ImageImageImageImageImage

Niners Screwed the Draft Pooch; FA is Last Hope

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Niners Screwed the Draft Pooch; FA is Last Hope 

Post#1 » by NinerSickness » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:59 am

Lynch f***ed up royally in the draft, and now they havea capable QB before the team is ready to compete. It's a bad combination.

Now the Niners won't be able to get a great player like Dex or Oliver next offseason because Jimmy will win too many games (but not enough to compete for a SB).

If they drafted Trubisky, and they could've spent the Jimmy money on whatever FA they wanted. Could've loaded up on FAs. Could've traded for Sheldon Richardson to play next to Buck (Richardson >>>> Thomas). Could've traded for Brandin Cooks to be the #1 WR. They would've still been bad, but they would've had a super-strong, young foundation.

I'm gonna be honest: the future is dim in SF. The Niners' last hope is to hit on several, huge FA signings this offseason. They have to bat 1.000 in FA. Because I don't think they're going to have the draft power to load up for a SB run now. And they're going to have to get lucky w/ some younger veterans getting cut for cap space this offseason.

FA magic or bust. :noway:
Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Re: Niners Screwed the Draft Pooch; FA is Last Hope 

Post#2 » by Bald Bull » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:50 pm

we should trade garoppolo and Foster while the value is high so we don't keep ruining our high draft picks :evil:
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#3 » by CalamityX12 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:05 pm

Well we're still in line for top 10....

which is good for your boy Nelson... no harm anymore....

Not sure if we're missing out on any great defensive players(yet) with the first pick.
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 260

Post#4 » by Jikkle » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:24 pm

If the team can't build around Garopplo the team is doomed no matter what.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#5 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:09 pm

All good points. We could also be like Cleveland and suck so bad and draft near the top every year. Even after Jimmy G is signed, there will still be plenty of leftover cap to go after free agents. We might not get a good deal to trade down, but we will still have a high first round pick and high picks in the first three rounds. Really good teams find good players in the first three rounds. Bill Walsh had his share of 1st round misses but he was able to draft really good players throughout the early rounds.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 941

Post#6 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:47 pm

Trubisky is nowhere near a sure thing. I'd much rather be in our current situation than have taken Trubisky and hoped that he'd even reach the point where Garoppolo is now. Not close. I wasn't - and still am not - crazy about the Thomas pick (would have taken absolutely any offer to trade back and drafted Lattimore, Barnett, or Hooker), but I don't think Trubisky was the way to go given how things have panned out since then.

Call me crazy, but I think this team could actually pull a 2011 Niners thing next year. The division might be tougher, but QB looks solid - reluctant to call it a franchise fix just yet given the caliber of opponent to date - and that has made the entire team look markedly better already. We'll return Garcon and Garnett on offense, return Malcolm Smith, Armstead, Tartt, and Ward (who we could see move back to CB as Colbert has looked good at FS) on D, likely add 2-3 potential impact FAs, and make four picks within the first 75 in the draft. This team could definitely be fighting for a playoff spot next year, and possibly more.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#7 » by Ray_Dogg » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:25 am

WR Allen Robinson. Norwell OG from Panthers if he fits our scheme. Maybe CB Trumaine Johnson. Maybe.

We got some options in free agency. Ansah might interest me if the price is right but man he can be non existent or really good. Risky.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by NinerSickness » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:21 am

Ray_Dogg wrote:WR Allen Robinson. Norwell OG from Panthers if he fits our scheme. Maybe CB Trumaine Johnson. Maybe.

We got some options in free agency. Ansah might interest me if the price is right but man he can be non existent or really good. Risky.

Risky is the only way to operate in the NFL. Safe gets you 9-7 and a playoff loss. Think Bengals.

The Niners are gonna have to hit on some lottery tickets if they want to be one of the 2 or 3 best teams in the league.

Definitely want Allen Robinson. Robinson, Garcon & Goodwin would be a pretty nice 1,2,3.

I also don't see any reason not to start the Dontari Poe talk again. He's as consistent as it gets at NT. Poe at NT and Solomon Thomas playing one of the DE spots (and moving inside on passing downs) would be a pretty nasty run-stop IMO.
Bald Bull
Veteran

Post#9 » by Bald Bull » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:35 pm

You're acting like it's only possible to find talent in the very top of rounds. If that's the case we have a bad front office.

Nelson is likely to still be there for us, I really like the idea of jimmy behind a good line. We could still draft Rashaan Evans and upgrade over Coyle. We can draft Derwin James and let him compete for a job at safety. Courtland Sutton would improve our production in the redzone and 3rd downs,. Sutton, Garcon and Goodwin would be a damn good WR set. Joshua Jackon > Dontae Johnson.

We have plenty of options that will improve this team.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by NinerSickness » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:46 pm

Bald Bull wrote:You're acting like it's only possible to find talent in the very top of rounds.

I'm acting like Lynch f***ed up last year's draft, and this year's draft is possibly the most shallow I've ever seen.

Bald Bull wrote:Nelson is likely to still be there for us, I really like the idea of jimmy behind a good line.

Word.

Bald Bull wrote:We could still draft Rashaan Evans and upgrade over Coyle.

...Meh.

Bald Bull wrote:We can draft Derwin James and let him compete for a job at safety.

We draft another first-round safety, and I'll personally punch Lynch in the face (figuratively).

Bald Bull wrote: Courtland Sutton would improve our production in the redzone and 3rd downs,. Sutton, Garcon and Goodwin would be a damn good WR set. Joshua Jackon > Dontae Johnson.

I'd rather go FA WR than the draft. JMHO. Too many other needs, and he's not a rare prospect.

Bald Bull wrote:We have plenty of options that will improve this team.

Improve =/= Super-Bowl contender.
Bald Bull
Veteran

Post#11 » by Bald Bull » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:49 am

NinerSickness wrote:...Meh.

If Nelson, Barkley, and Sutton are gone, and no one wants to trade up, I have no problem putting Evans next to Foster.

I'd rather go FA WR than the draft. JMHO. Too many other needs, and he's not a rare prospect.

How many rare prospects are there in this draft? if we are waiting for a rare prospect is anyone at any of our picks going to be that? Patriots roster isn't made up or rare prospects. If BPA upgrades any position we should take it.

Improve =/= Super-Bowl contender.

wrong, improvements are exactly how you get to a superbowl.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by NinerSickness » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:08 am

Bald Bull wrote:wrong, improvements are exactly how you get to a superbowl.

No, HUGE improvements are how you win a Super Bowl. The easy answers you threw out there are not going to cut it. It's going to take some big risks in FA, and all of them have to pay off.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by CalamityX12 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:51 pm

Allen Robinson to the 49ers would be a dream....
The ModFather

CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#14 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:02 pm

You guys don't think Jax would franchise Robinson if they can't get a longterm deal worked out?
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#15 » by CalamityX12 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:29 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:You guys don't think Jax would franchise Robinson if they can't get a longterm deal worked out?

Oh they should and will I bet... but why not dream?

Especially with Jax becoming a competitive team and most likely coming off a playoff season the least...
The ModFather

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,256

Post#16 » by wco81 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:04 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Trubisky is nowhere near a sure thing. I'd much rather be in our current situation than have taken Trubisky and hoped that he'd even reach the point where Garoppolo is now. Not close. I wasn't - and still am not - crazy about the Thomas pick (would have taken absolutely any offer to trade back and drafted Lattimore, Barnett, or Hooker), but I don't think Trubisky was the way to go given how things have panned out since then.

Call me crazy, but I think this team could actually pull a 2011 Niners thing next year. The division might be tougher, but QB looks solid - reluctant to call it a franchise fix just yet given the caliber of opponent to date - and that has made the entire team look markedly better already. We'll return Garcon and Garnett on offense, return Malcolm Smith, Armstead, Tartt, and Ward (who we could see move back to CB as Colbert has looked good at FS) on D, likely add 2-3 potential impact FAs, and make four picks within the first 75 in the draft. This team could definitely be fighting for a playoff spot next year, and possibly more.

Yup, Trubitsky hasn't shown enough yet to be bullish on him. Only advantage he'd have over JG would be cheaper salary cap number for the next 3-4 years.

Only other rookie QB worth drafting would have been Watson of course, though I think he made a lot of what Kyle would call "off-schedule" plays rather than passes out of the play design.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,256

Post#17 » by wco81 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:14 am

Ray_Dogg wrote:WR Allen Robinson. Norwell OG from Panthers if he fits our scheme. Maybe CB Trumaine Johnson. Maybe.

Yeah Johnson jumps out since he's still only 27 but he had a big cap number this year:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

Was he franchised or something? He might have a real high salary expectation.

Ansah is 28, older than I would have thought. Damn so is Aldon Smith, another UFA but he hasn't played in like 2 years now?

Leveon Bell at 25 is a UFA but presumably the Steelers will do everything to keep him.

Watkins is only 24. Bills obviously weren't going to give him an extension. Rams have had a big year but he's only #4 in receptions for them, though he leads them with 7 receiving TDs. But the Rams will have $51 million in cap space (Niners will have almost $120 million):

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/cap/2018/

Hopefully they give Donald a huge deal and eat up most of that cap space.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#18 » by Ray_Dogg » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:28 am

Yes, Johnson was on the franchise tag maybe even for the second straight year if I recall correctly.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by NinerSickness » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:16 am

wco81 wrote:

Yeah Johnson jumps out since he's still only 27 but he had a big cap number this year:

Ansah is 28, older than I would have thought. Damn so is Aldon Smith, another UFA but he hasn't played in like 2 years now?

Leveon Bell at 25 is a UFA but presumably the Steelers will do everything to keep him.

Watkins is only 24. Bills obviously weren't going to give him an extension. Rams have had a big year but he's only #4 in receptions for them, though he leads them with 7 receiving TDs. But the Rams will have $51 million in cap space (Niners will have almost $120 million):

Sammy Watkins in a contract year is being outplayed by Cooper Kupp and Robert Woods. I'll pass on him (called it that Brandin Cooks would be the better WR BTW :D ).

I have no problem with signing Anzah. PLENTY of cap space to do so. I've always wanted Aldon back, but that's a pipe dream. :(
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#20 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:45 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
wco81 wrote:

Sammy Watkins in a contract year is being outplayed by Cooper Kupp and Robert Woods. I'll pass on him (called it that Brandin Cooks would be the better WR BTW :D ).

I have no problem with signing Anzah. PLENTY of cap space to do so. I've always wanted Aldon back, but that's a pipe dream. :(

Not sure we can give you that one just yet Sick, given that one of them has played with Tyrod Taylor and Jared Goff (without an offseason) while the other guy has played with Drew Brees and Tom Brady.

Return to San Francisco 49ers