much longer after he was drafted.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#215 » by Jikkle » Mon Jan 8, 2018 7:08 pm

wco81 wrote:Is that what Kilgore looks like?

Does he have gray hair?

Looks like it's just premature greying. Me and my brother have the same thing and you'll have a fair amount of grey by the time you hit your 30's.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#216 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Jan 8, 2018 7:47 pm

Wish I was graying more and balding less....
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#217 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Jan 8, 2018 9:46 pm

Report: Browns would have given Houston’s first for Garoppolo

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/08/report-browns-would-have-given-houstons-first-for-garoppolo/

the one thing that can’t be argued is that the 49ers got a steal — finding a quarterback of the future for a second-round pick.

Because of the OTHER noise going on around the Jimmy G.-New England story line, it's kind of crazy how little debate there still is going on about that. I get it. The debate will ramp up again towards the start of the new league year. But at the same time it kind of feels like the other noisy stuff going on has kind of made some people already assume or pushed them into thinking that it's going to go so swimmingly in San Francisco for him.

Maybe I'm just the pessimistic jerk that's being stubborn about this because I was never the biggest Jimmy G. fan. :)
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#218 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon Jan 8, 2018 10:06 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:Report: Browns would have given Houston’s first for Garoppolo

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/08/report-browns-would-have-given-houstons-first-for-garoppolo/

the one thing that can’t be argued is that the 49ers got a steal — finding a quarterback of the future for a second-round pick.

Because of the OTHER noise going on around the Jimmy G.-New England story line, it's kind of crazy how little debate there still is going on about that. I get it. The debate will ramp up again towards the start of the new league year. But at the same time it kind of feels like the other noisy stuff going on has kind of made some people already assume or pushed them into thinking that it's going to go so swimmingly in San Francisco for him.

Maybe I'm just the pessimistic jerk that's being stubborn about this because I was never the biggest Jimmy G. fan. :)

This is the type of thing the NFL dream of simply to get even more ratings. If they're on our schedule for 2018 that story line will cause that game to be broadcast nationally (Sunday Night or Monday Night)?
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#219 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Jan 8, 2018 11:43 pm

yellowknifer wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
Jikkle wrote:
Jimmy easily because I do think he has a chance to be special whereas Goff I think will be in that good QB but one that you wouldn't consider special.

In fact when the dust settles I think Jimmy G will be the best QB in the NFC West.

I've always thought Wilson as being a bit overrated and getting too much of a pass due to having a bad offensive line and him being able to pull off multiple highlight reel kind of big plays. But I consider him extremely special scrambler but just above average pocket QB. He's had plenty of games that have been duds and those are usually the games where the defensive line is disciplined and keeps him from moving to where he wants to move.

You never say "Wilson is carving up the defense with surgical precision" but you usually say "How did Wilson escape and make that play?"

I think saying Wilson is above average in the pocket is being generous. He does record some good ratings from the pocket but I think some of that is due to play calling where he makes simple one read throws from the pocket. Rather than step into the pocket, he often will spin around and escape from the pocket. He does make some amazing plays when he does that but he also sometimes misses open receivers had he just stepped up into the pocket and thrown the ball

Harder to step up when you're as short as Wilson. He's annoying to play against. Very unique style. Not an overall amazing QB in the purest sense but a backyard sandlot type for sure. I really hate him.

He had a couple of killers against us, but I think over the years going back to Harbaugh the ineptness of our offense to generate any offense against Seattle is what hurt us. 3 and outs all game so even though we would do a good job against Wilson our defense was out on the field the whole game giving Wilson a ton of chances to make something happen
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#220 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Jan 9, 2018 1:06 am

ChrisPozz wrote:Report: Browns would have given Houston’s first for Garoppolo

There is, of course, still a chance that the trade won't work out for the Niners. But just based on what he showed this last year, and the market for QBs in today's NFL, it's pretty clear he could have gone for MUCH more than what the Niners gave up for him. In that sense, he was a relative bargain.

Return to San Francisco 49ers