RealGM
And1: 939

Re: I’m Done With The NFL Probably Forever 

Post#241 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun Aug 2, 2020 8:38 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
lol

that's funny Sick, as a Muslim I've never seen child rape, rampant incest, female genital mutilation. beating wives or throwing people off roofs in my lifetime...

did I miss something? maybe you hang around more Muslims than I do? :roll:

Somehow I missed Sick's use of the word "magnanimous" to describe present-day Christianity. That is an incredibly interesting word to describe the Christian religion's approach to the world. Though I think it does likely perfectly capture Sick's view.

The definition: generous or forgiving, especially toward a rival or less powerful person.

Western, Christian people (but please don't call them white) effectively conquered the world, killing millions. They enslaved, raped, and murdered entire groups while seizing their territory. They took whatever they wanted, including stripping many places of natural resources. Much of that was explicitly done in the name of Christianity, including the virtual extermination of American Indians. I don't mean to single out Europeans criticism for that sort of behavior; it's been true of many other conquering groups (Egyptians, Mongols, Chinese, Muslims, Aztecs, Incas, Maori, Japanese, etc., etc., etc.), Europeans just became the best at it.

Having conquered the world over the course of 500-odd years, they divided it as they saw fit. In some cases - primarily those where the original inhabitants had immunity to Old World diseases and were eventually able to effectively resist them to some degree - they eventually gave up the less desirable areas, but they never fully gave up their influence, and never willingly.

Sure, in the last 70-odd years, you haven't seen wars in the name Christianity. But it's not like those Western countries - the US included - suddenly realized the error of their ways and the fundamental incompatibility with the religion to which they professed adherence. They fought proxy wars in third-world countries, using human beings like pawns on a chess board. They overthrew democratically elected governments if they didn't agree with their politics (or, perhaps more accurately, their likelihood to continue to support the commercial interests of the Western powers), often putting in place brutal dictators. When necessary, they went to war to assert or preserve their interests.

But those absolutely WERE NOT Christian wars. Sure, the governments of almost all of those countries were somewhere between 95-100% Christian, but that wasn't Christianity in action. That was politics. No, the Christians were only ever generous and forgiving toward their former subjects, who petulantly rejected the Christians' good will and continue to do so.

Perfect.

How about in the last 20 years? Why do we have to be responsible (and guilty) for what was done by previous generations? One can be educated about the past to keep it from repeating while also not suffering for what our forebears did.

My father's ancestors certainly included Spanish invaders who brutalized the south american natives just as they include those same natives, who themselves brutalized groups who were deemed as "less than". He managed to rise above that past to carve out a qualify life in the US where he met and married a woman with German/native american heritage and raise a family without oppressing people. And all this despite be raised a Christian.

How much has changed in the last 20 years? Just looking at the US, a Christian nation invaded a Muslim nation on invented charges within the last 20 years, throwing that entire region into absolute chaos (admittedly it was somewhat chaotic prior to that). I seem to recall the president at the time explicitly justifying it by calling it a Crusade. The US continues to effectively wage a proxy war in Yemen, funding attacks on what would likely be the prevailing government without Saudi and US interference. It's not the level of involvement we had during the Cold War or throughout the last 60-odd years in Central America, but it isn't a stark departure, either.

I don't think individuals should necessarily be held responsible (and guilty) for what was done by previous generations. The reality is that for the vast majority of human history, it's been a story of who could do what to whom. Strength was the only thing that mattered. But people should at least acknowledge what resulted in their positions of relative privilege, and it should impact their thinking in some way.

I find it more than a little rich that a beneficiary of past brutality - whether by one's ancestors or someone else's; and unless you're Native American and living in this country, that includes you - looks at the situation now and condemns previously (or currently) subjugated groups en masse for some lashing out. It's not magnanimous when a group devastates populations across the world, takes whatever they want, and then declares, "And now we shall have peace." Sure, at that point, peace benefits them at the expense of others. They aren't advocating peace because it's right or just, they're advocating peace because it's the easiest/cheapest way for them to hold onto their part of the pie.

And regardless of any of this, Islam is used now as Christianity was for centuries (and likely will be again) as an excuse for individuals and relatively small groups to obtain and retain power. Even in the case of a "Caliphate" like ISIS, it's not about the religion. It's about the path to power.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#242 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 8:52 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:How much has changed in the last 20 years? Just looking at the US, a Christian nation invaded a Muslim nation on invented charges within the last 20 years, throwing that entire region into absolute chaos (admittedly it was somewhat chaotic prior to that). I seem to recall the president at the time explicitly justifying it by calling it a Crusade. The US continues to effectively wage a proxy war in Yemen, funding attacks on what would likely be the prevailing government without Saudi and US interference. It's not the level of involvement we had during the Cold War or throughout the last 60-odd years in Central America, but it isn't a stark departure, either.

I don't think individuals should necessarily be held responsible (and guilty) for what was done by previous generations. The reality is that for the vast majority of human history, it's been a story of who could do what to whom. Strength was the only thing that mattered. But people should at least acknowledge what resulted in their positions of relative privilege, and it should impact their thinking in some way.

I find it more than a little rich that a beneficiary of past brutality - whether by one's ancestors or someone else's; and unless you're Native American and living in this country, that includes you - looks at the situation now and condemns previously (or currently) subjugated groups en masse for some lashing out. It's not magnanimous when a group devastates populations across the world, takes whatever they want, and then declares, "And now we shall have peace." Sure, at that point, peace benefits them at the expense of others. They aren't advocating peace because it's right or just, they're advocating peace because it's the easiest/cheapest way for them to hold onto their part of the pie.

And regardless of any of this, Islam is used now as Christianity was for centuries (and likely will be again) as an excuse for individuals and relatively small groups to obtain and retain power. Even in the case of a "Caliphate" like ISIS, it's not about the religion. It's about the path to power.

The US isn't a "Christian nation" anymore, and certainly it wasn't any part of the BS war. That was about money and you know it.

And the current batch of wars going on are also about money for the military industrial complex for the US ... the local issues may be described as religious as one group identifying themselves with one belief system wars another, but even then they are more often about money and power than the actual religion.

Until we replace the corrupted people (most of them from my view) in our government the rest of us don't really matter.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#243 » by clyde21 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 8:59 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
Somehow I missed Sick's use of the word "magnanimous" to describe present-day Christianity. That is an incredibly interesting word to describe the Christian religion's approach to the world. Though I think it does likely perfectly capture Sick's view.

The definition: generous or forgiving, especially toward a rival or less powerful person.

Western, Christian people (but please don't call them white) effectively conquered the world, killing millions. They enslaved, raped, and murdered entire groups while seizing their territory. They took whatever they wanted, including stripping many places of natural resources. Much of that was explicitly done in the name of Christianity, including the virtual extermination of American Indians. I don't mean to single out Europeans criticism for that sort of behavior; it's been true of many other conquering groups (Egyptians, Mongols, Chinese, Muslims, Aztecs, Incas, Maori, Japanese, etc., etc., etc.), Europeans just became the best at it.

Having conquered the world over the course of 500-odd years, they divided it as they saw fit. In some cases - primarily those where the original inhabitants had immunity to Old World diseases and were eventually able to effectively resist them to some degree - they eventually gave up the less desirable areas, but they never fully gave up their influence, and never willingly.

Sure, in the last 70-odd years, you haven't seen wars in the name Christianity. But it's not like those Western countries - the US included - suddenly realized the error of their ways and the fundamental incompatibility with the religion to which they professed adherence. They fought proxy wars in third-world countries, using human beings like pawns on a chess board. They overthrew democratically elected governments if they didn't agree with their politics (or, perhaps more accurately, their likelihood to continue to support the commercial interests of the Western powers), often putting in place brutal dictators. When necessary, they went to war to assert or preserve their interests.

But those absolutely WERE NOT Christian wars. Sure, the governments of almost all of those countries were somewhere between 95-100% Christian, but that wasn't Christianity in action. That was politics. No, the Christians were only ever generous and forgiving toward their former subjects, who petulantly rejected the Christians' good will and continue to do so.

Perfect.

How about in the last 20 years? Why do we have to be responsible (and guilty) for what was done by previous generations? One can be educated about the past to keep it from repeating while also not suffering for what our forebears did.

My father's ancestors certainly included Spanish invaders who brutalized the south american natives just as they include those same natives, who themselves brutalized groups who were deemed as "less than". He managed to rise above that past to carve out a qualify life in the US where he met and married a woman with German/native american heritage and raise a family without oppressing people. And all this despite be raised a Christian.

How much has changed in the last 20 years? Just looking at the US, a Christian nation invaded a Muslim nation on invented charges within the last 20 years, throwing that entire region into absolute chaos (admittedly it was somewhat chaotic prior to that). I seem to recall the president at the time explicitly justifying it by calling it a Crusade. The US continues to effectively wage a proxy war in Yemen, funding attacks on what would likely be the prevailing government without Saudi and US interference. It's not the level of involvement we had during the Cold War or throughout the last 60-odd years in Central America, but it isn't a stark departure, either.

well, the Middle East was in chaos before because of outside intervention, in the 80s the US was essentially using the Taliban as proxy fighters against Russia in Afghanistan, we've been sponsoring the ethnic cleansing of Palestinians for 5 decades now, we helped Saddam invade Kuwait, etc. etc...American intervensionism in the ME didn't start after 9/11

and since then, you hit the nail on the head, we invaded Iraq based on complete lies (essentially exactly what we did in Vietnam), we invaded Afghanistan based on lies (we're still there a decade after bin Laden has been dead), we tried to overthrow Assad in Syria and now that country is a **** mess, and don't get me started on Yemen, Libya, Sudan, and Somalia.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#244 » by clyde21 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 9:03 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:How much has changed in the last 20 years? Just looking at the US, a Christian nation invaded a Muslim nation on invented charges within the last 20 years, throwing that entire region into absolute chaos (admittedly it was somewhat chaotic prior to that). I seem to recall the president at the time explicitly justifying it by calling it a Crusade. The US continues to effectively wage a proxy war in Yemen, funding attacks on what would likely be the prevailing government without Saudi and US interference. It's not the level of involvement we had during the Cold War or throughout the last 60-odd years in Central America, but it isn't a stark departure, either.

The US isn't a "Christian nation" anymore, and certainly it wasn't any part of the BS war. That was about money and you know it.

And the current batch of wars going on are also about money for the military industrial complex for the US ... the local issues may be described as religious as one group identifying themselves with one belief system wars another, but even then they are more often about money and power than the actual religion.

Until we replace the corrupted people (most of them from my view) in our government the rest of us don't really matter.

of course it's about money/power, that's what almost all wars are regardless if it's labeled religious or not at the end of the day

but let's not act like the greater israel project happening right now in the ME isn't biblical, Mike Pompeo is a looney christian zionist who basis his foreign policy on what his bible tells him.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#245 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun Aug 2, 2020 11:08 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:

That's precisely my point. It was never about the religion. It was about the power/money/influence. That's true of "Muslims" committing atrocities today, too.
Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Post#246 » by Bald Bull » Mon Aug 3, 2020 1:39 am

:noway:
Read on Twitter
Bald Bull
Veteran

Post#247 » by Bald Bull » Tue Aug 4, 2020 3:03 am

"They dont police their "own"
watch both videos, white boys breaking windows, BLM trying to stop them.
Read on Twitter
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#248 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Aug 4, 2020 4:50 am

Yeah, a lot of the protesters out there currently are not even tangentially associated with the BLM organization, they're just using the phrase. Hell, Portland has a black population of less than 3%. It's one of the whitest cities in the country, and has a much stronger Antifa presence than BLM under normal circumstances. But BLM is catching all the flak for the destruction - at least from some.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#249 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Aug 4, 2020 5:33 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Yeah, a lot of the protesters out there currently are not even tangentially associated with the BLM organization, they're just using the phrase. Hell, Portland has a black population of less than 3%. It's one of the whitest cities in the country, and has a much stronger Antifa presence than BLM under normal circumstances. But BLM is catching all the flak for the destruction - at least from some.

A funny parallel example last week ... the Hong Kong/CCP police arrested a bunch of "insurgents" (protesters) and when they posted on social media they included that the people arrested were "#HKindependence" activists. Pretty funny that the HK freedom protesters took the hashtag from the police and ran with it. It's not like the protesters are associated with the police they just used their hashtag. The VAST majority of protesters holding up #BLM signs have nothing to do with the organization which to me is both a good and unfortunate thing as the BLM organization has held some extreme positions and advocated some extreme actions, but people using the slogan without the organization involved muddies the waters of the message and essentially allows anyone to hijack it.

I got put on the ground and zip tied by riot police in San Jose in 1992 ... it's been nearly 30 years and very little has changed for the better. This is a LONG process, and it needs to start with getting rid of the old people who are only in it for themselves from our government in Washington.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#250 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Aug 4, 2020 5:35 pm

Bald Bull wrote:"They dont police their "own"
watch both videos, white boys breaking windows, BLM trying to stop them.
Read on Twitter

Bad actors all over the place.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#251 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Aug 4, 2020 5:37 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Yeah, a lot of the protesters out there currently are not even tangentially associated with the BLM organization, they're just using the phrase. Hell, Portland has a black population of less than 3%. It's one of the whitest cities in the country, and has a much stronger Antifa presence than BLM under normal circumstances. But BLM is catching all the flak for the destruction - at least from some.

A funny parallel example last week ... the Hong Kong/CCP police arrested a bunch of "insurgents" (protesters) and when they posted on social media they included that the people arrested were "#HKindependence" activists. Pretty funny that the HK freedom protesters took the hashtag from the police and ran with it. It's not like the protesters are associated with the police they just used their hashtag. The VAST majority of protesters holding up #BLM signs have nothing to do with the organization which to me is both a good and unfortunate thing as the BLM organization has held some extreme positions and advocated some extreme actions, but people using the slogan without the organization involved muddies the waters of the message and essentially allows anyone to hijack it.

I got put on the ground and zip tied by riot police in San Jose in 1992 ... it's been nearly 30 years and very little has changed for the better. This is a LONG process, and it needs to start with getting rid of the old people who are only in it for themselves from our government in Washington.

To be fair, if you were zip-tied in 1992, you ain't no spring chicken.... :D
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#252 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Aug 4, 2020 5:48 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

To be fair, if you were zip-tied in 1992, you ain't no spring chicken.... :D

Too true :) But I still want to overthrow the man! For the first time in a LONG time the under 35 year olds have the largest group of eligible voters thanks to the Boomers finally dying off.

Nearly 200 congresspeople are over 65 ... that's insane to me. 12 are over 80!

The average age of congress has gone up about 10 years in the last 40, and most of that age is on the Dem side. I think that is a MAJOR reason the party has lost it's way.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#253 » by CalamityX12 » Tue Aug 4, 2020 8:57 pm

Hey Guys... i need to do my due diligence through this thread but please no personal attacks towards one another.

As well please do not glorify or call out certain progpaganda or disagreements without being fair to others on the other side of the discussion. Politics is very tricky to touch and speak about and we can try to talk and discuss but thrashing, pressure or attacks on one another has no place here.

We're better than that and been around each other for more than 2 Super Bowl defeats the very least....

Maybe we should cut politics out completely but I need to really read into this and make that decision, for the best of us I hope.
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#254 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Aug 4, 2020 9:54 pm

Hahaha. Uh-oh. Someone alerted the authorities....
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#255 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Aug 5, 2020 2:25 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:Hey Guys... i need to do my due diligence through this thread but please no personal attacks towards one another.

As well please do not glorify or call out certain progpaganda or disagreements without being fair to others on the other side of the discussion. Politics is very tricky to touch and speak about and we can try to talk and discuss but thrashing, pressure or attacks on one another has no place here.

We're better than that and been around each other for more than 2 Super Bowl defeats the very least....

Maybe we should cut politics out completely but I need to really read into this and make that decision, for the best of us I hope.

I'm a mod in a few other forums and honestly this has been refreshingly polite and open minded.
Bald Bull
Veteran

Post#256 » by Bald Bull » Thu Aug 6, 2020 2:32 am

CalamityX12 wrote:Hey Guys... i need to do my due diligence through this thread but please no personal attacks towards one another.

nah we're good. I actually enjoyed going deeper than just football and learning something about the people here. Even sick :lol:
clyde21
RealGM

Post#257 » by clyde21 » Thu Aug 6, 2020 3:03 am

Scoots1994 wrote:

I'm a mod in a few other forums and honestly this has been refreshingly polite and open minded.

well, except for the part where Sick called all Muslims rapists and wife beaters :lol:
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#258 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Aug 7, 2020 8:31 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

well, except for the part where Sick called all Muslims rapists and wife beaters :lol:

I chose to leave his arguments out of it since he clearly came in running on emotion.

Did he actually literally say that?
Bald Bull
Veteran

Post#259 » by Bald Bull » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:32 am

So whats the excuse for shooting at and pistol whipping kids aged 9, 12, 14, 15 and 16?
Read on Twitter
Bald Bull
Veteran

Post#260 » by Bald Bull » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:43 am

Whats the excuse for pipe bombing protesters?
Read on Twitter

Return to San Francisco 49ers