Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 941

Re: The Trey Lance thread 

Post#261 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:04 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
Jikkle wrote:I'm of the mindset he should start week 1.

He's raw and it'll be bumpy at first but I just feel the issues he has are best addressed with game reps and experience.

He could grow from the bench so I don't hate the idea that he sits but I feel he'll grow more and develop faster playing.

The roster has Super Bowl aspirations but I have little confidence in Jimmy G to lead this team to the Super Bowl and win it. Yes he did in 2019 but he was a bystander in most of the playoffs and the division is much tougher in this season compared to 19 so I just don't think we can ride the 2019 formula to win it all. It's not just our division but Tampa has a great defense, the Packers are a better team than they were in 19, and the NFC is just overall better than it was in 19.

With that said any reps that Jimmy G a guy who isn't on the team after this season takes are a waste and the sooner Lance plays in games and starts to grow the better long term. And long term isn't limited to beyond this season because I feel if he starts week 1 by the time week 18 and the playoffs roll around he'd make some noticeable strides in his play.

I tend to agree. Lance's shortcomings appear to be the type that he'll need to play to iron out. He needs to work on his internal clock, on working through progressions quickly, on trusting his eyes (avoiding the double-clutch on the INT this week, for instance), on moving in - and, if necessary, fleeing - the pocket. He can develop those to a degree from the sideline, but not nearly to the same extent that he can if he's actually in games. He seems to be a quick study, and not inclined to repeat the same mistake over and over (like some other QBs I could name....), so hopefully as the season progresses, he begins to operate at a high level.

The other concern is that, once the regular season begins, the backup QB just doesn't get the snaps that he needs to develop. He's often relegated to running the scout team. You'd hope with a guy like Lance, Shanahan would break from custom a bit, but then you're taking snaps away from the starter, which is also problematic.

Keep in mind it is preseason. It isn't only offenses playing vanilla and keeping things simple. Defenses are too. If Lance starts early no doubt defense coaches will do more to confuse Lance and try and capitalize on his inexperience.

That's absolutely true, though the Chiefs seemed to be doing a lot more blitzing and disguising their coverages than you would normally see in the preseason. But it worked pretty well for them. Lance was looking pretty lost toward the end of his run, repeatedly throwing it to defenders.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 260

Post#262 » by Jikkle » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:29 am

Pattersonca65 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
Jikkle wrote:I'm of the mindset he should start week 1.

He's raw and it'll be bumpy at first but I just feel the issues he has are best addressed with game reps and experience.

He could grow from the bench so I don't hate the idea that he sits but I feel he'll grow more and develop faster playing.

The roster has Super Bowl aspirations but I have little confidence in Jimmy G to lead this team to the Super Bowl and win it. Yes he did in 2019 but he was a bystander in most of the playoffs and the division is much tougher in this season compared to 19 so I just don't think we can ride the 2019 formula to win it all. It's not just our division but Tampa has a great defense, the Packers are a better team than they were in 19, and the NFC is just overall better than it was in 19.

With that said any reps that Jimmy G a guy who isn't on the team after this season takes are a waste and the sooner Lance plays in games and starts to grow the better long term. And long term isn't limited to beyond this season because I feel if he starts week 1 by the time week 18 and the playoffs roll around he'd make some noticeable strides in his play.

I tend to agree. Lance's shortcomings appear to be the type that he'll need to play to iron out. He needs to work on his internal clock, on working through progressions quickly, on trusting his eyes (avoiding the double-clutch on the INT this week, for instance), on moving in - and, if necessary, fleeing - the pocket. He can develop those to a degree from the sideline, but not nearly to the same extent that he can if he's actually in games. He seems to be a quick study, and not inclined to repeat the same mistake over and over (like some other QBs I could name....), so hopefully as the season progresses, he begins to operate at a high level.

The other concern is that, once the regular season begins, the backup QB just doesn't get the snaps that he needs to develop. He's often relegated to running the scout team. You'd hope with a guy like Lance, Shanahan would break from custom a bit, but then you're taking snaps away from the starter, which is also problematic.

Keep in mind it is preseason. It isn't only offenses playing vanilla and keeping things simple. Defenses are too. If Lance starts early no doubt defense coaches will do more to confuse Lance and try and capitalize on his inexperience.

Tends to work both ways as yes defenses will throw more at him but Shanahan would have a different game plan that plays to Lance's strengths whereas it seems intentional he wasn't trying to make Lance look good in the preseason but get him work in the areas he was weakest at.

The only reason I'd sit Lance is if his mechanics were still in a place that it's not muscle memory for him yet and you don't want him to relapse into poor mechanics in the head of the moment. That might still be the case so I wouldn't cry foul if he sits and it's not the end of the world if he sits as it's still a positive but it's just makes the process take longer is all.

I'm just not one to subscribe to the notion we'd ruin him mentally if we start him too soon. To me most QBs fail because they didn't have "it" in the first place and/or they get stuck in a terrible situation with a terrible organization that has terrible support for them in terms of roster and coaching. Lance seems so far to have the "it" factor and he'd have a strong support system around him so I'd have no qualms about putting him out there and not worrying about ruining him.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#263 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:11 pm

Jikkle wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

Tends to work both ways as yes defenses will throw more at him but Shanahan would have a different game plan that plays to Lance's strengths whereas it seems intentional he wasn't trying to make Lance look good in the preseason but get him work in the areas he was weakest at.

The only reason I'd sit Lance is if his mechanics were still in a place that it's not muscle memory for him yet and you don't want him to relapse into poor mechanics in the head of the moment. That might still be the case so I wouldn't cry foul if he sits and it's not the end of the world if he sits as it's still a positive but it's just makes the process take longer is all.

I'm just not one to subscribe to the notion we'd ruin him mentally if we start him too soon. To me most QBs fail because they didn't have "it" in the first place and/or they get stuck in a terrible situation with a terrible organization that has terrible support for them in terms of roster and coaching. Lance seems so far to have the "it" factor and he'd have a strong support system around him so I'd have no qualms about putting him out there and not worrying about ruining him.

That's a good point. I think you can ruin a guy mentally and/or physically by putting them out there too early or with too little around them - IMO, it's a real testament to Alex Smith that he put together the career that he did after what he went through in his first several years both in terms of the mental rigor and the serious injury to his throwing arm - but that's often because the top picks have garbage supporting casts and put too much on those guys' shoulders before they're ready.

Lance shouldn't be in that situation. He has what is probably one of the best supporting casts that a top-5 QB has ever played with (maybe the best?), and a coach who can design an offense that takes a lot of pressure off him - Shanahan has been doing that for Garoppolo for years. And Lance will make things easier on himself just because of who he is. Defenses will be stressed simply because they have to worry about the deep balls, the outs, Lance scrambling, option running plays, etc. It's just a completely different playbook with a guy like Lance behind center, and it will make defenses slow down as they are forced to process more things.

I can live with a little more Garoppolo, especially if he plays well and builds up some trade value, but I would also be happy to see Lance step out there week one and see where he can take us.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#264 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:15 pm

Jikkle wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

IDK that Lance has the " it " factor yet. He does have some great physical qualities but still has accuracy and other issues he needs to work through.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#265 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:19 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Jikkle wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

That's a good point. I think you can ruin a guy mentally and/or physically by putting them out there too early or with too little around them - IMO, it's a real testament to Alex Smith that he put together the career that he did after what he went through in his first several years both in terms of the mental rigor and the serious injury to his throwing arm - but that's often because the top picks have garbage supporting casts and put too much on those guys' shoulders before they're ready.

Lance shouldn't be in that situation. He has what is probably one of the best supporting casts that a top-5 QB has ever played with (maybe the best?), and a coach who can design an offense that takes a lot of pressure off him - Shanahan has been doing that for Garoppolo for years. And Lance will make things easier on himself just because of who he is. Defenses will be stressed simply because they have to worry about the deep balls, the outs, Lance scrambling, option running plays, etc. It's just a completely different playbook with a guy like Lance behind center, and it will make defenses slow down as they are forced to process more things.

I can live with a little more Garoppolo, especially if he plays well and builds up some trade value, but I would also be happy to see Lance step out there week one and see where he can take us.

I may be a bit less sure about the supporting cast than you are. I like some of the pieces on offense especially wide receiver and running backs but the offensive line I am not 100% sold on yet, especially their pass blocking. It was not good last year. They have new lineman. It may be ok as long as there are no injuries but we will have to see. And pass blocking directly affects the QB
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,227

Post#266 » by thesack12 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:12 pm

I think we can draw some parallels, from Josh Allen. Like Lance, Allen was a prototypical QB prospect from a physical standpoint with + measureables across the board. Both guys came from a lesser college program thus hadn't faced much high level competition. Although Allen was at least D1. Accuracy was both of these guys #1 question mark.

Allen was not ready to play, but because Nate Peterman was historically terrible the Bills were forced to insert Allen almost immediately. It was a pretty bumpy road for Josh during his rookie year, he struggled for most of that season. He was steadier in his sophomore season, but had a terrible performance in the 1st round of the playoffs that year. His third year he finally spread his wings and flew high to an MVP caliber season.

We also need to factor in that Allen was more experienced coming into the league that Lance is.

Ideally Trey will hit the ground running, but I just don't think that is likely. Even Mahomes sat is entire rookie season, which obviously benefitted him. I can see Lance taking a similar career arc to Allen's first few years. The 49ers are built and ready to win now, I don't see how they can endure a rocky rookie season from Lance. They have a bunch of dudes on 1 year contracts, that they most likely will not be able to retain after this season. Windows don't stay open long in this league, you have to take advantage when your's is open.

Of course, none of what I'm saying means that Lance will indeed struggle if he becomes the starter. But realistically, his rookie season is more likely to look like Josh Allen's than Justin Herbert's.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#267 » by thesack12 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:18 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
Jikkle wrote:

I may be a bit less sure about the supporting cast than you are. I like some of the pieces on offense especially wide receiver and running backs but the offensive line I am not 100% sold on yet, especially their pass blocking. It was not good last year. They have new lineman. It may be ok as long as there are no injuries but we will have to see. And pass blocking directly affects the QB

Yeah the pass blocking of this O-line leaves quite a bit to be desired, especially the right side.

While you could make a case that factor would make Trey a better option due to his athleticism/elusiveness/escapability, you have to be careful. If you insert Trey early, and he's constantly under pressure he could develop some bad habits and instincts to look to run too early at the first sign of pressure.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#268 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:48 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:That's a good point. I think you can ruin a guy mentally and/or physically by putting them out there too early or with too little around them - IMO, it's a real testament to Alex Smith that he put together the career that he did after what he went through in his first several years both in terms of the mental rigor and the serious injury to his throwing arm - but that's often because the top picks have garbage supporting casts and put too much on those guys' shoulders before they're ready.

It's all relative. Teams with top-5 picks tend to be bad, especially teams that take a QB first overall (some good teams get high picks through trades the season before, but those teams are usually in good shape at QB). I agree that our OL in particular has some pretty big questions marks in terms of starters and depth. We're also thin at a number of other positions, including CB. But all teams have pretty significant question marks somewhere, and going into the season, we look pretty strong on paper outside of the uncertainties at QB.

Quick review of top-5 QBs over the past decade or so:

Trevor Lawrence - Jags are awful
Zach Wilson - Jets are awful
Lance - Niners have a SB-contending roster if the QB position clicks
Joe Burrow - Bengals were awful
Tua Tagovailoa - Dolphins were okay, improving quickly with a bunch of draft capital, but their OL was bad and their skill players only okay
Kyler Murray - Cards were okay, with QB their biggest weakness, but bad OL, mediocre skill players, bad defense
Baker Mayfield - Browns were awful
Sam Darnold - Jets were awful
Mitchell Trubisky - Bears were bad
Jared Goff - Rams traded up and were tolerable, but outside of Todd Gurley, their skill players were bad
Carson Wentz - Eagles also traded up and were okay on both sides of the ball, but not in the Niners' ballpark
Jameis Winston - Bucs were bad
Marcus Mariota - Titans were bad
Blake Bortles - Jags were awful
Andrew Luck - Colts were awful, but Luck was really good
Robert Griffin - Washington traded up and was okay, but not on Niners' level

I'll stop there listing every guy, but looking over the list earlier, it's pretty grim. Best I can find in the last two decades is probably the 2004 Giants. Kurt Warner started the year and went 5-4 before Eli came in and went 1-6.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#269 » by Jikkle » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:06 am

Reading Cohn's grades for the QBs today and sometimes he has some good takes and sometimes he has terrible eye rolling mistakes and today was the eye rolling kind.

His assessment of Trey's play is fine but the fact that he's not going to start week 1 despite the fact he was clearly raw coming out of college and needed to smooth out the rough spots doesn't mean the 9ers couldn't get him ready to start and just because Jimmy might be around another year doesn't mean they should've taken Mac Jones at 12. And no I don't buy into this talk that Kyle had to be talked into Lance and he wanted Jones because just watch today's game and it's clear why Kyle would want Lance despite the warts right now.

For starters Lance could start week 1 if they wanted to. I haven't seen anything to indicate he couldn't play week 1 it's just you'd have to deal with some growing pains but if Jimmy got injured tomorrow Lance would no question be in there.

Secondly this is a pick that you hope fills the most important position in probably all of sports for the next 15+ years. Who cares if he doesn't start in 2021 if ends up being a superstar for the next 15 years. Do you think Chiefs fans are upset that Mahomes didn't start his rookie year or Green Bay fans that Rodgers sat 3 years before he was a starter?

This all boils down to either Lance hits or misses. If he's a hit the amount it took to trade up to get the number 3 pick and the fact he didn't start in 2021 won't matter. In fact if he's a hit the trade will celebrated as a smart move and having him sit a season will be looked at as being wisely patient and developing him instead of rushing him on the field.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#270 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:09 pm

Jikkle wrote:Reading Cohn's grades for the QBs today and sometimes he has some good takes and sometimes he has terrible eye rolling mistakes and today was the eye rolling kind.

His assessment of Trey's play is fine but the fact that he's not going to start week 1 despite the fact he was clearly raw coming out of college and needed to smooth out the rough spots doesn't mean the 9ers couldn't get him ready to start and just because Jimmy might be around another year doesn't mean they should've taken Mac Jones at 12. And no I don't buy into this talk that Kyle had to be talked into Lance and he wanted Jones because just watch today's game and it's clear why Kyle would want Lance despite the warts right now.

For starters Lance could start week 1 if they wanted to. I haven't seen anything to indicate he couldn't play week 1 it's just you'd have to deal with some growing pains but if Jimmy got injured tomorrow Lance would no question be in there.

Secondly this is a pick that you hope fills the most important position in probably all of sports for the next 15+ years. Who cares if he doesn't start in 2021 if ends up being a superstar for the next 15 years. Do you think Chiefs fans are upset that Mahomes didn't start his rookie year or Green Bay fans that Rodgers sat 3 years before he was a starter?

This all boils down to either Lance hits or misses. If he's a hit the amount it took to trade up to get the number 3 pick and the fact he didn't start in 2021 won't matter. In fact if he's a hit the trade will celebrated as a smart move and having him sit a season will be looked at as being wisely patient and developing him instead of rushing him on the field.

I agree with this and I don't understand some of that fans that have stated that Lance has to start right away because the 49ers gave away so much draft capital for him. That is crazy. It is hopefully the next 15 or so years that matter. When the 49ers drafted him, Shanahan took the long view because he could. He doesn't have that same pressure to start him week one like some other teams do.

I also agree with the second point. If Lance succeeds no one is going to care about the draft capital to get him. Not at the QB position. But that draft capital does mean there are going to be high expectations for Lance in the future. He just can't be a serviceable or even good QB. He can't just be Kirk Cousins level good. The expectations are that he is going to be a franchise QB/Elite QB. Falling short of that and the pick and all that was given up for him will always be questioned. It isn't Lance's fault but high expectations have been placed on him.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#271 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:12 pm

Jikkle wrote:Reading Cohn's grades for the QBs today and sometimes he has some good takes and sometimes he has terrible eye rolling mistakes and today was the eye rolling kind.

Yeah, Cohn was at his worst in that article. Shades of Chris Simms tweeting that Mac Jones will be the pick because you don't take a guy who isn't ready to start at #3 overall. That's an asinine viewpoint. When you take a QB early - especially when you move up aggressively to do it - you take the guy who you think will have the better career. No one thinks Robert Griffin III was better than Aaron Rodgers because he started right away. Or that Josh Allen was a bad pick because he didn't start week one and struggled initially. Taking a QB early should be a waiting game.

That said, I think there is some room to question Shanahan's handling of Lance. He seemed to make things deliberately challenging for Lance. He dramatically limited his first team reps, and when he did give him reps, he didn't let him throw. In the preseason games, he dramatically limited Lance's ability to play to his strengths by forcing him to play almost exclusively from the pocket. I think some of those things - particularly forcing Lance to play from the pocket and work on his weaknesses - serve a purpose, but I also think a more balanced approach would have bolstered Lance's confidence a little bit.

Shanahan is a playcalling genius, but I question a lot of his decisions. He's super conservative, generally speaking. He goes overboard at times trying to hide things. You see that in his preseason handling of Lance. You also see it with Sudfeld, bizarrely enough. I get that we were arguably just trying to close out the game this week, but if we keep Sudfeld on the roster at the expense of a legit player at another position, I'm going to be furious. The dude has attempted 37 NFL passes, and has generally been bad doing so. He needs the experience. Instead, in almost a full half of football, he attempted two passes (bringing him to seven for the preseason). I've got to hope Shanahan was "hiding" what he can do so Sudfeld can stick on the practice squad, but I've also got to think the dude would have been safe on the PS even if you let him toss the ball a couple times.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#272 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:38 pm

Lance injured his hand and will miss a week or so. Competition over. Let's hope Jimmy can play well.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#273 » by thesack12 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:52 am

I watched the live stream of Cohn's instant reaction to the game. I generally find Grant to be entertaining, but I turned it off after like 10 minutes, because he was almost insufferable.

Dude was acting like the the season is already a complete waste, because Jimmy will open the season as the starter. As if Jimmy is Blaine Gabbert or something. Then he goes on a ridiculous long winded rant proclaiming the Lance pick to be a failure because Kyle isn't starting Trey week 1.

Part of me believes Grant has hot takes like these just to get clicks/attention, but he was extra amped up and bent out of shape last night so who knows.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#274 » by thesack12 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:02 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Lance injured his hand and will miss a week or so. Competition over. Let's hope Jimmy can play well.

Not terrible news, but not good news either. That could have been a lot worse, and there are 2 weeks before the season starts. So there is still hope Kyle can sprinkle in Trey vs the Lions if the situation presents itself.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 817

Post#275 » by arich35 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:39 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Lance injured his hand and will miss a week or so. Competition over. Let's hope Jimmy can play well.

If it will only be 7 days like they hope he will only miss a couple practices. They have most days this week off I believe
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#276 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:49 am

Sure, it's not that much time, but Garoppolo was already the odds on favorite to start, and this only cements that. I wouldn't be shocked if Lance starts, but it would be a surprise at this point.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#277 » by Jikkle » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:55 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Sure, it's not that much time, but Garoppolo was already the odds on favorite to start, and this only cements that. I wouldn't be shocked if Lance starts, but it would be a surprise at this point.

Yeah seems like Kyle is content with getting Lance in with his mix and match packages for now.

Fortunately for Lance he's going to basically miss two practices and the injury shouldn't cause him any issues getting ready for the Lions week 1.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#278 » by Jikkle » Wed Sep 1, 2021 8:12 am

thesack12 wrote:I watched the live stream of Cohn's instant reaction to the game. I generally find Grant to be entertaining, but I turned it off after like 10 minutes, because he was almost insufferable.

Dude was acting like the the season is already a complete waste, because Jimmy will open the season as the starter. As if Jimmy is Blaine Gabbert or something. Then he goes on a ridiculous long winded rant proclaiming the Lance pick to be a failure because Kyle isn't starting Trey week 1.

Part of me believes Grant has hot takes like these just to get clicks/attention, but he was extra amped up and bent out of shape last night so who knows.

He's constantly pumping out content so part of it might be a shtick like a Skip Bayless. If you want to stand out in a sea of commentators that parrot the same safe viewpoints you need to be sort of a heel and have unpopular opinions.

The problem with him is his opinions can go from just being the unpopular to being out right stupid like he has with some of his opinions lately.

Not just Cohn but the takes that Lance has to start because he was drafted #3 overall and we gave up a ton for him or that Kyle want Mac Jones all along but had to take Lance and now he's' sabotaging him are just asinine. Drafting Lance an investment you hope is for 15+ years and all you have to do is watch Lance do play action and the impact he has on the running game and it's easy to see why Kyle would want Lance.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,255

Post#279 » by wco81 » Wed Sep 1, 2021 2:22 pm

Heard that one of the doctors who talk about NFL injuries believes the chipped bone injury will take more than a week before Trey can play.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#280 » by Jikkle » Fri Sep 3, 2021 1:55 am

Return to San Francisco 49ers