Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 206

Front Office Rift. Lynch.on the outs? 

Post#1 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:20 pm

Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Re: Front Office Rift. Lynch.on the outs? 

Post#2 » by Jikkle » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:43 pm

There might be something there but I doubt there is much to it.

Shanahan had his choice on who to pick as GM as York was going to go along with whoever Kyle wanted.

So tough for me to believe that he's somehow surprised that a guy with no scouting or front office experience isn't a draft whiz.

it's also even tougher for me to believe that Kyle doesn't want to be bothered with player evaluation. The whole reason you would hire Lynch in the first place is because you wanted to be all over player evaluation and you wanted a guy that did the leg and grunt work for you not someone that was going to really butt heads with you over players.

I'm not going to completely dismiss it because maybe Kyle is putting in more work than he wants to or expected too in regards to player evaluation but make no mistake in that Kyle's fingerprints are all over free agency and the draft and that's how he wants it.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#3 » by Ray_Dogg » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:07 pm

Kyle was watching punters. Think about it...
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#4 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:03 pm

I don't trust Lynch's scouting eye. That said, the players I feel like we have really reached for have been on the offensive side of the ball, which I have always attributed to Shanahan.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#5 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:17 pm

Jikkle wrote:

There might be something there but I doubt there is much to it.

Shanahan had his choice on who to pick as GM as York was going to go along with whoever Kyle wanted.

So tough for me to believe that he's somehow surprised that a guy with no scouting or front office experience isn't a draft whiz.

it's also even tougher for me to believe that Kyle doesn't want to be bothered with player evaluation. The whole reason you would hire Lynch in the first place is because you wanted to be all over player evaluation and you wanted a guy that did the leg and grunt work for you not someone that was going to really butt heads with you over players.

I'm not going to completely dismiss it because maybe Kyle is putting in more work than he wants to or expected too in regards to player evaluation but make no mistake in that Kyle's fingerprints are all over free agency and the draft and that's how he wants it.

Buyers remorse? I am skeptical myself. If we hear more chatter, then maybe there is something to it
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#6 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:22 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:I don't trust Lynch's scouting eye. That said, the players I feel like we have really reached for have been on the offensive side of the ball, which I have always attributed to Shanahan.

Yes. I think Shanahan is the primary person behind offensive roster moves. Not sure what is behind the dynamics of overpaying and over drafting of players? I think what you've said in other threads is probably accurate. They focus on their list of guys and will get them even if it means drafting them too early.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#7 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:43 pm

As I think about it, I may not be right. We have grossly overspent for both offensive (Juszczyk, McKinnon, arguably Garcon) and defensive (Smith, Alexander) players. It's more true in the draft. We reached a bit on Thomas, but his value was in that ballpark and that draft wasn't a good one for the second pick. Otherwise, defensive picks have been in the ballpark of value (Street comes to mind as a reach, but the injury blurs his value). Beathard, Williams, Pettis, and Hurd were all pretty significant reaches IMO.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#8 » by Ray_Dogg » Wed May 1, 2019 2:26 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:As I think about it, I may not be right. We have grossly overspent for both offensive (Juszczyk, McKinnon, arguably Garcon) and defensive (Smith, Alexander) players. It's more true in the draft. We reached a bit on Thomas, but his value was in that ballpark and that draft wasn't a good one for the second pick. Otherwise, defensive picks have been in the ballpark of value (Street comes to mind as a reach, but the injury blurs his value). Beathard, Williams, Pettis, and Hurd were all pretty significant reaches IMO.

Yes we have and save for Alexander who I have very little faith in neither of those guys have been worth the money spent. Thankfully that money spent hasn't prevented us from getting or resigning anyone. We probably have Maraathe to thank for that. My bigger issue in free agency is we don't swing for the fences and use more of our cap space. Why not add another guy or two that can be big money short term deals that won't prevent you from signing young guys in the future. Why spend $5M on Jimmy Ward and hang onto $30+M in cap space? Ward has already proven that he's mediocre at best at multiple positions and that he can't stay healthy. I don't understand it.

Sure that draft wasn't great at pick 2 but we made it worst by taking a player who I did not feel should even be in that ballpark at 2/3. The pool of players to choose from for me was Watson, Barnett, Lattimore and Hooker. I could have lived with Davis, Williams or Fournette. I liked all those players. I liked Mahomes as well but just liked Watson more so Mahomes was never an option in my mind.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#9 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed May 1, 2019 3:33 pm

Ray_Dogg wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:As I think about it, I may not be right. We have grossly overspent for both offensive (Juszczyk, McKinnon, arguably Garcon) and defensive (Smith, Alexander) players. It's more true in the draft. We reached a bit on Thomas, but his value was in that ballpark and that draft wasn't a good one for the second pick. Otherwise, defensive picks have been in the ballpark of value (Street comes to mind as a reach, but the injury blurs his value). Beathard, Williams, Pettis, and Hurd were all pretty significant reaches IMO.

Yes we have and save for Alexander who I have very little faith in neither of those guys have been worth the money spent. Thankfully that money spent hasn't prevented us from getting or resigning anyone. We probably have Maraathe to thank for that. My bigger issue in free agency is we don't swing for the fences and use more of our cap space. Why not add another guy or two that can be big money short term deals that won't prevent you from signing young guys in the future. Why spend $5M on Jimmy Ward and hang onto $30+M in cap space? Ward has already proven that he's mediocre at best at multiple positions and that he can't stay healthy. I don't understand it.

Sure that draft wasn't great at pick 2 but we made it worst by taking a player who I did not feel should even be in that ballpark at 2/3. The pool of players to choose from for me was Watson, Barnett, Lattimore and Hooker. I could have lived with Davis, Williams or Fournette. I liked all those players. I liked Mahomes as well but just liked Watson more so Mahomes was never an option in my mind.

I'm not defending the Thomas pick. I really didn't like it at the time, and the only thing that kind of salvaged it for me was the trade back. And to the extent that I could stand it, it was because I thought he would play some big end and primarily inside on passing downs (which is also part of why I didn't like it; too similar to Armstead and Buckner), not start him out at Leo. Like you, I wanted Barnett, Lattimore, or Hooker. Frankly, I wanted a trade down for one of those guys, but there didn't appear to be a market for that (I would have taken much less than "full" value for the pick given the circumstances). But Thomas wasn't a huge reach. Most evaluators had him in the top-10. Click through the list of sites below and he was top-10 in all of them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=2017+nfl+draft+prospect+rankings&rlz=1C1GCEU_enUS821US822&oq=2017+nfl+draft+prospect+rankings&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l2.6807j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Return to San Francisco 49ers