2018-19 CFB SEASON / '19 NFL DRAFT

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Re: 2018-19 CFB SEASON / '19 NFL DRAFT 

Post#861 » by Ray_Dogg » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:07 pm

Do yourself a favor and put very little stock into what Lance Zierlein has to say about a prospect. In my opinion he gets decent takes on oline but that is it. It’s unfortunate that he’s the guy that does all the prospect write ups for NFL.com.

I’d much rather read what DJ, Brugler, Nguyen, etc have to say. Or like we’ve been doing for years, see which guys we like on here as prospects. I’m 100% convinced we’d do a much better job then what our front office has churned out over the years. Even the guys we seem to be split on have tended to be much better options then guys our GMs took. Smh
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#862 » by ChrisPozz » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:16 am

Read on Twitter
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#863 » by Dodub » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:31 pm

Pozz what round are people thinking that Jaylon Ferguson goes in? If he were to drop, he’d definitely be a player that I would want.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#864 » by NinerSickness » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:24 pm

Dodub wrote:Pozz what round are people thinking that Jaylon Ferguson goes in? If he were to drop, he’d definitely be a player that I would want.

I like him too, but he didn't participate in the combine; a lot is going to come down to his pro day (I think in 4 days).
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#865 » by Dodub » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:37 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
Dodub wrote:Pozz what round are people thinking that Jaylon Ferguson goes in? If he were to drop, he’d definitely be a player that I would want.

I like him too, but he didn't participate in the combine; a lot is going to come down to his pro day (I think in 4 days).

Yeah, he was disinvited because he got into a fight when he was 18 which I think is ridiculous.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 942

Post#866 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:28 pm

Dodub wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:

Yeah, he was disinvited because he got into a fight when he was 18 which I think is ridiculous.

Yeah, that one seemed dumb. Basically just a scuffle between a couple guys. I've seen Ferguson going anywhere from the first to the late-second. Other than Sick's ideal offseason, I haven't seen him going on the third, though....

If we take Bosa, Ferguson is almost certainly off the table. If we don't, he's in consideration. That said, I think we'd probably have to take him at 36, and unless we trade back in the first, I think we almost have to go DB with that pick, assuming there's value (and I think there will be).
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#867 » by ChrisPozz » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:17 pm

Early on many saw the production and the pop plays and started throwing it out there his ceiling could be a late 1st-round guy if he continued to carry it over to the Senior Bowl. The measurements then came in, confirming what people wanted to see, and the ball continued to roll a little bit.

For those that didn't really know a lot about him or wanted to see if he would explode down in Mobile ended up being a little disappointed down in Mobile coming out of that week with some of the movement skills and natural athleticism deficiencies and that's when a lot of the 1st round ceiling stuff started to cool back down on him again.

At that point, I think some people that had that first round potential there for him going in ended up being turned off more on the Senior Bowl week performance than they should have been. He was never going to be a plus guy with insane movement skills and test really, really well. At least I never saw that potential.

I've kind of been in the same range on him from the first time I saw him back in December as I am now. I never thought I would bump him up in January-March and the Senior Bowl week, while disappointing, didn't really change the suspicions I had on him since the beginning a whole lot.

He excels playing a bully ball game and he does it very well, especially at the level in which he played at. He was flat out dominant at times. He's long, powerful, and has some of the heaviest hands on the DL in this class. He did beat guys multiple ways in college but I don't think as much of it is going to translate right away in the NFL because he needs more and better pass rush moves. That's where you kind of see some conflicting reports on him among analysts is where he's going to be on that in the NFL. For me, the confusion and the conflicting reports stem from he will beat you a number of ways but the level in which he played at he could get away doing things that worked there but aren't necessarily going to work for him in the NFL. I think many analysts see that. Some don't and they'll just write that he can win multiple ways, which is an incomplete idea from what I've seen IMO.

One of the best things he's done is signed up to work under the tutelage of former Falcons and Panthers DE Chuck Smith for his pre-draft workouts located in Atlanta. He's one of the most well-respected guys prospects can work out with as they are getting ready for the NFL Draft. I love that he did that because I respect Chuck Smith a lot and the work he's been able to do with guys in a short amount of time.

His sweet spot for me is, can he make it to that 3rd round? I don't have a huge problem if someone says they want to take him with their 2nd. I kind of get it. I would not expect that he's going to be at the top of my wish list in the 2nd round for the 49ers but I understand why someone might want to take him there. If you do that, though, you better have a defined plan of development for him and have the right guys around him that will compliment what he does. You also better be patient because I don't think he's ready to come in right away and play heavy snaps for you and excel.

Also, while you guys mentioned the arrest for fighting when he was younger, he also was charged with a "minor public intoxication charge" while he was in college, too. For a lot of people that won't be a big deal but it is there serving as another storyline that you'd have to ask about with him. Coaches will tell you he's grown up a lot and how he was not an issue for them character wise in many years so that's good and it won't shock me if he's rated as a clean prospect on almost everyone's board but I just wanted to highlight the 2nd offense there that was in his past rather than just saying there's only one offense there.

I have him marked down as a target of mine not taking into account the Shanahan/Lynch system and where they want to go. You kind of have to bump him down a bit based on who they have if you're someone that's only wanting to live in the Shanahan/Lynch world and what they're going to do but I do like Ferguson more than some people do and part of that is because I think too many people bumped him too far down, or flat out knocked him too much, because they incorrectly thought he had a chance to show them something going into SB week that he was never capable of showing you.

Target sweet spot: 3rd round but again I could see how someone might want to take him in the 2nd round. And I won't be shocked if he falls further than that because he's such a developmental prospect with technique and on the pass rush move front. It's hard to say how concerning that would be without having more one-on-one contact with him and his coaches.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#868 » by ChrisPozz » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:56 pm

Read on Twitter
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#869 » by ChrisPozz » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:49 pm

Read on Twitter

:D
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#870 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:29 pm

AJ Brown is a darn good player, but he’s sliding down my board just a bit. I think at this point I would probably draft Parris Campbell ahead of him in addition to a few other players.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#871 » by ChrisPozz » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:47 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:AJ Brown is a darn good player, but he’s sliding down my board just a bit. I think at this point I would probably draft Parris Campbell ahead of him in addition to a few other players.

I like both players a lot and I want to at LEAST double dip at WR in this draft.

Goodwin I'm still back and forth on but we'll see if he can regain some of what he had if Jimmy G. is going to be the guy for a while.

Pettis is going to be around for a while but in the end I think I'm still going to be closer to right than wrong on so no matter how much better I think I can do he'll probably finish out his contract at the least, health and maturity permitting.

Richie James ABSOLUTELY would be kept on this roster. Love that guy from a value perspective. One of my favorite players on the entire team.

Bourne has had flashes, and at times I kind of like what I've seen and I've been more patient with him than I thought I would be, but eventually he probably needs to go.

Trent Taylor, Max McCaffrey, Steven Dunbar, and Jordan Smallwood all have to go. None would get even a developmental look at from me.

James being the only for sure guy for me that HAS to stay. Goodwin is a maybe IF Jimmy G. is going to be around, and Pettis is in a holding pattern if I'm living in reality.

That leaves 2-3 spots for new additions for me to play with. If it's 3, it's probably at the expense of one of the RBs. I don't care if McKinnon or Breida or both are to go elsewhere. Coleman has grown on me over time, and while I think I could still do better than him for the money, I would probably get more out of him than McKinnon or Breida for what I want to do.

In the end, I'm on the doubtful side Breida will ever stay healthy enough to count on for long stretches at a time. I understand OTHER people's desire to keep him around if Shanahan is around but I'm arrogant enough to think that I personally could do better even if he's healthy enough to play a full 16 games. (Example: Rodney Anderson has been a guy that's very close to a must for me in this draft and projects better to a system that I want to run in the future).
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#872 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:16 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:

In the end, I'm on the doubtful side Breida will ever stay healthy enough to count on for long stretches at a time. I understand OTHER people's desire to keep him around if Shanahan is around but I'm arrogant enough to think that I personally could do better even if he's healthy enough to play a full 16 games. (Example: Rodney Anderson has been a guy that's very close to a must for me in this draft and projects better to a system that I want to run in the future).[/quote]

RODNEY ANDERSON
RB, OKLAHOMA SOONERS

NFL Film's Greg Cosell says he "really likes" Oklahoma RB Rodney Anderson "if he's healthy."

Cosell likes Anderson's (6'0/224) ability to run inside using his physicality but also talks up his pass-catching abilities. The worry, of course, is Anderson's healthy since he's coming off a torn ACL. Some draft analysts would have had Anderson as the top running back in this class if he played last season, but he is now teetering on the Day 2/3 borderline, pending physicals. In 2017, 20% of his carries went for at least eight yards, which would have been the second-best percentage of this 2019 RB class if he repeated that last year.
SOURCE: Ross Tucker Podcast

Mar 16, 2019, 4:01 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#873 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:15 am

PARRIS CAMPBELL
WR, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Ohio State WR Parris Campbell averaged 8.9 yards after the catch in 2018.

That's a ridiculous number to average per reception, but it's a credit to his Percy Harvin-like athleticism. Ohio State opted to use Campbell as a low-aDOT receiver, catching short crosses and slants to get him in space. A couple of Campbell's 12 touchdowns came on jet sweeps, something the Rams made usage of in 2018. After running a 4.31-second 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine, Campbell is expected to draw a second- or third-round pick, even if some NFL executives think Campbell is "kind of raw."
SOURCE: PFF College

Mar 16, 2019, 11:36 AM
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#874 » by ChrisPozz » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:53 pm

Chase Winovich having thumb surgery, hopes to be OK for OTAs

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/17/chase-winovich-having-thumb-surgery-hopes-to-be-ok-for-otas/

One of the edges that doesn't have the length I look for that I'm willing to make an exception on. He's reallllly grown on me over time. Has some of the most pro ready pass rush moves and one of the most advanced rush plan of attack games in this class IMO. Very good burst. And the kid never stops. He's all go.

If he isn't developed properly and you miss on him in your base 4-3, I don't think there's a lot else he can do for you so he's capped on some of the upside stuff with scheme but I think a lot of coaches will find him to be a safe prospect once they're presented with what he brings as a prospect.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#875 » by ChrisPozz » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:58 pm

Read on Twitter

The 49ers-Gary ties have been churning along little by little since mid December even after people started to move him down some now over time.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#876 » by ChrisPozz » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:47 pm

49ers met with CB Blessuan Austin and LB Deonte Roberts at Rutgers pro day

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/124181-49ers-met-blessuan-austin-deonte-roberts-rutgers-pro/
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#877 » by ChrisPozz » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:47 pm

ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#878 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:12 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:AJ Brown is a darn good player, but he’s sliding down my board just a bit. I think at this point I would probably draft Parris Campbell ahead of him in addition to a few other players.

I like both players a lot and I want to at LEAST double dip at WR in this draft.

Goodwin I'm still back and forth on but we'll see if he can regain some of what he had if Jimmy G. is going to be the guy for a while.

Pettis is going to be around for a while but in the end I think I'm still going to be closer to right than wrong on so no matter how much better I think I can do he'll probably finish out his contract at the least, health and maturity permitting.

Richie James ABSOLUTELY would be kept on this roster. Love that guy from a value perspective. One of my favorite players on the entire team.

Bourne has had flashes, and at times I kind of like what I've seen and I've been more patient with him than I thought I would be, but eventually he probably needs to go.

Trent Taylor, Max McCaffrey, Steven Dunbar, and Jordan Smallwood all have to go. None would get even a developmental look at from me.

James being the only for sure guy for me that HAS to stay. Goodwin is a maybe IF Jimmy G. is going to be around, and Pettis is in a holding pattern if I'm living in reality.

That leaves 2-3 spots for new additions for me to play with. If it's 3, it's probably at the expense of one of the RBs. I don't care if McKinnon or Breida or both are to go elsewhere. Coleman has grown on me over time, and while I think I could still do better than him for the money, I would probably get more out of him than McKinnon or Breida for what I want to do.

In the end, I'm on the doubtful side Breida will ever stay healthy enough to count on for long stretches at a time. I understand OTHER people's desire to keep him around if Shanahan is around but I'm arrogant enough to think that I personally could do better even if he's healthy enough to play a full 16 games. (Example: Rodney Anderson has been a guy that's very close to a must for me in this draft and projects better to a system that I want to run in the future).

Read on Twitter
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#879 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:15 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Last summer he was clocked at 4.85 and recorded 34 bench reps so the numbers are fairly legit. Most pressures of any defender in his conference this year, according to PFF.

Dexter Lawrence had 36 for the lead at the NFL Combine this year. Huge chest. Productive. Uses his hands well. Solid week at the East-West Shrine game and even saw some reps on the edge in practices.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#880 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:17 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to San Francisco 49ers