ImageImageImageImageImage

GDT: w4 vs Eagles

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

dr3am
RealGM
And1: 10,485

Re: GDT: w4 vs Eagles 

Post#381 » by dr3am » Mon Oct 5, 2020 3:04 pm

At this point we’re going to have to run the table, if we manage to beat the Dolphins & Rams then we’ll be in good shape.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#382 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Oct 5, 2020 4:14 pm

We're in trouble. This is the easy part of our schedule. We needed to run the table the first five weeks in anticipation of the stretch where we play the Rams, Pats, Hawks, Packers, Saints, Bills, and Rams again. Hard to see us winning any of those right now.

This team could have been really good this year, frustratingly. With everyone healthy, I would stack our roster up against anyone else in the league. But we're not even close to healthy at this point, lost arguably our most important defensive player for the season, and our second-best pass rusher (maybe our best pure pass rusher) may not play this year either. Brutal.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,244

Post#383 » by wco81 » Mon Oct 5, 2020 5:47 pm

Chris Collins said Bosa is probably a top 5 player in the league.

49ers have only beaten the two awful NYC teams which are 0-8.

They could be at the bottom of the division. A month from now, 49ers fans may be looking more closely at the top draft prospects.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#384 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Oct 5, 2020 6:00 pm

I'm pretty worried about this season. We could rebound, but it's hard to see it happening before we lose a couple more. Our OL has been bad, which has been inhibiting everything else. And although our secondary could get a lot better when we have Sherman, Mosely, Verrett, Williams, and Witherspoon at CB, our pass rush is not very likely to improve unless Kinlaw makes a huge jump during the season or Ford comes back. I think we might need 13+ wins to take the division from the Hawks at this point, so it ain't looking good.....
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#385 » by thesack12 » Mon Oct 5, 2020 7:06 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:I'm pretty worried about this season. We could rebound, but it's hard to see it happening before we lose a couple more. Our OL has been bad, which has been inhibiting everything else. And although our secondary could get a lot better when we have Sherman, Mosely, Verrett, Williams, and Witherspoon at CB, our pass rush is not very likely to improve unless Kinlaw makes a huge jump during the season or Ford comes back. I think we might need 13+ wins to take the division from the Hawks at this point, so it ain't looking good.....

There is definitely cause for concern, but the season isn't on the brink yet.

There is valid reason to hope that the the OL will start to galvanize and show improvement. We need to remember that until week 1, Trent Williams hadn't stepped foot on an NFL field since December of 2018. He also didn't have a normal offseason/preseason to help get back up to speed either. Williams is still rounding back into game form. Also, Weston Richburg should return the lineup in a month or so. While he sustained one of the worst injuries in sports, the position he plays does not call for top of the line athleticism or range of motion. So while he may not be what he once was, there is hope he can still be effective.

Without Bosa, the pass rush is always going to be a weak spot. However Ronald Blair and Julian Taylor are waiting in the wings to return. While neither of those guys are big time pass rushers (Blair is a solid rusher tho), they can help the defense simply by just being able to plug in more capable bodies and keeping guys fresh. The Dee Ford experience has not been a pleasant one. However, he has shown that he can be one of the better pass rushers in the NFL. Of course that is entirely health dependent, and health has not been on his side since he got to Frisco. He needs to get on the field, even if its just at a limited 3rd down/situational pass rusher type role. That would help in the pass rush department, and again would help keep the other guys fresher.

To me the bigger concern on defense lies within the defense complete inability to defend mobile QB's, especially with Russ and Kyler in the division. Seeing Wentz last night, who is not an overly mobile QB, make play after play with his feet proves the defense is helpless in that department. Still have Russ x 2, Cam, Kyler, Rodgers (who can be lethal extending plays outside the pocket), and even Allen left on the schedule. They are going to have to find a way to contain the QB's on the ground. The lack of reliable pass rushers, might actually help in that regard, might force Saleh to drop more guys back into coverage and commit to a spy on the QB.

'Hawks are 4-0, but they are vulnerable. With the exception of week 1 against Atlanta, they were on the ropes in legit jeopardy of losing all 3 of their other games. However, having a top shelf QB and the tendency to be clutch on both sides of the ball help them tremendously. They have OL and pass rush concerns just like Frisco does, and aren't the picture of health either. While their remaining schedule is lighter than Frisco's, they only have 3 sure wins left on theirs (NYG, NYJ, Washington.) Minnesota is a likely win, though.

While it is obviously the preferable path, 49ers don't need to win the division to get to where we all want to end up. With the expanded playoff field, if they can go 8-4 to finish the year they have a good shot at getting in the playoffs.

Its sure shaping up that of the 3 NFC wild card spots, 2 will come out of the west division and the other out of the South division.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#386 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Oct 5, 2020 9:31 pm

We can get back on track. But we just lost to the Eagles while they were playing two guys with virtually no experience at OT, and a bunch of nobodies at WR. It's hard right now to see us handling business on the road in New Orleans.
dr3am
RealGM
And1: 10,485

Post#387 » by dr3am » Mon Oct 5, 2020 9:43 pm

thesack12 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:I'm pretty worried about this season. We could rebound, but it's hard to see it happening before we lose a couple more. Our OL has been bad, which has been inhibiting everything else. And although our secondary could get a lot better when we have Sherman, Mosely, Verrett, Williams, and Witherspoon at CB, our pass rush is not very likely to improve unless Kinlaw makes a huge jump during the season or Ford comes back. I think we might need 13+ wins to take the division from the Hawks at this point, so it ain't looking good.....

There is definitely cause for concern, but the season isn't on the brink yet.

There is valid reason to hope that the the OL will start to galvanize and show improvement. We need to remember that until week 1, Trent Williams hadn't stepped foot on an NFL field since December of 2018. He also didn't have a normal offseason/preseason to help get back up to speed either. Williams is still rounding back into game form. Also, Weston Richburg should return the lineup in a month or so. While he sustained one of the worst injuries in sports, the position he plays does not call for top of the line athleticism or range of motion. So while he may not be what he once was, there is hope he can still be effective.

Without Bosa, the pass rush is always going to be a weak spot. However Ronald Blair and Julian Taylor are waiting in the wings to return. While neither of those guys are big time pass rushers (Blair is a solid rusher tho), they can help the defense simply by just being able to plug in more capable bodies and keeping guys fresh. The Dee Ford experience has not been a pleasant one. However, he has shown that he can be one of the better pass rushers in the NFL. Of course that is entirely health dependent, and health has not been on his side since he got to Frisco. He needs to get on the field, even if its just at a limited 3rd down/situational pass rusher type role. That would help in the pass rush department, and again would help keep the other guys fresher.

To me the bigger concern on defense lies within the defense complete inability to defend mobile QB's, especially with Russ and Kyler in the division. Seeing Wentz last night, who is not an overly mobile QB, make play after play with his feet proves the defense is helpless in that department. Still have Russ x 2, Cam, Kyler, Rodgers (who can be lethal extending plays outside the pocket), and even Allen left on the schedule. They are going to have to find a way to contain the QB's on the ground. The lack of reliable pass rushers, might actually help in that regard, might force Saleh to drop more guys back into coverage and commit to a spy on the QB.

'Hawks are 4-0, but they are vulnerable. With the exception of week 1 against Atlanta, they were on the ropes in legit jeopardy of losing all 3 of their other games. However, having a top shelf QB and the tendency to be clutch on both sides of the ball help them tremendously. They have OL and pass rush concerns just like Frisco does, and aren't the picture of health either. While their remaining schedule is lighter than Frisco's, they only have 3 sure wins left on theirs (NYG, NYJ, Washington.) Minnesota is a likely win, though.

While it is obviously the preferable path, 49ers don't need to win the division to get to where we all want to end up. With the expanded playoff field, if they can go 8-4 to finish the year they have a good shot at getting in the playoffs.

Its sure shaping up that of the 3 NFL wild card spots, 2 will come out of the west division and the other out of the South division.

Your post gives me hope no lie.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#388 » by Jikkle » Tue Oct 6, 2020 7:16 am

Frustrating loss because like Week 1 it was a game they blew themselves rather than the opponent taking it from them.

Plus all the things that have been nagging the team for a while are nagging them in these losses. Defense is completely lost when the QB does things with it's feet and the Center and right side of the offensive line is a liability.

Trent Williams had a bad game but I think that more of an outlier than what to expect from him week in and week out. What's not an outlier is McGlinchey blows in pass protection especially in critical moments and he's a guy at the moment I would not extend and start looking for a successor for RT. I can't be too hard on Garland because he's supposed to be a backup so it's tough for me to rip him for not playing like a quality starter. Brunskill I could go easy on since he's new to the position and he didn't really get many reps at it in training camp.

Still Williams and Tomlinson are the only guys I'd look to build around for the future and I'd be looking to upgrade every other position on the offensive line.

Defensively I've said it before and it's looking like a long shot now but they need a healthy Dee Ford back. Bosa was a terrible loss but a survivable one as even without him there is still a lot of talent upfront but they need at least one above average pass rusher coming off the edge.

But the biggest key will be Jimmy G because I think the passing game is going to be more dynamic to make a run. Need a more threatening passing attack to punish defenses that are selling out to stop the run and need more points in general to make up for a less effective defense. And we've seen teams win with okish defense by having great QB play as all you have to do is look at the Seahawks to see an example of that.

I did see a glimmer of hope for Jimmy G in that Jets game because it just seemed like after he got hurt it knocked down some mental block in him and he was looking like his 2017 self. I don't know if being injured caused him to stop worrying about getting injured and it was like no use in trying to protect myself now or if getting injured caused him to think I've gotta get this ball out fast and hard before I take a hit and caused him to play a little more freely. But whatever happened I hope he doesn't forget it when he's healthy and back on the field.

I'd say the goal and hope is to get into the playoffs and hope you're healthy enough to make a run. The problem is that the NFC is tough and competition for those wildcard spots is going to be brutal and they might not get healthy in time to get to wins to get in.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#389 » by Samurai » Tue Oct 6, 2020 6:03 pm

My biggest concern for this season is the trenches on both sides of the ball. Offensively, we have all our starters playing and they are still getting beat on a regular basis. I understand Brunskill is still learning how to play guard so maybe there is hope he can improve. But the poor play of McGlinchey is a big concern and now Williams just had his worst game (so far) as a Niner. On the defensive side, a big part of our previous success (besides the obvious of having a talent like Bosa) is we had the depth that allowed Saleh to rotate guys in and keep our D-line fresh throughout the game. We just don't have enough bodies for that any more. I am assuming we will see improvement at other positions once guys like Deebo gets more into game shape and our running backs, linebackers and cornerbacks get healthy, but I don't see any savior coming in to solve our issues in the trenches.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,244

Post#390 » by wco81 » Tue Oct 6, 2020 7:24 pm

McGlinchey has one more season on his rookie deal, where he would make $6 million. I'm guessing a fifth year option would put it over $10 million and then he'd be looking for a huge payday.

Do you try to extend him or start drafting some tackles? Because Williams isn't young either.

Even with Bosa, the team lacks speed rusher to chase down QBs who've broken the pocket. Ford would be that but he's barely played in two seasons. The athletic QBs can extend the plays easily against the 4 man DL, which is not a good situation when you have Wilson and Murray in the division.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#391 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Tue Oct 6, 2020 11:51 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:We're in trouble. This is the easy part of our schedule. We needed to run the table the first five weeks in anticipation of the stretch where we play the Rams, Pats, Hawks, Packers, Saints, Bills, and Rams again. Hard to see us winning any of those right now.

This team could have been really good this year, frustratingly. With everyone healthy, I would stack our roster up against anyone else in the league. But we're not even close to healthy at this point, lost arguably our most important defensive player for the season, and our second-best pass rusher (maybe our best pure pass rusher) may not play this year either. Brutal.

Losing Buckner was a big blow for that entire unit. The reason why Armstead hasn't been able to rack up sacks like he did last year is because Buck is no longer there to collapse or flush the QB out of the pocket into the waiting arms of Arik. Bosa is a top 15 player in the league IMO. Losing him was the writing on the wall for me - I immediately dropped the 49ers Team Defense/ST in my FF leagues.

Return to San Francisco 49ers