2021 Season news/notes/discussion thread

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,243

Re: 2021 Season news/notes/discussion thread 

Post#221 » by thesack12 » Wed Jan 5, 2022 8:28 pm

Read on Twitter

Looks like we could have some reinforcements on their way back.

Even if he's not 100%, getting Moseley back should be a good boost to the secondary.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#222 » by thesack12 » Wed Jan 5, 2022 8:33 pm

Read on Twitter

To follow that up...

Read on Twitter

If its that painful to throw, which I'm sure it is, it in all likelihood is going to effect both Jimmy's velocity and accuracy with his throws. So unless his thumb heals up in rapid progression, its probably best to just role with Lance on Sunday.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 963

Post#223 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Jan 5, 2022 9:28 pm

thesack12 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
arich35 wrote:Nobody added to the Covid list today which is good news. Hopefully the DBs added aren't having any symptoms and can be cleared by Sunday

Yeah, good news indeed.

Now we just got to hope nobody else between now and Sunday gets added to the list. If someone does get added during that time frame, they will have to miss this week's crucial game.

Read on Twitter

Other than being short on bodies, I'm not sure if its a bad thing if Ambry doesn't cleared or not

Thomas has improved rapidly over the past few weeks. Granted there was nowhere to go but up. He still needs a lot of refinement, but he's probably already our second-best corner. I'd rather have him out there than Norman or Dontae Johnson. Again, that's more a reflection of just how bad our corners are right now than a testament to Thomas' play, but he's shown some signs of developing into at least a decent corner.

Really awful timing for this. It feels like it wouldn't have really mattered last week. This week, it could be enough to cost us the game.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#224 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Jan 5, 2022 9:33 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Yeah, good news indeed.

Now we just got to hope nobody else between now and Sunday gets added to the list. If someone does get added during that time frame, they will have to miss this week's crucial game.

Read on Twitter

Other than being short on bodies, I'm not sure if its a bad thing if Ambry doesn't cleared or not

Thomas has improved rapidly over the past few weeks. Granted there was nowhere to go but up. He still needs a lot of refinement, but he's probably already our second-best corner. I'd rather have him out there than Norman or Dontae Johnson. Again, that's more a reflection of just how bad our corners are right now than a testament to Thomas' play, but he's shown some signs of developing into at least a decent corner.

Really awful timing for this. It feels like it wouldn't have really mattered last week. This week, it could be enough to cost us the game.

Thomas seems to be able to stay with his receiver in general, he just seems to struggle to finish plays.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,324

Post#225 » by wco81 » Wed Jan 5, 2022 9:43 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
Thomas seems to be able to stay with his receiver in general, he just seems to struggle to finish plays.

Wasn't that the problem with Witherspoon?

Anyways, just running downfield on some go routes shouldn't be hard if a CB has speed.

It's whether he can use the proper leverage based on the coverage to keep up with WRs when they do slants, posts, digs.

Or work with safeties on bracket coverages, to try to intercept the ball.

It's good that they invested a relatively high pick on a CB. They just have to hope he can be a reliable starter.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#226 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Jan 5, 2022 9:52 pm

wco81 wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

Wasn't that the problem with Witherspoon?

Anyways, just running downfield on some go routes shouldn't be hard if a CB has speed.

It's whether he can use the proper leverage based on the coverage to keep up with WRs when they do slants, posts, digs.

Or work with safeties on bracket coverages, to try to intercept the ball.

It's good that they invested a relatively high pick on a CB. They just have to hope he can be a reliable starter.

I saw Chris Culliver more than Witherspoon, especially in that first game. He was usually in the general area of the receiver, even in very good position at times, but had no awareness of the ball. That was vintage Culliver. No matter how close he was to a receiver, the dude was always open because Culliver simply couldn't locate. Witherspoon was just inconsistent. Sometimes he'd be great in coverage, other times, completely lost. And part of that was his ball skills, but I don't recall that as being as glaring an issue for him as for Culliver.

As I said in some thread after the first or second Thomas start, the good sign for me - despite a truly awful outcome in that game - was that he was at least getting his head around and looking for the ball, he just wasn't making a play on it. Culliver never even got that far along. I'm cautiously optimistic that Thomas has a future as a starting CB, but he has a LONG way to go to get there, and being able to make plays on the ball is a huge part of it.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 820

Post#227 » by arich35 » Wed Jan 5, 2022 11:14 pm

We won't have a secondary come Sunday
thesack12
RealGM

Post#228 » by thesack12 » Wed Jan 5, 2022 11:21 pm

arich35 wrote:We won't have a secondary come Sunday

Its definitely not looking good, especially with Deommodore Lenoir just being added to the Covid list. DMo is definitely going to be out on Sunday since he was added so late in the week.

We just have to hold out hope that Ward/K'Waun/Johnson/Thomas are symptom free and remain that way and can test out of protocols in time for Sunday's game.

If not, Sunday's game could get ugly in a hurry.

Even if the above 4 guys are available, having almost the entire secondary not practice for the whole week leading up to a critical game against a team with a good passing game (& the NFL's leading receiver in both yards and catches, both by a mile), isn't exactly a great situation.
arich35
General Manager

Post#229 » by arich35 » Thu Jan 6, 2022 9:52 pm

Trent Williams with his elbow sprain has also not been practicing. No word on how serious
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#230 » by Samurai » Fri Jan 7, 2022 12:51 am

arich35 wrote:Trent Williams with his elbow sprain has also not been practicing. No word on how serious

While he didn't practice, he also wasn't listed on their injury report. And Shanahan said he was confident Williams would play.
arich35
General Manager

Post#231 » by arich35 » Fri Jan 7, 2022 9:20 pm

Mosely is back for this week, Thomas was taken off the Covid list, Williams is still not at practice
wco81
RealGM

Post#232 » by wco81 » Fri Jan 7, 2022 9:33 pm

thesack12 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
arich35 wrote:Nobody added to the Covid list today which is good news. Hopefully the DBs added aren't having any symptoms and can be cleared by Sunday

Yeah, good news indeed.

Read on Twitter

I saw Hard Knocks. Wentz went on the covid list on Tuesday before their game with the Raiders on Sunday.

Then on game day, he was cleared to play. DIdn't practice at all that week but he was able to start and play the whole game.

So I don't know what the NFL rules are. Wentz is unvaccinated so he really had a mild case. Supposedly, vaccinated people are far more likely to have mild infections.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#233 » by Samurai » Sat Jan 8, 2022 9:49 pm

wco81 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Yeah, good news indeed.

Read on Twitter

I saw Hard Knocks. Wentz went on the covid list on Tuesday before their game with the Raiders on Sunday.

Then on game day, he was cleared to play. DIdn't practice at all that week but he was able to start and play the whole game.

So I don't know what the NFL rules are. Wentz is unvaccinated so he really had a mild case. Supposedly, vaccinated people are far more likely to have mild infections.

Ward, Williams and Johnson have been activated from the Covid reserve list. Thomas was activated yesterday. The only one not activated was Lenoir, but he hardly plays anyway. So the secondary should be in better shape now!
arich35
General Manager

Post#234 » by arich35 » Sun Jan 9, 2022 12:04 am

Glad to have the DBs back, now lets hope Williams can play.
Jimmy looks like he will start, I don't know how I feel about it.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#235 » by Samurai » Sun Jan 9, 2022 12:40 am

arich35 wrote:Glad to have the DBs back, now lets hope Williams can play.

Nothing like a true confidence-builder to tell your 'QB of the future' that even if he's fully healthy he still is inferior to a limited QB with a torn thumb tissue on his throwing hand.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#236 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun Jan 9, 2022 6:30 pm

Samurai wrote:
arich35 wrote:Glad to have the DBs back, now lets hope Williams can play.

Nothing like a true confidence-builder to tell your 'QB of the future' that even if he's fully healthy he still is inferior to a limited QB with a torn thumb tissue on his throwing hand.

I've been firmly in the start Lance camp all year, but this is one game where starting Garoppolo makes sense. We need to get the ball out quickly to nullify the pass rush. That's not Lance at this point.
wco81
RealGM

Post#237 » by wco81 » Sun Jan 9, 2022 6:34 pm

Sounds like Trent Williams won't play.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#238 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun Jan 9, 2022 6:40 pm

wco81 wrote:Sounds like Trent Williams won't play.

That sucks.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#239 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun Jan 9, 2022 6:41 pm

Goes back to our draft a bit. If banks had panned out, Brunskill would be our swing tackle. Instead, it's as least possible McKivitz starts.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#240 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun Jan 9, 2022 6:42 pm

Just for the record, I'm not saying banks is an outright bust at this point, but the second guard off the board in any draft needs to be a solid starter from day one.

Return to San Francisco 49ers