Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 206

Re: Antonio Brown 

Post#21 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:06 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
49er4life1979 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Call me crazy, but I don't think WR is the glaring need that others appear to. Don't get me wrong, WR is probably our second biggest need on offense after interior OL (and maybe a replacement for Staley/RT), and it would be great to have an elite talent at WR. I hope that we add a guy in the offseason who will at least compete for a starting spot next year. That said, with mediocre talent at QB, our offense did alright for much of the year. We were 16th in yards, and 21st in points. Now, some of that can be chalked up to playing catch-up, but I think we'd be okay going into 2019 with Goodwin and Bourne outside, Pettis in the slot (outside in two-receiver sets), Kittle at TE, and McKinnon at RB on obvious passing downs. There are obviously some health questions there, but if those guys are all on the field, that's a decent group of pass catchers.

Not sure about Goodwin. I don't think he can consistently hold up over a 16 game season. He's better as a package player. I'd start Bourne and Pettis, with backups Taylor and Goodwin. WRs are ok, especially with Jimmy G coming back.

I agree re: Goodwin, that's why I said Pettis would go outside in two-receiver sets. I figure if we trotted out the same unit next year Pettis and Bourne would be the starters and Goodwin would come in - and Pettis kick inside - in three-receiver packages. Pettis could stay outside and James and Taylor could play inside, too. I don't expect Garcon to return obviously. I wanted to trade him before this season.

I think it was Shanahan who said the 49ers want to limit Goodwin's reps next season.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#22 » by Ray_Dogg » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:09 pm

I give the worst crown to Emmitt Smith. He is not kind to English.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 206

Post#23 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:11 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:
Bald Bull wrote:After speaking to brown on facetime Jerry Rice says Brown wants to be a 49er really bad.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25760587/jerry-rice-antonio-brown-wants-san-francisco-49ers-really-bad

Rice said he's not worried that Brown wouldn't fit in the 49ers' culture.

"Not a question. No hesitation at all," he said.

Rice said that if he were making the call, he'd definitely trade for Brown.

"If it was left up to me, he'd be here in a heartbeat."

It's this type of stuff in the broad sense that made Rice an awful, ALL-TIME bad TV analyst when he tried to do it. He had no sense, awareness or feel for anything outside of what players FEEL as they're playing the game. When he was asked to play coach or GM in spots he was just terrible and really bad because it was all emotion and feeling from him. He seems incapable most of the time at looking at a situation outside of how a player and/or fan feels toward something. He likes player X. He sees player X is good right now. He's sold and he projects time after time that you do whatever you have to, to go get player X. That's Jerry Rice.

Sorry. I just haven't been able to listen to Rice since a couple of years before he quit the game. He's terrible. He's awful. I wish others wouldn't go to him so they can put his take out there on football-related matters. I know he has a small relationship with AB and all that so there's a hair more value here than with some other situations but the "no hesitation at all" and "definitely trade for him" and "he'd be here in a heartbeat" is such garbage and it's SO JERRY RICE.

Sorry.

And I don't say ANY of that for LIKELY being against a realistic trade scenario for Brown. That's not why I say that about Rice. Even if I was completely down and in the boat that wants to trade for Brown I'd still say this. It has nothing to do with how I feel about trading for Brown. Honestly, I'm not even COMPLETELY against it until I knew some more things...even though I'm far more against it than I am for it.

(I still think he's a Steeler next year anyway).

I agree. I'll listen to 95.7 the Game in the mornings on the way to work sometimes. They have Rice on every Monday morning, and I almost always change the station when he comes on. I just don't find that he has much to offer in terms of that type of commentary. It's odd. I'd almost say he's lazy, which doesn't mesh at all with Rice the player, but his commentary is on a level with those guys who get one-year gigs on the sports networks and are then gone because they just don't have anything to offer and don't seem interested in doing the work to learn more and improve. I guess it's a completely different style of work, though not so different from, say, film study. I'm not sure how much film Rice watched back in the day, though. WR strikes me as a position where you could get away with doing less of it.

Was it Rice who said he would trade the #2 pick today for Brown?

Jerry Rice was an all world player, but I wouldn't make him the GM of my team. I doubt he even considers the salary cap and the roster needs on the team when he makes these comments. I am not surprised about the other comment. I listened to a Joe Montana interview in KNBR a few years back. He didn't provide much and it was clear from his comments that he really did not follow the game closely. he probably doesn't care all that much and is busy with his other interests.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#24 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:40 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#25 » by ChrisPozz » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:56 pm

'It's probably over': How it has gone wrong with Antonio Brown and the Steelers

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/29995/inside-the-antonio-brown-steelers-drama-its-probably-over

A deeper dive into the AB problems.

Good luck.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#26 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:37 pm

ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#27 » by ChrisPozz » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:27 am

NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#28 » by NinerSickness » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:55 pm

Do not want.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#29 » by NinerSickness » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:15 pm

Also do not want La'veon Bell. Dropping a bunch of money on WRs & RBs from a team w/ probably the best OL in the league and a HOF QB is dumb. Bad teams fall for that trap every year, and they almost always regret it.

Spend obscene amounts of money on the DL and / or the OL. Or CB. Or even a LB if a good one hits FA. But no former-Steeler, skill-position players.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#30 » by ChrisPozz » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:33 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:'It's probably over': How it has gone wrong with Antonio Brown and the Steelers

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/29995/inside-the-antonio-brown-steelers-drama-its-probably-over

A deeper dive into the AB problems.

Good luck.

ANTONIO BROWN
GUILTY OF RECKLESS DRIVING
... 100 MPH Porsche Incident

https://www.tmz.com/2019/02/12/antonio-brown-guilty-reckless-driving/
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#31 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:07 pm

NinerSickness wrote:Also do not want La'veon Bell. Dropping a bunch of money on WRs & RBs from a team w/ probably the best OL in the league and a HOF QB is dumb. Bad teams fall for that trap every year, and they almost always regret it.

Spend obscene amounts of money on the DL and / or the OL. Or CB. Or even a LB if a good one hits FA. But no former-Steeler, skill-position players.

We grossly overpaid for McKinnon last year. If we did it again for Bell, I'd lose my ****. I'm eager to see what a pass-catching RB like McKinnon can do in this scheme. And, obviously, if money wasn't a factor, I'd love to see Bell with his far superior running ability. But money is a factor, and I think it's foolish to spend big on any RB, particularly in this scheme. Part of why I was disappointed with the money for McKinnon.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#32 » by Ray_Dogg » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:33 pm

AB has formally requested a trade from the Steelers
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#33 » by Jikkle » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:43 pm

Read on Twitter
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#34 » by CalamityX12 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:56 pm

AB is getting more n more luggage...

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#35 » by ChrisPozz » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:34 pm

Read on Twitter
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#36 » by ChrisPozz » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:58 pm

Antonio Brown suggests that he doesn’t want a new deal, if traded

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/16/antonio-brown-suggests-that-he-doesnt-want-a-new-deal-if-traded/

Of course, Brown has every right two say it’s not about money. Until it eventually is about money.

Right.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#37 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:17 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/17/kyler-murray-nfl-draft-lincoln-riley-peter-king-fmia/

2. I think the more Antonio Brown tweets, the more he scares off potential suitors. (That’s not just something I think. In the case of one team, it’s something I know.)
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#38 » by ChrisPozz » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:25 pm

Antonio Brown eyes new team, guaranteed money

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001018274/article/antonio-brown-eyes-new-team-guaranteed-money

Brown's comments do indicate that if a team trades for his services, the Pro Bowl receiver would seemingly expect a new guaranteed-filled contract to come along with that swap. The expectation of sinking more money into the 30-year-old receiver could further deteriorate Brown's already waning trade stock.

---

Oh, and one more note from Brown's Monday Instagram Live session: He no longer wants to be called "A.B." and instead would like to be referred to as "Mr. Big Chest." So, there is that too.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#39 » by ChrisPozz » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:26 pm

Antonio Brown meets with Steelers president Art Rooney

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001018292/article/antonio-brown-meets-with-steelers-president-art-rooney?campaign=Twitter_atn

The wide receiver claims both parties "agreed that it is time to move on."

Claims being the key word.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#40 » by ChrisPozz » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:27 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Return to San Francisco 49ers