ImageImageImageImageImage

2020 Offseason

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Re: 2020 Offseason 

Post#381 » by GS Warriors 1 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:22 pm

7th round pick WR Jauan Jennings has signed his 4-year rookie deal. Jennings joins OL Colton McKivitz (5th round) as draft pick signings to date. Javon Kinlaw, Brandon Aiyuk, and Charlie Woerner are the remaining picks not signed.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#382 » by Pattersonca65 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:36 pm

Injury to Samuel is concerning. He has a Jones Fracture. Both Jimmie Ward and Trent Taylor had Jones Fractures and both missed significantly more time than was anticipated after the injury. Hope he heals well and fully
GS Warriors 1
General Manager

Post#383 » by GS Warriors 1 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 10:25 pm

Barrows mailbag: "Talked to 'industry source in the know' that expects Kittle's contract extension to be in the $13M per year range."

Still makes him the highest paid TE by $2.5M per year if this number is true. On a 4-year deal, it's worth up to $52M...5-year deal, it's worth up to $65M. Either case, there appears to be some movement on a Kittle extension possibly happening before the start of the season.

Also, NFL announced that the preseason will be 2 games. Weeks 1 and 4 will be removed. 49ers games vs Las Vegas and at Chicago will be the 2 preseason games on the schedule for the 49ers.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 942

Post#384 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Jul 2, 2020 12:47 am

That would be amazing. I'd been thinking at least $15 million, and likely higher.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#385 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Jul 3, 2020 4:49 am

Saw a headline about the team exploring extensions with Bourne and Mostert. Not crazy about either move. Bourne is a solid enough player, nice to have as a fourth WR. But I wouldn't pay much for that. There are lots of guys out there who can fill that role. Mostert even less so. He's never been the guy before, and he's under contract at a pretty reasonable price for the next two years. At the end of that, he'll be 30. I'd like to see him for at least one more season before we contemplate extending him, and even then would be lukewarm on giving him much more money than he's getting now.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#386 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Jul 3, 2020 5:55 am

DJ Reed with a torn pec. Good grief! I can't recall this many serious injuries - granted none should be season ending so far - before camp has even started. Ugh.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#387 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Jul 3, 2020 11:59 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Saw a headline about the team exploring extensions with Bourne and Mostert. Not crazy about either move. Bourne is a solid enough player, nice to have as a fourth WR. But I wouldn't pay much for that. There are lots of guys out there who can fill that role. Mostert even less so. He's never been the guy before, and he's under contract at a pretty reasonable price for the next two years. At the end of that, he'll be 30. I'd like to see him for at least one more season before we contemplate extending him, and even then would be lukewarm on giving him much more money than he's getting now.

Extend them, make them feel more comfortable and loved. They are leaders and you want them secure. That said, the NFL doesn't have much guarantee on contracts so it's not like they can't be cut later.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#388 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Jul 3, 2020 12:01 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:DJ Reed with a torn pec. Good grief! I can't recall this many serious injuries - granted none should be season ending so far - before camp has even started. Ugh.

2 years ago the 49ers were the 5th most injured team, last year they were the 4th most injured. Maybe they are going for 3rd.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,267

Post#389 » by wco81 » Fri Jul 3, 2020 5:43 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Saw a headline about the team exploring extensions with Bourne and Mostert. Not crazy about either move. Bourne is a solid enough player, nice to have as a fourth WR. But I wouldn't pay much for that. There are lots of guys out there who can fill that role. Mostert even less so. He's never been the guy before, and he's under contract at a pretty reasonable price for the next two years. At the end of that, he'll be 30. I'd like to see him for at least one more season before we contemplate extending him, and even then would be lukewarm on giving him much more money than he's getting now.

If it wasn't for the pandemic, salary cap wouldn't be as much of an issue. Without the ability to have fans, that's assuming they still have uninterrupted season and get all the TV revenues, they're facing the cap shrinking by tens of millions instead of growing by like $40 million next year.

I would go through the season and see if those players and the team still performs at a high level. If they do and the team is still in the contention window, then you try to keep players who continue to be productive.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,267

Post#390 » by wco81 » Fri Jul 3, 2020 5:45 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:DJ Reed with a torn pec. Good grief! I can't recall this many serious injuries - granted none should be season ending so far - before camp has even started. Ugh.

What's the deal with torn muscles?

Kwon had it last year too.

When Justin Smith tore a tricep about 8 years ago before the playoffs, there was some discussion that torn muscles are usually one side effect of some PEDs.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#391 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Jul 3, 2020 9:44 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:

Extend them, make them feel more comfortable and loved. They are leaders and you want them secure. That said, the NFL doesn't have much guarantee on contracts so it's not like they can't be cut later.

Why do you want them to be comfortable? You should want them playing for a contract. That's one way to ensure they give it their all, not that I particularly doubt those two guys. As far as leaders, I mean, kind of. But I wouldn't pay one of them for that reason. Both are pretty replaceable IMO, though I am curious to see if Mostert can maintain the level of play he showcased at the end of the season.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#392 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Jul 4, 2020 1:09 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

Why do you want them to be comfortable? You should want them playing for a contract. That's one way to ensure they give it their all, not that I particularly doubt those two guys. As far as leaders, I mean, kind of. But I wouldn't pay one of them for that reason. Both are pretty replaceable IMO, though I am curious to see if Mostert can maintain the level of play he showcased at the end of the season.

It's hard to be a leader (Shanahan said both were leaders, Mostert for ST and Bourne being the vet WR) if you don't have a contract for the next year. If they extend them to reasonable contracts that the team can get out of with little to no penalty that makes sense to me.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#393 » by CrimsonCrew » Sat Jul 4, 2020 2:56 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

It's hard to be a leader (Shanahan said both were leaders, Mostert for ST and Bourne being the vet WR) if you don't have a contract for the next year. If they extend them to reasonable contracts that the team can get out of with little to no penalty that makes sense to me.

Mostert is under contract for two more years. I don't see Bourne as a leader, per se. He's the third or fourth receiver. Maybe lower depending upon how things shake out with Aiyuk, Hurd, Taylor, and even Pettis. And why are those guys going to agree to contracts that allow them to be cut for little or no penalty for the team? That means effectively no guaranteed money.

Especially with the uncertainty of the cap over the upcoming years, there's simply no reason to extend these guys now - unless they think Bourne will develop into a #1 and they want to lock him up. And that would be something of a shock to me.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#394 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:19 pm

JERICK MCKINNON
RB, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

The Athletic's Matt Barrows is "bullish" that Jerick McKinnon (knee) returns to full health.

The last we checked in with McKinnon, he had yet to resume cutting. That's apparently changed. Barrows reports McKinnon has "been pushing his surgically repaired knee more strenuously than he did last year, and so far it’s responded." With limited offseason practice and even less media access to base decisions on, reporting like this is huge. McKinnon figures to be the No. 3 back behind Raheem Mostert and Tevin Coleman, but we all know how quickly coach Kyle Shanahan can change the pecking order of his backfield. McKinnon is an upside pick in the very last round of deeper fantasy drafts while Mostert is a boom-bust RB2/3. The Athletic's David Lombardi also notes, "The team can save over $1 million by releasing Coleman and replacing him with Ahmed or Hasty, but it seems Shanahan would prefer to ease the rookies into the mix through the practice squad."
SOURCE: The Athletic

Jul 25, 2020, 2:11 PM ET
GS Warriors 1
General Manager

Post#395 » by GS Warriors 1 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:45 pm

49ers reworked Raheem Mostert's deal. Base salary of $2.575M with a $300,000 bonus. He can earn an additional $2.75M in bonuses and incentives. Per Adam Schefter.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#396 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:56 am

GS Warriors 1 wrote:49ers reworked Raheem Mostert's deal. Base salary of $2.575M with a $300,000 bonus. He can earn an additional $2.75M in bonuses and incentives. Per Adam Schefter.

Sounds like exactly what was expected. A deal his agent can sell as a raise but with favorable terms for the 49ers.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Post#397 » by Jikkle » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:02 am

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:JERICK MCKINNON
RB, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

The Athletic's Matt Barrows is "bullish" that Jerick McKinnon (knee) returns to full health.

The last we checked in with McKinnon, he had yet to resume cutting. That's apparently changed. Barrows reports McKinnon has "been pushing his surgically repaired knee more strenuously than he did last year, and so far it’s responded." With limited offseason practice and even less media access to base decisions on, reporting like this is huge. McKinnon figures to be the No. 3 back behind Raheem Mostert and Tevin Coleman, but we all know how quickly coach Kyle Shanahan can change the pecking order of his backfield. McKinnon is an upside pick in the very last round of deeper fantasy drafts while Mostert is a boom-bust RB2/3. The Athletic's David Lombardi also notes, "The team can save over $1 million by releasing Coleman and replacing him with Ahmed or Hasty, but it seems Shanahan would prefer to ease the rookies into the mix through the practice squad."
SOURCE: The Athletic

Jul 25, 2020, 2:11 PM ET

McKinnon is one that it seems a lot are sleeping on.

If he's 100% it wouldn't be surprising to me if he ends up with the most snaps between the RBs this upcoming season. It's easy to forget Shanahan had big plans for him when they signed him to the big deal a couple of years ago so there is no reason to think if McKinnon is healthy Shanahan wouldn't use him as he originally planned.

Shanahan wants an RB that can be a receiving threat and McKinnon fits that bill more than Mosert does.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,895

Post#398 » by Samurai » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:51 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
GS Warriors 1 wrote:49ers reworked Raheem Mostert's deal. Base salary of $2.575M with a $300,000 bonus. He can earn an additional $2.75M in bonuses and incentives. Per Adam Schefter.

Sounds like exactly what was expected. A deal his agent can sell as a raise but with favorable terms for the 49ers.

Yup. I think this was the right move for the organization. Mostert can indeed make Coleman-like money, which was his goal, but he has to produce in order to achieve that. Wish more contracts were based on a pay-for-performance basis. And it is not an extension as no years were added; he is still signed through 2021. But under the circumstances, this seems like a win-win for Mostert and the team.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#399 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:41 pm

Chris Finke waived ... that didn't take long.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#400 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:32 pm

I'm definitely taking McKinnon for $1 at the end of my fantasy draft. With the Mostert incentives, the team is actually incentivized to limit his touches. Hopefully the new contract means that we will cut Coleman and use one of the rookies in his place.

Return to San Francisco 49ers