NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Re: GDT: 49ERS VS VIKINGS 

Post#481 » by NinerSickness » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:47 am

wco81 wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:
Swift21 wrote:

Actually he has or else he wouldn't be in this position.

He hasn’t sucked like a bust who can’t play. Other guys have outperformed, but I don’t see Pettis as a guy who lacks the talent to be a #2 or 3 WR.

But what does it say that Bourne gets the snaps and also important targets, like in the red zone?

That's a good point. Bourne is a better WR right now. He's a serviceable #3. Pettis isn't even that at this point, but I don't think it's because he can't play.

Now his problems might not be fixable. I never liked the guy from day 1 (I wanted Goedert). But he does seem like a guy who at least has the talent & potential to develop into a Brandon Lloyd (minus the amazing hands).
michaelwarner
Junior
And1: 42

Post#482 » by michaelwarner » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:27 pm

arich35 wrote:Are you guys counting Richburg's contract being redone? I could see others be restructured and guys being cut in order to keep Armstead and Sanders while setting themselves up to resign Kittle and Buckner. You also have Jimmie Ward but I have a feeling he will end up walking.

I brought this up in the Solly Thread but both OTC and SPOTRAC have us at 16mil, which includes the Richburg redo. Cutting Goodwin and McKinnon get us close to 24mil.

The only thing that can give us the cap room for all-AA, Sanders, Jimmy, and extensions for Kittle and DeFo is a Jimmy and Kwon restructure.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#483 » by NinerSickness » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:35 pm

michaelwarner wrote:
arich35 wrote:Are you guys counting Richburg's contract being redone? I could see others be restructured and guys being cut in order to keep Armstead and Sanders while setting themselves up to resign Kittle and Buckner. You also have Jimmie Ward but I have a feeling he will end up walking.

I brought this up in the Solly Thread but both OTC and SPOTRAC have us at 16mil, which includes the Richburg redo. Cutting Goodwin and McKinnon get us close to 24mil.

The only thing that can give us the cap room for all-AA, Sanders, Jimmy, and extensions for Kittle and DeFo is a Jimmy and Kwon restructure.

That's why they need to just franchise AA & back-load some of that Kittle money; I'm assuming he'll sit out if he doesn't get a new contract (I would).

Buckner, on the other hand, is making 14 million next year, so I think he's good to go for another year.

Also, I don't see any reason they shouldn't just cut Kwon. He's been great, but why spend 12 million on a guy when a rookie is playing great (Greenlaw)? What would hurt more? Losing Kwon or losing Sanders? I think it's Sanders.
ClutchUp
Junior
And1: 121

Post#484 » by ClutchUp » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:15 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
wco81 wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:
He hasn’t sucked like a bust who can’t play. Other guys have outperformed, but I don’t see Pettis as a guy who lacks the talent to be a #2 or 3 WR.

But what does it say that Bourne gets the snaps and also important targets, like in the red zone?

That's a good point. Bourne is a better WR right now. He's a serviceable #3. Pettis isn't even that at this point, but I don't think it's because he can't play.

Now his problems might not be fixable. I never liked the guy from day 1 (I wanted Goedert). But he does seem like a guy who at least has the talent & potential to develop into a Brandon Lloyd (minus the amazing hands).

I wouldn't give up on him because it's just year two. But he has his work cut out for him this offseason. Especially with Hurd and Taylor back in the mix next season.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#485 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:32 pm

ClutchUp wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:
wco81 wrote:

I wouldn't give up on him because it's just year two. But he has his work cut out for him this offseason. Especially with Hurd and Taylor back in the mix next season.

Pettis has a chance to be a better receiver than Bourne. He could even end up becoming a descent / good #2 receiver. His hands isn’t even the main issue, the reason why I believe he drops some catchable passes is simply because he’s soft. He’s in the mold of Emmanuel Sanders in terms of build / route running etc. However, he’s not tough enough and allows defenders to bully him for balls / contested catches. Sanders has an uncanny ability to brace himself when catching the ball in traffic—and then take the big hits. However Pettis seems to never win those type of battles when defenders are draping over him. He just needs to find other approaches to winning a battle when his crips route running is not enough in itself. Toughness is what he lacks in which Sanders possesses. He drops a lot of passes because he isn’t tough, so IMO it’s really not a hands issue per se.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#486 » by NinerSickness » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:47 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:Pettis has a chance to be a better receiver than Bourne. He could even end up becoming a descent / good #2 receiver. His hands isn’t even the main issue, the reason why I believe he drops some catchable passes is simply because he’s soft. He’s in the mold of Emmanuel Sanders in terms of build / route running etc. However, he’s not tough enough and allows defenders to bully him for balls / contested catches. Sanders has an uncanny ability to brace himself when catching the ball in traffic—and then take the big hits. However Pettis seems to never win those type of battles when defenders are draping over him. He just needs to find other approaches to winning a battle when his crips route running is not enough in itself. Toughness is what he lacks in which Sanders possesses. He drops a lot of passes because he isn’t tough, so IMO it’s really not a hands issue per se.

Totally agree on the toughness. However, even on his best day, Pettis' hands aren't as good as Brandon Lloyd's. That dude made some of the most amazing catches the NFL has ever seen. That's what I mean by, "Minus the amazing hands."
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#487 » by NinerSickness » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:06 am

Bald Bull wrote::lift:

X

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#488 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:03 pm

thesack12 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
thesack12 wrote:Sanders being a soon to be free agent is well known, Bourne will also be a free agent, granted a restricted one. But there is still a chance he doesn't return.

A WR corps of Samuel/Hurd/Pettis/Taylor/James isn't going to cut it for a team that looks to be legit challengers for the Lombardi trophy again next season.

Unless his contract just approaches crazy numbers, I think bringing Sanders back has to be a very high priority. Especially considering the lack of available draft picks which limits getting WR help in the draft or via trade. The crop of other free agent WR's isn't exactly inspiring either.

Make Sanders new contract a 1 year deal with a high salary to get him his amount of shear dollars and re-evaluate in 2021. Or backload it on a 3 year deal or so, to fit in an Armstead franchise tag and re-evaluate Armstead in 2021.

The Niners very rapidly went from having among the most cap space in the league to among the least. They have about $16 million as it stands right now. Only six teams have less. If we franchise Armstead - and I don't think we can afford to sign him long-term - he'll cost about $15.5 million. We need to extend Kittle, who will be a FA after the 2020 season. Buckner we've got for his fifth-year option, so there's a little less pressure there, but we need to start thinking about re-signing him. We can free up some space by cutting Goodwin and McKinnon (which sucks given how much we paid him for literally no on-field contribution), but those savings have to go toward locking up our young guys. I just don't see how we can also pay Sanders at this time. It could be I'm wrong, but even an inexpensive one-year deal for him will probably run $8 million at a minimum.

Oh, and that figure for Armstead is if he's considered a DT. There's a very good chance he'll be considered a DE, in which case his cap hit would be $19 million.

For me, if it comes down to an either or type situation, I would take Sanders over Armstead. I just think that subtracting Sanders would hurt his position group more so than subtracting Armstead from his position group.

Without Sanders in the fold, Samuel would be the only semi proven WR left. And obviously he is still very young and not ready to be a legit #1. (For that matter Sanders isn't even a legit #1.) While Sanders' numbers don't jump off the page, his presence alone is a benefit, if for no other reason Defenses have to respect and pay attention to him leading to things opening up for the other guys. Sanders is also pretty damn clutch, and has tons of experience in big time situations. We also can't forget that we have a still developing Jimmy G at QB. Subtracting his 2nd best weapon isn't going to make things any easier for him. Hurd is still a complete question mark, do we really want to see 3 WR sets of Samuel/Pettis/Taylor?... No thanks

As for Armstead, while his pass rushing prowess might be tough to replace I think overall his impact can be more easily replaced with some combination of Thomas/Jones/Taylor/Street and hopefully a cheaply resigned Blair. Now obviously Armstead's ceiling is higher than the guys on that list, and he possesses a different skillset than some of those guys as well, still I like the available Armstead alternatives better than the available Sanders alternatives. If Ford can stay healthy next season, that would obviously help as well.

Also, this is really the first time in Armstead's career that he has flashed as being actually good. How much of that has to do with him being in a contract year? He wouldn't be the first guy to underwhelm his first few years, then blow up in his contract year, then regress to the mean after getting paid. Also, how does playing alongside a few stud DLineman factor into the Armstead equation? If its any type of determining factor at all (which it obviously is), it furthers my belief that Frisco can get some solid production out of those guys I mentioned earlier in place of Armstead. Those guys are going to benefit in the same ways that Armstead has.

Wanted to get to this last week, but didn't get a chance. I may move this to the offseason thread, too, as it probably fits better there.

Subtracting Sanders from WR would hurt more than subtracting Armstead from the DL. But the DL is the strength of this team right now and we should prioritize preserving it. It is MUCH better than the WR group, so despite the impact on the position group being less, it could well have a bigger impact on the team overall.

We have a relatively small window where we are at the pinnacle of talent in the league. We can continue to compete as the talent begins to fall off, but we'll need two things: 1) Garoppolo to step up and play like a franchise QB, and 2) less expensive players to come in and perform. We've actually gotten quite a bit of the latter this year (Moseley, RBs not named McKinnon or Coleman, Kittle of course, Brunskill). The former is still kind of hit or miss. But those are concerns for the future. In the immediate present (after the SB, anyway), we need to figure out how to keep this team together as long as possible. We should be able to manage the cap for one more year to more or less retain this talented squad. But hard decisions have to be made. We can't keep everyone.

In my view, our priority has to be keeping this defense together (and retaining Kittle, of course). Part of that is because I have great faith in Shanahan to get the most out of his offensive pieces. And part is because this DL is special as it's playing now. You're right to have some questions about Armstead's ability given his limited track record, but I disagree that he's only blown up this year. He was very good in spurts earlier in his career, he just kept getting injured. He was raw coming out, and has developed about as well as we could have hoped. But we're not banking on him long-term anyway. We're signing him to a one-year deal and then letting him walk. There's limited risk for the team, and he'll be motivated to keep playing hard. If a team wants to offer a trade for him, I strongly consider it, but I'm keeping the 26-year-old DL over the 33-year-old (in March) WR every time.

It comes down to a question of money. Sanders made $11 million this year. Is he going to take a paycut after we traded to get him? I doubt it. He's on the older side, so he's going to want more than a one-year deal if he can get it. I'm not willing to pay him.
If he somehow doesn't get signed in FA and we can come back around and get him for $5 million, by all means do it. But I can't justify $10+ million on him given our situation.

For the record, I am not endorsing extending Armstead. I don't think we can. I think we try to keep him for one more year, or net some solid trade compensation for losing him, and we try to keep Buckner and Bosa longterm.

Return to San Francisco 49ers