ImageImageImageImageImage

Fred Warner

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Fred Warner 

Post#1 » by Dodub » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:58 pm

He is emerging as potentially the best Inside Backer in the league. He’s turning into a Luke Kuechly type of player. We need to extend him before he gets even better.
dr3am
RealGM
And1: 10,485

Re: Fred Warner 

Post#2 » by dr3am » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:02 pm

Agreed, no way we can let him walk, he’s the best line backer in the game!
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,241

Post#3 » by thesack12 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:56 pm

Agreed.

Make Kwon Alexander a post June cut creating $3mil in dead cap but $10 mil in cap savings and use that $ to extend Warner. Kwon's figure of $13.5 mil/season is a decent starting spot in negotiations for Warner. Its likely gonna take like $18 mil/season for a Warner extension.
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#4 » by I_am_1z » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:34 am

Please don't. I want a LB that can square up RBs and drive them backwards
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 963

Post#5 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:07 pm

I_am_1z wrote:Please don't. I want a LB that can square up RBs and drive them backwards

You don't want to re-sign Warner because he isn't a MLB of the early 2000s who can drive a RB backwards? That's a pretty antiquated view of the game.

Warner is a tremendous leader, currently the heart-and-soul of this overperforming defense, is a tremendous physical talent, and has exceptional instincts. With the possible exception of bringing overwhelming force to the table - and he can certainly still lay the lumber when he gets a clear shot - he's got it all.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#6 » by GS Warriors 1 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:50 pm

I_am_1z wrote:Please don't. I want a LB that can square up RBs and drive them backwards

Got to have a LB that can cover in the 2020's NFL, Warner may well be the best cover LB in the game. Tackling rates has improved over his previous 2 years so far, shows he's only getting better in that department. He's a keeper.
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#7 » by I_am_1z » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:23 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:

You don't want to re-sign Warner because he isn't a MLB of the early 2000s who can drive a RB backwards? That's a pretty antiquated view of the game.

Warner is a tremendous leader, currently the heart-and-soul of this overperforming defense, is a tremendous physical talent, and has exceptional instincts. With the possible exception of bringing overwhelming force to the table - and he can certainly still lay the lumber when he gets a clear shot - he's got it all.

All but physicality. Let me see him get off blocks better and blow-up plays AND not get run over when doing so. We have a bend but don't break defense. I've seen Warner swing a RB for a first down. I'm not sure he's a "tremendous" leader, but he's the guy THIS year, that's for sure.
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#8 » by Dodub » Sat Nov 7, 2020 5:00 am

Aaron Rodgers called Warner the best in the game.
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#9 » by I_am_1z » Sat Nov 7, 2020 6:26 pm

Dodub wrote:Aaron Rodgers called Warner the best in the game.

Tampering
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#10 » by Samurai » Sat Nov 7, 2020 7:00 pm

Dick Butkus has been retired for a long time now. In today's game, I'd love to lock up Warner.
dr3am
RealGM
And1: 10,485

Post#11 » by dr3am » Sat Nov 7, 2020 9:57 pm

Dodub wrote:Aaron Rodgers called Warner the best in the game.

Huge coming from one of the GOAT’s. He’s definitely getting that big contract in the offseason!

I_am_1z
Starter

Post#12 » by I_am_1z » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:57 pm

Samurai wrote:

Dick Butkus has been retired for a long time now. In today's game, I'd love to lock up Warner.

Rather lockup our underrated superstar LB in Greenlaw and get the injury discount with Bosa and Sherm
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#13 » by I_am_1z » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:16 am

"Linebacker Fred Warner, one of the league's best young defensive stars, was surprisingly among the worst-graded 49ers players from the game. Saints quarterbacks, however, owned a passer rating of 127.8 when targeting Warner, and the analytics site credited him for giving up a touchdown.

Warner's 40.9 overall grade was his worst since Super Bowl LIV." - PFF
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#14 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:28 am

Must have missed you last week when PFF named him to their midseason all-pro team. Even the best have bad games.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-2020-midseason-all-pro-team

And our "underrated superstar" was worse with a team-worst 29.4 grade.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#15 » by CalamityX12 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:16 am

For me Warner will never dethrone Patrick Willis... but I’m coming from an old school of football vs today’s style.

In today’s game, Warner is exceptional.... he’s not a brute(getting stronger and constantly improving tho) but he’s the real deal... he’s the next great LB for us... hopefully
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Post#16 » by Bald Bull » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:24 am

Choosing Greenlaw over Warner, might be as bad as choosing Armstead over Buckner.

Calamaity nailed it. Warner ability to cover makes him one of the more valuable players in today's league IMO. Anyone devaluing him must be hyper focusing on the rare missed play, which everyone has.

Greenlaws not bad, but not elite or as well rounded, he is out of position more frequently than fred is.
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#17 » by I_am_1z » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:43 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Must have missed you last week when PFF named him to their midseason all-pro team. Even the best have bad games.

I was watching Redzone, but remember the commentators saying Greenlaw was matched up against Kamara majority of the game. Not sure how that happens, when the BEST LB IN THE LEAGUE is on our team.
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#18 » by I_am_1z » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:45 am

Bald Bull wrote:Choosing Greenlaw over Warner, might be as bad as choosing Armstead over Buckner.

Calamaity nailed it. Warner ability to cover makes him one of the more valuable players in today's league IMO. Anyone devaluing him must be hyper focusing on the rare missed play, which everyone has.

Greenlaws not bad, but not elite or as well rounded, he is out of position more frequently than fred is.

Huh? Given the context, I'll trade Buckner at 20 mil for Kinlaw with how the season has gone. Buckner would have just been taking up cap space on a unlikely playoff team.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#19 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:17 pm

I_am_1z wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Must have missed you last week when PFF named him to their midseason all-pro team. Even the best have bad games.

I was watching Redzone, but remember the commentators saying Greenlaw was matched up against Kamara majority of the game. Not sure how that happens, when the BEST LB IN THE LEAGUE is on our team.

I don't recall them saying that, but I'll take your word that they did. I wasn't paying a ton of attention in this one, I will admit, but I definitely saw Warner covering Kamara several times - admittedly getting beaten badly on the TD.

I never said Warner was the best LB in the league, just that he's a very good player and a guy we should try to keep. I also like Greenlaw. Neither of them played particularly well on Sunday, but that doesn't mean they aren't good. Only someone who is being deliberately daft would cherry-pick a single bad game and extrapolate from that. (Hint, hint.)

Btw, I feel compelled to note that PFF loves Aiyuk and is somewhat lukewarm on Hamler to date. Again, I think both those guys can be really good players in this league, but no doubt which has the leg up right now. Aiyuk has shown every sign of becoming an impact receiver to date. Really excited for next year when we can (hopefully) get Kittle, Aiyuk, and Samuel on the field together. Maybe even with Hurd....
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#20 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:21 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:For me Warner will never dethrone Patrick Willis... but I’m coming from an old school of football vs today’s style.

In today’s game, Warner is exceptional.... he’s not a brute(getting stronger and constantly improving tho) but he’s the real deal... he’s the next great LB for us... hopefully

Patrick Willis was a unique talent. You don't see many guys like that. No knock on Warner if he never hits that level, though I think he could develop into a better coverage player.

Just for the sake of a little nostalgia:

Return to San Francisco 49ers