ImageImageImageImageImage

2019 Off-season

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Re: 2019 Off-season 

Post#761 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu May 2, 2019 11:37 pm

arich35 wrote:I totally forgot about Kentavius Street, he is basically a draft pick for us this year.

We have an incredible glut of guys who can play outside in base D and inside in passing situations. Armstead, Thomas, Blair, Street, and Taylor all kind of fit in that mold. For that reason, I might have preferred a Josh Sweat in the 4th. Or Maurice Hurst if we wanted a guy who could rush from inside.

I really have no idea what to expect out of Street. I thought he was a fourth-round talent without the injury, so not expecting big things, but he's really, really strong. It would be great to see him do something, I'm just not sure we have a spot for him to get much opportunity. But if he shows well, maybe we let Armstead walk this year. Or try to trade him (Armstead) before the season starts.
Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Post#762 » by Bald Bull » Fri May 3, 2019 2:55 pm

CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#763 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri May 3, 2019 3:44 pm

Haha. That was my reaction when I saw the news....
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#764 » by Jikkle » Fri May 3, 2019 5:13 pm

I'd at least bring Davis on and hope he shows enough in the preseason you can get someone to trade for him.

And considering the lack of depth on the offensive line he might end up sticking as well.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#765 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri May 3, 2019 5:22 pm

Jikkle wrote:I'd at least bring Davis on and hope he shows enough in the preseason you can get someone to trade for him.

And considering the lack of depth on the offensive line he might end up sticking as well.

He absolutely cannot stick on our roster. If we can get a trade for him, fine. But we can't go into another season relying on him as one of, what, eight OL on the roster? So we cut a guy who maybe gets picked up somewhere else, and then Davis decides he doesn't want to play after all. I'm done with that guy.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#766 » by Ray_Dogg » Fri May 3, 2019 6:22 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
arich35 wrote:I totally forgot about Kentavius Street, he is basically a draft pick for us this year.

We have an incredible glut of guys who can play outside in base D and inside in passing situations. Armstead, Thomas, Blair, Street, and Taylor all kind of fit in that mold. For that reason, I might have preferred a Josh Sweat in the 4th. Or Maurice Hurst if we wanted a guy who could rush from inside.

I really have no idea what to expect out of Street. I thought he was a fourth-round talent without the injury, so not expecting big things, but he's really, really strong. It would be great to see him do something, I'm just not sure we have a spot for him to get much opportunity. But if he shows well, maybe we let Armstead walk this year. Or try to trade him (Armstead) before the season starts.

I expect Street to be a stiff run stopping zero pass rush player. What we have in abundance. Of all those guys Blair is the only one who has shown some pass rush ability.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#767 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri May 3, 2019 6:46 pm

Ray_Dogg wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

I expect Street to be a stiff run stopping zero pass rush player. What we have in abundance. Of all those guys Blair is the only one who has shown some pass rush ability.

Hey, I said they COULD play inside on passing downs, not that they would be good at it.

I'm not holding out too much hope for Street, or any of our other guys, but we'll see. I've still got a tiny sliver of hope that Thomas can improve when focusing on the interior, but odds are he will continue to struggle. At least whoever is in that interior role should benefit from one-on-one blocks. But you're right that Blair is almost certainly the best pass rusher of the group.
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#768 » by ChrisPozz » Sat May 4, 2019 3:22 pm

Midwestern State QB Layton Rabb is getting a tryout with the 49ers. Probably won't even get much priority over Wilson Speight, who they actually signed as an UDFA, but wouldn't be surprised if he gets multiple chances before his career is done.

Two-year starter. Upright body with good movement skills for his size. Smart with good decision making and throws with some timing and anticipation. Can really place a ball at times, just not yet with great consistency.

Arm isn't real good. Delivery and release needs lots of work. Ball doesn't have a lot of zip to it. Mechanics break down under pressure.

In a Shanahan offense it's interesting because of the size with his movement skills and at times his ability to place the ball into small spaces at all levels of the field. No guarantees whatsoever from me and I never advocated for him on a small or large scale in the past but that's a better than some signing and a guy that has as good of a QB tryout chance with Shanahan as I could possibly expect IMO.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#769 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon May 6, 2019 5:19 am

MARQUISE GOODWIN
WR, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

Matt Maiocco of NBC Sports Bay Area expects the 49ers to employ Marquise Goodwin in a role similar to the way Taylor Gabriel was used in Atlanta.

Goodwin led San Francisco in receiving yards during his breakout 2017 campaign but took a backseat to Dante Pettis and George Kittle while battling injuries last year. After drafting a pair of wide receivers (Deebo Samuel and Jalen Hurd), Goodwin figures to slot into a gadget/utility role similar to how Kyle Shanahan employed Gabriel during his tenure as Atlanta's offensive coordinator. Goodwin offers game-changing speed and could thrive as a Gabriel-esque jack-of-all-trades, though his low volume in a suddenly crowded Niners' receiving corps limits his fantasy appeal.
SOURCE: NBC Sports Bay Area

May 5, 2019, 10:25 AM ET
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#770 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue May 7, 2019 9:35 pm

Posted this in the draft thread, but I'll put it here, too. Actually a pretty good breakdown of Hurd by Grant Cohn.

CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#771 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue May 7, 2019 10:27 pm

I remembered that Damontre Moore was on the team and was revisiting his "disastrous" combine performance. Gotta say, his measurables really aren't as bad as all that.

First off, he's very long, at 6'4 1/2" with 34 3/4" arms. His 40 was bad (4.95; would have been the worst among edge players this year), as was his bench (an incredible 12 reps at the combine, but he increased it to 19 at his pro day), but the bench doesn't look as bad when you consider his relatively low weight (250) and long arms. By comparison, Montez Sweat, universally regarded as having killed the combine, had 21 reps at 260 with (admittedly longer) 35 3/4" arms. Anthony Nelson put up 18 reps with 34 7/8" arms.

Moore's 35.5" vertical is actually pretty good, and his 122" broad jump was even better. Again, for comparison, Sweat came in at 36" and 125". Even Moore's three-cone at his pro day was pretty good (7.08; Sweat in at 7.0). His short shuttle at the pro day was also shaky, at 4.33. It's odd to see a guy do well on the three-cone and struggle in the shuttle; it makes me think he may have slipped on the shuttle.

He's still a longshot to make the roster, and had major maturity issues in his last NFL stint, but we're still pretty thin at edge. It could be interesting to see what he does.
Bald Bull
Veteran

Post#772 » by Bald Bull » Thu May 9, 2019 7:54 pm

Read on Twitter
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#773 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri May 10, 2019 3:59 pm

Interesting listen on the value of pass rush versus coverage with one of the PFF analytics guys:

https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/5/9/18537759/better-rivals-49ers-podcast-coverage-or-pass-rush-pff-eric-eager

This podcast captures the primary reason I was so frustrated with the Niners' draft. I have no problem whatsoever with emphasizing the edge pass rush this offseason. It's been an issue basically since 2013, and it looks like we've finally addressed it. But we also passed on an opportunity to throw a few more bodies into the mix in the defensive backfield. And throwing bodies at the coverage position is the way to go about it.

I'm a big believer in competition to bring out people's best. Look at WR and DL, and you can see the benefits of competition. Who makes the team at WR? We can say with some conviction that Pettis, Samuel, and Hurd make the roster. Beyond that, I can't say with conviction that anyone else makes it. Sure, I think Goodwin and Taylor both have a good shot. But then there's Richie James, and Jordan Matthews, and Kendrick Bourne. All of these guys have a legit chance of making the team, and even of playing a significant role. And sure, to an extent, that's a reflection of a lack of established players at the position, but it's also indicative of how we have brought in players to compete over the past few years.

The same is true along the defensive line. I can say with conviction that Buckner, Ford, and Bosa will be on the roster. Barring a trade, I'm pretty confident Armstead and Thomas make it. Jones has a very good shot as our most natural nose, but we also have Day who could play that spot. Street was a fairly high pick who hasn't played much, Blair was arguably our best DE outside pass rusher last year, and Taylor had some nice moments in the preseason (he's probably slated for the PS). That's going to be a dogfight. I would be pretty hard-pressed at this point to pick the eight or nine guys who make the roster.

When you look at CB and S. At CB, I am absolutely certain that Sherman, Moore, and Witherspoon make it. Barring injury setback (including just not being the same player as pre-injury), Verrett is basically locked in. I'm confident that Williams and Reed (if we consider him a CB) will make it; the only thing that would prevent that is if Reed switches to slot corner full time and beats out Williams. Maybe Tim Harris challenges to be kept on as an additional player, but I'd be pretty surprised if he actually bumps Moore or Witherspoon off the roster. Safety may have even less competition. Ward, Colbert, and Tartt are all but assured roster spots if healthy. It really doesn't matter how well they play, because we don't have anyone to replace them, especially at FS (granted Reed could mix in here). Maybe we cut one of Exum or Harris, who are borderline players anyway. There is no one else in the mix. And with limited competition, I'm not sure we get the best out of the guys who are there. There's a different sense of urgency when your very career is at stake. Right now, we can't challenge our young guys that way.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#774 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon May 13, 2019 4:12 pm

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/11/pro-football-focus-picks-2-49ers-as-possible-comeback-player-of-the-year/?utm_source=49ersWebZone&utm_medium=dt&utm_campaign=affref

Garoppolo and Verrett make the list, understandably. I'd think McKinnon has a legit shot, too. He may have trouble getting the snaps he'd need to make a real bid for it, but in Shanahan's scheme, if he's healthy, he could have a very strong season.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#775 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon May 13, 2019 10:21 pm

JOHN LYNCH
DB, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

49ers will not be featured on HBO's Hard Knocks.

Though the return of Jimmy Garoppolo and a new surrounding cast would make for enticing television, the Niners have reportedly been ruled out from being featured on this year's edition of Hard Knocks. The NFL has yet to decide which team will be held under the microscope, but remaining candidates are the Raiders, Lions, and Redskins. It would ultimately be a letdown if the league were to feature anyone outside of Antonio Brown, Vontaze Burfict, Jon Gruden, and the rest of Oakland's characters.
SOURCE: ProFootballTalk on Twitter

May 13, 2019, 4:37 PM ET
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#776 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue May 14, 2019 12:03 am

Somehow I had totally missed this:

https://sports.yahoo.com/kellen-winslow-trial-former-nfl-star-faces-potential-life-in-prison-171759910.html

Sexually assaulting homeless women? WTF happened to this dude?
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#777 » by ChrisPozz » Wed May 15, 2019 1:45 pm

Read on Twitter

Obviously has the Shanahan connection but he also went to HS about 450 miles straight south of the 49ers practice facility.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#778 » by ChrisPozz » Wed May 15, 2019 1:49 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

Obviously has the Shanahan connection but he also went to HS about 450 miles straight south of the 49ers practice facility.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/125497-49ers-expected-sign-levine-toilolo-per-report/

Toilolo was the highest-graded pass blocker (87.0 grade) among tight ends and dropped just three of his catchable targets last season, according to Pro Football Focus.
Bald Bull
Veteran

Post#779 » by Bald Bull » Thu May 16, 2019 7:23 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:I remembered that Damontre Moore was on the team and was revisiting his "disastrous" combine performance. Gotta say, his measurables really aren't as bad as all that.

First off, he's very long, at 6'4 1/2" with 34 3/4" arms. His 40 was bad (4.95; would have been the worst among edge players this year), as was his bench (an incredible 12 reps at the combine, but he increased it to 19 at his pro day), but the bench doesn't look as bad when you consider his relatively low weight (250) and long arms. By comparison, Montez Sweat, universally regarded as having killed the combine, had 21 reps at 260 with (admittedly longer) 35 3/4" arms. Anthony Nelson put up 18 reps with 34 7/8" arms.

Moore's 35.5" vertical is actually pretty good, and his 122" broad jump was even better. Again, for comparison, Sweat came in at 36" and 125". Even Moore's three-cone at his pro day was pretty good (7.08; Sweat in at 7.0). His short shuttle at the pro day was also shaky, at 4.33. It's odd to see a guy do well on the three-cone and struggle in the shuttle; it makes me think he may have slipped on the shuttle.

He's still a longshot to make the roster, and had major maturity issues in his last NFL stint, but we're still pretty thin at edge. It could be interesting to see what he does.

And now hes been waived
Read on Twitter
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#780 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu May 16, 2019 8:05 pm

Yeah, saw that. I can't argue against adding a DB, but I'm slightly disappointed to see Moore go at this stage. If Ford or Bosa gets hurt, Blair is going to be seeing a lot of snaps. And if both go down....I don't even want to think about it. Moore may have turned off the coaches upon getting into the building.

Return to San Francisco 49ers