ImageImageImageImageImage

Week 7 - Rams at 49ers 4:25pm ET

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,254

Re: Week 7 - Rams at 49ers 4:25pm ET 

Post#101 » by wco81 » Thu Nov 1, 2018 1:44 am

Hard to maintain creditability when touting Tomsula for HC.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 207

Post#102 » by Pattersonca65 » Thu Nov 1, 2018 3:45 am

Jim Tomsula was a good position coach but was in way over his head as a head coach

I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#103 » by I_am_1z » Fri Nov 2, 2018 12:31 am

Pattersonca65 wrote:Jim Tomsula was a good position coach but was in way over his head as a head coach

As long as things like this are your reasons for think Jim Tom didn't get the most out of his team, then I'm fine having the unpopular opinion
wco81
RealGM

Post#104 » by wco81 » Fri Nov 2, 2018 1:13 am

Forget about the competency question.

If he ratted out Harbaugh as has been speculated, that alone disqualifies him.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#105 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Nov 2, 2018 5:10 pm

I_am_1z wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:Jim Tomsula was a good position coach but was in way over his head as a head coach

As long as things like this are your reasons for think Jim Tom didn't get the most out of his team, then I'm fine having the unpopular opinion

Tomsula didn't. Communication skills are pretty important when you are a head coach. Tomsula is a good NFL positional coach but was in way over his head as a NFL head coach. He could not recruit any decent coordinators to come here. No one wanted the jobs.
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#106 » by I_am_1z » Mon Nov 5, 2018 3:06 am

Pattersonca65 wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:

Tomsula didn't. Communication skills are pretty important when you are a head coach. Tomsula is a good NFL positional coach but was in way over his head as a NFL head coach. He could not recruit any decent coordinators to come here. No one wanted the jobs.

Yeah, okay Tomsula mispoke with Media...I really feel like you're pushing a false narrative here by insinuating it transferred over to him coaching a team. 5-11 with that 49er's team and it SHOULD have been 6-10, if it wasn't for a BS roughing the passer call against a really good Arizona Cardinal team. Can you present a case on how Kyle and Chip have done a better job with the team?
wco81
RealGM

Post#107 » by wco81 » Mon Nov 5, 2018 6:57 pm

He was a rat.

Period.

**** him.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#108 » by Pattersonca65 » Thu Nov 8, 2018 11:52 pm

I_am_1z wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:

Yeah, okay Tomsula mispoke with Media...I really feel like you're pushing a false narrative here by insinuating it transferred over to him coaching a team. 5-11 with that 49er's team and it SHOULD have been 6-10, if it wasn't for a BS roughing the passer call against a really good Arizona Cardinal team. Can you present a case on how Kyle and Chip have done a better job with the team?

Yes, Kyle knows how to coach and offense. He can scheme. Tomsula couldn't scheme his way out of a wet paper back.
wco81
RealGM

Post#109 » by wco81 » Fri Nov 9, 2018 2:39 am

Pattersonca65 wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

Yes, Kyle knows how to coach and offense. He can scheme. Tomsula couldn't scheme his way out of a wet paper back.

Or get coaches who could scheme to work for him.

The Singletary syndrome again.
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#110 » by I_am_1z » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:52 am

Pattersonca65 wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

Another L. Shanny's getting really good at losing games late. I'm sure you'll blame the defense tho
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#111 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:58 pm

I_am_1z wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:

Another L. Shanny's getting really good at losing games late. I'm sure you'll blame the defense tho

He has Mullens playing well. The defense cheked the game away. The offense did its job for the most part. Back to Tomsula, he sucked as a head coach. He was in way over his head. He should never have been hired. You don't see one team interested in him as a HC? Why? because he isn't qualified. Unfortunately, Baalke left such a disaster, this will take years to get straight.
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#112 » by I_am_1z » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:01 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

He has Mullens playing well. The defense cheked the game away. The offense did its job for the most part. Back to Tomsula, he sucked as a head coach. He was in way over his head. He should never have been hired. You don't see one team interested in him as a HC? Why? because he isn't qualified. Unfortunately, Baalke left such a disaster, this will take years to get straight.

I guess the record doesn't matter to you. Jim Tom didn't have the staff he wanted. He was forced to have Jeep Chryst as his OC. He was thrown into an unusual situation where the team lost its core players all in one offseason. Despite that he scraped together wins. He brought in innovative ideas to teach players. He's not your cookie cutter coach which is the trait I liked more than Tomsula himself.

Status Quo in the NFL is keeping bright minds dim. Everyone needs to go up the ladder from position coach to coordinator to HC. Anything to get away from the recycled garbage the NFL deems okay is what I'm lobbying for...

If you're not questioning why Shanahan has this inability to keep leads and keep momentum on offense, then there's no business having this conversation. He can go ahead and be a stat king all he wants. The 49ers catered to Shanny and he seemingly has way more say than Jim Tom ever had, but what has he done that's translating to wins?
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#113 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:15 pm

I_am_1z wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:

I guess the record doesn't matter to you. Jim Tom didn't have the staff he wanted. He was forced to have Jeep Chryst as his OC. He was thrown into an unusual situation where the team lost its core players all in one offseason. Despite that he scraped together wins. He brought in innovative ideas to teach players. He's not your cookie cutter coach which is the trait I liked more than Tomsula himself.

Status Quo in the NFL is keeping bright minds dim. Everyone needs to go up the ladder from position coach to coordinator to HC. Anything to get away from the recycled garbage the NFL deems okay is what I'm lobbying for...

If you're not questioning why Shanahan has this inability to keep leads and keep momentum on offense, then there's no business having this conversation. He can go ahead and be a stat king all he wants. The 49ers catered to Shanny and he seemingly has way more say than Jim Tom ever had, but what has he done that's translating to wins?

Tomsula didn't have the staff he wanted because no one wanted to work for him as HC. Fangio wanted nothing to do with him. Fangio would have stayed with another HC. They tried bringing in a number of OC and DC candidates and they all refused so Tomsula had no choice but to promote from within. Tomsula brought in innovative ideas?? LMAO!!!!! He wasn't a cookie cutter coach, he was an awful awful head coach with a lethargic team. Shanahan is in year two trying to fix the disaster Baalke left him. There is still more Baalke mess to get rid off. The offense is on the right track, the defense is getting better. Unlike Tomsula where this team was heading straight for the toilet. How many teams have even considered Tomsula as a HC since then? Zero. Because he is not a HC
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#114 » by I_am_1z » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:13 am

Pattersonca65 wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

Tomsula didn't have the staff he wanted because no one wanted to work for him as HC. Fangio wanted nothing to do with him. Fangio would have stayed with another HC. They tried bringing in a number of OC and DC candidates and they all refused so Tomsula had no choice but to promote from within. Tomsula brought in innovative ideas?? LMAO!!!!! He wasn't a cookie cutter coach, he was an awful awful head coach with a lethargic team. Shanahan is in year two trying to fix the disaster Baalke left him. There is still more Baalke mess to get rid off. The offense is on the right track, the defense is getting better. Unlike Tomsula where this team was heading straight for the toilet. How many teams have even considered Tomsula as a HC since then? Zero. Because he is not a HC

Where does it say Vic Fangio would have stayed if the 49ers hired anyone else? Vic likely left because he knew about the exodus that was coming. Maybe he felt sleighed for Jim Tom getting the nod over himself as well. Both those possibilities are just conjuncture though.

The 49ers hired Tomsula, MID-JANUARY, aka a little over two weeks from the Super Bowl, aka the worst possible time to hunt for coordinators. Now, I'll pretend with you, that Jim Tom probably couldn't snag a top coordinator, but I think he could have done better than Jeep Chyrst if given ample time. Kyle recruited Saleh as DC and currently has no one as OC, it's his second season, so I'm not even sure why people assume Shanny is an attractive piece at HC--all I remember is Louis Riddick not wanting the GM position because they were going in Kyle's direction as HC.

Jim Tomsula had NEW ideas for trying to accommodate players. You'll probably recall how he would give players a phone break 30 minutes into meetings:

"The [experts] are telling me about attention spans and optimal learning,” Tomsula said. “I’m thinking, ‘My gosh, we sit in two-hour meetings. You are telling me after 27 minutes no one’s getting anything?’ "

Other coaches would be scared to pander to the players. It would be seen as weak and an easy headline if the team was a disaster. Tomsula was hired as a stopgap but look what he had to deal with:

LB Patrick Willis March 10, 2015 Retired
WR Stevie Johnson March 12, 2015 Released
LB Chris Borland March 16, 2015 Retired
OT Jonathan Martin March 26, 2015 Released
DE Justin Smith May 18, 2015 Retired
OT Anthony Davis June 5, 2015 Retired
P Andy Lee June 6, 2015 Traded
LB Aldon Smith August 7, 2015 Released

5-11 record that should have been 6-10 is decent with all that he lost and had to manage injury wise. The team was still behind him, I'm not sure you can definitively say the same with Kyle after throwing the defense under the bus. How come it's okay Shanahan can't score more than 3 points in the last 23 minutes against the awful Giants?

Lastly, who OTHER teams consider at HC at laughable. Just look around the league, what's the hit rate on these "Great future HCs"? We went knocking on Chip Kelly's door for goodness sake. That right there proved firing Jim Tom after his first year was a mistake.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#115 » by 49er4life1979 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:09 am

I_am_1z wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:

Where does it say Vic Fangio would have stayed if the 49ers hired anyone else? Vic likely left because he knew about the exodus that was coming. Maybe he felt sleighed for Jim Tom getting the nod over himself as well. Both those possibilities are just conjuncture though.

The 49ers hired Tomsula, MID-JANUARY, aka a little over two weeks from the Super Bowl, aka the worst possible time to hunt for coordinators. Now, I'll pretend with you, that Jim Tom probably couldn't snag a top coordinator, but I think he could have done better than Jeep Chyrst if given ample time. Kyle recruited Saleh as DC and currently has no one as OC, it's his second season, so I'm not even sure why people assume Shanny is an attractive piece at HC--all I remember is Louis Riddick not wanting the GM position because they were going in Kyle's direction as HC.

Jim Tomsula had NEW ideas for trying to accommodate players. You'll probably recall how he would give players a phone break 30 minutes into meetings:

"The [experts] are telling me about attention spans and optimal learning,” Tomsula said. “I’m thinking, ‘My gosh, we sit in two-hour meetings. You are telling me after 27 minutes no one’s getting anything?’ "

Other coaches would be scared to pander to the players. It would be seen as weak and an easy headline if the team was a disaster. Tomsula was hired as a stopgap but look what he had to deal with:

5-11 record that should have been 6-10 is decent with all that he lost and had to manage injury wise. The team was still behind him, I'm not sure you can definitively say the same with Kyle after throwing the defense under the bus. How come it's okay Shanahan can't score more than 3 points in the last 23 minutes against the awful Giants?

Lastly, who OTHER teams consider at HC at laughable. Just look around the league, what's the hit rate on these "Great future HCs"? We went knocking on Chip Kelly's door for goodness sake. That right there proved firing Jim Tom after his first year was a mistake.

Good grief, lol. Yes Fangio wanted no part of working for Tomsula. He wasnt about to be leap frogged by someone underneath him. He would've stayed had we hired Adam Gase. But Baalke screwed that one up. Second, no one wanted to come work for Tomsula because they werent interested in working for a coach who's a yes man to a power hungry GM. Do some research and see how many assistants turned us down.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect

Post#116 » by 49er4life1979 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:21 am

I_am_1z wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:Shanahan gets fired and we select Bosa is the dream offseason

Why would the team fire Shannahan? You think coaching is the problem? :crazy:

Shanny has shown his inability to nurse a lead. Do you really want this guy coaching in the playoffs? I think at the very least he should concede his privilege to call plays. Honestly, we surprisingly have a top 8 OL and we're 1-7.

The offense is not the problem. Maybe its the defense with an anemic pass rush that has failed to close out games in Green Bay, Arizona, and vs the Giants? We managed ONE measly sack against a terrible OL and 4 QB hits on Monday. And in the 4th, Manning simply did what others did against the D.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect

Post#117 » by 49er4life1979 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:41 am

I_am_1z wrote:
Ray_Dogg wrote:It amazes be that a roster so depleted with injuries has fans blaming the coaching. Incredible.
The only other problem with this team besides health is personnel decision making. How much of that is to blame on Lynch or Kyle is the question. Soloman Thomas is exhibit A. We might be better off with Peters calling the shots.

I love your follow up on how Shanahan's coaching hasn't been a detriment to the team. You listed 0 examples of how Shanny's coaching is good, then went off and tried to draw attention to something else. Classic Donald move! I applaud you. His one win this season came against the hapless Lions and if that pick 6 doesn't get flagged for someone holding Skittles for Kittle on the opposite side of the field, we still would have been winless. Lions came back from down 17 (IIRC) in the second half. He couldn't upset the Packers either when the odds were in our favor in the 4th quarter. Now, he loses an 11 point lead in the 4th to Rosen? Oh yeah, Shanahan's also the blame for some Super Bowl defeat where his team was up 4 scores with 2 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. But questioning Shanny's ability to coach amazes you?

Kyle's also the reason Louis Riddick didn't want to GM the 49ers. So, your blaming of John Lynch is going to have to come to a stop here. Nobody wanted to work with Kyle. We took Lynch because Jed York talked him into the job.

LOL. The lack of pass rush in the 4th quarter of the games at Green Bay, Arizona, and this past Mon Night doesnt ring a bell? The blown coverages in the secondary? Two, we took Lynch because Kyle wanted York to interview him. I think Lynch has done an overall good job so far. Still needs to find a pass rusher, but overall decent. Third, I didnt want Riddick anyway because he wanted McDaniels whom I DO NOT want. Belichick assistants usually havent done well as coaches, although that may change one day if Vrabel keeps winning....Not sure what problem you have with Kyle here. Look at the good players on offense that have been brought in on his watch, both free agents and draft. We dont lose Jimmy G and its a different team. Still probably 8-8 as the defense simply is not that good. No pass rush, sloppy tackling, breakdowns in the secondary. But even a mediocre secondary can be masked if the team can rush the passer. We have neither.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#118 » by Pattersonca65 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:54 am

I_am_1z wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:

Giving an extra break is something pioneering? LOL. It was reported Fangio would have stayed on with Gase but hang around for Tomsula. Can't blame him. Yea,with all the retreads out there it is telling not one team showed the slighest bit of interest in hiring Tomsula as an HC. Because he isn't qualified to be an NFL coach. I didn't want Chip Kelly but no one else would work for Baalke. And somehow the awful Chip Kelly who managed to go 10-6 in Philly is worse than Tomsula? Tomsula got worse as the season went along. There couldnt have been a more lethargic team. Anyone who thinks Tomsula is better than Shanahan is on crack. LOL, if you can find one person who actually believes that
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#119 » by Pattersonca65 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:59 am

49er4life1979 wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

Good grief, lol. Yes Fangio wanted no part of working for Tomsula. He wasnt about to be leap frogged by someone underneath him. He would've stayed had we hired Adam Gase. But Baalke screwed that one up. Second, no one wanted to come work for Tomsula because they werent interested in working for a coach who's a yes man to a power hungry GM. Do some research and see how many assistants turned us down.

I can think of at least three off the top of my head. At least three coordinators. Even the Eagles Wide Receiver coach turned down an offer to be the 49er OC under Tomsula. That is how bad it was.
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#120 » by ChrisPozz » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:07 pm

I_am_1z wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:

Where does it say Vic Fangio would have stayed if the 49ers hired anyone else?

I'll stay out of the overall argument because I think either side is firm in their stances without the possibility to change much. However, I will add this for clarity because many never saw it in the first place or continue to botch the Fangio stuff.

To the original question of, "Where does it say Fangio would have stayed if the 49ers had hired anyone else?

I don't like that wording because it could imply he might have stayed with ANYONE other than Tomsula. I don't know that to be the case.

I know Fangio did not want to leave SF because he has said he did not want to leave and still likes many people in the organization and has many friends here. Matt Maiocco also reported, and it's in a link that I can no longer post because the original link does not work, but it's referenced on Rotoworld.com if you want to find it, that Fangio put it out there he would have stayed had the 49ers hired Gase as HC. Gase is also on record as saying he would have tried to keep numerous other 49ers coaches who had been on staff because he had relationships with them built up.

To repeat: That is just one man. Who else would Fangio have stayed for if the 49ers had hired? I honestly don't know. So to argue that point would be a waste of my time. As is most of this overall argument.

--------

That point reminds me. To the person who argued over and over and over and over with me on a near daily basis back in the day about Adam Gase's future. Are we getting close to the day where it's time to admit that Adam Gase has not proven to be a great coaching hire? I'm not a big, "I told you so" guy but I'm still waiting to be proven wrong on ANYTHING I said about Adam Gase back in the day. My take on that one is holding up pretty darn well, as expected.

End of rant. End of pre-gloating/gloating.

Return to San Francisco 49ers