ImageImageImageImageImage

Jimmy G headed to SF

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Re: Jimmy G headed to SF 

Post#381 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:47 pm

I know one thing me and Clyde were one of the few that was really high on Lamar Jackson when he entered the draft two years ago. I believe he was the last pick of the draft and we applauded Ozzie saying “he did it again”.

Anyway, with his current injury, if Tua Tagovailoa were to take a tremendous dive in the draft as a result let me be the first to say WE BETTER DRAFT HIM!!
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#382 » by Jikkle » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:52 pm

Encouraging to see that it looks like Jimmy G is starting to put things together.

Still turns the ball over a little too much but he's improved in the regard compared to where he was in the beginning of the season. He's not throwing as many of those "what in the world are you thinking" passes as it seemed like he was good for at least once or twice a game.

What I am liking is his accuracy has improved and he's doing a much better job of putting the ball in spots that receivers can catch the ball and get chunks of YAC.

Still has room to improve but it seems like the combination of experience and knocking the rust off from the knee injury he's starting to look more like the guy at the end of 2017 that had everyone excited.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#383 » by NinerSickness » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:16 am

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:I know one thing me and Clyde were one of the few that was really high on Lamar Jackson when he entered the draft two years ago. I believe he was the last pick of the draft and we applauded Ozzie saying “he did it again”.

Anyway, with his current injury, if Tua Tagovailoa were to take a tremendous dive in the draft as a result let me be the first to say WE BETTER DRAFT HIM!!

That was a great call so far, but I’d still be nervous if I were a Ravens’ fan. Lots of running QBs get hot early & fade fast (especially when they take as many hits as Jackson does).
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#384 » by Jikkle » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:52 am

NinerSickness wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:I know one thing me and Clyde were one of the few that was really high on Lamar Jackson when he entered the draft two years ago. I believe he was the last pick of the draft and we applauded Ozzie saying “he did it again”.

That was a great call so far, but I’d still be nervous if I were a Ravens’ fan. Lots of running QBs get hot early & fade fast (especially when they take as many hits as Jackson does).

I'll wait and see how he does next season to really get an idea of what he'll be.

How many times have we heard "never seen a talent like this", "no way to stop him", "he's better version of X was back in his day", "can't stop this offense", and etc etc before. And the player either completely fades out or comes down to earth the next year.

Last year it was Mahomes and make no mistake Mahomes is still great but he did come back down to earth this season.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#385 » by NinerSickness » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:11 am

Jikkle wrote:I'll wait and see how he does next season to really get an idea of what he'll be.

How many times have we heard "never seen a talent like this", "no way to stop him", "he's better version of X was back in his day", "can't stop this offense", and etc etc before. And the player either completely fades out or comes down to earth the next year.

Last year it was Mahomes and make no mistake Mahomes is still great but he did come back down to earth this season.

98% of NFL fans are goldfish. And that includes most of the sports media.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#386 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:20 am

Jikkle wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:

I'll wait and see how he does next season to really get an idea of what he'll be.

The better analogy might be Jackson's backup. RGIII looked like a future HOFer as a rookie, then came crashing back to earth fast. Now, he never looked as good as Jackson has this year, but there is definitely a trend in the NFL of running QBs having early success but struggling as teams adjust to their style of play. We'll see if that happens with Jackson, and to what extent.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#387 » by NinerSickness » Mon Feb 3, 2020 6:01 am

Time to revisit Jimmy G’s competence at QB?

He came through against the Saints and against a severely banged up Seattle (by an inch). But did any QB in the NFL have a better supporting cast than Jimmy this year?

Now that we’ve seen him with all the chips down, I have my doubts. Can his supporting cast get a ton better? I don’t know. :-?
Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Post#388 » by Bald Bull » Mon Feb 3, 2020 9:07 am

NinerSickness wrote:Time to revisit Jimmy G’s competence at QB?

He came through against the Saints and against a severely banged up Seattle (by an inch). But did any QB in the NFL have a better supporting cast than Jimmy this year?

Now that we’ve seen him with all the chips down, I have my doubts. Can his supporting cast get a ton better? I don’t know. :-?

He was an Emmanuel Sanders deep pass away from this game ending with a completely different narrative. Do you think deep passes are something that can be improved? or is it you either have it or you don't?

I'm willing to give him another year to see if the % of WTF passes and deep balls improve. I don't see any reason to think what he has can't be developed. I'd consider trying to find an upgrade at QB coach if possible.

Who are we going to get that's better than Jimmy though, and how many years will it be till we find "the one"? Will our window be closed by then? is it BDN?
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#389 » by NinerSickness » Mon Feb 3, 2020 1:11 pm

Bald Bull wrote:

He was an Emmanuel Sanders deep pass away from this game ending with a completely different narrative. Do you think deep passes are something that can be improved? or is it you either have it or you don't?

I'm willing to give him another year to see if the % of WTF passes and deep balls improve. I don't see any reason to think what he has can't be developed. I'd consider trying to find an upgrade at QB coach if possible.

Who are we going to get that's better than Jimmy though, and how many years will it be till we find "the one"? Will our window be closed by then? is it BDN?

1. The deep ball probably loses the game anyway if it connects. There was plenty of time for the Chiefs’ 4-down offense to score.

2. His accuracy isn’t going to improve. He’s not Drew Brees, and he never will be. I’ve never seen a great QB make as many off-target QBs as Jimmy.

3. Who’s gonna be better? Nobody. But they can start over with a young & cheap and load up talent at other positions.

Copied from the GDT

Either he’s a ton better than we all think, and Sanders / Deebo / Kittle / that O-line is riding his coat tails or vice versa.

But experience is not going to improve Jimmy. He is what he is. Either he needs to go, or they need to significantly upgrade the WR / RB core and / or OL. I’ll grant you Person sucks ass, and Richburg was out, but every team has a bad starter & injuries.

So your plan of bringing the same team back is insane. Either Jimmy’s not good enough or his guys weren’t. And if the latter, then who?
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,251

Post#390 » by wco81 » Mon Feb 3, 2020 4:37 pm

I think the bigger question is Kyle's play calling and game management.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#391 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon Feb 3, 2020 7:05 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#392 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Feb 3, 2020 7:12 pm

Bald Bull wrote:

Deep ball accuracy can definitely improve, and Garoppolo has already shown some. He was terrible at it in his first couple years, and he has gradually gotten better. But he's still not very good at it.

Elite QBs like Brady and Brees had raps early in their career that they could not throw the deep ball. Both guys worked at it and became among the better deep ball throwers in the league despite probably below average arm strength. The deep ball stuff is a secondary concern IMO - the vision, decision-making, and short-area accuracy are much more important - but it's got to be there for this offense to truly hum.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#393 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Feb 3, 2020 7:19 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
Bald Bull wrote:

1. The deep ball probably loses the game anyway if it connects. There was plenty of time for the Chiefs’ 4-down offense to score.

2. His accuracy isn’t going to improve. He’s not Drew Brees, and he never will be. I’ve never seen a great QB make as many off-target QBs as Jimmy.

3. Who’s gonna be better? Nobody. But they can start over with a young & cheap and load up talent at other positions.

Copied from the GDT

Either he’s a ton better than we all think, and Sanders / Deebo / Kittle / that O-line is riding his coat tails or vice versa.

But experience is not going to improve Jimmy. He is what he is. Either he needs to go, or they need to significantly upgrade the WR / RB core and / or OL. I’ll grant you Person sucks ass, and Richburg was out, but every team has a bad starter & injuries.

So your plan of bringing the same team back is insane. Either Jimmy’s not good enough or his guys weren’t. And if the latter, then who?

Drew Brees wasn't Drew Brees early in his career. He was a decent QB who people thought would never elevate his game and become elite. That's why his first team cut him loose. Now, I'm not saying Garoppolo will become Brees. But it's silly to act like he can't improve. He's 30-odd starts into his career, and was coming off an ACL tear. Brady struggled a bit coming back from that injury. He'll get next year to prove himself. If he can't consistently play the way that he did against the Saints, then we need to be actively searching for a replacement.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#394 » by Samurai » Mon Feb 3, 2020 8:03 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:
Bald Bull wrote:

Copied from the GDT

Drew Brees wasn't Drew Brees early in his career. He was a decent QB who people thought would never elevate his game and become elite. That's why his first team cut him loose. Now, I'm not saying Garoppolo will become Brees. But it's silly to act like he can't improve. He's 30-odd starts into his career, and was coming off an ACL tear. Brady struggled a bit coming back from that injury. He'll get next year to prove himself. If he can't consistently play the way that he did against the Saints, then we need to be actively searching for a replacement.

Nobody should be comparing Jimmy to Brees. No one should be comparing any QB coming off his first full season as a starting QB with any QB that has been to 13 Pro Bowls. Like most QB's who have so little game experience, Jimmy is inconsistent. The deep ball he threw to Sanders was overthrown but his deep ball to Kittle (that was called back by the PI) was absolutely perfect in a tight window. I think Jimmy played well until he suffered the helmet-to-helmet blow in the 4th quarter; after that he was consistently off-target and his decision-making became even more erratic than normal. He completed an extremely high percentage in the first 3 quarters when he had decent protection; his pass protection completely broke down in the 4th quarter. I'm not blaming Jimmy because I don't think he calls his own plays - the lack of quick slants to Kittle or Deebo, and the lack of screens or draws when it became clear the Chiefs were dialing up blitzes to prevent Jimmy from throwing dow the field is mind boggling. The play calling set us up for failure. Even Drew Brees would greatly struggle with poor blocking and someone calling for 5 to 7-step drops when it is clear we cannot protect against those blitzes.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#395 » by NinerSickness » Mon Feb 3, 2020 10:36 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Drew Brees wasn't Drew Brees early in his career.

Unfortunately, it's not that early in Jimmy's career. Otherwise I wouldn't be so worried.

I don't know how much more help they can give the guy to drag his ass over the finish line.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#396 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Feb 3, 2020 10:47 pm

NinerSickness wrote:

Unfortunately, it's not that early in Jimmy's career. Otherwise I wouldn't be so worried.

I don't know how much more help they can give the guy to drag his ass over the finish line.

It is in terms of in-game experience. Garoppolo fell apart at the end of the game, but Chris Jones also made two great plays on those deflected passes. And I think it's hard not to conclude that Garoppolo was shaken by a hard shot to his head. I'm not saying we do nothing at the QB position, but it would also be the definition of knee-jerk to give up on him at this point. Let's see how he bounces back next year.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#397 » by Samurai » Mon Feb 3, 2020 11:41 pm

NinerSickness wrote:

This was Jimmy's first full season as a starting QB. Yes he spent a number of years holding a clipboard but I don't see that as the same as actually playing the position in a game situation. So it comes down to whether you consider a player's first full season as early in their career or not. I do. If you don't, then you have to decide what is "early" in a QB's career - first 2 games as a starter, first 6 games, etc.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,251

Post#398 » by wco81 » Tue Feb 4, 2020 12:54 am

Heard on a podcast that 49ers could get out of the remaining commitment to Jimmy's deal if they cut him this April -- this guy also suggested they go after Cam Newton.

Even if that were true, are you going to run Nick Mullens with a roster which just played in the Super Bowl? You're squandering the contention window by going with someone inexperienced or new to the system.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#399 » by Ray_Dogg » Tue Feb 4, 2020 12:59 am

Trade Jimmy for picks in this draft and sign Tom Brady
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#400 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Feb 4, 2020 1:06 am

wco81 wrote:Heard on a podcast that 49ers could get out of the remaining commitment to Jimmy's deal if they cut him this April -- this guy also suggested they go after Cam Newton.

Even if that were true, are you going to run Nick Mullens with a roster which just played in the Super Bowl? You're squandering the contention window by going with someone inexperienced or new to the system.

I can't see Shanahan liking Newton. Short- and mid-range accuracy is crucial to his offense, and that's not Newton's game. Neither, really, is playing within the structure of an offense - at least so far as when Newton is at his best.

Return to San Francisco 49ers