ImageImageImageImageImage

2020 Offseason

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Re: 2020 Offseason 

Post#521 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 5:37 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Though word of Sanu's release is interesting. We tried to trade for him last year, and would presumably be interested this year. I'd imagine he would compete with a guy like Tavon Austin, though.

Seems unlikely they go for him this time this late in camp ... but Austin does less for me than Sanu so it's probably worth the phone call to see if he's interested and at what price.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 941

Post#522 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Sep 3, 2020 5:40 pm

He should be pretty familiar with the offense, and we're hurting for experience at the position, so I think there's a fair chance they at least consider it. Though cuts are two days away.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#523 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:02 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:He should be pretty familiar with the offense, and we're hurting for experience at the position, so I think there's a fair chance they at least consider it. Though cuts are two days away.

Yeah. I didn't really want him last year, but with Hurd down again he at least brings something to the WR corps that they don't have.

Samuel, Aiyuk, Bourne, Taylor, James, Pettis, Austin, Jefferson

Of that group Austin is the least interesting to me, but you are right that there is very little experience.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#524 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:43 pm

Yeah, I'm personally not very interested, and certainly didn't want to trade for him last year. Just projecting what the FO may do. Sanu would bump Jennings to the PS - if Jennings has a shot.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#525 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Sep 3, 2020 10:03 pm

Cuts coming in. Jamar Taylor cut. Should be a good sign for K'Waun Williams' health, and possibly even Verrett's.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#526 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 10:14 pm

Austin to IR ... Sanu's ears are burning.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#527 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Sep 3, 2020 10:41 pm

If he didn't make the Pats, though.... Their WR situation is worse than ours. Could have been salary related as they wouldn't have had to eat much/any dead money given they got him via trade.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,226

Post#528 » by thesack12 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 11:09 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
thesack12 wrote:So even with Deebo/Aiyuk/Hurd/James all missing large portions or the entirety of training camp/preseason, Dante Pettis still hasn't been able to elevate himself within a position group consisting of Kendrick Bourne/Trent Taylor/JaJaun Jennings/Tavon Austin/JJ Nelson/Kevin White/River Cracraft/Jaron Brown/Shawn Poindexter.

Apparently he's projected to make the roster, but at this point I expect nothing out of him and anything positive he might provide I'll consider a bonus.

That one doesn't sting as much as the godawful AJ Jenkins pick, but man its super disappointing.

Pettis is almost certainly going to make the team at this point, though he possibly/probably owes that to all the injuries at the position. His biggest problem is consistency. There' have been some rave reviews about him, but they are interspersed with stretches where he just disappears.

Pettis has recently been praised for his work in the deeper middle area. That's where he excelled in his rookie year, and as a sometimes third receiver, he still offers some real potential. He has a knack for getting very open when he does win. But in week one, I'm guessing we'll see a lot of two-TE sets, and may even see McKinnon splitting out, and he has almost no chance of beating out Samuel and Aiyuk for a starting role.

Yeah, I hear you. Pettis did show some solid ability and a few flashes the latter part of his rookie season.

That said, the concern for me is the WR corps has been decimated by injuries last year and this entire summer. Yet Pettis did next to nothing last season, except take up full time residence in Shanahan's doghouse, and hasn't shown the ability to separate himself from a super underwhelming WR group this summer.

It really makes you wonder that if he can't find a way to be relevant with injuries piled up at his position, if he ever will. Granted, if the position group ever gets on the healthy side then he likely won't be needed anyways.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,226

Post#529 » by thesack12 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 11:12 pm

Sign me up for Sanu on a minimum deal over any of James/White/Cracraft/Poindexter/Taylor.

They just activated James, however. So he likely isn't going anywhere. Just hope we don''t have to see him constantly hurt the team by leaving yards on the field with him on return duty.
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#530 » by I_am_1z » Fri Sep 4, 2020 3:18 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Hamstring injury for Verrett. Ugh. Hopefully it's just a minor tweak. So many soft-tissue injuries.

I know people think Ahkello is a bust, but the guy can figure out how to find the ball and high point a deflection he'd immediately be a probowler. Jason Verrrett has been getting lit up by Aiyuk from the looks of it in camp. I wouldn't trust him at all. Sherman praised him at being better at the line of scrimmage this year, which is as lackluster as it gets. Our CBs are rarely in press coverage. I like Mosely, but as we've seen in the Superbowl and against the Cardinals, when going up against elite speed the 49ers DBs get burned far too often if the pass rush isn't coming through in time.
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#531 » by I_am_1z » Fri Sep 4, 2020 3:23 pm

If Shanahan uses the 2 TE set early and often this year, we're going to easily win the division.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#532 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 3:46 pm

I_am_1z wrote:If Shanahan uses the 2 TE set early and often this year, we're going to easily win the division.

Think Shanahan will do a favor for Kittle and run the 4 TE formation on national TE day?
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#533 » by I_am_1z » Fri Sep 4, 2020 3:54 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:If Shanahan uses the 2 TE set early and often this year, we're going to easily win the division.

Think Shanahan will do a favor for Kittle and run the 4 TE formation on national TE day?

It's looking like we'll keep only 3 TEs, but I wouldn't be against keeping a 4th over a WR.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#534 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Sep 4, 2020 4:07 pm

I_am_1z wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Hamstring injury for Verrett. Ugh. Hopefully it's just a minor tweak. So many soft-tissue injuries.

I know people think Ahkello is a bust, but the guy can figure out how to find the ball and high point a deflection he'd immediately be a probowler. Jason Verrrett has been getting lit up by Aiyuk from the looks of it in camp. I wouldn't trust him at all. Sherman praised him at being better at the line of scrimmage this year, which is as lackluster as it gets. Our CBs are rarely in press coverage. I like Mosely, but as we've seen in the Superbowl and against the Cardinals, when going up against elite speed the 49ers DBs get burned far too often if the pass rush isn't coming through in time.

He was a third-round pick, so I wouldn't call him a bust. But yes, his awful ball skills are holding him back. And sure, if he could change that, he'd be a good, maybe even great, player. But that's a pretty tall order. Guys don't typically just become good at locating the ball. If they did, Chris Culliver could have been a pro bowler, too. And many players in the league could great if they could resolved their greatest weakness.

As for Mosely, he ran a 4.42 at his pro day, so he's not slow (even assuming that his pro day time is a bit faster than his combine time would have been). The big plays against the Cards and the Chiefs were more the product of busted coverages than a lack of pure speed as I recall.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#535 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Sep 4, 2020 4:58 pm

TOM COMPTON
T, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

49ers restructured OG Tom Compton's contract.

Signed to a one-year, $2.15 million contract in March, Compton agreed to receive merely $1.05 million with a chance to earn more through bonuses. This restructuring ensures his place on the active roster as he continues to compete as depth in the regular season.
SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Sep 4, 2020, 12:06 PM ET
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#536 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Sep 4, 2020 5:49 pm

The Compton addition was a mistake from the beginning. We would have been better off sticking with Person - and that's really saying something.
Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Post#537 » by Bald Bull » Fri Sep 4, 2020 7:48 pm

trent taylor is going to break out this year if he stays healthy.
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#538 » by I_am_1z » Fri Sep 4, 2020 10:57 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:

He was a third-round pick, so I wouldn't call him a bust. But yes, his awful ball skills are holding him back. And sure, if he could change that, he'd be a good, maybe even great, player. But that's a pretty tall order. Guys don't typically just become good at locating the ball. If they did, Chris Culliver could have been a pro bowler, too. And many players in the league could great if they could resolved their greatest weakness.

As for Mosely, he ran a 4.42 at his pro day, so he's not slow (even assuming that his pro day time is a bit faster than his combine time would have been). The big plays against the Cards and the Chiefs were more the product of busted coverages than a lack of pure speed as I recall.

Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#539 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Sep 5, 2020 2:04 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:The Compton addition was a mistake from the beginning. We would have been better off sticking with Person - and that's really saying something.

You know Person retired right?
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#540 » by CrimsonCrew » Sat Sep 5, 2020 2:39 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:The Compton addition was a mistake from the beginning. We would have been better off sticking with Person - and that's really saying something.

You know Person retired right?

Person retired after he was cut. I bet he would have stuck out another year on the Niners.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying Person would have been any kind of solution. Just that he was better than Compton.

Return to San Francisco 49ers