ImageImageImageImageImage

Emmanuel Sanders a 49er

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Re: Emmanuel Sanders a 49er 

Post#21 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Nov 1, 2019 8:02 pm

Dodub wrote:Do folks ever stop and consider the fact that maybe they’re just wrong? I remember folks throwing similar fits this offseason because we didn’t break the bank to go after high priced (or high pick) defensive backs. They were told over and over again to let our current guys have a real chance with an actual pass rush in front of them and now look at them.

I'm not honestly sure if this is directed at people who are in favor of Sanders or against him. As someone who didn't necessarily want the team to break the bank for a DB, but definitely wanted us to draft one in the first three rounds, I would say that my concerns were largely centered around the fact that we were the worst team in coverage by a sizable margin last year, and were returning several players with pretty significant injury concerns.

Relying on Ward seemed foolhardy at best. He's been able to stay (mostly) healthy so far this season (not counting the preseason, of course), but I think think there's a better than 50% chance he gets hurt at some point. Tartt has also had his share of injury issues. Moore was still at CB at the time, so our safety depth was poor at best.

As for CB, I still think we're very thin there. Moseley has been a very pleasant surprise (his disastrous jumped route last night aside), but if anything happens to one of our other CBs before Witherspoon is back, we could be a in a real jam. And I don't know that we have a longterm replacement for Sherman (or if we do in Moseley, then we don't have a third guy on the outside).

To me, the Sanders move is almost an opposite situation. We've put a lot of resources toward the WR position in the past three years (huge contract for Garcon, decent extension for Goodwin, a couple other lower-profile FAs, two second-round picks, and a third-round pick). Giving up valuable draft capital - particularly in a year in which we already don't have our second. We may also not want to be very involved in FA as we could be looking at some comp picks this year.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#22 » by Jikkle » Fri Nov 1, 2019 8:18 pm

Well I just hope he chips off a few bucks to Shanahan and Jimmy G when he gets his new deal whether it's with us or another team because he's going to be making more money here than he would've if he was still stuck with the Broncos.

No wonder he was unhappy with the Broncos and wanted out since he was wasting away over there and costing him money.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#23 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Nov 1, 2019 8:22 pm

Jikkle wrote:Well I just hope he chips off a few bucks to Shanahan and Jimmy G when he gets his new deal whether it's with us or another team because he's going to be making more money here than he would've if he was still stuck with the Broncos.

No wonder he was unhappy with the Broncos and wanted out since he was wasting away over there and costing him money.

Yeah, and if he plays well enough, maybe we get a fourth-round comp pick when he leaves. But to get any comp picks, we'll have to limit our activity in the FA market. Hasn't been the FO's MO so far, but maybe this year will be a change.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#24 » by Samurai » Sat Nov 2, 2019 12:08 am

What is amazing is that the 22-yard pass where Sanders ran the out and Jimmy just magically put the ball in his lap as Sanders made the break is that they had never even practiced that play! Shanahan just put that play in the playbook on Tuesday to try and maximize Sanders' talents. Since this was a short week, the Niners had no full-speed practices so the first time they ever ran it was in the game! Shanahan admitted he had no idea where the ball was going to go - it was just a matter of having blind-trust between Jimmy and Sanders. As Shanahan continues to draw up new plays for his newfound toy and Jimmy and Emmanuel get more practice reps, it is very exciting to see how much better this offense can still become.
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#25 » by I_am_1z » Sat Nov 2, 2019 8:57 pm

Sanders is injury prone. Sanders still impedes the development of young guns like Deebo, Pettis, and Hurd.

Now we've given up 2 2nds and 2 3rds just to find a dependable WR.

Basically this move is only feels like a win if we can get to the NFC championship. Big picture thinking
Samurai
General Manager

Post#26 » by Samurai » Sat Nov 2, 2019 11:12 pm

I_am_1z wrote:Sanders is injury prone. Sanders still impedes the development of young guns like Deebo, Pettis, and Hurd.

Now we've given up 2 2nds and 2 3rds just to find a dependable WR.

Basically this move is only feels like a win if we can get to the NFC championship. Big picture thinking

I disagree. Sanders is not impeding Hurd's development; Hurd wouldn't be playing whether Sanders were here or in Denver. Pettis is the biggest obstacle to his own development. In fact, several members of the Niners staff have speculated that having Sanders around as a role model and mentor will actually aid in the development of our young receivers, the opposite of impeding their development.

And I'm not convinced Sanders will just be a half-year rental either. Given the development of the chemistry between he and Jimmy G, there is a decent chance the Niners will try to sign him for next year as well. Other than Taylor, who can't get healthy, no other receiver has that type of chemistry with Jimmy. Sanders seems to be enjoying the environment and culture in the clubhouse and has said before that having fun was a bigger priority at this stage of his career than money. Can't tell after only 2 games, but remember that before we signed Sanders some fans were complaining that our $137M QB was the "weak spot" on our offense. Now with Sanders, some fans are saying he seems like an elite QB. If their chemistry continues to develop the rest of this season, every effort will be made to re-sign Sanders; we would have 137 million reasons to do so.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#27 » by Samurai » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:54 am

Sanders has some cartilage damage in his ribs. He is listed as a 'game-time decision' against Arizona. Needless to say, Jimmy G was a far less productive QB after Sanders left in the first quarter last night.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#28 » by GS Warriors 1 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:01 am

Terrible that he got hurt so early, I think it's likely he would've made a huge impact on the game.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#29 » by Samurai » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:37 am

GS Warriors 1 wrote:Terrible that he got hurt so early, I think it's likely he would've made a huge impact on the game.

Yup. In the 2 drives we had with Sanders, Jimmy averaged 8.5 yards per attempt and we scored 10 points. In the 13 drives we had without Sanders, Jimmy G averaged 4.5 yards per attempt and we score a total of 6 points. It is hard to overstate how big his loss was to us on a night Kittle was also absent.
dr3am
RealGM
And1: 10,485

Post#30 » by dr3am » Sun Dec 8, 2019 11:06 pm

Stat wise just won the matchup of “who can’t be contained the most”

What a steal we got from the Broncos

Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Post#31 » by Bald Bull » Sun Dec 8, 2019 11:13 pm

dr3am wrote:Stat wise just won the matchup of “who can’t be contained the most”

What a steal we got from the Broncos

he's been such a big addition, so many clutch plays that have kept our drives alive. Him and Deebo are a damn good match.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#32 » by Samurai » Mon Dec 9, 2019 12:53 am

I am really hoping that Sanders likes it here enough that he is willing to take a team-friendly deal for next year, knowing that this team should again be a playoff contender.
Yoshi
Senior
And1: 30

Post#33 » by Yoshi » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:17 pm

I need to look at the math about the contract situation as the Niners will probably drop McKinnon. I was looking at Coleman's numbers as one could argue that Mostert, Breida, and Wilson are better, more affordable options:'

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/tevin-coleman-16797/

Anyone know if that is a team option after this season to cut ways with Coleman?

Armstead, of course, is the big name. I also hate to say this, but with Sherms starting to have injury issues, could he possibly be a casualty? Also, I hate to say this again, but players who have patellar tendon damage are quite possibly not the same after that type of injury, and one could argue that injury is worse than having an ACL (albeit the recovery time for ACL tears are longer). Richbury may never be the same kind of player and the Niners have a team option after the 2020 season, when they need to resign DeFo and Kittles to long term extensions.
We're bringing the Axe back home to where it belongs! What do you see? UC Berkeley Fan of the SF Giants, 49ers, Warriors, Alabama Crimson Tide, Cal Bears, La Furia Roja, Three Lions, FC Barcelona, Arsenal FC, & the NZ All Blacks Rugby Team.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#34 » by Jikkle » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:11 pm

Yoshi wrote:I need to look at the math about the contract situation as the Niners will probably drop McKinnon. I was looking at Coleman's numbers as one could argue that Mostert, Breida, and Wilson are better, more affordable options:'

Anyone know if that is a team option after this season to cut ways with Coleman?

Armstead, of course, is the big name. I also hate to say this, but with Sherms starting to have injury issues, could he possibly be a casualty? Also, I hate to say this again, but players who have patellar tendon damage are quite possibly not the same after that type of injury, and one could argue that injury is worse than having an ACL (albeit the recovery time for ACL tears are longer). Richbury may never be the same kind of player and the Niners have a team option after the 2020 season, when they need to resign DeFo and Kittles to long term extensions.

Goodwin almost certainly will be cut so you can factor that in.

Coleman's fate will probably be determined by McKinnon's fate. McKinnon will depend on how he recovers from his knee issues because Shanahan still wants a dual threat RB and it seems he doesn't see Mostert and Breida as those kind of guys.

Sherman is still making reasonable money and they love his leadership so I can't see him being cut.

Richburg I tend to doubt but depends on what's on the FA market. Center is pretty critical for Shanahan so I'd be surprised if he throws a rookie in there. Alex Mack is probably going to be a cap casualty from the Falcons so he's one to keep an eye on.
Yoshi
Senior
And1: 30

Post#35 » by Yoshi » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:24 pm

Jikkle wrote:
Yoshi wrote:I need to look at the math about the contract situation as the Niners will probably drop McKinnon. I was looking at Coleman's numbers as one could argue that Mostert, Breida, and Wilson are better, more affordable options:'

Goodwin almost certainly will be cut so you can factor that in.

Coleman's fate will probably be determined by McKinnon's fate. McKinnon will depend on how he recovers from his knee issues because Shanahan still wants a dual threat RB and it seems he doesn't see Mostert and Breida as those kind of guys.

Sherman is still making reasonable money and they love his leadership so I can't see him being cut.

Richburg I tend to doubt but depends on what's on the FA market. Center is pretty critical for Shanahan so I'd be surprised if he throws a rookie in there. Alex Mack is probably going to be a cap casualty from the Falcons so he's one to keep an eye on.

Honestly I'd be highly surprised if the Niners bring back Jet McKinnon - his injuries to his lower extremities are mounting and I'd be really shocked if he returns for round 3 - there are players at other positions that are worth bringing back more than Jet and I'm pretty sure Maraathe, Lynch, and Shannahan are aware of this. Medically, it wouldn't make sense for the Niners to bring him back as well.

Yeah, I threw out the Sherman thing as I do not expect him to take a paycut with this probably being his last substantial contract.

Richburg is a tricky one but I'm banking on the Niners addressing their OL depth in the draft this year, despite Brunskill and Skule rilling in admirably for Staley/McGlinchey.
We're bringing the Axe back home to where it belongs! What do you see? UC Berkeley Fan of the SF Giants, 49ers, Warriors, Alabama Crimson Tide, Cal Bears, La Furia Roja, Three Lions, FC Barcelona, Arsenal FC, & the NZ All Blacks Rugby Team.
Bald Bull
Veteran

Post#36 » by Bald Bull » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:42 pm

btw sanu hasn't done much of anything for pats, while sanders has been huge for us...

glad we didn't settle for sanu just because he played with kyle before.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#37 » by Jikkle » Fri Jan 3, 2020 3:52 am

I'd say regardless of what happens here on out the Sanders trade paid off.

He's been productive and I don't think we get the 1st seed if he's not on the team and without that 1st seed and more importantly the bye week because I think the chances of them going to the SB from the 5th spot weren't great.

So he's been pretty much what you want in a trade and that's noticeably increasing your odds of winning a championship.
Bald Bull
Veteran

Post#38 » by Bald Bull » Sun Jan 5, 2020 4:43 am

very happy we didn't get Sanu.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,201

Post#39 » by wco81 » Sun Jan 5, 2020 5:19 am

Sanders so far has had some good games but must be a decoy a lot of the times.

Not sure his production with the 49ers has been enough to warrant a big contract.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#40 » by Samurai » Sun Jan 5, 2020 6:14 pm

wco81 wrote:Sanders so far has had some good games but must be a decoy a lot of the times.

Not sure his production with the 49ers has been enough to warrant a big contract.

Yup, his value as a decoy has been very underrated. Classic example of this is the week 12 win over the Packers; Sanders played 70% of the snaps but only had one catch. To the casual fan, it would seem like a poor performance. But when you re-watch that game, one of the things that stands out is that Sanders drew so much attention that it pulled a safety out of the box, giving us more opportunities to run and leaving Kittle to be frequently defended by linebackers - spell that MISTAKE. Many people don't see or appreciate his value as a decoy to this offense, which relies very heavily on misdirection plays.

Return to San Francisco 49ers