ImageImageImageImageImage

2021 Season news/notes/discussion thread

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,250

Re: 2021 Season news/notes/discussion thread 

Post#161 » by wco81 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:37 am

Samurai wrote:Deebo and Warner will miss the week 13 game against Seattle. Next man up!

Hmm, how many rushes did Deebo have?

I don't recall the score but it was in the fourth quarter with the game somewhat in hand?
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#162 » by thesack12 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:17 pm

wco81 wrote:
Samurai wrote:Deebo and Warner will miss the week 13 game against Seattle. Next man up!

Hmm, how many rushes did Deebo have?

I don't recall the score but it was in the fourth quarter with the game somewhat in hand?

I don't love giving Deebo so many carries out of the backfield and have been vocal about it.

However, the particular play that Deebo got hurt on took place with 1:30 left in the 3rd quarter and 9ers were only up by 5 at the time. So the game was definitely not in the bag.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#163 » by thesack12 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:21 pm

Damn.

Not having their best offensive player and 2nd best defensive player going into Seattle is going to be tough to overcome.

I know Seattle is reeling and will be coming off a short week, but the Hawks seem to have Frisco's number and have won 14 out of the last 16 meetings.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#164 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:45 pm

If we don't beat the Hawks, we don't deserve to make the playoffs. They just lost to a Washington team that has the worst pass D in the league. This is the sort of game that this team simply has to win if they want to make a legit playoff push.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#165 » by Samurai » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:08 pm

thesack12 wrote:

Damn.

Not having their best offensive player and 2nd best defensive player going into Seattle is going to be tough to overcome.

I know Seattle is reeling and will be coming off a short week, but the Hawks seem to have Frisco's number and have won 14 out of the last 16 meetings.

Even though the Hawks have been struggling, Wilson is still elite at throwing the deep ball, which aligns perfectly with the weakness we have in the secondary. A few big passes could be more than enough to give Seattle the W. And Wilson is still capable of picking up first downs with his legs on 3rd and 10; not having Warner patrolling the middle hurts us in those demoralizing scenarios.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#166 » by Samurai » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:16 pm

Warner being out could have an even bigger trickle down effect. Greenlaw suffered a core injury and is expected to be listed as doubtful and Harris is in concussion protocol. Al-Shaair would likely take Warner's spot but Greenlaw's spot and Al-Shaair's normal spot would be very problematic. Flannigan-Fowles likely gets a start, which by itself doesn't give me a lot of confidence. We will probably have to go with a lot more nickel packages, particularly since Hufanga plays a bit like a small linebacker anyways. But I can see Seattle running the ball often and effectively and our LB's being out of position when Wilson pulls it down and takes off.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#167 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Dec 1, 2021 1:10 am

The good news for us is that Wilson hasn't been throwing the deep ball well since coming back from the injury, and their run game has been awful. We absolutely cannot take this game lightly - and I can't see us doing so given that it's the Hawks - but we should win if we play even moderately well. That said, the Hawks' D has been playing pretty well recently.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#168 » by thesack12 » Wed Dec 1, 2021 3:06 am

Samurai wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

Damn.

Even though the Hawks have been struggling, Wilson is still elite at throwing the deep ball, which aligns perfectly with the weakness we have in the secondary. A few big passes could be more than enough to give Seattle the W. And Wilson is still capable of picking up first downs with his legs on 3rd and 10; not having Warner patrolling the middle hurts us in those demoralizing scenarios.

Yup, and to add more concern DK Metcalf has been very quiet since Wilson came back and Russ hasn't really been targeting him. However, today Wilson said they "need to get the ball to DK Metcalf."

So its likely they will feature Metcalf early and often, and he's a nightmare matchup for the 49ers.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#169 » by thesack12 » Wed Dec 1, 2021 3:16 am

In Sunday's game thread I mentioned that I could see Lance being deployed as a RB at some point this season.

With Deebo missing this week's game, I can envision Kyle possibly utilizing Trey in a couple of the type running plays he uses Deebo in. Not having Deebo is obviously a big blow to both the passing and running game, he's such a dynamic player. Kyle will need to get creative this week to try to replace some of that element to the offense.

Having both Jimmy and Trey on the field at the same time could create some very interesting wrinkles. One possible one being Kyle could utilize some delayed RPO stuff with Trey taking a handoff/toss from Jimmy. I can see that confusing the defense and possibly resulting in a big gainer on a pass.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#170 » by thesack12 » Fri Dec 3, 2021 5:14 pm

Read on Twitter

The 2 least wanted QB options for the 9ers top the list.

Also of note, Stafford played quite poorly last month.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#171 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Dec 3, 2021 9:31 pm

thesack12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

QB rating overstates the significance of completion percentage and the connected YPA number. Not to say that those are meaningless by any means, but it's not as complete a picture as some of the newer rating scales. Jimmy and Mac Jones have been very solid on successful teams, but they aren't asked to do nearly as much as a lot of the QBs who fall lower on the list.

That said, if his strong November gets us trade offers for Jimmy this offseason, I'll take it.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 816

Post#172 » by arich35 » Fri Dec 3, 2021 9:49 pm

This week is going to be tough with our injuries, missing two of our top guys
wco81
RealGM

Post#173 » by wco81 » Fri Dec 3, 2021 10:40 pm

There's been some talk that the 49ers could have drafted Jones without trading up.

Jones has played well but the Pats are playing well with the running game and defense causing a lot of turnovers.

Some more astute observers question the lack of arm talent. I think his numbers when throwing more than 20 yards downfield isn't so great.

Pats have a good system. Matt Cassell had a good year for them the one year Brady was injured. Jimmy has also had some very good games for them, which is why the 49ers gave up a second round pick -- probably an overpay.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#174 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Dec 3, 2021 11:45 pm

wco81 wrote:There's been some talk that the 49ers could have drafted Jones without trading up.

Jones has played well but the Pats are playing well with the running game and defense causing a lot of turnovers.

Some more astute observers question the lack of arm talent. I think his numbers when throwing more than 20 yards downfield isn't so great.

Pats have a good system. Matt Cassell had a good year for them the one year Brady was injured. Jimmy has also had some very good games for them, which is why the 49ers gave up a second round pick -- probably an overpay.

I think there's very little doubt they could have drafted Jones if they stayed put. I think they arguably could have gotten Lance without trading up, but obviously we'll never know. Certainly they could have had Fields with a much more modest trade up than the one they made.

I think it's very premature to anoint Jones as being better than Lance or any of the other QBs. He's in a great system, has a great defense to take the pressure off, good OL, and if not elite playmakers, a pretty deep and solid group. His team leans on the run. He isn't asked to do all that much. I'll be interested to see how he progresses. I thought he had enough arm to be a good NFL player, but he'll have to develop his deep ball the way Brady and Brees did. But he's smart, makes quick decisions, and is very accurate. Lance has plenty to prove to show that he's Jones' equal, much less better than him.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#175 » by thesack12 » Sat Dec 4, 2021 4:11 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

QB rating overstates the significance of completion percentage and the connected YPA number. Not to say that those are meaningless by any means, but it's not as complete a picture as some of the newer rating scales. Jimmy and Mac Jones have been very solid on successful teams, but they aren't asked to do nearly as much as a lot of the QBs who fall lower on the list.

That said, if his strong November gets us trade offers for Jimmy this offseason, I'll take it.

Of course it doesn't paint the entire picture but its worth noting. As is Jimmy having the 2nd highest yards/attempt and 7th highest QBR on the season.

As for Jimmy's trade value, there is going to be upwards of like 15 teams being in the QB market this offseason. If Jimmy can sustain his solid play and help the 9ers to a playoff berth, there will be teams making a play for him and his relatively cheap contract.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#176 » by thesack12 » Sat Dec 4, 2021 4:25 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
wco81 wrote:There's been some talk that the 49ers could have drafted Jones without trading up.

I think there's very little doubt they could have drafted Jones if they stayed put. I think they arguably could have gotten Lance without trading up, but obviously we'll never know. Certainly they could have had Fields with a much more modest trade up than the one they made.

I think it's very premature to anoint Jones as being better than Lance or any of the other QBs. He's in a great system, has a great defense to take the pressure off, good OL, and if not elite playmakers, a pretty deep and solid group. His team leans on the run. He isn't asked to do all that much. I'll be interested to see how he progresses. I thought he had enough arm to be a good NFL player, but he'll have to develop his deep ball the way Brady and Brees did. But he's smart, makes quick decisions, and is very accurate. Lance has plenty to prove to show that he's Jones' equal, much less better than him.

They for sure could have got Jones at 12. I highly doubt Lance would have made it that far. Carolina didn't pick up Darnold's option until the day after the 1st round. That coupled with the fact that they passed on both Field and Jones, shows that they were probably interested in Lance. Plus we'll never know what teams might have been interested in making a move up to get Lance if he was still on the board for picks 3-11. Bears traded up to 11 to get Fields, they very well could have done the same for Lance if he was still available.

As for Jones, I personally wanted nothing to do with him at #3. Still don't want him today. While Mac may be a little better than we'd thought he'd be this early, he's still the same guy we all thought he was. High floor/low ceiling type QB.

Even if Lance busts out, I'll still be fine with the pick over Jones. With a top 3 pick, I don't take the low ceiling/safe type of QB, I take the potential top 3 caliber QB. Especially considering all the resources they gave up to get to #3. And again considering they were looking for an upgrade on the solid QB they already had in house, it makes going for the moonshot prospect the only play.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#177 » by Jikkle » Sat Dec 4, 2021 5:33 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:

Impossible to tell but not so sure Jones would've been there at 12 if we stayed put.

I think there would've been a reasonable chance the Pats could've jumped up and grabbed him at that point given all the smoke around the 9ers taking him. Once the 9ers were out of the picture the Pats probably took a good gamble that he would've been there at 15.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#178 » by Jikkle » Mon Dec 6, 2021 3:52 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

The Seahawks game shows why football will always be more of an eyeball test kind of sport than a stats and analytics one.

All us fans that follow the team closely know that Jimmy G is efficient and effective when the running game is firing on all cylinders. He thrives when you keep his attempts around 20 and ask him to make a handful of impactful throws. If the running game is sputtering and the game falls primarily on his shoulders there is a marketed drop in his effectiveness.

It's why you draft a Trey Lance and not stick with Jimmy or draft a Mac Jones. Ideally you want the running game to be getting you 150 yards a game but you need a QB that can put the game on his shoulders and throw you to victory if the running game is stuffed. That's why you saw McVay dump Goff for Stafford because he needed a guy to where he didn't have to scheme it perfectly and call a perfect play for the offense to be functional.

It remains to be seen if Lance can be that guy but he definitely has the talent to and we'll have to wait and see what Mac Jones becomes. Because he's kind of in the same boat as Jimmy G in that the defense and running game have been strong so we really haven't seen him put a big game on his shoulders and thrive yet.
wco81
RealGM

Post#179 » by wco81 » Mon Dec 6, 2021 5:15 am

It's interesting, I happened to catch a bit of the NFL Matchup show on ESPN and they showed Jimmy hitting a WR in a tight window.

Greg Cossell says the 49ers passing game is limited to in between the hashes and Jimmy has been hitting some windows during their winning streak.

He also suggested Jennings might be able to do well in Deebo's absence because of his size.

Oh well.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#180 » by thesack12 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:16 am

Atlanta waived Wayne Gallman the other day.

I think the 9ers should most definitely pick him up. He's obviously familiar with the system, and he could provide some intel on Atlanta who they play next week.

When Elijah Mitchell isn't on the field, the run game struggles mightily. I like kinda Wilson, but he hasn't provided much since coming back from injury. It makes a lot of sense to bring in a guy like Gallman. He could be serviceable in spots.

Return to San Francisco 49ers