ImageImageImageImageImage

How much longer can we allow this?

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

How much longer can we allow this? 

Post#1 » by I_am_1z » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:31 pm

Jimmy Grapps and Kyle Shanahan are the only two liabilites of this 49er team. Personnel wise, we all know Breida is the best RB on the team. For some odd reason, despite looking like a home run threat every time he carries the ball, he doesn't get much playing time in our backfield. It's not only Tevin Coleman, but Raheem Mostert too seem to get a lot of unwarranted love. All season its felt like Breida has been in the doghouse. Shanahan should be playing him at least 51% of the snaps. Breida typically comes out of the game when we reach the redzone. Interestingly, the 49ers are one of the worst offensive teams in the redzone.

I would hate to ruin team chemistry, but I kind of want to see Nick Mullens behind center. Jimmy has absolutely no field awareness.His decision making reminds me of Jameis Winston at this point. We can't keep limiting our pass plays to quick outs, screens and slants just to make Jimmy feel good.
Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Re: How much longer can we allow this? 

Post#2 » by Bald Bull » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:30 pm

Breida needs a better ratio of carries, He;s a deadly threat. Durability is the only issue, but we can't protect him THAT much. Breida is the scariest RB on the team with the ball in his hands.
Bald Bull
Veteran

Post#3 » by Bald Bull » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:57 pm

I_am_1z wrote:
I would hate to ruin team chemistry, but I kind of want to see Nick Mullens behind center. Jimmy has absolutely no field awareness.His decision making reminds me of Jameis Winston at this point. We can't keep limiting our pass plays to quick outs, screens and slants just to make Jimmy feel good.

Jimmy is no where near needing to be benched. A big reason for a lot of those quick plays is likely gameplaning for the fact that both tackles are out. some of the WTF INTs are horrible WTF reads, but jimmy isn't the majority share holder for blame on a lot of the INTS. Jimmy is pretty efficient.

Remember, he hasn't started a lot of football games. Inexperience does tend to lead to WTF Reads
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#4 » by Jikkle » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:00 pm

Jimmy does have issues he needs to clean up but he's not playing at a needs to be benched level.

He does need to clean up his accuracy because he's not hitting the spots as often as he should. Of course it's never going to be pin point accuracy on every throw but he's still off on some throws that he shouldn't be off on.

And he obviously needs to cut down on some of those terrible decisions that he seems to be good for 2 or 3 a game. According to Shanahan the INT wasn't all on Jimmy but he did have off the top of my head one or two other passes that could've been picked.

My hope is that these issues will continue to iron themselves out over the course of the year as he gets more experience and gets more reps with everyone.

But he has been good at moving the chains and the majority of the time he's fine passing the ball.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#5 » by NinerSickness » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:13 am

I_am_1z wrote:Jimmy Grapps and Kyle Shanahan are the only two liabilites of this 49er team. Personnel wise, we all know Breida is the best RB on the team. For some odd reason, despite looking like a home run threat every time he carries the ball, he doesn't get much playing time in our backfield.

Now Shannahan is a liability this season?

Really dumb using the glass RB sparingly. Where did this guy learn to coach? :crazy:
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 206

Post#6 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:36 am

NinerSickness wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:Jimmy Grapps and Kyle Shanahan are the only two liabilites of this 49er team. Personnel wise, we all know Breida is the best RB on the team. For some odd reason, despite looking like a home run threat every time he carries the ball, he doesn't get much playing time in our backfield.

Really dumb using the glass RB sparingly. Where did this guy learn to coach? :crazy:

Should fire Shanahan and rehire Tomsula.
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#7 » by I_am_1z » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:37 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:

This DL with Jim Tom? Too scary of a thought to think about.
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#8 » by I_am_1z » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:43 pm

NinerSickness wrote:

I'll give you that. Load management WAS an acceptable answer until last weekend. When you're going up against a division rival and your best RB is on the pine at full health is what I question. The momentum of the game nearly swung back to the Rams after multiple stops made by their defense in the RZ.

I know you guys have no idea how to do this, but people defend Coach Shanahan if you think I'm wrong. He's really not doing anything special.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#9 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:49 pm

I_am_1z wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:

This DL with Jim Tom? Too scary of a thought to think about.

And the offense and the rest of team right down the drain
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#10 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:11 pm

I don't necessarily agree with the overall argument here. Shanahan is a very good coordinator, even if I find his team's discipline to be lacking overall. I'll give him more time to develop into the HC role. Garoppolo gets some slack because he's coming back from the injury. It's still pretty early in the season.

Having said those things, I totally agree on Breida vs. Coleman. Coleman is an awful short yardage runner. He's way too upright and doesn't run with power and authority. At all. He's got his strengths, but I'd much rather see him getting use between the 20s where he can better use his speed and receiving ability. He's all but useless in short yardage.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#11 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:08 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:I don't necessarily agree with the overall argument here. Shanahan is a very good coordinator, even if I find his team's discipline to be lacking overall. I'll give him more time to develop into the HC role. Garoppolo gets some slack because he's coming back from the injury. It's still pretty early in the season.

Having said those things, I totally agree on Breida vs. Coleman. Coleman is an awful short yardage runner. He's way too upright and doesn't run with power and authority. At all. He's got his strengths, but I'd much rather see him getting use between the 20s where he can better use his speed and receiving ability. He's all but useless in short yardage.

I would 2nd that. I thought coming out of preseason Brieda was the better back of the two. Should be getting more of the snaps. I didn't mind seeing more of Mostert when the team is far ahead to give both Brieda and Coleman some rest and avoid injury. I like Wilson in short yardage situations.
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#12 » by I_am_1z » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:56 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:I don't necessarily agree with the overall argument here. Shanahan is a very good coordinator, even if I find his team's discipline to be lacking overall. I'll give him more time to develop into the HC role. Garoppolo gets some slack because he's coming back from the injury. It's still pretty early in the season.

Touchback
own 25 - their 30 (40 yards, should be Breida)
their 30 - their 5 (25 yards, Coleman)
their 4 - paydirt (Jeff Wilson)

I would be totally for this. Shanahan might have the best playbook in the league, but he doesn't commit to WRs other than Goodwin and he hardly uses his best running back, which is very curious. He still doesn't want to rely heavily on the run, even after Jimmy G shows again and again, the simple plays he drew up hoping to be confidence boosters are not being executed. In short, the run designs and actions are nice, but Shanahan doesn't know who to play and when to pass. I look forward to seeing the 49ers open up the playbook against a scrubby team like the Redskins. We should see if Jimmy can hit those intermediate routes, like he did in the past. Let's try to get as much rust off in one game and rely on our defense holding the Redskins to double digit total yards.
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#13 » by Dodub » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:39 am

We need to sign Mike Davis, then we’d be completely unstoppable
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#14 » by I_am_1z » Sat Dec 7, 2019 8:21 pm

This thread is looking prophetic.
Dodub
General Manager

Post#15 » by Dodub » Sat Dec 7, 2019 9:47 pm

I_am_1z wrote:This thread is looking prophetic.

You misspelled pathetic
Bald Bull
Veteran

Post#16 » by Bald Bull » Sat Dec 7, 2019 10:10 pm

if you weren't just a troll, i'd think you where the worst kind of fair weather fan on earth. your team is 10-2 only lost by a combined 6 points on last second field goals to two of the beast teams in the league, and your pathetic ass is whining cause they arent perfect. you sound stupid.
Dodub
General Manager

Post#17 » by Dodub » Mon Dec 9, 2019 2:08 am

Jimmy G and Shanahan were both terrible today. We need to scrap this whole thing and rebuild
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#18 » by CalamityX12 » Mon Dec 9, 2019 5:16 am

Kyle Shanahan is a coach of the year candidate for sure...

Jimmy played like a killer today
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#19 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Dec 9, 2019 7:08 pm

Dodub wrote:Jimmy G and Shanahan were both terrible today. We need to scrap this whole thing and rebuild

We should just bring Tomsula back. Since no one will work for him, might as well bring back Geep Chryst and Mangini. We will get the super bowl for sure.
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#20 » by I_am_1z » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:04 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
Dodub wrote:Jimmy G and Shanahan were both terrible today. We need to scrap this whole thing and rebuild

We should just bring Tomsula back. Since no one will work for him, might as well bring back Geep Chryst and Mangini. We will get the super bowl for sure.

Geep Chryst! Now there's a name I've been repressing for awhile

Return to San Francisco 49ers