ImageImageImageImageImage

2021 QB Options

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Re: 2021 QB Options 

Post#81 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:35 pm

This was meant in response to wco81's post, which is on the last page and which I didn't quote.

I've actually reached a point where I can live with any of the three. Fields is my top choice because of his pedigree, accuracy, intelligence, demonstrated toughness, ability to prevail in the face of fairly significant adversity, and athleticism, but all of these guys have strong positives as well as some pretty significant negatives, or at least major question marks. And I think Kyle is a good enough coach that he can put any of them into position to win games. But especially if the pick is Jones and one of the other two goes on to be a Mahomes or a Watson, I'm going to be pretty pissed.

And I reserve the right to pitch a fit on draft night regardless of these comments.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#82 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:37 pm

Apparently Fields suffers from epilepsy. Hasn't had any adverse effects on the field, and the expectation is that it will fade as he ages, but could be one factor among many that impacts whether he's the pick at three.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#83 » by thesack12 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:47 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:This was meant in response to wco81's post, which is on the last page and which I didn't quote.

I've actually reached a point where I can live with any of the three. Fields is my top choice because of his pedigree, accuracy, intelligence, demonstrated toughness, ability to prevail in the face of fairly significant adversity, and athleticism, but all of these guys have strong positives as well as some pretty significant negatives, or at least major question marks. And I think Kyle is a good enough coach that he can put any of them into position to win games. But especially if the pick is Jones and one of the other two goes on to be a Mahomes or a Watson, I'm going to be pretty pissed.

And I reserve the right to pitch a fit on draft night regardless of these comments.

Whomever they pick is going to be under a huge amount of pressure from jump. The team not only made the move to jump up the board to get the guy, but they gave up a HUGE portion of the team's future to boot. On top of that, whenever they do get under center for the first time they are going to be expected to navigate the mine field and keep this team in its window due to the talent on the roster.

If they take Mac Jones (hopefully they don't) that pressure is probably only going to be amplified. There is already a very sizable portion of the fan base that is anti Mac Jones (I'm in that group.) So there are going to be a ton of people with a bad taste in their mouth immediately after he gets announced as the pick. It won't be fair to him, but that expectation and the amount of pressure on him to not only play well but excel will only be escalated simply because people won't like the pick.

Hopefully pitching a fit won't be necessary in here on draft night, because I myself am not immune to such episodes, lol.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,218

Post#84 » by wco81 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:51 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Apparently Fields suffers from epilepsy. Hasn't had any adverse effects on the field, and the expectation is that it will fade as he ages, but could be one factor among many that impacts whether he's the pick at three.

Hmm, Foster had injury concerns before his off-field problems got him out of the league.

If Field's health concerns surface during his career, the team that picked him is going to be criticized.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#85 » by thesack12 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:13 am

For anyone interested in QB talk other than the #3 pick, a video of Jim Mora Jr (Rosen's college coach) talking about why Rosen has been a disappointment.

Mora isn't exactly critical of Josh, but he provides a pretty real assessment and it doesn't paint Josh in a glowing light.
wco81
RealGM

Post#86 » by wco81 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:56 pm

Well Kyle obviously isn't expecting too much from Rosen or else he wouldn't have traded the farm to move up to get a QB.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#87 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:11 pm

Yeah, if we hadn't traded up and stuck with Jimmy this year, I'd be very interested in Rosen and what he can do. I'm still curious if he has a future in the league. He's got some physical talent, he appears to be a smart kid, but he's got some weird personality stuff that appears to be holding him back. At this point, at least so far as the Niners go, the Rosen ship has sailed.
wco81
RealGM

Post#88 » by wco81 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:54 pm

Basically what it would take is the QB coach or maybe a level below him, some enthusiastic quality-control or video guy to work with him, drill him, since he won't be getting many reps in practice.

Once they get the draftee on board, Rosen wouldn't get any reps if he stayed on the roster. He might be relegated to running the scout team.

Otherwise, most coaches would be busy with the first two guys. Plus the other thing is, would Rosen settle for being at best #3 guy or maybe being on the practice squad?

Or say the 49ers eventually move Jimmy. Would he settle for being second string to this guy the team is about to draft?

He might look to see if another team has a competitive situation for at least QB2.

Or he might just say screw it and move on with pro football. Suppose to be really bright so if he has another passion, he might decide it's not worth kissing ass to try to get a second string job.

Or time for him to find another passion or career.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#89 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:11 pm

Well he's under contract for this season, so if we want to keep him around, we will. The Sudfeld signing didn't make a lot of sense to me given that Rosen is on the roster. Unless we move Garoppolo - which is still possible, of course - one of Sudfeld or Rosen will have to go. And I would personally much rather have Rosen on the roster. Sudfeld doesn't bring a damn thing, IMO. He's not even a particularly competent backup. Might as well have a guy at the #3 spot who has upside, at least.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#90 » by thesack12 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:05 pm

Yeah, the Sudfeld signing is a pretty big red flag for Rosen.

Actually Sudfeld's contract ($990K) is more than Rosen's ($850k), and Sudfeld is guaranteed $252k and Rosen is guaranteed $0.

With the expanded practice squad rosters likely to remain this season, short of one of them just completely crapping the bed in the preseason, I would think that both will probably stick around at some capacity to start the season. But it certainly does seem like Rosen is running out of chances, even to be a #2 guy in the NFL.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#91 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:11 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Apparently Fields suffers from epilepsy. Hasn't had any adverse effects on the field, and the expectation is that it will fade as he ages, but could be one factor among many that impacts whether he's the pick at three.

I knew a few people who also deal with it. There is not a concrete answer to it but long term health issues are small for the vast majority.

It's a factor, but probably not determinant.

Return to San Francisco 49ers