2021 49ers offseason

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,425

Re: 2021 49ers offseason 

Post#521 » by Cactus Jack » Fri May 7, 2021 11:16 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Go get Cade Johnson before the Hawks (got to think he'd be more willing to sign with the Niners given their depth and the fact that the Hawks used their first pick on a similar WR).

Cade Johnson was a nice get. Supposedly he's close with Tyler Lockett. So that's why he chose the Hawks.

But I think I'm more excited about the signing of Tamorrion "Scary" Terry, the tall vertical threat out of Florida State. :wink:

Read on Twitter

Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#522 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri May 7, 2021 11:57 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Go get Cade Johnson before the Hawks (got to think he'd be more willing to sign with the Niners given their depth and the fact that the Hawks used their first pick on a similar WR).

Cade Johnson was a nice get. Supposedly he's close with Tyler Lockett. So that's why he chose the Hawks.

But I think I'm more excited about the signing of Tamorrion "Scary" Terry, the tall vertical threat out of Florida State. :wink:

Read on Twitter

Terry is one of the bigger guys I was referencing. Cade Johnson appealed because our clear need is slot WR and it stings to come out of this draft without a smaller, shifty guy (seems like there were a ton of that type of guy in this draft). Though Deebo and Aiyuk could play out of the slot if we added a vertical guy. And I like Watkins as a Bourne replacement, I just would have added more than one guy to such a pathetic position group.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#523 » by CrimsonCrew » Sat May 8, 2021 1:38 am

Interestingly, NFL.com has Johnson And Terry as their top two undrafted WRs. Watkins comes in third.

https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects/WR?college=allColleges&page=1&status=UNDRAFTED&year=2021
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#524 » by Cactus Jack » Sat May 8, 2021 1:48 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Terry is one of the bigger guys I was referencing. Cade Johnson appealed because our clear need is slot WR and it stings to come out of this draft without a smaller, shifty guy (seems like there were a ton of that type of guy in this draft). Though Deebo and Aiyuk could play out of the slot if we added a vertical guy. And I like Watkins as a Bourne replacement, I just would have added more than one guy to such a pathetic position group.

Yeah, Deebo can play slot.

It's funny that all three teams in the division also took a "slot" type of guy. Although at 155 lbs. I'm not sure how Tutu Atwell (Rams pick) will hold up. That's extremely small.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#525 » by Scoots1994 » Sat May 8, 2021 2:57 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Terry is one of the bigger guys I was referencing. Cade Johnson appealed because our clear need is slot WR and it stings to come out of this draft without a smaller, shifty guy (seems like there were a ton of that type of guy in this draft). Though Deebo and Aiyuk could play out of the slot if we added a vertical guy. And I like Watkins as a Bourne replacement, I just would have added more than one guy to such a pathetic position group.

It's funny that all three teams in the division also took a "slot" type of guy. Although at 155 lbs. I'm not sure how Tutu Atwell (Rams pick) will hold up. That's extremely small.

Supposedly the last time Tutu was weighed he came in at 149. He bulked up to get to 155.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#526 » by Cactus Jack » Sat May 8, 2021 3:31 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Supposedly the last time Tutu was weighed he came in at 149. He bulked up to get to 155.

Lol I just can't fathom how that dude will be able to play & not be susceptible to injury. Desean Jackson is listed as 175lbs & staying healthy has been an issue for him for someone his size. Even if Tutu we're to add say another 10-15lbs (165-170), it's gonna be difficult for him.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#527 » by Scoots1994 » Sat May 8, 2021 2:06 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Maiocco's roster projection:

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/49ers-53-man-roster-projection-after-2021-nfl-draft

WR position stands out, of course:

Making the cut: Deebo Samuel, Brandon Aiyuk, Richie James, Trent Sherfield, Jalen Hurd, Travis Benjamin

On 90-man roster: Mohamed Sanu, River Cracraft, Kevin White, Jauan Jennings, Austin Proehl, Austin Watkins Jr.

Coach Kyle Shanahan downplayed the 49ers’ need at wide receiver last week. The 49ers' streak of drafting a wide receiver for 18 consecutive years came to an end. In the later rounds, Shanahan said it would have been difficult for any draft pick to make the roster because the 49ers already had six or more NFL-caliber wide receivers. Watkins, an undrafted rookie from UAB, has a chance. But it figures to be difficult for anyone to crack the top six — as long as those ticketed for roster spots remain healthy.

Maiocco is great, but he gives the FO's statements too much credence at times. Difficult for someone to crack the top six, health pending? Richie James is slated to be the third receiver, a spot that many teams view as a starter. In three years, he has 38 receptions, three TDs, and has never cracked 400 yards in a season. Of his career production, almost 24% of his receptions, almost 27% of his yards, and 33% of his TDs came in a single game. I suppose that's somewhat comforting as we know he's at least capable of taking over a game, but the following week he vanished again. And it's all downhill from there.

Trent Sherfield has 28 receptions and one TD in a three-year career. Jalen Hurd has back issues, is coming off a torn ACL, and has never played in an NFL game. And Travis Benjamin will turn 32 this season, and has combined for 18 receptions since 2018 (granted he opted out last year). There will be PLENTY of guys cut this offseason who could slide into our #3 role, to say nothing of four through six. Hopefully we pick up one or two of them.

If Hurd is able to play, we maybe have a shot at not having the thinnest receiving corps in the league, but that's only if Samuel actually stays healthy.

I am frustrated to no end by the team's failure to add a WR in the draft, but if you're going to do that, add two in UDFA. Go get Cade Johnson before the Hawks (got to think he'd be more willing to sign with the Niners given their depth and the fact that the Hawks used their first pick on a similar WR). Or get another big guy to compete with Hurd and Jennings. Doug Pederson's son is nothing more than a camp body, and a pretty poor one at that. Go get a guy with a shot of cracking the roster at WR.

I'd say the receiver rankings on the roster are Kittle, Samual, Aiyuk and that to me is a pretty strong top 3. While many teams in the NFL consider the #3 WR a starter those teams don't tend to run as much and don't have a TE like Kittle. That said, I do agree that the 49ers WR corps has a LOT of questions to answer. We know they love Hurd for his potential and they have loyalty to James so those 4 make sense to me to be "locks" ... after that my only hope is Jennings and Walker absolutely kill it in camp and take the last 2 spots. It wasn't a very strong WR draft of the kind of players the 49ers like which meant that the value wasn't at that position so I'm okay with the draft choices. At this point at WR like at every other position we have to hope for health.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#528 » by Scoots1994 » Sat May 8, 2021 2:16 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Yeah, Deebo can play slot.

Lol I just can't fathom how that dude will be able to play & not be susceptible to injury. Desean Jackson is listed as 175lbs & staying healthy has been an issue for him for someone his size. Even if Tutu we're to add say another 10-15lbs (165-170), it's gonna be difficult for him.

Look at his legs ... it's ALL speed and quickness and no power. He has to be playing to avoid contact to survive and some guys that just makes their game fall apart. The first time a 4.5 40 running 250lb LB gets a clean hit on a jet sweep we'll see how he bounces back. History is not in his favor as little lightning in a bottle NFL players don't tend to have long healthy careers.

It's too funny that he bulked up for getting weighed and managed to get to 155. I bet mid season in a tough hot game in college he probably dropped into the 130s.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#529 » by Scoots1994 » Sat May 8, 2021 7:57 pm

Jimmie Ward, Tarvarius Moore, and Jaquiski Tartt are locks at S, Hufanga takes a spot ... then we have a bunch of ... stuff. How many safeties to they keep? Any other promising players after those 4?
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#530 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun May 9, 2021 6:14 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Yeah, Deebo can play slot.

I thought Atwell was shorter than he is, but he's basically 5'9" (I realize that's still on the shorter side), and less than an inch shorter than Jackson (who I thought was closer to 6' for some reason). I don't think they see Atwell as a slot guy, but as an outside, downfield threat. I'd imagine they'd also try to use him on some gadget stuff. It will be interesting to see how he pans out. I can't think of any successful receivers in the NFL who are that size. Marquise Brown was the smallest guy in a while, and even he's 166. Atwell's weight is in the zero percentile. Guys in the 5th percentile outweigh him by 20 pounds.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#531 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun May 9, 2021 6:25 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/49ers-53-man-roster-projection-after-2021-nfl-draft

Making the cut: Deebo Samuel, Brandon Aiyuk, Richie James, Trent Sherfield, Jalen Hurd, Travis Benjamin

On 90-man roster: Mohamed Sanu, River Cracraft, Kevin White, Jauan Jennings, Austin Proehl, Austin Watkins Jr.

Coach Kyle Shanahan downplayed the 49ers’ need at wide receiver last week. The 49ers' streak of drafting a wide receiver for 18 consecutive years came to an end. In the later rounds, Shanahan said it would have been difficult for any draft pick to make the roster because the 49ers already had six or more NFL-caliber wide receivers. Watkins, an undrafted rookie from UAB, has a chance. But it figures to be difficult for anyone to crack the top six — as long as those ticketed for roster spots remain healthy.

Maiocco is great, but he gives the FO's statements too much credence at times. Difficult for someone to crack the top six, health pending? Richie James is slated to be the third receiver, a spot that many teams view as a starter. In three years, he has 38 receptions, three TDs, and has never cracked 400 yards in a season. Of his career production, almost 24% of his receptions, almost 27% of his yards, and 33% of his TDs came in a single game. I suppose that's somewhat comforting as we know he's at least capable of taking over a game, but the following week he vanished again. And it's all downhill from there.

Trent Sherfield has 28 receptions and one TD in a three-year career. Jalen Hurd has back issues, is coming off a torn ACL, and has never played in an NFL game. And Travis Benjamin will turn 32 this season, and has combined for 18 receptions since 2018 (granted he opted out last year). There will be PLENTY of guys cut this offseason who could slide into our #3 role, to say nothing of four through six. Hopefully we pick up one or two of them.

If Hurd is able to play, we maybe have a shot at not having the thinnest receiving corps in the league, but that's only if Samuel actually stays healthy.

I am frustrated to no end by the team's failure to add a WR in the draft, but if you're going to do that, add two in UDFA. Go get Cade Johnson before the Hawks (got to think he'd be more willing to sign with the Niners given their depth and the fact that the Hawks used their first pick on a similar WR). Or get another big guy to compete with Hurd and Jennings. Doug Pederson's son is nothing more than a camp body, and a pretty poor one at that. Go get a guy with a shot of cracking the roster at WR.

I'd say the receiver rankings on the roster are Kittle, Samual, Aiyuk and that to me is a pretty strong top 3. While many teams in the NFL consider the #3 WR a starter those teams don't tend to run as much and don't have a TE like Kittle. That said, I do agree that the 49ers WR corps has a LOT of questions to answer. We know they love Hurd for his potential and they have loyalty to James so those 4 make sense to me to be "locks" ... after that my only hope is Jennings and Walker absolutely kill it in camp and take the last 2 spots. It wasn't a very strong WR draft of the kind of players the 49ers like which meant that the value wasn't at that position so I'm okay with the draft choices. At this point at WR like at every other position we have to hope for health.

As a top three, it's pretty solid. Squarely within the middle of starting receiver groups in the league, probably. But all three of those guys have missed time with injury. Samuel has missed a lot, and Kittle has missed some time every year. And the cupboard is basically bare behind them.

I just can't put any faith in Hurd at this point. Like with Ford, if he ever plays a(nother) snap for the Niners, it will be a pleasant surprise. I'm assuming you mean Watkins and not Walker. I'm hoping he can develop into the Bourne role, but he's a rookie UDFA and unlikely to have much impact this year. Jennings was considered a steal in the 7th last year, but he's also that sort of bigger, slower guy that has struggled in the league of late. My view is that we need to be monitoring the waiver wire and looking to address this position, probably throughout the season.

I was going to say something about Kevin White possibly putting something together and still being a young player, but the dude is about to turn 29. He was 24 before he played an NFL snap. That's crazy for a player drafted so high. He was always a total longshot anyway; couldn't contribute for the team last year and we had River Cracraft getting meaningful snaps. But at least he had some talent at one point. More than you can say for anyone else on the roster.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#532 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun May 9, 2021 6:27 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:Jimmie Ward, Tarvarius Moore, and Jaquiski Tartt are locks at S, Hufanga takes a spot ... then we have a bunch of ... stuff. How many safeties to they keep? Any other promising players after those 4?

Four safeties sounds about right to me, unless they view Hufanga solely as a STs player.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#533 » by Scoots1994 » Mon May 10, 2021 1:29 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

As a top three, it's pretty solid. Squarely within the middle of starting receiver groups in the league, probably. But all three of those guys have missed time with injury. Samuel has missed a lot, and Kittle has missed some time every year. And the cupboard is basically bare behind them.

I just can't put any faith in Hurd at this point. Like with Ford, if he ever plays a(nother) snap for the Niners, it will be a pleasant surprise. I'm assuming you mean Watkins and not Walker. I'm hoping he can develop into the Bourne role, but he's a rookie UDFA and unlikely to have much impact this year. Jennings was considered a steal in the 7th last year, but he's also that sort of bigger, slower guy that has struggled in the league of late. My view is that we need to be monitoring the waiver wire and looking to address this position, probably throughout the season.

I was going to say something about Kevin White possibly putting something together and still being a young player, but the dude is about to turn 29. He was 24 before he played an NFL snap. That's crazy for a player drafted so high. He was always a total longshot anyway; couldn't contribute for the team last year and we had River Cracraft getting meaningful snaps. But at least he had some talent at one point. More than you can say for anyone else on the roster.

I agree. Need to keep an eye on who is available, but there is also a limit on how much they can spend on WR depth so they are not likely to get a 3rd WR in free agency that isn't going to have some serious issues of his own.

It's all about health.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#534 » by Scoots1994 » Mon May 10, 2021 1:30 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:Jimmie Ward, Tarvarius Moore, and Jaquiski Tartt are locks at S, Hufanga takes a spot ... then we have a bunch of ... stuff. How many safeties to they keep? Any other promising players after those 4?

Four safeties sounds about right to me, unless they view Hufanga solely as a STs player.

Considering injury history it's light to me at 4.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#535 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon May 10, 2021 2:55 pm

RICHARD SHERMAN
DB, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT

Free agent Richard Sherman has "been in talks" with the 49ers about a possible return.

Sherman has also talked with the Seahawks and has interest from the Saints and Raiders. There's nothing imminent, but returning to the 49ers remains in play for the 33-year-old. Sherman's market should start to heat up over the coming weeks.
SOURCE: Sacramento Bee

May 8, 2021, 12:03 PM ET
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#536 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue May 11, 2021 5:24 pm

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but Maiocco reviewing opponents this year:

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/nfl-schedule-release-2021-49ers-opponents-breakdown-analysis

Outside the division, it's a pretty favorable schedule. Bengals, Texans, Falcons, Lions, Eagles, Jags. Lots of very winnable games in there.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#537 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed May 12, 2021 6:05 pm

Grant Cohn (I know, I know) with a couple worthwhile reads on the third QB:

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/why-the-san-francisco-49ers-should-keep-josh-rosen

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/nate-sudfelds-role-on-the-san-francisco-49ers

It's an interesting argument, and one that I hope he's right on. Basically, he thinks the Niners may have signed Sudfeld to be their practice squad and scout team QB, leaving the third active roster spot open for Rosen. That would explain the curiously large signing bonus for Sudfeld, because the team already knew they were going to cut him and may have even told him as much. However, they don't want Lance running the scout team, and they know that's something Sudfeld can do well because of his time with Scangarello.

I am relieved the team didn't put their eggs in the Rosen basket this offseason, but he's still a young player with upside at the most valuable position in sports. It makes a ton of sense to hang onto him, try to develop him, and see if they've either got a good backup, or possibly a trade piece that could net some quality picks.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#538 » by Jikkle » Wed May 12, 2021 7:47 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Grant Cohn (I know, I know) with a couple worthwhile reads on the third QB:

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/why-the-san-francisco-49ers-should-keep-josh-rosen

It's an interesting argument, and one that I hope he's right on. Basically, he thinks the Niners may have signed Sudfeld to be their practice squad and scout team QB, leaving the third active roster spot open for Rosen. That would explain the curiously large signing bonus for Sudfeld, because the team already knew they were going to cut him and may have even told him as much. However, they don't want Lance running the scout team, and they know that's something Sudfeld can do well because of his time with Scangarello.

I am relieved the team didn't put their eggs in the Rosen basket this offseason, but he's still a young player with upside at the most valuable position in sports. It makes a ton of sense to hang onto him, try to develop him, and see if they've either got a good backup, or possibly a trade piece that could net some quality picks.

That's my view of Rosen as well in that hopefully he'll be quality depth and maybe he can rehab his value enough to make him worth trading. They obviously like Rosen because they got to know him for a couple of weeks and still chose to resign him so I see him making the roster.

I feel their dream scenario is Lance is ready week 1, they trade Jimmy for whatever, and it's Lance, Rosen, Sudfeld on the roster with Johnson as practice squad QB.

While I don't think it's likely it wouldn't shock me if they make a run at Julio Jones and they would need to clear Jimmy's money off the books to do that.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#539 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed May 12, 2021 7:53 pm

Jikkle wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Grant Cohn (I know, I know) with a couple worthwhile reads on the third QB:

That's my view of Rosen as well in that hopefully he'll be quality depth and maybe he can rehab his value enough to make him worth trading. They obviously like Rosen because they got to know him for a couple of weeks and still chose to resign him so I see him making the roster.

I feel their dream scenario is Lance is ready week 1, they trade Jimmy for whatever, and it's Lance, Rosen, Sudfeld on the roster with Johnson as practice squad QB.

While I don't think it's likely it wouldn't shock me if they make a run at Julio Jones and they would need to clear Jimmy's money off the books to do that.

I don't think they'll be content to trade Garoppolo for whatever. I think they believe he's worth a high pick, and they'll view this year in part as a way for him to rehabilitate his value. I don't think they'll move him just to move him, and there isn't a team that could absorb his contract at present.

As for Julio, I just don't see that we have the ammo to trade for him. We'd need one of those number ones that went to Miami. And frankly, tempting as it is, between the trade expense and the contract, I don't know that trading for Julio makes sense for us.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#540 » by Scoots1994 » Wed May 12, 2021 9:28 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:I don't think they'll be content to trade Garoppolo for whatever. I think they believe he's worth a high pick, and they'll view this year in part as a way for him to rehabilitate his value. I don't think they'll move him just to move him, and there isn't a team that could absorb his contract at present.

As for Julio, I just don't see that we have the ammo to trade for him. We'd need one of those number ones that went to Miami. And frankly, tempting as it is, between the trade expense and the contract, I don't know that trading for Julio makes sense for us.

Yeah, I'm not clicking on a Grant Cohn link :)

I agree though, they really do want Jimmy to have a good year and THEN trade him. If he goes 6-2 to start this year and someone comes with a HUGE deal they'd trade him if Lance is looking good in practice, but all the talk of them wanting to trade Jimmy as soon as they traded for 3 was just stupid.

Return to San Francisco 49ers