Draft grade

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

radtech
Senior
And1: 46

Draft grade 

Post#1 » by radtech » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:00 pm

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/draft-tracker/

CBS Sports gives the Niners draft picks mostly B grades or higher for every pick with the exception of Street, he received a C grade.

Are those grades too high or too low?
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Re: Draft grade 

Post#2 » by I_am_1z » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:50 pm

Let's get the guy who drafted the 7th round to draft every round in 2019
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#3 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:46 pm

Mike McGlinchey - T - Fighting Irish

SB Nation's Dan Kadar assigned the San Francisco 49ers a "B-" grade for their work in the draft.

The 49ers started the draft by selecting Notre Dame OT Mike McGlinchey with the No. 9 overall pick. Kadar says this selection " may have seemed early" but if the "49ers didn’t take him, the Raiders would have at No. 10." McGlinchey will likely be Joe Staley's successor as he turns 34 in August. Kadar wasn't a huge fan of selecting Kentavius Street in the fourth round as he is coming off a torn ACL at his pro day but admits "had he been healthy, some thought he might go in the second round." The 49ers reached on WR Dante Pettis in the second round but he will likely receive playing time early in his career as the 49ers No. 3 receiver.
Source: SB Nation

Apr 30 - 12:08 PM
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#4 » by clyde21 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:05 pm

The Pettis pick was the one that left a real bad taste in my mouth (even though this year I was not as well versed as usual on the prospects for the most part), with Christian Kirk and James Washington on the draft board still available.

I liked the Warner/Moore picks, meh on everything else.

I used to actually be a huge fan of McGlinchey two years ago, but have cooled down on him since then. Still think he can be a player in the league, but if we're looking for Staley's replacement I don't think he'll be it.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#5 » by Jikkle » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:23 pm

The average grade I've seen is B. Some C and I did see one A with most of them sharing the same common complaints.

I don't know enough about the draft to give out a grade but it's clear to me that they have a system, they have a group of guys that they feel fit that system, and they grab them regardless of what armchair GMs feel.

I'm not that fan that says the personnel men are above criticism because they are professionals and we're all just scrubs that watch youtube highlights of guys but I do also acknowledge that these guys do have a far bigger staff, put far more time in the process, and have far more access to these guys than your draft enthusiasts fans.

I will say I do feel people obsess about value far too much during draft time. If for example Pettis turns out to be a stud nobody is going to say "I know he made the Pro Bowl but I still don't like the fact we traded up in the 2nd to get him." Or if a player busts nobody goes "I know they just released him but at least we got him in the 4th round when he could've went in the 3rd."

And don't get me wrong getting value is important but it seems like someone people will freak out if a player gets picked 5 spots higher they think he should have.
tallglassowater
Junior
And1: 22

Post#6 » by tallglassowater » Thu May 3, 2018 5:22 am

clyde21 wrote:The Pettis pick was the one that left a real bad taste in my mouth (even though this year I was not as well versed as usual on the prospects for the most part), with Christian Kirk and James Washington on the draft board still available.

I liked the Warner/Moore picks, meh on everything else.

I used to actually be a huge fan of McGlinchey two years ago, but have cooled down on him since then. Still think he can be a player in the league, but if we're looking for Staley's replacement I don't think he'll be it.

Same here. When they traded up I thought for sure Jackson was the pick. Pretty sure Landry was just taken or I thought they might trade up for him because he fell so far. When it was Pettis it was a little :banghead:
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#7 » by NinerSickness » Thu May 3, 2018 6:22 am

An average LT at 9 overall; could've gotten equal talent w/ several different FA. :noway:
An average WR over a great TE
Huge steal w/ Warner (the only thing that redeemed this draft)
A project CB
And some miscellaneous crap.

Grade = Lynch sucks
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#8 » by Dodub » Fri May 4, 2018 3:43 am

Pettis was the only pick that I had a problem with. Grade = B+

Return to San Francisco 49ers