Analyst
And1: 208

Re: 2021 Season news/notes/discussion thread 

Post#201 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:34 pm

thesack12 wrote:
arich35 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

That's definitely not a phantom "save face" type of situation.

Since its Jimmy's throwing hand, this likely ends his season. Although, apparently the injury happened on a sack in the 2nd quarter of last week's game. Which if true, maybe its not super debilitating since he never came out of the game.

But for at least the Texans' game its probably going to be the Trey Lance dance. We'll see what happens after that.

There is just no way you can put him out there with that injury, does not help us at all. Kyle better game plan much better than he did with Lance against ARI

Yeah, it was pretty clear that at that point Kyle did not trust Trey as a passer. Trey throwing a pick on his 2nd pass of the game probably played a big factor in that as well.

Hopefully, Trey has earned more of Kyle's trust since then and he will utilize an expanded playbook.

They can't look past Houston or take them lightly. Texans beat the Titans earlier this season and are coming off a win over the Chargers. 9ers are going to need a better approach than one based around repeated QB runs up the middle.

Lance still looks raw in many ways. He tried throwing into triple coverage and throwing 100MPH missiles on five yard routes. He was fortunate not have another couple of pics. Supposedly he has improved over the last month. We shall see.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 820

Post#202 » by arich35 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:29 pm

Jimmy talked to the media today, Kyle said he still has a chance to play Sunday. I hope this is all for show because I don't want a QB with a hurt thumb on his throwing hand to be starting.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#203 » by Samurai » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:18 pm

If the injury was largely responsible for Jimmy's inaccurate throws on Thursday and may continue to hamper his accuracy this Sunday, then I'd rather have a healthy Lance play. Jimmy MUST have his accuracy to be effective; he isn't the type of QB that can make up for a slight inaccuracy with sheer arm strength or substituting game changing plays with his legs.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#204 » by Jikkle » Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:51 am

I'd never completely rule it out but the talk of Jimmy playing Sunday sounds more like gamesmanship than anything.

Jimmy has 0 reason to force himself to play and potentially hurt his thumb further or hurt his stock with poor play.

Plus he still hasn't thrown a ball in a week and I think we're hitting the point where Lance is going to be the better option than a hobbled Jimmy G that'll have no practice time.

The hope is that all the talk of Lance having the best month he's ever had isn't just bluster. What encourages me is that talk started with Fred Warner after the Falcon's game where he offered up unsolicited praise for Lance so it's not like the talk popped up after the Titans game but while Jimmy G was healthy and riding high.

The second thing is players are offering up specifics when it comes to Lance and how he's doing. Usually players get pretty generic when they don't have anything nice to say and they'll throw the old "working hard" and "getting better" lines and not add anything beyond that.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#205 » by wco81 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:51 am

How does a backup QB get better if he's not getting a lot of reps with the first-stringers, against first-string defense?

I'm not talking about this week, just the course of the season.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#206 » by Pattersonca65 » Sat Jan 1, 2022 1:34 am

wco81 wrote:How does a backup QB get better if he's not getting a lot of reps with the first-stringers, against first-string defense?

First off h
wco81 wrote:How does a backup QB get better if he's not getting a lot of reps with the first-stringers, against first-string defense?

First off he has been working on his mechanics. He has shortened his throwing motion. One of Lances issues has been his accuracy. This will help resolve it. You cant work on that as a starter. There are other rhings he can do if he works hard at it.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#207 » by Samurai » Sat Jan 1, 2022 2:40 am

Jikkle wrote:I'd never completely rule it out but the talk of Jimmy playing Sunday sounds more like gamesmanship than anything.

Jimmy has 0 reason to force himself to play and potentially hurt his thumb further or hurt his stock with poor play.

Plus he still hasn't thrown a ball in a week and I think we're hitting the point where Lance is going to be the better option than a hobbled Jimmy G that'll have no practice time.

The hope is that all the talk of Lance having the best month he's ever had isn't just bluster. What encourages me is that talk started with Fred Warner after the Falcon's game where he offered up unsolicited praise for Lance so it's not like the talk popped up after the Titans game but while Jimmy G was healthy and riding high.

The second thing is players are offering up specifics when it comes to Lance and how he's doing. Usually players get pretty generic when they don't have anything nice to say and they'll throw the old "working hard" and "getting better" lines and not add anything beyond that.

I think it goes beyond just the risk of hurting Jimmy's future stock. Assuming Lance is our future (I'd hate to think we gave up those first round picks for a back-up), what kind of message does Shanahan send to the "QB of our future" that he doesn't think a fully healthy Lance can play better than Jimmy with an injury to his throwing hand? You'd either be setting Lance up for failure or some expensive therapy sessions, neither of which help us reach the Super Bowl over the next 2-3 seasons.
arich35
General Manager

Post#208 » by arich35 » Tue Jan 4, 2022 12:18 am

Here comes the Covid bug. K Williams and D Johnson on Covid list
Add Ward. Hopefully our whole secondary doesn't go down for the whole week
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,243

Post#209 » by thesack12 » Tue Jan 4, 2022 4:37 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:

First off h

First off he has been working on his mechanics. He has shortened his throwing motion. One of Lances issues has been his accuracy. This will help resolve it. You cant work on that as a starter. There are other rhings he can do if he works hard at it.

+1

Read on Twitter
thesack12
RealGM

Post#210 » by thesack12 » Tue Jan 4, 2022 4:42 pm

arich35 wrote:Here comes the Covid bug. K Williams and D Johnson on Covid list

Oh man, the secondary was bad with everybody available. With a Covid outbreak in the DB room, Sunday against the Rams could be a straight up massacre.

There is some *potentially* good news though, that with the new Covid protocols there is a chance all 3 of these guys will still be available for Sunday.

Also, there seems to be some optimism that Moseley might be able to return this week as well. Which would obviously be a big help, although we should probably temper expectations since he's been out like a month and probably won't be 100% sharp. Really, the same could be said for K'Waun/Ward/Johnson as well, even if they are available on Sunday. Not practicing for 5 days isn't the best of recipes.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#211 » by thesack12 » Tue Jan 4, 2022 4:46 pm

Read on Twitter
thesack12
RealGM

Post#212 » by thesack12 » Tue Jan 4, 2022 4:48 pm

Read on Twitter
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 963

Post#213 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Jan 4, 2022 5:06 pm

thesack12 wrote:
arich35 wrote:Here comes the Covid bug. K Williams and D Johnson on Covid list

Oh man, the secondary was bad with everybody available. With a Covid outbreak in the DB room, Sunday against the Rams could be a straight up massacre.

There is some *potentially* good news though, that with the new Covid protocols there is a chance all 3 of these guys will still be available for Sunday.

Also, there seems to be some optimism that Moseley might be able to return this week as well. Which would obviously be a big help, although we should probably temper expectations since he's been out like a month and probably won't be 100% sharp. Really, the same could be said for K'Waun/Ward/Johnson as well, even if they are available on Sunday. Not practicing for 5 days isn't the best of recipes.

Williams and Ward potentially out. The good news is that the Rams don't have much at the slot receiver position. (Meant to be DRIPPING with sarcasm.)

Got to hope those guys come back. Moseley returning would be huge. Thomas is still a liability, but he's been improving and seems like he's starting to feel more comfortable. He and Moseley on the back end with Williams and our safeties would at least make me feel tolerable about this one. DL is going to have to show up. The Rams struggled against a bad Ravens team, but they'll be fired up for this one.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#214 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Jan 4, 2022 5:09 pm

I'm irritated as hell that the Saints lost that Ian Book/Covid game to Miami. Without a full grasp on the playoff scenario, I was pulling for them to lose. But the irony is, we'd be in better shape if they had won. If they won that game and then beat Carolina (as they have) and Atlanta (as they should), they would be a game ahead of us and the Eagles (assuming an Eagles loss to Dallas, which you really can't take for granted). They would grab the six seed, and we would get the seven seed because we beat Philly head-to-head. But if it's a three-way tie, our awful division record (1-5, under this scenario) dooms us in the conference record tie-breaker. Ugh.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#215 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Jan 4, 2022 10:24 pm

If the 49ers lose this weekend and miss the playoffs, I think it will be as much about the corners as the quarterbacks. Stafford and Kupp are much better than anything the Texans threw at us. I still don't have much faith that Thomas, Norman, or Donate Johnson can get it done against the Rams. The 49ers need a consistent pass rush almost the entire game. Hopefully Moseley is back and can shake the rust off
arich35
General Manager

Post#216 » by arich35 » Tue Jan 4, 2022 11:02 pm

Nobody added to the Covid list today which is good news. Hopefully the DBs added aren't having any symptoms and can be cleared by Sunday
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#217 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Jan 4, 2022 11:13 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:If the 49ers lose this weekend and miss the playoffs, I think it will be as much about the corners as the quarterbacks. Stafford and Kupp are much better than anything the Texans threw at us. I still don't have much faith that Thomas, Norman, or Donate Johnson can get it done against the Rams. The 49ers need a consistent pass rush almost the entire game. Hopefully Moseley is back and can shake the rust off

The Rams struggled against the Ravens, who are super soft on the back end. We need that Rams team to show up and we can beat them. But the DL is going to have to disrupt Stafford all game.

Kupp is better than anything the Texans have, but Cooks still has elite speed, which Kupp does not. That makes is a somewhat better matchup for Norman and Williams, who no longer possess good speed. Granted I'm still expecting Kupp to roast whoever we throw out there.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#218 » by thesack12 » Wed Jan 5, 2022 1:34 pm

arich35 wrote:Nobody added to the Covid list today which is good news. Hopefully the DBs added aren't having any symptoms and can be cleared by Sunday

Yeah, good news indeed.

Now we just got to hope nobody else between now and Sunday gets added to the list. If someone does get added during that time frame, they will have to miss this week's crucial game.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#219 » by thesack12 » Wed Jan 5, 2022 1:46 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:I'm irritated as hell that the Saints lost that Ian Book/Covid game to Miami. Without a full grasp on the playoff scenario, I was pulling for them to lose. But the irony is, we'd be in better shape if they had won. If they won that game and then beat Carolina (as they have) and Atlanta (as they should), they would be a game ahead of us and the Eagles (assuming an Eagles loss to Dallas, which you really can't take for granted). They would grab the six seed, and we would get the seven seed because we beat Philly head-to-head. But if it's a three-way tie, our awful division record (1-5, under this scenario) dooms us in the conference record tie-breaker. Ugh.

Yesterday I was thinking its kind of a bummer that the 17 game season went into effect this year, as if we were still at 16 games the 49ers would currently be preparing for a playoff game against the Buccaneers this week. But then I realized the 17th game added to the schedule were cross conference/non divisional block games. So if those games weren't in the equation it would remove a 49ers win against the Bengals and a Saints loss to the Titans. So in that scenario both teams would be sitting tied at 8-7 right now. With this week's round of divisional games determining the final playoff slots, and we'd still be staring down the exact same tiebreaker scenarios we have now.

So really, a 16 game schedule would have the 9ers in worse shape than they are now because in that equation they would need a win + a Saints loss to get in. Whereas now, Frisco controls their own destiny with a win and they're in or they could still get in with a Saints loss.

So it all ended up being a pointless mental exercise.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#220 » by thesack12 » Wed Jan 5, 2022 8:24 pm

thesack12 wrote:
arich35 wrote:Nobody added to the Covid list today which is good news. Hopefully the DBs added aren't having any symptoms and can be cleared by Sunday

Yeah, good news indeed.

Now we just got to hope nobody else between now and Sunday gets added to the list. If someone does get added during that time frame, they will have to miss this week's crucial game.

Read on Twitter

Other than being short on bodies, I'm not sure if its a bad thing if Ambry doesn't cleared or not

Return to San Francisco 49ers