ImageImageImageImageImage

Jimmy G headed to SF

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Re: Jimmy G headed to SF 

Post#241 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:26 pm

I was reviewing some videos of Garoppolo's two starts with the Pats, and noticed that he struggled throwing the deep ball in those games, too. Some of that could be chalked up to not being able to step into one or two, unfamiliarity with the receivers (though presumably he was getting the first team reps at that time), or miscommunication, but that looks like something of a recurring pattern to me. Given his accuracy and anticipation within 20 yards, it's not devastating, but something that he'll really have to work on if he wants to be elite.
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#242 » by ChrisPozz » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:57 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:I was reviewing some videos of Garoppolo's two starts with the Pats, and noticed that he struggled throwing the deep ball in those games, too. Some of that could be chalked up to not being able to step into one or two, unfamiliarity with the receivers (though presumably he was getting the first team reps at that time), or miscommunication, but that looks like something of a recurring pattern to me. Given his accuracy and anticipation within 20 yards, it's not devastating, but something that he'll really have to work on if he wants to be elite.

The deep ball stuff is almost always a combination of some things but a larger chunk of the blame pie for him isn't something he can control IMO - hand size. He's just a tick above 9 inches. He's fortunate to have better deep ball mechanics than a bunch of other smaller handed players but I think some of the ducks in the past are due to the fact that his hands are a big part of the blame pie.

I know some people didn't love how low he'd hold the ball low with some of the other mechanical stuff he did in school, and that's probably a part of the blame pie as well, but that'll always be an issue for him.

And I'm not one to subscribe to small hands = inaccurate/ineffective downfield passer either. Plenty of small handed QBs have been efficient throwing the ball down the field. I just think, or maybe to put it better, I could see how a coach could see his hands and determine that with his set up and delivery, which is a positive overall for him IMO (the delivery), that it's a large chunk of the pie in determining some of the downfield stuff with him for now.

How much can he work around that and try to incorporate other ideas into his motions to help fix it? That's a deeper discussion and one you'd probably have to have after working with him one-on-one.

Obviously familiarity with those around him and tailoring an offense around your eyes specifically could fix the problem as well but only up to a point IMO. I don't want to state this and make it all about one thing. It's a blame pie discussion here and those are just a couple of the things I've wondered about myself.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#243 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:36 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:I was reviewing some videos of Garoppolo's two starts with the Pats, and noticed that he struggled throwing the deep ball in those games, too. Some of that could be chalked up to not being able to step into one or two, unfamiliarity with the receivers (though presumably he was getting the first team reps at that time), or miscommunication, but that looks like something of a recurring pattern to me. Given his accuracy and anticipation within 20 yards, it's not devastating, but something that he'll really have to work on if he wants to be elite.

The deep ball stuff is almost always a combination of some things but a larger chunk of the blame pie for him isn't something he can control IMO - hand size. He's just a tick above 9 inches. He's fortunate to have better deep ball mechanics than a bunch of other smaller handed players but I think some of the ducks in the past are due to the fact that his hands are a big part of the blame pie.

I know some people didn't love how low he'd hold the ball low with some of the other mechanical stuff he did in school, and that's probably a part of the blame pie as well, but that'll always be an issue for him.

And I'm not one to subscribe to small hands = inaccurate/ineffective downfield passer either. Plenty of small handed QBs have been efficient throwing the ball down the field. I just think, or maybe to put it better, I could see how a coach could see his hands and determine that with his set up and delivery, which is a positive overall for him IMO (the delivery), that it's a large chunk of the pie in determining some of the downfield stuff with him for now.

How much can he work around that and try to incorporate other ideas into his motions to help fix it? That's a deeper discussion and one you'd probably have to have after working with him one-on-one.

Obviously familiarity with those around him and tailoring an offense around your eyes specifically could fix the problem as well but only up to a point IMO. I don't want to state this and make it all about one thing. It's a blame pie discussion here and those are just a couple of the things I've wondered about myself.

He needs to figure it out...! It’s a shame he wasn’t able to fully utilized Goodwin’s skill set as a deep threat.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#244 » by ChrisPozz » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:45 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#245 » by Jikkle » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:42 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jikkle
Analyst

Post#246 » by Jikkle » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:53 pm

thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,209

Post#247 » by thesack12 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:45 pm

Jimmy Garoppolo - QB - 49ers

49ers GM John Lynch confirmed he wants to extend free agent Jimmy Garoppolo.

"We believe we found the right guy. Now the challenge is getting Jimmy signed. We’re working hard toward that. It makes too much sense for it not to happen. Just a matter of getting it done." The 49ers are committed to Garoppolo and look prepared to give him top-15 quarterback money ($20M-plus annually). Garoppolo will be franchised if a deal isn't reached before early March.

Source: NBC Bay Area

Jan 24 - 6:22 PM

Pretty much a non update, update.

But if they can extend him on "top 15 QB money," that would be a huge plus for the team.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#248 » by Jikkle » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:18 pm

http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/113570-schefter-garoppolo-agent-not-rush-long-term-deal-done/

I fully expect a deal to get done in the offseason but I can see it taking a while because there really isn't any need to rush things on Jimmy G's side.

It's better for him to stand pat and wait to see what happens with Cousins and Rodgers contracts than to just rush into a deal.

People will try to compare this to the Redskins and Cousins situation but I don't think it's remotely the same. Because I don't think the 9ers have any issue giving Jimmy G a huge contract and to me it's all about just sitting down and hammering it out eventually.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#249 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:04 pm

I’ve decided to post this here because this news indirectly affects us as well:

Kirk Cousins - QB - Redskins

After the Redskins' acquisition of Alex Smith on Tuesday night, free agent Kirk Cousins is fully expected to hit the open market when the new league year opens March 14.

Washington wasn't going to use the franchise tag on Cousins for the third straight year and be on the hook for a guaranteed $34 million, and signs had begun to point to Cousins leaving D.C. with no interest in a long-term deal from his side of things. Thus, the trade for Smith. Cousins' market figures to be absolutely robust as the best free agent quarterback to hit the open market in years. Expect plenty of teams to be in the running, including the Jets, Cardinals, Jaguars, Browns, Bills, Broncos, Vikings, and whoever else. It's likely Cousins will reset the quarterback market as the highest-paid player at the position when all is said and done.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jan 30 - 9:49 PM
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#250 » by wco81 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:28 pm

Hmm would the 49ers use Cousins as leverage to tamp down Jimmys salary demands?
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#251 » by ChrisPozz » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:47 pm

Jikkle
Analyst

Post#252 » by Jikkle » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:11 pm

wco81 wrote:Hmm would the 49ers use Cousins as leverage to tamp down Jimmys salary demands?

It's more like whatever contract Cousins signs will give even more leverage to Jimmy G.

Jimmy G can easily call any of the 9ers bluffs because he knows that if he did hit the FA market teams would be lining up to give him top dollar.

But I do believe both sides are committed to each other and it's a matter of waiting for other QBs that are due new deals to set the market and go from there.
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 130

Post#253 » by MHSL82 » Thu Feb 1, 2018 1:09 am

Jikkle wrote:http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/113570-schefter-garoppolo-agent-not-rush-long-term-deal-done/

I fully expect a deal to get done in the offseason but I can see it taking a while because there really isn't any need to rush things on Jimmy G's side.

It's better for him to stand pat and wait to see what happens with Cousins and Rodgers contracts than to just rush into a deal.

People will try to compare this to the Redskins and Cousins situation but I don't think it's remotely the same. Because I don't think the 9ers have any issue giving Jimmy G a huge contract and to me it's all about just sitting down and hammering it out eventually.

I fully expect Tom Brady to play as long as he can well beyond this season. But hypothetically speaking if he did retire after the Super Bowl, do you think there'd be a chance the Garropollo goes back? (Assuming Bil Belichick remains.) I don't know if bridges were burned there. All I know is that he wasn't going to sign to be a backup. I also don't know their cap situation.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#254 » by Jikkle » Thu Feb 1, 2018 1:13 pm

MHSL82 wrote:
Jikkle wrote:http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/113570-schefter-garoppolo-agent-not-rush-long-term-deal-done/

I fully expect Tom Brady to play as long as he can well beyond this season. But hypothetically speaking if he did retire after the Super Bowl, do you think there'd be a chance the Garropollo goes back? (Assuming Bil Belichick remains.) I don't know if bridges were burned there. All I know is that he wasn't going to sign to be a backup. I also don't know their cap situation.

Well he's going to get franchised so that would end any means of him going back there.

But other than that I don't think there is really any incentive for him to go back there. McDaniels is gone and even if Belichick came back he's probably got just a couple of years before he calls it quits.

Shanahan regardless of what you think of him as a HC or person is one of the top offensive minds in football and you know for sure he's going to be the 9ers coach for at worst 3 years but more than likely beyond that. So for a QB that wants to build his own legacy working with Shanahan is a really good spot to be in because Shanahan is going to make you look really good as a QB.

My take as it's always been is that eventually the 9ers will get a long-term deal done and right now it's just a matter of waiting to see how the rest of the QB deals shape up before nailing down the final numbers.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 206

Post#255 » by Pattersonca65 » Thu Feb 1, 2018 6:19 pm

Jikkle wrote:
MHSL82 wrote:

Well he's going to get franchised so that would end any means of him going back there.

But other than that I don't think there is really any incentive for him to go back there. McDaniels is gone and even if Belichick came back he's probably got just a couple of years before he calls it quits.

Shanahan regardless of what you think of him as a HC or person is one of the top offensive minds in football and you know for sure he's going to be the 9ers coach for at worst 3 years but more than likely beyond that. So for a QB that wants to build his own legacy working with Shanahan is a really good spot to be in because Shanahan is going to make you look really good as a QB.

My take as it's always been is that eventually the 9ers will get a long-term deal done and right now it's just a matter of waiting to see how the rest of the QB deals shape up before nailing down the final numbers.

Yep, I think we can see the potential end of the New England dynasty on the horizon. Brady doesn't have long and Belicheck isn't going to stick around forever. He might not want to stick around for a big rebuild
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#256 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Feb 1, 2018 7:25 pm

Grant Cohn out with an article about how the Niners should trade Garoppolo and add Cousins. I'm not linking to it because I don't want to throw the clicks his way, though you can find it easily enough if you want.

I'm pretty sure it's just Cohn trying to get a rise out of people (it's his schtick), but his analysis was poor at best. Basically, his argument was that Cousins might be a little worse - and his reasons for that were questionable - but Cousins and the picks you could get for Garoppolo was better. I don't think you can apply that to QB. If you like a QB more, then who cares about the picks? Even three first rounders aren't worth it if you think you've got a winner at the QB position. Cousins is a solid starting QB, even a good QB. But he's not a game-changer. Garoppolo has far more upside in my view. He still has to answer some questions, but I can't see getting rid of him to go with a QB who is 26-30-1 for his career (and 24-23-1 as a full-time starter, so it's not like he had one terrible season dragging him down) and has struggled in the playoffs.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#257 » by ChrisPozz » Thu Feb 1, 2018 7:27 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Grant Cohn out with an article about how the Niners should trade Garoppolo and add Cousins. I'm not linking to it because I don't want to throw the clicks his way, though you can find it easily enough if you want.

I'm pretty sure it's just Cohn trying to get a rise out of people (it's his schtick), but his analysis was poor at best. Basically, his argument was that Cousins might be a little worse - and his reasons for that were questionable - but Cousins and the picks you could get for Garoppolo was better. I don't think you can apply that to QB. If you like a QB more, then who cares about the picks? Even three first rounders aren't worth it if you think you've got a winner at the QB position. Cousins is a solid starting QB, even a good QB. But he's not a game-changer. Garoppolo has far more upside in my view. He still has to answer some questions, but I can't see getting rid of him to go with a QB who is 26-30-1 for his career (and 24-23-1 as a full-time starter, so it's not like he had one terrible season dragging him down) and has struggled in the playoffs.

Was that article before or after his argument that Bill Belichick has had a "destructive impact on the NFL's popularity?" :nonono: (Rhetorical question)
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#258 » by wco81 » Thu Feb 1, 2018 7:50 pm

Pats need Brady to take a discount.

Jimmy hasn't made money like Tom has, so he wouldn't give the Pats a discount.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#259 » by Jikkle » Thu Feb 1, 2018 10:41 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Grant Cohn out with an article about how the Niners should trade Garoppolo and add Cousins. I'm not linking to it because I don't want to throw the clicks his way, though you can find it easily enough if you want.

That was easily one of the worst takes I've seen from him and he's had a lot of bad takes. It was the very definition of grasping at straws.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#260 » by ChrisPozz » Sun Feb 4, 2018 1:52 pm

Return to San Francisco 49ers