2019 Off-season

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 942

Re: 2019 Off-season 

Post#821 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri May 24, 2019 4:08 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:You've got to be f-ing kidding me. Obviously it's not a surprise, but I figured he'd at least make it to the season. Thank god we didn't tap into this fairly deep (if not very top-heavy) safety class. Cause hey, it's awfully hard to beat out a guy like Jimmie Ward to make this team.

Didn’t we have a chance to get Nasir Adderley in the second round? Damn I would even have liked to take a late round flier on Dionte Thompson. Bummed knee and all...!

We had our pick of safeties in the second, other than Savage. Adderly went 60th. Thornhill went 63rd (those two hurt; would have loved one of those guys in the third, though it just would have made the Hurd pick that much worse if/when we passed on them to reach for him). In the fourth, Gardner-Johnson went one pick after we traded back. Hooker went six picks after we took Wishnowsky. But let's be reasonable. You don't just walk out the door and find a guy who can beat out Antone Exum or Marcell Harris. (Throws up a little in mouth, forces it back down.) To be fair, despite some depth at the position, there weren't a ton of guys who fit the single-high role in this draft. But there were a couple (specifically Adderley and Thornhill), and we don't currently have anyone who really fits that role, anyway, if Ward can't stay on the field.

Hell, in the second, we could have taken our pick at CB and moved Moore back to safety. I would have been happy with literally any effort to find a player for the defensive backfield who was physically capable of playing 16 games. We need bodies and competition back there. Especially when our approach has just been to draft physical specimens. How hard is it to find a big guy who runs fast and can push Greg Mabin fora roster spot? And instead, we used valuable picks in a very deep defensive draft to take a project WR and a punter.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 818

Post#822 » by arich35 » Fri May 24, 2019 4:35 pm

So many injuries already. I really hope this gets better come season time
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#823 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri May 24, 2019 5:34 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:You've got to be f-ing kidding me. Obviously it's not a surprise, but I figured he'd at least make it to the season. Thank god we didn't tap into this fairly deep (if not very top-heavy) safety class. Cause hey, it's awfully hard to beat out a guy like Jimmie Ward to make this team.

Didn’t we have a chance to get Nasir Adderley in the second round? Damn I would even have liked to take a late round flier on Dionte Thompson. Bummed knee and all...!

Taken in a stretch of picks that I think could be a nightmarish scenario for the 49ers when they look back at that round years from now and what it does/did to further separate the competition from the 49ers:

2nd

26. Cowboys - Trysten Hill
27. Colts - Parris Campbell
28. Chargers - Nasir Adderley
31. Chiefs - Juan Thornhill
32. Seahawks - D.K. Metcalf

Omissions: Taylor Rapp (29. Rams) and Andy Isabella (30. Cardinals). Two picks I cheered at for player evaluation/value perspectives that I think could help the 49ers out. Thankfully, both of those teams are in the NFC West. Unfortunately, the Seahawks may have hit a home run at that point (goin' down with the ship on him). I don't see the Rams getting much out of Rapp defensively and Isabella could be a part-time pain nuisance at best but I didn't like the value for them there.

Teams I know that already are better than the 49ers who also separated themselves in that round but much earlier: Joejuan Williams (Patriots), A.J. Brown (Titans).

Teams in the 49ers neighborhood that may have gotten a long-term player I liked from that round: Cody Ford (Buffalo), Dalton Risner (Broncos), Ben Banogu (Colts - on the high end value wise).

I also feel somewhat better about Byron Murphy (Cardinals), Rock Ya-Sin (Colts), and Mecole Hardman (Chiefs) now that I know where they're playing and who they'll be playing for.

That was a sad, sad round for me even though I liked Deebo the player a little - just not until it became a round 3 or 4 discussion. The 49ers lost too much ground in that round IMO.

I have plenty of complaints about the Shanahan-Lynch brain trust when it comes to personnel acquisition, but probably my biggest one is that they lock in on particular players and they get that guy no matter the cost. Whether it's big FA dollars for players at less important positions (Juszczyk, McKinnon, Alexander) or draft picks (Beathard, Williams, Pettis, Samuel, Hurd, Wishnowsky), they are just going to go get that guy. It's an indication that they think they are smarter than they are. You want to maximize your changes, but by focusing on specific players, they do the opposite. They have absolute conviction their guys will hit.

The second round wasn't devastating for me, because I do like Samuel. But it was very disappointing. This is a post I made shortly before the second round kicked off:

I'd be disappointed with Samuel at this point. Too much talent at other spots. If we want Samuel, trade back into the 40s.

And this is what I said about ten minutes after we picked him:

I don't think he sucks. And in a vacuum I don't hate the pick. But there were much better players available IMO, and at more important positions. I would have leapt at the trade the Hawks just got if he was the guy we were targeting.

Reading the way the draft was shaking out, Samuel was going to be there at 47. I could see that, and I'm just a fan (granted a fairly passionate one). But that's the thing about fixating on a specific player - even if he's not there, you'll get something or someone else that can also be great. If you think WR is that big of a need, Samuel and Brown are similar players. It's unlikely both get taken before 47. If you don't get Samuel, you probably get Brown. But even if they're both gone, then you take the safety. Or you take the OL. Or the CB. This team has way too many needs to get fixated on a specific player and throw away value to take him.

This is where Lynch and Shanahan's apparent overestimation of their own eyes for talent can bite us in the ass. To an extent, you could chalk their statements up to coach-speak, but their actions back their words up. They truly didn't believe at the time of the draft we had a problem in the defensive backfield. If they did, well damn, we sure would have addressed it somehow. So we've gone from "None of these guys in the second, third, or fourth round could have made the team," to "Does anyone know where we can get a replacement for that guy who gets injured every seasons? We didn't really account for the fact that he might get hurt and we don't have a viable fallback unless that former seventh-round pick who really struggled last year before getting hurt himself bounces back in a big way. But no way those third round guys make THIS roster." It's delusional. And it's going to hurt us this year.

Anyway, rant over.
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#824 » by ChrisPozz » Fri May 24, 2019 7:34 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:

Taken in a stretch of picks that I think could be a nightmarish scenario for the 49ers when they look back at that round years from now and what it does/did to further separate the competition from the 49ers:

2nd

26. Cowboys - Trysten Hill
27. Colts - Parris Campbell
28. Chargers - Nasir Adderley
31. Chiefs - Juan Thornhill
32. Seahawks - D.K. Metcalf

Omissions: Taylor Rapp (29. Rams) and Andy Isabella (30. Cardinals). Two picks I cheered at for player evaluation/value perspectives that I think could help the 49ers out. Thankfully, both of those teams are in the NFC West. Unfortunately, the Seahawks may have hit a home run at that point (goin' down with the ship on him). I don't see the Rams getting much out of Rapp defensively and Isabella could be a part-time pain nuisance at best but I didn't like the value for them there.

Teams I know that already are better than the 49ers who also separated themselves in that round but much earlier: Joejuan Williams (Patriots), A.J. Brown (Titans).

Teams in the 49ers neighborhood that may have gotten a long-term player I liked from that round: Cody Ford (Buffalo), Dalton Risner (Broncos), Ben Banogu (Colts - on the high end value wise).

I also feel somewhat better about Byron Murphy (Cardinals), Rock Ya-Sin (Colts), and Mecole Hardman (Chiefs) now that I know where they're playing and who they'll be playing for.

That was a sad, sad round for me even though I liked Deebo the player a little - just not until it became a round 3 or 4 discussion. The 49ers lost too much ground in that round IMO.

I have plenty of complaints about the Shanahan-Lynch brain trust when it comes to personnel acquisition, but probably my biggest one is that they lock in on particular players and they get that guy no matter the cost. Whether it's big FA dollars for players at less important positions (Juszczyk, McKinnon, Alexander) or draft picks (Beathard, Williams, Pettis, Samuel, Hurd, Wishnowsky), they are just going to go get that guy. It's an indication that they think they are smarter than they are. You want to maximize your changes, but by focusing on specific players, they do the opposite. They have absolute conviction their guys will hit.

The second round wasn't devastating for me, because I do like Samuel. But it was very disappointing. This is a post I made shortly before the second round kicked off:

I'd be disappointed with Samuel at this point. Too much talent at other spots. If we want Samuel, trade back into the 40s.

And this is what I said about ten minutes after we picked him:

I don't think he sucks. And in a vacuum I don't hate the pick. But there were much better players available IMO, and at more important positions. I would have leapt at the trade the Hawks just got if he was the guy we were targeting.

Reading the way the draft was shaking out, Samuel was going to be there at 47. I could see that, and I'm just a fan (granted a fairly passionate one). But that's the thing about fixating on a specific player - even if he's not there, you'll get something or someone else that can also be great. If you think WR is that big of a need, Samuel and Brown are similar players. It's unlikely both get taken before 47. If you don't get Samuel, you probably get Brown. But even if they're both gone, then you take the safety. Or you take the OL. Or the CB. This team has way too many needs to get fixated on a specific player and throw away value to take him.

This is where Lynch and Shanahan's apparent overestimation of their own eyes for talent can bite us in the ass. To an extent, you could chalk their statements up to coach-speak, but their actions back their words up. They truly didn't believe at the time of the draft we had a problem in the defensive backfield. If they did, well damn, we sure would have addressed it somehow. So we've gone from "None of these guys in the second, third, or fourth round could have made the team," to "Does anyone know where we can get a replacement for that guy who gets injured every seasons? We didn't really account for the fact that he might get hurt and we don't have a viable fallback unless that former seventh-round pick who really struggled last year before getting hurt himself bounces back in a big way. But no way those third round guys make THIS roster." It's delusional. And it's going to hurt us this year.

Anyway, rant over.

I don't know how much not having a general manager and brain trust in place has affected my line of thinking as of late but I can say wholeheartedly that adding someone (when Lynch is eventually gone) that grasps draft, player, and positional value as the league changes is definitely going to be something I study even more when I do my background write ups on these guys in the league because if I didn't see how important it was years ago, it's hitting me in the face harder and harder month by month, year by year.

Makes the whole Louis Riddick thing even more fascinating to go back and forth on in my head because while I have disagreed with his grading on specific players and guys he's specifically identified as personal targets of his (if he were GM'ing), he continually comes off as someone very measured and so well thought out on the part of the job that has to do with draft and college/pro positional value and how you structure your organization around some of those concepts.

I could talk myself into being more of a supporter of his just because of how important that aspect of it has become to me, especially after seeing how Lynch and company has operated since the beginning. Whether that makes him the guy at the top of the mountain when you factor everything else in, including the problems I still have with him, I'm not sure but it's a concept that helps him, and others, in my eyes.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#825 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri May 24, 2019 11:40 pm

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/49ers-considered-jimmie-wards-injury-history-one-year-contract

Niners considered his injury history in the contract. If only they'd considered it during the draft....
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#826 » by ChrisPozz » Sat May 25, 2019 2:43 am

Read on Twitter
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#827 » by NinerSickness » Sat May 25, 2019 3:09 am

ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

Unless he brought some steroids, I'm not getting my hopes up.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#828 » by Ray_Dogg » Sat May 25, 2019 4:24 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/49ers-considered-jimmie-wards-injury-history-one-year-contract

Niners considered his injury history in the contract. If only they'd considered it during the draft....

Was there another team out there willing to pay him $5M?
I don’t think there was.

To me $5M is not a prove it deal when it comes to a player like Ward.

A prove it deal would have been minimum with playing time incentives. This isn’t a guy who’s been good trying to make a comeback. He’s been average at best at every position he’s played.

They signed this guy because they thought too highly of him.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#829 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon May 27, 2019 5:58 pm

JERICK MCKINNON
RB, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

Jerick McKinnon (knee) isn't participating in OTAs.

Matt Breida (chest), Raheem Mostert (arm) and McKinnon have all been sidelined. McKinnon is working his way back from September ACL surgery but the 49ers expect him to be ready for training camp. He'll compete for touches in a crowded backfield when healthy.
SOURCE: NBC Sports Bay Area

May 27, 2019, 9:10 AM ET
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#830 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon May 27, 2019 6:00 pm

TEVIN COLEMAN
RB, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

NBC Sports Bay Area's Matt Maiocco expects Tevin Coleman to receive the most touches among the 49ers' running backs this year.

Coleman has been getting first-team reps with Jerick McKinnon, Matt Breida, and Raheem Mostert sitting out OTAs. There are some concerns McKinnon is going to need time to regain his pre-injury form, giving Coleman the early edge for lead back duties. Even if Coleman starts the year atop the depth chart, the 49ers backfield is a situation to avoid.
SOURCE: NBC Sports Bay Area

May 27, 2019, 9:20 AM ET
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#831 » by Ray_Dogg » Tue May 28, 2019 4:30 pm

Yes to Coleman. Can’t wait.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#832 » by Ray_Dogg » Tue May 28, 2019 6:34 pm

Read on Twitter

Him and Verrett were a couple of guys I thought we should take a flier on. We will see.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#833 » by ChrisPozz » Tue May 28, 2019 9:32 pm

Read on Twitter
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#834 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue May 28, 2019 9:35 pm

Ray_Dogg wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/49ers-considered-jimmie-wards-injury-history-one-year-contract

Was there another team out there willing to pay him $5M?
I don’t think there was.

To me $5M is not a prove it deal when it comes to a player like Ward.

A prove it deal would have been minimum with playing time incentives. This isn’t a guy who’s been good trying to make a comeback. He’s been average at best at every position he’s played.

They signed this guy because they thought too highly of him.

Yeah, I meant for my statements to be dripping with sarcasm. We totally overpaid. The guy could be the best single-high FS in league history, but we wouldn't know because he's never been able to produce at that spot or any other.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#835 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue May 28, 2019 9:37 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

No way a second or third-round corner makes this team. But why not bring that Dontae Johnson guy back? I'm sure he's still got something to prove.

No problems moving on from Pita. He was never much of a player, and now that we're making the SLB more of an off-ball backer, he doesn't really have a position.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#836 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue May 28, 2019 10:07 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

No way a second or third-round corner makes this team. But why not bring that Dontae Johnson guy back? I'm sure he's still got something to prove.

No problems moving on from Pita. He was never much of a player, and now that we're making the SLB more of an off-ball backer, he doesn't really have a position.

Dontae Johnson? Seriously? Can't the 49ers find another scrub to fill out the secondary? Why do they have to bring back Baalke's busts?
Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Post#837 » by Bald Bull » Wed May 29, 2019 3:51 am

The johnson signing makes zero sense to me. did he some how improve while he was gone?
Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Post#838 » by Bald Bull » Wed May 29, 2019 4:50 am

Read on Twitter
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#839 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed May 29, 2019 5:43 am

Bald Bull wrote:
Read on Twitter

37.5, and we didn't add even one guy who can challenge the starters, except a guy who is possibly the least healthy player in the league at present. Good call, guys.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#840 » by ChrisPozz » Wed May 29, 2019 8:47 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to San Francisco 49ers