ImageImageImageImageImage

Super Bowl LIV Hype Thread!!!

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Re: Super Bowl LIV Hype Thread!!! 

Post#41 » by Catchall » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:02 am

Pundits with short-term memory seem to be suggesting that because the Niners relied on the run vs. the Packers last week that they're somehow overly dependent on the run and unable to run up a score using their passing game. Jimmy has moved the ball well all season, and there's no reason to believe that the Niners can't put up 30+ points using a balanced attack. The KC defense is a bit above middle-of-the-pack.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#42 » by NinerSickness » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:23 am

Catchall wrote:Pundits with short-term memory seem to be suggesting that because the Niners relied on the run vs. the Packers last week that they're somehow overly dependent on the run and unable to run up a score using their passing game. Jimmy has moved the ball well all season, and there's no reason to believe that the Niners can't put up 30+ points using a balanced attack. The KC defense is a bit above middle-of-the-pack.

This. The Niners are gonna s**t all over the Chiefs just like they did the Packers & Vikings.

The Saints, Ravens & Seahawks worried me a little bit. Chiefs aren't any better than the Packers.

Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Post#43 » by Bald Bull » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:35 am

this is actually really impressive. :o
Read on Twitter
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#44 » by Ray_Dogg » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:42 pm

Just look at the Saints game. We played on the road without Tartt, Ford and Kwon. Brees put up 349 yards and 5 TDs. Jimmy G put up 349 yards and 4 TDs. I like the Saints defense more than the Chiefs. I just don't see any way that Mahomes bests those numbers against our D with Tartt, Ford and Kwon now. I think our defense is ferocious and can limit the Chiefs offense. I think we overwhelm the Chiefs defense with whatever we choose to do on offense.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,251

Post#45 » by wco81 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:59 pm

The best thing which can be said is that when a top 2 defense -- 49ers apparently ended up #2 in the league in yards allowed -- meets a top offense in the SB, most of the time the defense has prevailed.

One example cited is when Denver beat Carolina and the Panthers seemed unstoppable in Newton's MVP year.

But a counter example would be that the 49ers defense allowed 19-20 points a game but in 5 games against mobile QBs -- Arizona and Seattle twice, Baltimore -- they allowed over 24 points a game.

But this defense is in better shape than the defense that went into the SB against the Ravens. I forget the first playoffs game but in the NFC Championship game, they couldn't stop the Falcons until that last goal line stand which preserved the win there. The saving grace was the 49ers were able to get a lot of explosive plays to keep scoring in that game and come back in the SB -- lot of production between the 20 yard lines but in the red zone, it was a struggle. But the defense gave up too many easy scores to the Falcons and even Flacco was making plays outside the pocket. That and a KR TD hurt.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#46 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:59 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
Catchall wrote:Pundits with short-term memory seem to be suggesting that because the Niners relied on the run vs. the Packers last week that they're somehow overly dependent on the run and unable to run up a score using their passing game. Jimmy has moved the ball well all season, and there's no reason to believe that the Niners can't put up 30+ points using a balanced attack. The KC defense is a bit above middle-of-the-pack.

This. The Niners are gonna s**t all over the Chiefs just like they did the Packers & Vikings.

The Saints, Ravens & Seahawks worried me a little bit. Chiefs aren't any better than the Packers.

The Chiefs offense is WAY more explosive than the Packers' when they're clicking, which they have been lately. It's hard to look at season-long stats/rankings to accurately project the Chiefs. Mahomes missed two games and took a while to get back into things. Hill also had a couple injuries that either caused him to miss games or hampered him. Both of those guys appear to be healthy now. Their defense has also been playing much better over the back half of the season - though other than Houston and Tennessee, they faced a laundry list of bad offenses (Chargers twice, Raiders, Bears, Pats, Broncos).

We can't take anything at all for granted. We arguably have the strongest roster in the league, but we still have holes. Our passing game can be awfully unreliable, and our D has been shaky at times when we're not getting pressure. We've also been hurt repeatedly by mobile QBs. I'm not expecting a blowout, and if it starts looking like one, we may need to worry about a crazy Chiefs comeback.

One thing worth noting is that the Chiefs really struggled specifically against RBs in the passing game. They were worst in the league with 59.4 YPG receiving to RBs, and allowed a receiving TD every three games on average. Houston and Tennessee aren't exactly teams that pass heavily to the RB. Both of them have primary backs who are virtually useless as receivers in Hyde (10 receptions on the season) and Henry (18). That said, we haven't really used RBs as receiving threats much this year, either (14 receptions to Mostert on the year, 57 to RBs in general).
dr3am
RealGM
And1: 10,485

Post#47 » by dr3am » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:23 pm

Samurai wrote:
dr3am wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

:pray: I love those jerseys & it'll be fitting... It was good luck going into a place we barely win at in Seattle so it will be fitting to wear them in Miami after a 25 year drought.

Sounds like permission was denied. We will be wearing the traditional away uniform (white jersey, gold pants).

:-? That’s lame
dr3am
RealGM

Post#48 » by dr3am » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:25 pm

Chiefs only real advantage is Mahomes & Hill... Kelce & Kittle are really a wash but I’ll take Kittle coz he’s a more complete TE.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#49 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:33 pm

dr3am wrote:Chiefs only real advantage is Mahomes & Hill... Kelce & Kittle are really a wash but I’ll take Kittle coz he’s a more complete TE.

Their OL is arguably better, too. They are good pass blockers and poor run blockers, which fits well with their scheme. Even discounting that, though, having the better QB and WR is a lot in today's NFL. If that offense gets going, I don't know that the Niners can keep up with it. The D will have to bring its a-game.
Bald Bull
Veteran

Post#50 » by Bald Bull » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:21 am

Even if they have a better QB and WR, we still scored the 2nd most points in the league, let's not sell ourselves short. Jimmy might not have highlight reel over the shoulder blind folded passes, but we run a damn efficient offense ourselves!

If Jimmy limits the WTF plays we are good, even if he makes one it's not the end of the world, he bounces back strong. He leads scoring drives as consistently as you can hope for. Good enough to score the 2nd most points in the NFL. He's went blow for blow with Brees when he had to. Other then the Washington Monsoon game, how often have you felt like our offense wasn't functioning and running smooth? It's not often. I haven't checked, but three and outs gotta be among the lowest in the NFL.

The gap between Mahomes and Jimmy is being exaggerated as far as their play this season. They basically threw the same number of balls, Mahomes threw 8 more attempts than Jimmy, and in those attempts their averages are pretty damn close, across the board.

Mahomes main advantage is mobility, and "how did he pull that out of his ass" ability, but what he's doing with his pass attempts isn't statistically worlds apart from Jimmy, at least not this year. Jimmy has more INTs but we know how many of Jimmy's INTs where tipped in the air. We know how many TDs Jimmy had called back. Jimmy moves the ball consistently, and consistently leads scoring drives.

Teams have been saying they are going to stop our run and force jimmy to pass all season, how many have stopped the run though? I'm not sure the 26th rank run D has the best chance, regardless what they did with Henry, How much of that is because he was worn out? Stopping the Shanny's and Bobby Turner's running game is easier said then done.

Our offense is every bit as fast as the chiefs as well.

Plus Jimmy is cuter!
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#51 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:11 am

Bald Bull wrote:Even if they have a better QB and WR, we still scored the 2nd most points in the league, let's not sell ourselves short. Jimmy might not have highlight reel over the shoulder blind folded passes, but we run a damn efficient offense ourselves!

If Jimmy limits the WTF plays we are good, even if he makes one it's not the end of the world, he bounces back strong. He leads scoring drives as consistently as you can hope for. Good enough to score the 2nd most points in the NFL. He's went blow for blow with Brees when he had to. Other then the Washington Monsoon game, how often have you felt like our offense wasn't functioning and running smooth? It's not often. I haven't checked, but three and outs gotta be among the lowest in the NFL.

The gap between Mahomes and Jimmy is being exaggerated as far as their play this season. They basically threw the same number of balls, Mahomes threw 8 more attempts than Jimmy, and in those attempts their averages are pretty damn close, across the board.

Mahomes main advantage is mobility, and "how did he pull that out of his ass" ability, but what he's doing with his pass attempts isn't statistically worlds apart from Jimmy, at least not this year. Jimmy has worse INTs but we know how many of Jimmy's INTs where tipped in the air. We know how many TDs Jimmy had called back. Jimmy moves the ball consistently, and consistently leads scoring drives.

Teams have been saying they are going to stop our run and force jimmy to pass all season, how many have stopped the run though? I'm not sure the 26th rank run D has the best chance, regardless what they did with Henry, How much of that is because he was worn out? Stopping the Shanny's and Bobby Turner's running game is easier said then done.

Our offense is every bit as fast as the chiefs as well.

Plus Jimmy is cuter!

Jimmy is definitely cuter. We may disagree on a number of other things, though. When have I worried about the Niners' offense? Baltimore, though there were some weather issues in that one. Definitely the first Seattle game, though we didn't have Kittle. Against Atlanta. When has the running game struggled? Oddly enough, against Arizona and their bad rushing D. Both games against Seattle. It was only okay against Atlanta. The offense has generally been good, but there have been times when it has stalled out. If that happens too much in this one, we're in trouble.

Mahomes missed two games and played injured. He's clearly a more physically talented QB than Garoppolo, and it's not just his mobility and crazy throws. He is an incredibly talented passer, and routinely makes throws that Garoppolo can't. And yes, we know how many of Garoppolo's INTs were tipped. We - or at least I - don't know how many of Mahomes' were, but he only threw five. I also know, at least generally, how many balls Garoppolo threw right to defenders that were dropped. I can't speak to that for Mahomes, but for Garoppolo, it's concerning. He could have easily had five or six more INTs. And Mahomes has been lights out in the playoffs, throwing for eight TDs and no INTs. I won't knock Garoppolo for his playoff stats given how we've won, but Mahomes is playing more like the 2018 version than the 2019 version. Yes, we have a better defense than the Titans or Texans, but we're still vulnerable to an offense like the Chiefs'.

And our offense isn't nearly as fast as the Chiefs, at least where it counts. We've got speed, but a lot of it is concentrated at the RB position (Mostert, Coleman, and Breida all 4.38-39; 93rd precentile), where it is harder to utilize than at WR. Not to mention KC also has speed at RB, where Damien Williams ran 4.45 (83%). Kittle is very fast for a TE (4.52, 94th percentile), but he's not elite relative to other positions and Kelce is also relatively fast for the position (4.61, 87th percentile). Our WRs have solid speed, but with Goodwin out, we don't have a true burner. Sanders ran a 4.41 (87%), but is likely slower now at 32. Samuel ran a 4.48 (64%). Bourne ran a slow 4.68 (5%). For the Chiefs, Hill ran a 4.29 (98%) and Hardman ran a 4.33 (95%). Watkins ran a 4.43 (76%). that speed at the WR position - combined with a QB who excels throwing deep - allows them to threaten from anywhere on the field in a way that we simply cannot match.

I like our chances fine in this one, but I'm worried about their offense, and I think anyone who isn't is a fool.
Bald Bull
Veteran

Post#52 » by Bald Bull » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:28 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Jimmy is definitely cuter. We may disagree on a number of other things, though. When have I worried about the Niners' offense? Baltimore, though there were some weather issues in that one. Definitely the first Seattle game, though we didn't have Kittle. Against Atlanta. When has the running game struggled? Oddly enough, against Arizona and their bad rushing D. Both games against Seattle. It was only okay against Atlanta. The offense has generally been good, but there have been times when it has stalled out. If that happens too much in this one, we're in trouble.

Mahomes missed two games and played injured. He's clearly a more physically talented QB than Garoppolo, and it's not just his mobility and crazy throws. He is an incredibly talented passer, and routinely makes throws that Garoppolo can't. And yes, we know how many of Garoppolo's INTs were tipped. We - or at least I - don't know how many of Mahomes' were, but he only threw five. I also know, at least generally, how many balls Garoppolo threw right to defenders that were dropped. I can't speak to that for Mahomes, but for Garoppolo, it's concerning. He could have easily had five or six more INTs. And Mahomes has been lights out in the playoffs, throwing for eight TDs and no INTs. I won't knock Garoppolo for his playoff stats given how we've won, but Mahomes is playing more like the 2018 version than the 2019 version. Yes, we have a better defense than the Titans or Texans, but we're still vulnerable to an offense like the Chiefs'.

And our offense isn't nearly as fast as the Chiefs, at least where it counts. We've got speed, but a lot of it is concentrated at the RB position (Mostert, Coleman, and Breida all 4.38-39; 93rd precentile), where it is harder to utilize than at WR. Not to mention KC also has speed at RB, where Damien Williams ran 4.45 (83%). Kittle is very fast for a TE (4.52, 94th percentile), but he's not elite relative to other positions and Kelce is also relatively fast for the position (4.61, 87th percentile). Our WRs have solid speed, but with Goodwin out, we don't have a true burner. Sanders ran a 4.41 (87%), but is likely slower now at 32. Samuel ran a 4.48 (64%). Bourne ran a slow 4.68 (5%). For the Chiefs, Hill ran a 4.29 (98%) and Hardman ran a 4.33 (95%). Watkins ran a 4.43 (76%). that speed at the WR position - combined with a QB who excels throwing deep - allows them to threaten from anywhere on the field in a way that we simply cannot match.

I like our chances fine in this one, but I'm worried about their offense, and I think anyone who isn't is a fool.

Of course their offense worries me, I'm just saying not to sell ourselves short.

yes mahomes has been lights out in the playoffs, but he was also against two of the worst pass defenses in the NFL (24th and 29th. Let's give ourselves some credit, our pass D gave up the least yards per game in the NFL. We played some great QBs and came out with wins.

Don't underestimate what our run game can do for us in terms of time of possession either. To win we need to keep the ball out of mahomes hands. 49ers had the 3rd best TOP in the NFL, chiefs are 11th. Niners have 2nd best running offense, Chiefs have the 26th ranked run D. It's not going to be mahomes vs Jimmy, player vs player, its team vs team and how they produce as a unit, and we have match ups that go in our favor.

Since I mentioned the 24th and 29th ranked pass Ds, i wanted to see how Jimmy and Mahomes performed against top 10 Pass Defenses based on yards per game allowed. Mahomes played more top 10 teams than Jimmy, and averages i included should obviously be taken with a grain of salt, all things considered. but just for the hell of it i wanted to see what it looked like. The Ravens game stands out for Mahomes, the others aren't something we can't survive If our pass D plays to its number 1 rank potential.

NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#53 » by NinerSickness » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:25 am

Bald Bull wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

Of course their offense worries me, I'm just saying not to sell ourselves short.

yes mahomes has been lights out in the playoffs, but he was also against two of the worst pass defenses in the NFL (24th and 29th. Let's give ourselves some credit, our pass D gave up the least yards per game in the NFL. We played some great QBs and came out with wins.

Don't underestimate what our run game can do for us in terms of time of possession either. To win we need to keep the ball out of mahomes hands. 49ers had the 3rd best TOP in the NFL, chiefs are 11th. Niners have 2nd best running offense, Chiefs have the 26th ranked run D. It's not going to be mahomes vs Jimmy, player vs player, its team vs team and how they produce as a unit, and we have match ups that go in our favor.

Since I mentioned the 24th and 29th ranked pass Ds, i wanted to see how Jimmy and Mahomes performed against top 10 Pass Defenses based on yards per game allowed. Mahomes played more top 10 teams than Jimmy, and averages i included should obviously be taken with a grain of salt, all things considered. but just for the hell of it i wanted to see what it looked like. The Ravens game stands out for Mahomes, the others aren't something we can't survive If our pass D plays to its number 1 rank potential.

That’s great stuff, X. The Chiefs & their chokey head coach are f**ked. Niners win by double digits!
Bald Bull
Veteran

Post#54 » by Bald Bull » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:20 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
That’s great stuff, X. The Chiefs & their chokey head coach are f**ked. Niners win by double digits!

I hope so, my heart can't take a nail biter against Mahomes.
Bald Bull
Veteran

Post#55 » by Bald Bull » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:38 pm

:lift:
Read on Twitter
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#56 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:15 pm

Hate to say it, but if Coleman was healthy against the Packers, I think we only run for 185-odd yards. He had a good game against the Vikings, but he's still our third-best RB IMO.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#57 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:21 pm

Greenlaw is full go. That's great to hear. Alexander in a no-contact jersey, which I think is consistent with how he's been handled lately. Tartt also in a no-contact jersey. That's something to monitor. We definitely need Tartt out there. The back end of this D looked shaky without him, particularly against TEs.
dr3am
RealGM

Post#58 » by dr3am » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:41 pm

Tartt has a whole week left to get ready, he’ll be good...

As far as the Chiefs OL being overall better than us I’m sorry but I don’t see it. Yes they have a better line for passing while we have a better line for running... with that being said a lot of people are sleeping on the scheme’s by Kyle... Jimmy only through a total of 8 times in the NFC championship game & we still blowed Green Bay out, incredible.

I’m definitely not sold on the Jimmy G train but let’s not forget this was the same guy who played very well in a flat out shootout in NO... Yeah Mahomes is better at this stage of their careers but Brees is still a first ballet hall of Famer who had another great season minus that Wild Card game.
Bald Bull
Veteran

Post#59 » by Bald Bull » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:58 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Hate to say it, but if Coleman was healthy against the Packers, I think we only run for 185-odd yards. He had a good game against the Vikings, but he's still our third-best RB IMO.

agree, but we'll need him to keep the rotation fresh.
Bald Bull
Veteran

Post#60 » by Bald Bull » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:00 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to San Francisco 49ers