ImageImageImageImageImage

2021 Season news/notes/discussion thread

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Re: 2021 Season news/notes/discussion thread 

Post#121 » by Jikkle » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:42 pm

Some insight into what might be going on with the Aiyuk drama.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#122 » by thesack12 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:55 pm

Read on Twitter

*sigh*

This team is just relentlessly cursed with injuries.

We thought the O-line was terrible in pass protection before, but without Trent its probably going to be an unmitigated disaster. Buckner is gonna be a game wrecker.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#123 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:07 pm

Jikkle wrote:

Some insight into what might be going on with the Aiyuk drama.

Some fair points, and Aiyuk has to clean up his routes. Re: the "drop" in the endzone, though, the defender pretty clearly got his hand on the ball and deflected it. Really hard to catch a ball coming from that close when its trajectory changes four feet in front of you.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#124 » by Jikkle » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:34 am

Jimmy will be the starter against the Bears which I figured would be the case.

I've been in the start Lance camp for a while so I don't agree with that move but I understand it as they still are in the playoff hunt and they obviously believe they just need to clean up a couple of things and they can contend.

If they lose to the Bears though It's hard for me to see them not going to Lance at that point. Unless it's a game where Jimmy balls out and they lose a shootout but given how dysfunctional the Bears offense is right now it's tough for me to imagine that scenario happening.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#125 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:53 am

Report that the Niners turned down the Pats' offer of a second-round pick for Garoppolo. That was a mistake. They'll be lucky to get anything at this point. Not to mention they would have shed the contract.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 206

Post#126 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:02 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Report that the Niners turned down the Pats' offer of a second-round pick for Garoppolo. That was a mistake. They'll be lucky to get anything at this point. Not to mention they would have shed the contract.

From what others have posted it wasn't that simple. As part of the deal, the Patriots wanted to restructure Jimmy G's contract and according to reports the Patriots could not come to terms with Jimmy G on a new contract
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#127 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:45 pm

Yeah, it never is. Still, I would have jumped at the chance to move Jimmy for a second, even if it meant eating part of his contract.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,233

Post#128 » by wco81 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:56 pm

Kinlaw probably out for the season.

Smells like another bust.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#129 » by Samurai » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:56 am

Can someone tell me again why it was a great move to draft Kinlaw? We didn't need that spot for someone who would, you know, actually play football?
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#130 » by Jikkle » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:00 am

wco81 wrote:Kinlaw probably out for the season.

Smells like another bust.

I'm going to stay on the very cautiously optimistic side with him because unlike Solomon Thomas Kinlaw actually does have the physical tools to be elite.

However we're looking at the double whammy of a guy being raw and injury prone and that's never a great combination.

Judging from this past draft it seems like the team took a hard shift away from injury prone players so at least it seems they learned their lesson it's just they need to pick players that actually can play in NFL games instead of being healthy scratches.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#131 » by thesack12 » Mon Nov 1, 2021 5:09 pm

Of Interest for this week's Sunday night rematch with Arizona..

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I fully expect him to play, but if his mobility is hindered he is a whole lot easier to defend.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#132 » by thesack12 » Tue Nov 2, 2021 5:18 pm

Read on Twitter

Meh.

Hopefully that "late rounder" will be a 7th.

This trade coupled with Jordan Willis returning off suspension, will hopefully add a bit more juice to the pass rush. But, I doubt either guy is going to move the needle much at all.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#133 » by thesack12 » Tue Nov 2, 2021 5:25 pm

Read on Twitter

Obviously getting Kittle back is great news.
Gould doesn't have as big of a leg as Slye, but he's more reliable.
Wilson is an under-rated pass catcher. I assume his return will result in Sermon reverting back to gameday inactives.
Greenlaw will be a much welcomed return as well, but he's still probably at least 2 weeks away.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#134 » by Samurai » Fri Nov 5, 2021 6:38 pm

So should the Niners make a play for Odell Beckham Jr? While it is encouraging to see Aiyuk take a step forward in the Bears game, a combo of Deebo and OBJ could discourage safeties from jamming the box to stuff our running game. Of course, Shanahan may call too many running plays for OBJ's dad's preferences and Jimmy's lack of arm strength could certainly be the target of some nasty comments from OBJ's family as well and I'm sure Shanahan doesn't want/need that kind of drama in the clubhouse.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 816

Post#135 » by arich35 » Fri Nov 5, 2021 9:32 pm

Kittle back
Ward out, Tartt isn't on the injury report so I assume he is back.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#136 » by thesack12 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 2:21 pm

arich35 wrote:Kittle back
Ward out, Tartt isn't on the injury report so I assume he is back.

Tartt is on IR. He's not eligible to return until week 11
thesack12
RealGM

Post#137 » by thesack12 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 2:52 pm

Samurai wrote:So should the Niners make a play for Odell Beckham Jr? While it is encouraging to see Aiyuk take a step forward in the Bears game, a combo of Deebo and OBJ could discourage safeties from jamming the box to stuff our running game. Of course, Shanahan may call too many running plays for OBJ's dad's preferences and Jimmy's lack of arm strength could certainly be the target of some nasty comments from OBJ's family as well and I'm sure Shanahan doesn't want/need that kind of drama in the clubhouse.

The current regime, and even the past one, have long been interested in Odell.

Listening to the quotes from both Kyle & John lead you to believe that they are still interested Beckham. Its been reported that the Browns and OBJ have agreed to revise his current contract language that removes his final 2 years, making him a free agent this winter, and making the cap hit to claim him $7.3 mil this season.

That's a very steep price to absorb, especially for a player that has been quite unproductive the past few seasons, and really hasn't been an impact player since 2016.

At this point, I think OBJ carries more name brand value than actual production value. But that doesn't mean he can't still be a very nice player.

Still as mentioned Kyle and John still seem to be really into Odell. I'm not sure if there interest reaches the point putting in a waiver claim on him, or they would just want to sign him if he cleared waivers. Honestly, if they want him they would have to put in a claim because if OBJ reaches free agency I'd imagine he's have at least 5 other teams higher on his list.

Now if Odell actually became a 9er, I actually think he would fit in nicely. It would of course depend on how quickly he can pick up Kyle's offense.

I think he would he would be a good soldier here and give max effort. In fairness though, I think he will do that for any team he plays on the rest of the season, if for no other reason he will be looking for a new contract this winter. I'm sure he would also be quite motivated to show people he's not washed, and would want to stick it to Cleveland and perhaps Baker Mayfield specifically.

Skillset wise, Odell isn't the homerun hitter he once was, but he'd still be the biggest field stretching threat on the team. With that being the case, just having Odell run clear out routes from time to time, would open up a lot of coverages for Deebo/Kittle/Aiyuk. In turn having Deebo and Kittle demand double teams in the intermediate part of the field would give some Odell one on one opportunities down the field. OBJ is also capable of being the physical type receiver Kyle loves. I'd love to see what Kyle could scheme up for Odell.

So I can see how having a hungry/motivated Odell in the fold could be pretty beneficial. With 3 guys the likes of Deebo/Kittle/Odell on the field together somebody should be open on the vast majority of passing plays. Even if the open guy is Aiyuk, who seems to be starting to wake up. Having a talent like Aiyuk being your #4 target, could make the offense absolutely lethal.... if the O-line can hold up in pass protection.

So in conclusion, I actually think tomorrow's game will be key in the Odell decision. If 9ers win tomorrow, I think John and Kyle seriously consider putting in a claim since the cap would only be wrapped up for the rest of this season. Still, even if they do put in a claim, there is no guarantee they get him. I think the San Francisco is #12 in waiver priority.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#138 » by thesack12 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 2:59 pm

Another factor in the Odell discussion, specifically for the cap gurus.

Lets say a team claims Beckham for the remainder of this season. Then this winter he signs with another team as a free agent.

Would that factor into the compensatory pick formula? Since he was waived, I would think no. However, if he was claimed and his existing contract was absorbed by the claiming team, I could see how that would make it eligible for the compensatory formula.

If he would count towards compensatory picks, that would make it even more attractive to put in a claim on him. You'd get a hungry OBJ for the remaining 8 games of the season all the while getting an up close view as to whether you want him around long term or not. Then even if he leaves, you can get a draft pick.

Still as I mentioned above, I don't think it would work like that since he was waived. But if it did...

1 more thing to consider here:

Adding a (potentially) high octane weapon into the offense, could be a big boost for Jimmy's play/production. Which would lead to him being more attractive on the trade market this winter. There are going to be quite a few teams looking for a QB, and this draft isn't all that highly regarded.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#139 » by thesack12 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 3:09 pm

Read on Twitter

This would seem to indicate that after he missed the entire week of practice, they are leaning towards sitting Kyler out tomorrow.

However, I'm still half way expecting he'll start and they will determine how to proceed after seeing how he looks on their 1st possession.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,233

Post#140 » by wco81 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 5:46 pm

On OBJ, my recollection is that whenever the Giants had a big game, he rarely showed up or produced.

Part of it was the drama. When things didn't go his way he didn't get better, he got worse.

So I don't think he's likely to help much. For all his talent, he may be more trouble than he's worth.

The fact that the Browns may release him instead of trying to trade him may indicate they didn't get much interest from other teams.

All games are pretty much must-win now, unless the Cards and the Rams lose a few more games. But you also need Dallas and Green Bay to lose games just to have as much possible routes to the playoffs.

Return to San Francisco 49ers