Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Re: Fred Warner 

Post#21 » by I_am_1z » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:33 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Must have missed you last week when PFF named him to their midseason all-pro team. Even the best have bad games.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-2020-midseason-all-pro-team

And our "underrated superstar" was worse with a team-worst 29.4 grade.

I was watching Redzone, but remember the commentators saying Greenlaw was matched up against Kamara majority of the game. Not sure how that happens, when the BEST LB IN THE LEAGUE is on our team.

I don't recall them saying that, but I'll take your word that they did. I wasn't paying a ton of attention in this one, I will admit, but I definitely saw Warner covering Kamara several times - admittedly getting beaten badly on the TD.

I never said Warner was the best LB in the league, just that he's a very good player and a guy we should try to keep. I also like Greenlaw. Neither of them played particularly well on Sunday, but that doesn't mean they aren't good. Only someone who is being deliberately daft would cherry-pick a single bad game and extrapolate from that. (Hint, hint.)

Btw, I feel compelled to note that PFF loves Aiyuk and is somewhat lukewarm on Hamler to date. Again, I think both those guys can be really good players in this league, but no doubt which has the leg up right now. Aiyuk has shown every sign of becoming an impact receiver to date. Really excited for next year when we can (hopefully) get Kittle, Aiyuk, and Samuel on the field together. Maybe even with Hurd....

I just wouldn't want anything to do with whatever top 5 LB money looks like against the cap. Especially your LB doesn't stand a chance against the Kamaras of the world. Now, Greenlaw ,who's hardly a known name in football, is probably going to get your average starter money. I don't like PFF's rating system, but from what I saw on RZ, Warner did not look like a **12-15 million (guessing) dollar LB.

I'm not sure how good of a receiver Aiyuk is just yet, but I cannot deny he certainly deserves the nickname YAC. He fights for every yard, which is not oft seen anymore. My question with Aiyuk is can he make contested catches? I don't know why the Broncos aren't getting KJ deep more. Bronco fans believe both him and Jeudy are always open. I want to see Fant get less targets, so Hamler can finally show out.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#22 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:56 pm

I_am_1z wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:
I was watching Redzone, but remember the commentators saying Greenlaw was matched up against Kamara majority of the game. Not sure how that happens, when the BEST LB IN THE LEAGUE is on our team.

I don't recall them saying that, but I'll take your word that they did. I wasn't paying a ton of attention in this one, I will admit, but I definitely saw Warner covering Kamara several times - admittedly getting beaten badly on the TD.

I never said Warner was the best LB in the league, just that he's a very good player and a guy we should try to keep. I also like Greenlaw. Neither of them played particularly well on Sunday, but that doesn't mean they aren't good. Only someone who is being deliberately daft would cherry-pick a single bad game and extrapolate from that. (Hint, hint.)

Btw, I feel compelled to note that PFF loves Aiyuk and is somewhat lukewarm on Hamler to date. Again, I think both those guys can be really good players in this league, but no doubt which has the leg up right now. Aiyuk has shown every sign of becoming an impact receiver to date. Really excited for next year when we can (hopefully) get Kittle, Aiyuk, and Samuel on the field together. Maybe even with Hurd....

I just wouldn't want anything to do with whatever top 5 LB money looks like against the cap. Especially your LB doesn't stand a chance against the Kamaras of the world. Now, Greenlaw ,who's hardly a known name in football, is probably going to get your average starter money. I don't like PFF's rating system, but from what I saw on RZ, Warner did not look like a **12-15 million (guessing) dollar LB.

I'm not sure how good of a receiver Aiyuk is just yet, but I cannot deny he certainly deserves the nickname YAC. He fights for every yard, which is not oft seen anymore. My question with Aiyuk is can he make contested catches? I don't know why the Broncos aren't getting KJ deep more. Bronco fans believe both him and Jeudy are always open. I want to see Fant get less targets, so Hamler can finally show out.

Top-tier LB money would be tough, and you're right, for the relative prices, Greenlaw might be the better move. That said, there isn't a LB in the league who will shut down a guy like Kamara for four quarters. Especially from the MLB spot.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#23 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:56 pm

Re: Aiyuk, tough to say on contested catches. To date, he's been getting pretty open.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#24 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:02 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:For me Warner will never dethrone Patrick Willis... but I’m coming from an old school of football vs today’s style.

In today’s game, Warner is exceptional.... he’s not a brute(getting stronger and constantly improving tho) but he’s the real deal... he’s the next great LB for us... hopefully

Patrick Willis was a unique talent. You don't see many guys like that. No knock on Warner if he never hits that level, though I think he could develop into a better coverage player.

Just for the sake of a little nostalgia:

I miss him.... :(
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#25 » by I_am_1z » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:05 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Re: Aiyuk, tough to say on contested catches. To date, he's been getting pretty open.

Shanny could get Rashaun Woods open
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#26 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:48 am

I_am_1z wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Re: Aiyuk, tough to say on contested catches. To date, he's been getting pretty open.

Shanny could get Rashaun Woods open

Probably.
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#27 » by Dodub » Fri Jan 8, 2021 11:25 pm

Add All-Pro to his accolades
arich35
General Manager
And1: 816

Post#28 » by arich35 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 6:02 am

I am curious what kind of contract he is going to get
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#29 » by thesack12 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:34 pm

arich35 wrote:I am curious what kind of contract he is going to get

Its probably going to set the new record for an ILB, which is currently held by CJ Mosely @ 5 years/$85 mil (51 guaranteed.)

I love Fred, but I'm going to listen to trade offers for him before signing that type of contract.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#30 » by GS Warriors 1 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:21 pm

Fred Warner is going to get a contract extension this summer, it's virtually a lock at this point. He's clearly one of the best players on the team, team views him as a leader, and it's at a position that isn't "too" expensive. If there is one move they are going to make this offseason that you can write in pen, it's probably this one.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#31 » by thesack12 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:51 pm

GS Warriors 1 wrote:Fred Warner is going to get a contract extension this summer, it's virtually a lock at this point. He's clearly one of the best players on the team, team views him as a leader, and it's at a position that isn't "too" expensive. If there is one move they are going to make this offseason that you can write in pen, it's probably this one.

I get why they aren't super keen on using it, especially with Lynch being a former player, but I think they need to give more serious thought into utilizing the franchise tag.

Not so much talking about this Fred Warner situation, as I don't think he's the type who's play will sharply decline after getting paid or get exposed with watered down talent around him, but I wouldn't entirely rule out using it on him in 2022 either. With the current cap volatility, I'd be leery of handing out any hefty long term contracts right now.

For instance if they would have used the franchise tag on Armstead this year, we would all feel a lot better about his status moving forward. That's not even hindsight either. Many within 49ers circles, myself included, mentioned that using the tag was probably the best course of action for Armstead. Sure he would have carried a $16 mil cap # this season, but now you could most definitely get him at a MUCH MUCH cheaper rate with a new contract for next season, or just move on from him entirely without any strings attached.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#32 » by GS Warriors 1 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:57 pm

No way they'll wait for the tag. If they did it with Kittle under known cap uncertainty, they'll get it done with Warner. Also, expecting lowered salary cap for 2022 can be manipulated in year-to-year cap figures that Warner's cap number will likely be lower than the tag in years 1 and 2. They did low year 1 cap numbers for Ward, Armstead, and Kittle (2021).
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#33 » by I_am_1z » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:55 pm

Warner not worth it.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#34 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:52 pm

I_am_1z wrote:Warner not worth it.

If he's not, it's only because the position isn't worth it. Warner is a special player.
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#35 » by I_am_1z » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:13 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:

If he's not, it's only because the position isn't worth it. Warner is a special player.

Your position determines your worth, so yes, he's not worth the contract he was given. I'm not sure what's "special" about Warner. He's rangy, can cover well, and has good play recognition, but he's not off the charts SPECIAL in anyway shape or form. We've seen special LB play in SF from Willis, Bowman, and even Borland--Warner doesn't hold a candle to any of these players.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#36 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:12 pm

I_am_1z wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

Your position determines your worth, so yes, he's not worth the contract he was given. I'm not sure what's "special" about Warner. He's rangy, can cover well, and has good play recognition, but he's not off the charts SPECIAL in anyway shape or form. We've seen special LB play in SF from Willis, Bowman, and even Borland--Warner doesn't hold a candle to any of these players.

Borland? Come on, be serious. Borland was a solid player who outperformed his measurables with heady play and instincts. But he wasn't special.

On the field, Warner is extremely instinctive, fast, arrives at the ball with bad intent, he has excellent range and instincts in coverage (arguable the most important thing for a LB in today's NFL). Off the field (and on the field, frankly), he's a natural leader, he's fiery without being out of control, he's intelligent. He's the heart-and-soul of the defense.

Seems like you're putting too much stock into filling aggressively against the run. Warner doesn't make his mark by taking on and shedding OL, and he probably never will. But he's a really good player despite that.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#37 » by thesack12 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:44 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:

100%
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#38 » by Ray_Dogg » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:53 am

Warner has been god awful this year. Like really bad.

Return to San Francisco 49ers