Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Re: 2019-'20 CFB SEASON / '20 NFL DRAFT 

Post#301 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Apr 7, 2020 9:12 pm

Dodub wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
Dodub wrote:I don’t agree with going by other people’s rankings. When building a roster you absolutely have to look at prospects in regards of their value to your team. If WR A is ranked lower on other people’s list but is top ranked on yours due to a schematic and roster for then you go with him over WR B who may be ranked higher on others lists. At the end of the day you do what makes more sense for your roster which is why Ruggs>Lamb for our particular team.

I don’t foresee Pettis becoming a good WR, he simply lacks the work ethic. None of the receivers on our team are legit game breakers which is what we lack. We love the short and intermediate stuff but as we saw, teams didn’t respect our deep game and played the short and intermediate routes. If we actually had a guy who could take the top off, then the offense would be significantly more dangerous

Sure, I agree that every team needs to create its draft board based on their scheme and current personnel. But if we think Lamb is just head-and-shoulders better than Ruggs, but isn't quite as good as a deep threat, I think you take the better player (i.e., you take DeAndre Hopkins over DeSean Jackson regardless of scheme and specific need, and deep threats/speed guys tend to bust at a higher rate anyway). Now, that may not be. I haven't scouted these guys, and the one game I started watching of Jeudy (LSU), Ruggs kept popping up and making plays. But everything I've read suggests that Lamb is capable of playing at basically any WR spot, and that he's a much more complete receiver.

As far as the Niners' deep game, I don't think it has much to do with personnel. We had a very good deep threat in Goodwin, and we hardly used him this past year - granted there seemed to be more than just on-field stuff going on there. Sanders is also an above-average deep threat, even at his age. But that's not Garoppolo's game. And it's not really Shanahan's either. We need more of it. In 2017, Garoppolo threw in that 15-20 yard range more than he did this past year. But he's a below average deep ball thrower (see: the Super Bowl). That won't change, even if you have a guy with that skill set. Even when he was hitting a wide open Sanders deep last year, Sanders would have to basically come to a dead stop to wait for the ball (until, of course, the one time when throwing short might have helped; I'm about 85% sure Sanders would have been the victim of PI against the Chiefs in the SB if he had to come back to that one). Even with Ryan and the Falcons, Shanahan still threw less downfield than most NFL offenses. It's just not something he prizes.

I agree on Pettis, though I'm hoping he has a wakeup call. He has the talent to play in the league, and the message should have been pretty clear that it's up to him. The larger point I was trying to make is that Hurd is still a huge unknown, too, and at least we've seen Pettis have some success against first-team NFL defenses.

I understand what you’re saying but I don’t agree with the premise of simply taking a superstar over a role player even if they don’t fit your need. I’m more in line with the Belichick model of picking guys that fit a role within your team instead of going big for the #1 WR

At the same position, you always take the superstar over the role player IMO. I think that's particularly true of WR for us at present. You don't draft a guy in the top half of the first round thinking about the next year. You think about years three, four, five. And who knows what our roster will look like at that point?

Right now, we have one second-year WR who looks promising in Samuel - which is what we had last offseason in Pettis and that didn't turn out so well - and then a bunch of guys. Bourne is fine as the third or fourth guy, but he's nothing special. Pettis has some talent, but may lack the will. Hurd is a complete question mark, both in terms of health and ability to play WR in the NFL. Taylor has shown some promise, but has major health issues and simply cannot be relied upon as a contributor. Yes, assuming Samuel pans out, we would best complement him with a guy who can stretch the defense. But I'm taking the best player at a position of need. Samuel and Lamb could complement one another the way Boldin and Fitzgerald did - and they'd actually be a fair bit faster. And then we find a guy with some speed (see: Goodwin, Benjamin, Gabriel, etc.) to be that one-dimensional deep threat.

For the record, I'm not saying Ruggs is a one-dimensional deep threat, or that we shouldn't take him. Just that, theoretically speaking, we need to take the clearly better player if there is one between these guys.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#302 » by clyde21 » Thu Apr 9, 2020 6:28 am

Tua should be the #1 pick
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#303 » by NinerSickness » Thu Apr 9, 2020 6:42 am

clyde21 wrote:Tua should be the #1 pick

Agreed. Doubt they trade up that far, though.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#304 » by clyde21 » Thu Apr 9, 2020 7:31 am

NinerSickness wrote:

i meant Tua should be the #1 overall pick lol
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#305 » by NinerSickness » Thu Apr 9, 2020 8:21 am

clyde21 wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:

i meant Tua should be the #1 overall pick lol

Ah. Wouldn't surprise me. But it's always hard to project dudes with health concerns.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#306 » by GS Warriors 1 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:06 pm

King: Niners are "desperately looking for space eater who can threaten the pocket and that's what South Carolina DT Javon Kinlaw does."

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/nfl-draft-2020-why-peter-king-picks-javon-kinlaw-49ers-no-13
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#307 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:38 pm

This is an area where I wouldn't necessarily credit King and his sources all that highly. I don't think he's hearing that from Niners management. And I certainly hope he's wrong. If we use the pick we got for Buckner on a DT, I'm going to be pissed. We still have a very good DL, and the value is (hopefully) at WR and OT when we come up at 13, two positions of major need for us. Ideally, someone will have already taken Kinlaw. There is a scenario where the two three tackles and top two WRs are all gone, and in that case, we're going to be pretty jammed up. Still, I'd take Ruggs or a CB over DT in that situation, if we can't trade down.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager

Post#308 » by GS Warriors 1 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:44 pm

I think it's smoke. Everyone knows the 49ers pretty much need to come away with an opening day starter/ major contributor at WR, so journos like King, Maiocco, Barrows, and the like have to come up with other stuff to write on the 49ers. Other than Samuel and possibly Bourne, who can be counted upon to step up for more snaps? I don't think you can have a convincing answer at this point. My take is somehow acquire 2 additional picks before 156 and use 2 of the first 4 picks on WR. First WR needs to be a starter-level player in tier 1(Jefferson may be included in that list with Jeudy, Lamb, and Ruggs) and take 1 more from tiers 2/3, which would be between 75-125.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#309 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:52 pm

GS Warriors 1 wrote:I think it's smoke. Everyone knows the 49ers pretty much need to come away with an opening day starter/ major contributor at WR, so journos like King, Maiocco, Barrows, and the like have to come up with other stuff to write on the 49ers. Other than Samuel and possibly Bourne, who can be counted upon to step up for more snaps? I don't think you can have a convincing answer at this point. My take is somehow acquire 2 additional picks before 156 and use 2 of the first 4 picks on WR. First WR needs to be a starter-level player in tier 1(Jefferson may be included in that list with Jeudy, Lamb, and Ruggs) and take 1 more from tiers 2/3, which would be between 75-125.

Right now, my preference would be to take an OT if one of the top three is available at 13 (Wirfs, Thomas, Wills), trade back at 31, and take a WR in the second round. In a perfect world, I'd love to add another WR high in this draft, but I don't think we can justify that. Particularly if we take a WR at 13. We desperately need a replacement for Staley - possibly as soon as this season, though I think he comes back for one more - and CB depth. To say nothing of a starting OG, DL depth, LB depth, possibly a safety. I realize it's hard to say this based on what happened at the position this past year, but we should be able to cobble together an adequate group at WR if we add one more solid player. Given that we have spent two seconds and a third in the past two drafts (not to mention a third and fourth in this one, though the fruit of those picks is no longer on our roster), it's really hard to justify two more picks in the first three or four rounds this year.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager

Post#310 » by GS Warriors 1 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:47 pm

The other 2 picks I'm looking at, besides the 2 WR, are CB and OL picks. Ruiz if he's available, early 2nd round. They could also do an additional trade down (pick up a 4th) and look at guys like Cushenberry and Hennessy. 3 of these guys are listed as C's but have the versatility to play G. Tackle guys are probably Lucas Niang (R2) and Matt Peart (R3). Round 3 CBs - Damon Arnette, Troy Pride, and Bryce Hall. Hall might be a 2nd round pick but suffered a broken ankle and did not partake in combine or pro day, so he may fall. He does profile as a possible starting zone corner in the NFL and could also be seen as having S versatility.

Understand the Staley worry, but as of now, I can't see them going there at 13 unless Staley has told them something and who knows which one will be available. Risk is that they may pick someone that high playing out of position for possibly up to 2 seasons. Wirfs is the guy that I think has the ability to switch and do well, not sure of the others. Wirfs is probably the 2nd T taken in the top 10. They could also see Brunskill has having the ability to play there and he graded out really well at LT last season. McGlinchey is not an NFL LT IMO.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#311 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:51 am

GS Warriors 1 wrote:The other 2 picks I'm looking at, besides the 2 WR, are CB and OL picks. Ruiz if he's available, early 2nd round. They could also do an additional trade down (pick up a 4th) and look at guys like Cushenberry and Hennessy. 3 of these guys are listed as C's but have the versatility to play G. Tackle guys are probably Lucas Niang (R2) and Matt Peart (R3). Round 3 CBs - Damon Arnette, Troy Pride, and Bryce Hall. Hall might be a 2nd round pick but suffered a broken ankle and did not partake in combine or pro day, so he may fall. He does profile as a possible starting zone corner in the NFL and could also be seen as having S versatility.

Understand the Staley worry, but as of now, I can't see them going there at 13 unless Staley has told them something and who knows which one will be available. Risk is that they may pick someone that high playing out of position for possibly up to 2 seasons. Wirfs is the guy that I think has the ability to switch and do well, not sure of the others. Wirfs is probably the 2nd T taken in the top 10. They could also see Brunskill has having the ability to play there and he graded out really well at LT last season. McGlinchey is not an NFL LT IMO.

The issue with LT is that it's really hard to find even a solid starter outside the first round. And even late in the round. Whereas, you can find quality WRs throughout the draft, even in years that are only okay at the position. Obviously I wouldn't love using the 13th pick this year on a guy who either won't play or will play out of position at RG (presumably), but I think any of those top three guys can do it. You could even argue that Thomas and Wills are better-suited inside than out. I agree Wirfs will almost certainly be gone, but a lot of mocks have one of Thomas or Wills there.

The true nightmare, as I see it, is not having a high first-round pick at OG for a year or two, but desperately needing a LT next year, sitting with a pick in the high 20s, and no one promising in the draft. If we have a chance to lock that spot up for the next five years or more, we need to take it IMO.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#312 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:39 pm

Brent Jones advocating trading up for Jeudy. I would not be pleased with that....
GS Warriors 1
General Manager

Post#313 » by GS Warriors 1 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:07 pm

Atlanta reportedly trying to move up into 8-11 range, supposedly for Kinlaw. I'd be absolutely ecstatic if that happened.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager

Post#314 » by GS Warriors 1 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:14 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Brent Jones advocating trading up for Jeudy. I would not be pleased with that....

Just to move up like 4 spots to 9 would likely mean 13, 156, and next year's #2. If he's absolutely their "guy", then they may do that but I would agree, let the board come to them. It's increasingly likely one of those top WR (possibly Jeudy) could fall to them given today's Kinlaw to ATL in a trade up rumor and the Falcons may be looking at that same spot.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#315 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:40 pm

For that reason alone, I'm okay with all the talk of Kinlaw to the Niners. Falcons will be thinking they have to leapfrog us.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 206

Post#316 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:27 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Brent Jones advocating trading up for Jeudy. I would not be pleased with that....

Luckily Brent Jones is not the GM. And many of these great former players aren't good at making personnel decisions. Rice wanted the 49ers to acquire Antonio Brown before the Raiders did.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#317 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:10 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:

Luckily Brent Jones is not the GM. And many of these great former players aren't good at making personnel decisions. Rice wanted the 49ers to acquire Antonio Brown before the Raiders did.

If this is true then Rice is a genius. There’s a reason why Tom Brady has a man crush for Antonio. I say if we miss out on one of the big 3 receivers in the draft, we bring him in on a cheap 1 year veteran contract. He’d be on a short leash, at this point I think he’d behave off/on the field knowing damn well tha’ll be his last chance in saving his career.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#318 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:11 pm

ANDREW THOMAS
T, COLLEGE PLAYER

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports "several teams in the top 10" have interest in Georgia LT Andrew Thomas.

Thomas is among the consensus top-four at the position who are expected to be drafted within the first 14 picks. A left tackle with multiple years of high-quality play in the SEC have made him a hot commodity and a dark horse for the first tackle off the board in the 2020 NFL Draft. One team with specific interest is the New York Jets who hold the No. 11 pick. They hosted Thomas for dinner and a live workout before restrictions ended pre-draft visits. Expect Thomas to be drafted as high as No. 4 to the Giants and as low as No. 14 to the Bucs.
SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Apr 17, 2020, 1:09 PM ET
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#319 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:18 pm

Not here to advocate or defend Tua but I really hate it when I hear things like this - removing him or any player entirely from your draft board regardless of draft position. You mean to tell me if he were available in the 4th round let alone the 7th round, that team wouldn’t draft him? Utterly stupid mind set.

TUA TAGOVAILOA
QB, COLLEGE PLAYER

An anonymous NFL executive expressed "serious concern about the durability" of Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa to The Athletic's Bob McGinn.

McGinn has conducted these polls with executives and scouts for 36 years. Quotes were made anonymous starting in 2015. That executive wasn't the only one of the 18 polled to slam Tagovailoa. "I don’t want to put my whole franchise on a left-handed, beat-up, 6-foot quarterback. No thank you," said an AFC personnel man. “He’s a great college player but, wow, he is fragile,” another AFC personnel man said. “He’s a super kid and I don’t wish ill will, but there’s three, four or five red flags staring us all in the face saying, ‘You know what? This guy’s not going to be all that he’s cracked up to be.’” Some teams have expressed concern about Tagovailoa's hip injury being a problem again in a few years, causing concern when he's due a second NFL contract. On top of the hip, Tagovailoa has also had surgeries on both ankles for high-ankle sprains, a sprained knee, and hand surgery. He's already been pretty banged up in his career. At least three teams have removed Tua from their draft boards completely. His draft night could be interesting.
SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 17, 2020, 9:45 AM ET
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#320 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:44 pm

JUSTIN JEFFERSON
WR, COLLEGE PLAYER

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo expects LSU WR Justin Jefferson to come off the board between the 15th and 25th picks.

As Garafolo notes, Jefferson has been popularly mocked to the Eagles at No. 21, a notion he does not shoot down. Garafolo does have doubts that Jefferson makes it that far, especially since the Eagles' interest seems to be more than just a mock draft connection. Garafolo's colleague James Palmer reports the Broncos have "done a good amount of work" on Jefferson at No. 15. Absurdly productive in the SEC, 21-year-old Jefferson had a strong Combine and is a near certain bet to hear his name called on Day 1.
SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Apr 16, 2020, 3:13 PM ET

Return to San Francisco 49ers