Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

2020 NFL ROOKIES 

Post#1 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:25 pm

TEE HIGGINS
WR, CINCINNATI BENGALS

The Athletic's Jay Morrison expects second-round rookie Tee Higgins to open the year in Cincinnati's starting lineup.

"Even with a truncated offseason limiting how quickly Higgins can get up to speed, I fully expect the rookie second-round pick to be in the starting lineup when the season opens," Morrison writes. The first pick of Day 2, Higgins (6'4/216) joined A.J. Green, Tyler Boyd, John Ross, and Auden Tate among a clustered depth chart. 24-year-old Ross would be the odd man out in this scenario after joining the team as the No. 9 overall pick in 2017. The Bengals did reportedly shop Ross last offseason, but there's no denying his lid-lifting 4.22 40-time is still a trait that no other receiver brings to the table, Higgins included. We would expect coach Zac Taylor find a limited role for Ross as an explosive boom-or-bust option this upcoming year (assuming he sticks on their roster).
SOURCE: Jay Morrison on Twitter

Apr 28, 2020, 10:00 AM ET
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Re: 2020 NFL ROOKIES 

Post#2 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:27 pm

CHASE CLAYPOOL
WR, PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Steelers OC Randy Fichtner "anticipates" second-round rookie WR Chase Claypool playing primarily out wide.

Claypool (6'4/238) hauled in 16 catches 20-plus yards downfield in his breakout senior season but was pigeonholed as a tight end at the next level due to his massive frame. Fichtner squashed that sentiment quickly, confirming Claypool would play wideout with some slot sprinkled in. The 21-year-old logged just 106 snaps (a three-year low) from the middle of the field in his final season with the Fighting Irish but could still be shifted there in the red zone to leverage his size. In the meantime, his 4.42 40 and 40.5-inch vertical give him a leg up on James Washington as a downfield boundary threat. This is also a terrific development for JuJu Smith-Schuster, who is just one season removed from averaging 1.93 yards per route run from the slot before disappointing in his injury-riddled third year with below-average play under center.
SOURCE: Brooke Pryor on Twitter

Apr 28, 2020, 11:51 AM ET
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#3 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:42 pm

ISAIAH SIMMONS
LB, ARIZONA CARDINALS

Cardinals DC Vance Joseph does not expect No. 8 overall pick Isaiah Simmons to spend much time at cornerback or safety.

Simmons enters the league with a unique, hybrid skill-set, but the Cardinals want him to focus on his primary position of linebacker. The Cardinals have a thing for 'tweeners, but they realize Simmons would be best served by focusing on one spot. Simmons' position confusion undoubtedly caused some teams to stay away, while NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported before the draft he was viewed primarily as a safety. It could be a rocky rookie year for both player and team, though there is no question Simmons is a special athlete.
SOURCE: Josh Weinfuss on Twitter

Apr 28, 2020, 5:30 PM ET
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#4 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:44 pm

LYNN BOWDEN
RB, LAS VEGAS RAIDERS

The Raiders have officially listed No. 80 overall pick Lynn Bowden as a running back.

The Raiders announced the hybrid as such, and GM Mike Mayock has since confirmed it. One of the most unique prospects in recent memory, 5-foot-11, 204-pound Bowden actually served as Kentucky's starting quarterback for the final eight games of 2019 after the Wildcats' first- and second-stringers went down with injury. Bowden was created in a Taysom Hill-laboratory, though he would provide immensely more fantasy value if he was given receiver, or even quarterback, eligibility. At running back, his touches figure to be too unpredictable and sporadic to make him a weekly re-draft option as a rookie.
SOURCE: Evan Silva on Twitter

Apr 28, 2020, 3:51 PM ET
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#5 » by I_am_1z » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:57 pm

Cam Akers and this fellow, both, on the Rams
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#6 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:41 pm

MICHAEL PITTMAN
WR, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Colts GM Chris Ballard and coach Frank Reich compared No. 34 overall pick WR Michael Pittman to ex-Chargers WR Vincent Jackson.

In a video released by the team of the Colts' virtual draft setup on Zoom, Ballard, Reich, and the scouts were all raving about Pittman. "From the first time I watched him, I've loved him," Reich said. "I'm not sure he's not the best receiver in this draft. He can have a big impact in year one." When questioned by owner Jim Irsay, Ballard threw out the Jackson comp, and Reich agreed. That should be music to Philip Rivers' ears, as he loves the big, tall wideouts who can win down the field. And Pittman fits the bill at 6'4/223 with 4.52 wheels and physicality to win the contested catches. Dating back to Jackson, Rivers has thrown it up to those types, and it was Mike Williams most recently. Pittman is a pretty decent bet to lead the Colts in touchdown catches in 2020.
SOURCE: Colts on Youtube

Apr 29, 2020, 11:20 PM ET
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#7 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri May 1, 2020 4:46 pm

CLYDE EDWARDS-HELAIRE
RB, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

Chiefs GM Brett Veach said Damien Williams will remain the starter, but first-round rookie Clyde Edwards-Helaire will "compete for playing time."

“I certainly think it’s going to be a shared load,” Veach said. “Damien has been in this offense for a long time and certainly has shown what he can do on that playoff run. The guy’s a really good pass protector [and] can catch the football. I mean, both these guys can run and catch and certainly Damien will come in as the starting running back and Clyde will have to come in here and compete for playing time, which we think he’ll do. But I think it will be a one-two punch.” No matter how Veach feels, the fact is Williams hasn't handled more than 111 carries and 30 catches at any point in his six-year career. The Fresh Prince of Helaire is fully expected to handle Kansas City's third-down role while Williams splits early down carries, and that workload isn't projected to change barring an immense breakout for either during the league's hypothetical preseason. It's very clear both will share touches unless an injury separates the two mid-year.
SOURCE: Pro Football Talk on Twitter

May 1, 2020, 12:01 AM ET
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#8 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun May 3, 2020 2:17 am

LAVISKA SHENAULT
WR, JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

Jaguars coach Doug Marrone envisions using second-round WR Laviska Shenault in a variety of roles.

Marrone said, "You can put him in the backfield. He can play Wildcat. You can put him as the F tight end. You can do a lot of things with him." It's exactly how he was used at Colorado. Only 25% of his targets traveled beyond 10 yards of the line of scrimmage, and the Buffalos lined him up as a Wildcat QB in short-yardage situations to take advantage of his power and size (6'1/227). Jacksonville's offense will likely be experimenting with Shenault throughout his rookie season, but there is opportunity for him to earn starts at receiver. It's unclear if he'll primarily play the slot or outside in normal three-receiver sets.
SOURCE: ESPN.com

May 1, 2020, 2:04 PM ET
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#9 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun May 3, 2020 6:35 pm

JEDRICK WILLS
T, CLEVELAND BROWNS

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports the Browns are "very confident" No. 10 overall pick Jedrick Wills will be ready for left tackle duties by Week 1.

All of Wills' SEC experience came on the right side, while there will no traditional offseason program to get him ready for a switch to the blindside. Reporter Mary Kay Cabot believes longtime NFL right tackle Jack Conklin will flip to the left if Wills isn't ready, with the rookie manning his more comfortable right side.
SOURCE: Cleveland Plain Dealer

May 3, 2020, 10:32 AM ET
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#10 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun May 3, 2020 6:39 pm

JONATHAN TAYLOR
RB, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Colts coach Frank Reich envisions second-rounder Jonathan Taylor and Marlon Mack serving as a "one-two punch."

"It’s a grind, and when you run the ball as much as we run it, it’s really good to be able to change that up," Reich said. "I think their styles will really complement each other very well." Reich praised Mack's "vision" and "surge" before saying he hoped Taylor's speed can turn 10-yard runs into "50- and 60-yard gains." Mack failed to run away with lead-back duties in either 2018 or 2019. Reich can probably be believed that Mack will maintain a role, but Taylor will get every opportunity to earn 1A status. Nyheim Hines will remain involved as a pass catcher.
SOURCE: ESPN

May 3, 2020, 10:13 AM ET
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#11 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon May 4, 2020 8:14 pm

J.K. DOBBINS
RB, BALTIMORE RAVENS

Ravens GM Eric DeCosta believes it would have been "irresponsible" for the team to not select RB J.K. Dobbins in the second round since he carried a round one grade on Baltimore's board.

"My philosophy is talent wins," DeCosta told Adam Schein. "If you have a running back who you think can be a dynamic player for you and you are a team who loves to run the football, to me it makes too much sense." The Ravens were in a class above the rest of the league running the football last season, averaging 206 yards as a team. The next closest franchise was the 49ers at 144 yards. Dobbins' immediate contribution might be split with Mark Ingram, but there seems to be a clear path to a second-year explosion in 2021.
SOURCE: Mad Dog Radio

May 4, 2020, 3:00 PM ET
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#12 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon May 4, 2020 8:16 pm

MICHAEL PITTMAN
WR, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Coach Frank Reich revealed the Colts view second-round pick Michael Pittman as the team's "X" receiver.

"We believe he can develop into that pretty quickly," Reich added. There are many variations and formations, but in its simplest form the "X" receiver is the player you trust most to win in isolated one on one coverage on the weak side of the formation. In that case, he would not have the benefit of motion and could be jammed in press at the line of scrimmage. That's quite a role for a rookie to fill, but the team clearly has plenty of belief in Pittman's talents.
SOURCE: 1075 The Fan

May 4, 2020, 2:19 PM ET
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#13 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon May 4, 2020 8:19 pm

BRANDON AIYUK
WR, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

Speaking to NBC Sports' Peter King, 49ers GM John Lynch stated WR Brandon Aiyuk and WR CeeDee Lamb's grades were “very evenly matched” ahead of the 2020 NFL Draft.

The 49ers passed on the chance to draft Lamb at No. 14 overall, and instead traded up from pick No. 31 to No. 25 to secure Aiyuk on their roster. Lynch outlined a conversation he had with head coach Kyle Shanahan two days before the draft, claiming it might "raise eyebrows," but he would be "perfectly happy" to select Aiyuk at their original draft slot at No. 13. Shanahan agreed. From a stylistic standpoint, it makes total sense as the 49ers roster George Kittle, Deebo Samuel and Tevin Coleman, all top two at their position in average yards after the catch. Aiyuk averaged the sixth-most yards after the catch in college football last season. And in an added wrinkle, Aiyuk's former coach, Herm Edwards, is the godparent to one of Lynch's children. Surely that relationship and seamless line of communication paid off while completing background work. Ultimately, Aiyuk and Lamb will always be linked in the eyes of 49ers fans.
SOURCE: FMIA on NBC Sports

May 4, 2020, 1:00 PM ET
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#14 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun May 10, 2020 1:06 am

STEPHEN SULLIVAN
TE, SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said LSU WR Stephen Sullivan will open camp as a tight end.

Sullivan, Seattle's No. 251 overall pick this year, was designated as a wide receiver on draft night but will apparently begin his career as a tight end, after all. Sullivan (6'5/248) previously converted from wide receiver prior to the Tigers' National Championship run, embracing the move by adding nearly 20 pounds since his junior year. His remarkable 98th-percentile arm length (35 3/8") allows him to swallow the ball, though he still struggles with concentration issues that will need to be ironed out before he's a reliable target. There were also noticeable inconsistencies in his development: his longest run after the catch in 2019 was five yards, he played in all 15 games as a senior but caught a pass in only six games, etc. All things considered, Sullivan projects as a poor, poor man's Jared Cook if it all clicks. He could develop a red zone skill-set on the practice squad.
SOURCE: Bob Condotta on Twitter

May 9, 2020, 4:08 PM ET
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#15 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon May 11, 2020 5:32 pm

Javon Kinlaw Showed Why the Niners Took Him in the First Round Against Georgia:
https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/5/11/21253786/five-plays-from-javon-kinlaw-he-was-a-wrecking-ball-against-georgia
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#16 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat May 16, 2020 7:24 pm

JONATHAN TAYLOR
RB, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

1070 The Fan's Kevin Bowen projects Colts second-round RB Jonathan Taylor to average 15 carries per game.

"You don’t draft a running back No. 41 overall, and one that has the historic collegiate resume of Taylor, and not play him a lot in Year One" Bowen scribes. He also pens Taylor with 15 carries per game compared to Marlon Mack's 12 and Nyheim Hines' two. Coach Frank Reich has already confirmed he envisions the team's backfield as a "one-two punch," but the rookie does project to grab stranglehold of two-down duties sooner rather than later. It doesn't help that Mack, 24, is entering the final year of his contract.
SOURCE: Kevin Bowen on Twitter

May 15, 2020, 10:28 AM ET
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#17 » by I_am_1z » Sun May 17, 2020 5:21 am

Still shaking my head at the decision to take Aiyuk over Patrick Queen
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#18 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon May 18, 2020 2:54 pm

I_am_1z wrote:Still shaking my head at the decision to take Aiyuk over Patrick Queen

That would’ve been a good pick as well. I like the way he diagnoses plays - he has great eyes. He’s a very good blitzer. However he’s still raw and somewhat under developed physically.

Aiyuk better explode and develop to be that X factor in our offense b/c we definitely passed up on several great players for him (Love; Diggs; Gladney; Queen; Shenault).
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#19 » by Dodub » Mon May 18, 2020 3:22 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:Still shaking my head at the decision to take Aiyuk over Patrick Queen

That would’ve been a good pick as well. I like the way he diagnoses plays - he has great eyes. He’s a very good blitzer. However he’s still raw and somewhat under developed physically.

Aiyuk better explode and develop to be that X factor in our offense b/c we definitely passed up on several great players for him (Love; Diggs; Gladney; Queen; Shenault).

We’re loaded at LB and have spent a lot of resources solidifying the group. The last thing we need is anothe LB to contribute to the current log jam.

Aiyuk is going to be outstanding just like Deebo and Kittle. I love that Kyle finds his guys that will fit what he wants to do, picks like Deebo and Kittle drove people on this board crazy but he obviously knew what he was doing.
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#20 » by I_am_1z » Mon May 18, 2020 4:42 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:

We rarely agree, but Diggs and Queen we're going to regret passing up on.

Return to San Francisco 49ers