Post#2 » by thesack12 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:12 am

Lets goooo!!!

We need to get Trey a nickname
tres
Sophomore
And1: 208

Re: The Trey Lance thread 

Post#3 » by tres » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:21 am

This thread gonna turn out even funnier then the “Jimmy G to SF” thread. Traded all those picks for a kid who ran all over D2 Colleges LOL smh.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,183

Post#4 » by clyde21 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:42 am

thesack12 wrote:Lets goooo!!!

Trey Area
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,183

Post#5 » by clyde21 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:43 am

tres wrote:This thread gonna turn out even funnier then the “Jimmy G to SF” thread. Traded all those picks for a kid who ran all over D2 Colleges LOL smh.

tres
Sophomore
And1: 208

Post#6 » by tres » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:46 am

clyde21 wrote:
tres wrote:This thread gonna turn out even funnier then the “Jimmy G to SF” thread. Traded all those picks for a kid who ran all over D2 Colleges LOL smh.

I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#7 » by I_am_1z » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:19 am

Should have selected Justin Fields, but I'm interested in Trey Lance. Kyle wants to fill his ego building a QB from scratch. Really doesn't take much to run Shanny's offense. More interested in what we'll get tomorrow for the secondary
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#8 » by thesack12 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:38 am

Read on Twitter
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#9 » by CalamityX12 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:10 am

clyde21 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:Lets goooo!!!

Trey Area

Copyright that asap
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#10 » by CalamityX12 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:11 am

Welcome to the Bay!!!!

This is going to be pretty exciting... Trey will be a baller for us and turn heads all around... i believe in that, with the weapons around him, the pressure isn’t there yet... he’ll go through ups and downs but we’ll be too good to be down early...

Lets go!
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 816

Post#11 » by arich35 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:32 am

I wonder how long until he is starting
thesack12
RealGM

Post#12 » by thesack12 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:53 am

Link to the full post pick presser with John & Kyle

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#13 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:57 am

Posted this in the draft thread, but I'll post it here, too:

Pretty torn on this one. I'm on record earlier in this thread saying I didn't view Lance as a first rounder, and I still have a lot of the reservations that led me to say that. That said, I do have a fair bit of faith in Shanahan to coach a talented player up, and I'm relieved we've got a guy with tremendous upside over a guy with a more limited upside in Jones.

That's the buzzword for Lance. He has huge upside. He could be that transcendent guy you need to be competitive in the league with a QB on a second or third contract. He's very physically gifted. Big arm, but can also layer it, throw with touch, make all the throws. Good runner, big, fast. He's supposed to be a unique kid. Super smart. Dedicated. Got a little bit of a chip based on his college recruitment process. I don't doubt that he'll work his butt off. But I've got major questions, too.

First and foremost, I have big questions about his accuracy. He just wasn't a consistently good thrower in college. He had frequent misfires that just weren't even close. And even his on-target balls weren't pinpoint to allow for running after the catch. Beyond that, the level of competition just wasn't even in the same universe as the teams Fields was playing. Any one of the defenders Fields faced would have been the best player for Lance's opponents. The PFF guys were talking about how he had so many yards after contact, but what was the quality of the contact? He was running through 200-pound LBs. Fields actually moves better IMO - arguably not in the pocket, but in the open field. And Fields is so much more accurate.

So it comes down to the stuff I can't really assess. Is he truly a football savant? Is his recognition that much better than Fields'? Was he making all the calls and protections at the line? If they think he is/can, then that's awesome and I really hope they're right. Me? I think Fields is the much safer prospect, and has every bit as much upside if not more. And his greatest strength - accuracy/ball placement - is arguably Lance's biggest weakness. And it's a huge one IMO.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#14 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:01 am

I'm choosing to be optimistic about this. The upside is there, and Shanahan should be able to create larger throwing windows, at least relative to other NFL offenses. The mental piece has be to significant, or I just can't see taking Lance over Fields, so hopefully that's enough to make a difference. But man, the possibility of trading just a third this year and snagging Fields instead of two firsts and a third for Lance will irritate me unless/until Lance becomes the clearly better player.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#15 » by thesack12 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:43 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:I'm choosing to be optimistic about this. The upside is there, and Shanahan should be able to create larger throwing windows, at least relative to other NFL offenses. The mental piece has be to significant, or I just can't see taking Lance over Fields, so hopefully that's enough to make a difference. But man, the possibility of trading just a third this year and snagging Fields instead of two firsts and a third for Lance will irritate me unless/until Lance becomes the clearly better player.

With Wilson off the board Fields was my #1 target as well. However, we'll never know what kind of butterfly effects would have occurred on draft night if Frisco had not traded into #3 a month ago.

I think its pretty fair to think that Frisco sitting at #3 had quite a bit of influence on both Carolina trading for Darnold & and Denver trading for Bridgewater. Had just one of those teams not traded away assets & used cap space to bring in another QB, I think its probable they would have drafted a QB, perhaps even both of them would have.

We'll also never know what kind of effect the 49ers moving into #3 many weeks ago, had on other teams' pre-draft processes. I can easily see scenarios for a few teams, where they felt like Fields was never going to make it to their pick, so they didn't do deep dives on them. In Carolina's case, the Darnold trade could have had this same effect as well. With Darnold in the fold, they might not have vetted Fields thoroughly. Could also see a teams like New England and Washington thinking Fields was gonna be long gone before their picks so they didn't do extensive research on Fields. And Since they didn't do a ton of background on Justin, they didn't feel comfortable making the trade up to get him even though he was falling down the board a bit.

All that said, with what we know now to be fact, it sure seems like 9ers could have stayed at 12 going into the draft then made a smaller move up the board to grab Fields. That type of move would have been cheaper than the one they did make, so that stings. Couple that with the notion that Fields was a lot us on the board's #1 target, which doubly stings. Still, I'm not sure they could have only sacrificed a 3rd just to move up a couple spots and get Fields. If 9ers stayed at 12, I think they would have at least needed to move up to Detroit's #7 to jump Carolina & Denver. I'm speculating that would have at least cost a 2022 1st, because with 3 QB's (Lance, Fields, Jones) still on the board at that time there would have been a bit of a bidding war in order to get ahead of the QB needy teams @ 8 and 9.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#16 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:05 pm

Yes, I'm using pretty blatant hindsight in the trading a third comparison, as we know that Philly was able to move from 12 to 10 for that. But more likely they would have been looking at a trade up to six with Philly, giving up a first next year. Still, that's a lot less than we did give up to get to three.

As said, I'm going to be optimistic, but I've been reviewing some Lance film and there is a fair bit in there that scares me. I just don't think the accuracy piece can be overstated. The list of failed NFL QBs who had big arms but couldn't consistently put the ball where it needed to go is long, while the list of NFL QBs who markedly improved their accuracy from college to the pros is very short. That said, Lance didn't have last year to improve his accuracy. I didn't grind a ton of Fields' 2019 tape, but he was noticeably more accurate in 2020. Maybe Lance would have made a similar improvement if he'd had the whole season. But that's part of the significant risk with Lance. We just don't know.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,695

Post#17 » by Warriorfan » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:25 pm

Time will tell.

Will Lance be 2 firsts and all the potential deals off those picks be better than Fields I have serious doubts.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#18 » by thesack12 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:40 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Yes, I'm using pretty blatant hindsight in the trading a third comparison, as we know that Philly was able to move from 12 to 10 for that. But more likely they would have been looking at a trade up to six with Philly, giving up a first next year. Still, that's a lot less than we did give up to get to three.

As said, I'm going to be optimistic, but I've been reviewing some Lance film and there is a fair bit in there that scares me. I just don't think the accuracy piece can be overstated. The list of failed NFL QBs who had big arms but couldn't consistently put the ball where it needed to go is long, while the list of NFL QBs who markedly improved their accuracy from college to the pros is very short. That said, Lance didn't have last year to improve his accuracy. I didn't grind a ton of Fields' 2019 tape, but he was noticeably more accurate in 2020. Maybe Lance would have made a similar improvement if he'd had the whole season. But that's part of the significant risk with Lance. We just don't know.

I hear ya, and Trey certainly comes with some concerns.

Regarding if Trey was able to play another season and improve on his accuracy, lets take 2020 completely out of the question because it was entirely out of his control if he was able to play or not. So instead, lets use the hypothetical that he stayed at NDS and played next season there and indeed did shore up his accuracy.

If that happens, its not outlandish to think that he very well could have went #1 overall in the 2022 draft.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,568

Post#19 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:41 pm

tres wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Interest a guy with Kap as his avatar is complaining about the pick. Worst case this guy looks like he will be a better Kaep.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using RealGM mobile app
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#20 » by Dodub » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:00 pm

clyde21 wrote:

This is your funniest post ever lol

Return to San Francisco 49ers