ImageImageImageImageImage

Week 3: Packers @ 49ers

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Re: Week 3: Packers @ 49ers 

Post#301 » by wco81 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:34 am

Oh well, they were the better team most of the night, dominated the LOS.

That slow start was too much to overcome.

The play calling, oof.

Lack of running game means more reliance on the QB and the defense is not the 2019 defense.

Good on Jus for fighting to get into the end zone but he could have laid down at the 1 or 2 yard line with 3 time outs.

Apparently the LBs weren't dropping back deep enough on that last drive. They wanted to deny the dump offs with Packers running out of bounds?
arich35
General Manager
And1: 820

Post#302 » by arich35 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:35 am

Soft ass zone to end the game. Just doesn't make any sense, play man and give help over top to not get beat deep. To allow Adams to just find the soft spot is pathetic
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#303 » by zman1 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:37 am

Mk0 wrote:Too much time on the clock after that TD. I fkn knew it. UGH
Yeah. I guess graoppolo screwed that up too.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,741

Post#304 » by Revived » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:38 am

Juszczyk scored way too quick…he had the chance to go down at the 1 but didn’t.

Poor time management imo.
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#305 » by zman1 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:39 am

wco81 wrote:Oh well, they were the better team most of the night, dominated the LOS.

That slow start was too much to overcome.

The play calling, oof.

Lack of running game means more reliance on the QB and the defense is not the 2019 defense.

Good on Jus for fighting to get into the end zone but he could have laid down at the 1 or 2 yard line with 3 time outs.

Apparently the LBs weren't dropping back deep enough on that last drive. They wanted to deny the dump offs with Packers running out of bounds?
Our lines suck, both of them. Does not bode well.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#306 » by Samurai » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:43 am

Revived wrote:Juszczyk scored way too quick…he had the chance to go down at the 1 but didn’t.

Not blaming Juice. You have a chance for the TD, you gotta take it; no guarantees you make it from the 1-yard line as one holding call completely screws you over. If you can't put any pressure on their QB or cover their best receiver when everyone in the stadium knows the ball is going to him, that's not Juice's fault.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,741

Post#307 » by Revived » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:46 am

Samurai wrote:
Revived wrote:Juszczyk scored way too quick…he had the chance to go down at the 1 but didn’t.

Not blaming Juice. You have a chance for the TD, you gotta take it; no guarantees you make it from the 1-yard line as one holding call completely screws you over. If you can't put any pressure on their QB or cover their best receiver when everyone in the stadium knows the ball is going to him, that's not Juice's fault.

The QB on the other side isn’t just any QB, it’s Aaron Rodgers.

There’s about 3 QBs in the league you play it differently and that’s Brady, Rodgers and Mahomes. Maybe Wilson too.

Against everyone else, sure score as quick as possible.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,241

Post#308 » by thesack12 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:49 am

In a game where Green Bay started their 3rd string Left tackle, 49ers only generated 1 sack and 2 QB hits.

D_Line was supposed to be the strength/backbone of this team, but it appears to be pretty over-rated
arich35
General Manager
And1: 820

Post#309 » by arich35 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:51 am

thesack12 wrote:In a game where Green Bay started their 3rd string Left tackle, 49ers only generated 1 sack and 2 QB hits.

D_Line was supposed to be the strength/backbone of this team, but it appears to be pretty over-rated

I think they said Rodgers was 16-16 getting rid of the ball under 2.5 seconds at some point, hard to get a pass rush like that
thesack12
RealGM

Post#310 » by thesack12 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:51 am

Also, 21 rushes for 67 yards isn't going to cut it from the run game.

The O-Line was absolute trash tonight in both the run and especially the passing game.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#311 » by thesack12 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:56 am

arich35 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:In a game where Green Bay started their 3rd string Left tackle, 49ers only generated 1 sack and 2 QB hits.

I think they said Rodgers was 16-16 getting rid of the ball under 2.5 seconds at some point, hard to get a pass rush like that

Sure Rodgers is impeccable, but it goes beyond this game.

They only have 6 sacks through 3 games. That's not becoming of a supposedly elite D-Line.
TheMonarch
Sophomore
And1: 21

Post#312 » by TheMonarch » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:58 am

arich35 wrote:

Our DBs and LBs need to cover better. If we had decent coverage, we would have had way more pressures and sacks.
TheMonarch
Sophomore

Post#313 » by TheMonarch » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:59 am

thesack12 wrote:
arich35 wrote:

They only have 6 sacks through 3 games. That's not becoming of a supposedly elite D-Line.

Rodgers got rid of the ball too quickly. Can't blame the D Line when our DBs aren't covering anyone.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#314 » by thesack12 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:03 am

TheMonarch wrote:
arich35 wrote:

Our DBs and LBs need to cover better. If we had decent coverage, we would have had way more pressures and sacks.

I don't disagree, however as I mentioned the D-Line is supposed to be an elite unit and the biggest strength of the team.

Its the chicken or the egg argument, better pass rush allows the the secondary to not have to try and cover for as long and better coverage allows more time for the pass rush to get there.

The D_Line supposedly has the horses to help cover the deficiencies in the secondary, they just aren't picking up the slack.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#315 » by Samurai » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:06 am

Revived wrote:
Samurai wrote:

The QB on the other side isn’t just any QB, it’s Aaron Rodgers.

There’s about 3 QBs in the league you play it differently and that’s Brady, Rodgers and Mahomes. Maybe Wilson too.

Against everyone else, sure score as quick as possible.

They had no timeouts. Just one sack ends the game. Doesn't matter if its Joe Montana back there, one sack and the fat lady sings. On a play when everybody knows you are throwing it and will have to hold the ball long enough to let your receivers get 30 yards down the field. Just pin yours ears back and .....nada, zip, nothing, and that's the ball game. That's not on Juice at all.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 963

Post#316 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:08 am

thesack12 wrote:
arich35 wrote:

Bosa is the only special guy on the unit. Otherwise we have pretty good depth, but that's it.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#317 » by thesack12 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:13 am

Packers came into this game with only 1 sack and 9 QB hits through their first 2 games.

9ers Garbage offensive line allowed 4 sacks and 11 hits on Jimmy.

So Jimmy got hit on 15/44 dropbacks (34%) by a team with a lackluster pass rush. Pass protection has to be miles better.
TheMonarch
Sophomore

Post#318 » by TheMonarch » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:19 am

thesack12 wrote:
TheMonarch wrote:
arich35 wrote:

I don't disagree, however as I mentioned the D-Line is supposed to be an elite unit and the biggest strength of the team.

Its the chicken or the egg argument, better pass rush allows the the secondary to not have to try and cover for as long and better coverage allows more time for the pass rush to get there.

The D_Line supposedly has the horses to help cover the deficiencies in the secondary, they just aren't picking up the slack.

I agree with you that the D-Line could have played better. There was no push up the middle. Some interior blitzes could have helped. But the secondary and LBs couldn't even cover for 2 seconds, especially in the first half. We didn't need great coverage, just average coverage.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#319 » by thesack12 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:36 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
arich35 wrote:

Bosa is the only special guy on the unit. Otherwise we have pretty good depth, but that's it.

Good thing they gave Armstead $85 million, spent a 1st rounder on Kinlaw, and traded a 2nd for Ford + gave him $85 million. They have a ton of resources invested in the DL.

Dee Ford didn't show up in the box score. I'm curious to see the snap counts. I'm not sure he was actually on the field too often.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#320 » by thesack12 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:41 am

TheMonarch wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
TheMonarch wrote:

I agree with you that the D-Line could have played better. There was no push up the middle. Some interior blitzes could have helped. But the secondary and LBs couldn't even cover for 2 seconds, especially in the first half. We didn't need great coverage, just average coverage.

Yeah, they needed to get a bit more creative. They definitely could have benefitted from a hybrid scheme, play Adams man to man (or even double him really) and have everybody else play zone.

Return to San Francisco 49ers