ImageImageImageImageImage

49ers vs. Falcons GDT

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Re: 49ers vs. Falcons GDT 

Post#161 » by Bald Bull » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:13 am

thesack12 wrote:They really need to figure something out at CB. They can't keep using Ambry Thomas, especially not as an every down player. Moseley is eligible to comeback for the Texans game in week 17, although its not currently known if his ankle will be healed up enough by then. But His return will help.

I mentioned earlier that the Vikings recently waived Bashaud Breeland. 9ers should definitely put in a waiver claim on him, and hope they get him. He's not a world beater, but he's worlds better than Ambry Thomas. Even when he'd be coming in with no familiarity with the defensive system.

breeland was one of the most targeted CBs in the NFL. If we are getting picked on, i'd rather give those reps to a rookie.
Read on Twitter
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#162 » by I_am_1z » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:12 pm

Still like Ambry Thomas. Once he comes down with an INT, which seems inevitable with the amount he's been targeted, he'll get some confidence. He's not getting BEAT bad, but he is getting Moss'd a lot. The coverage has been there though
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#163 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:49 pm

I_am_1z wrote:Still like Ambry Thomas. Once he comes down with an INT, which seems inevitable with the amount he's been targeted, he'll get some confidence. He's not getting BEAT bad, but he is getting Moss'd a lot. The coverage has been there though

I tend to agree. As bad as the ultimate results were, he generally wasn't getting beaten badly, and was actually in really good position a couple times. Additionally, unlike many young guys, he was actually looking back for the ball. Now, he wasn't locating it, and that's something he'll have to improve on a lot, but if he can, I think he could develop into at least a solid player.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#164 » by Jikkle » Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:12 am

I_am_1z wrote:Still like Ambry Thomas. Once he comes down with an INT, which seems inevitable with the amount he's been targeted, he'll get some confidence. He's not getting BEAT bad, but he is getting Moss'd a lot. The coverage has been there though

I think he needs to add some muscle but I'm encouraged from what I see.

But I don't want to get my hopes up since I've seen so many 9ers DBs you feel are close to taking a next step but stall out and never hit that next level.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#165 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:06 pm

Jikkle wrote:

I think he needs to add some muscle but I'm encouraged from what I see.

But I don't want to get my hopes up since I've seen so many 9ers DBs you feel are close to taking a next step but stall out and never hit that next level.

Yeah, there's no doubt that the results to date have been a disaster, and it would be a pretty huge jump to go from disaster even to solid starter, much less more than that. But CB is a nuanced position, and he's at least showing the fundamentals that he'll need to build upon. Let's hope he can.

My point was mostly that he's been catching a ton of flak - and rightly so - but a lot of it has been stuff that you'd think he can improve upon with more experience.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#166 » by thesack12 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:57 pm

Well, the Titans are getting back both Julio Jones & AJ Brown for tomorrow's game. Both those guys while maybe not 100% are infinitely better than anybody Ambry Thomas has attempted to cover so far. So its probably not going to get much prettier for him this week.

Unfortunately, 9ers don't have much of a choice than to rely on Ambry and just hope for the best. More bad news, today Kyle announced that Moseley isn't close to returning and the "hope" is he will be available for the season finale against the Rams. Even that is far from a given. Odell/Kupp is another nightmare matchup for Ambry Thomas.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#167 » by thesack12 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:13 pm

Bald Bull wrote:
thesack12 wrote:They really need to figure something out at CB. They can't keep using Ambry Thomas, especially not as an every down player. Moseley is eligible to comeback for the Texans game in week 17, although its not currently known if his ankle will be healed up enough by then. But His return will help.

I mentioned earlier that the Vikings recently waived Bashaud Breeland. 9ers should definitely put in a waiver claim on him, and hope they get him. He's not a world beater, but he's worlds better than Ambry Thomas. Even when he'd be coming in with no familiarity with the defensive system.

breeland was one of the most targeted CBs in the NFL. If we are getting picked on, i'd rather give those reps to a rookie.
Read on Twitter

Ehh, Breeland was playing opposite of Patrick Peterson. While those numbers definitely aren't pretty, its natural that teams/QB's will funnel playcalling and targets away from a guy like Peterson.

Breeland has started 101 of a possible 107 games in his career. Including being a full time starter on both of the Chiefs' super bowl teams the last 2 seasons. Considering the state of the 49ers CB situation, its not hard to believe that a guy like Breeland could help.

Return to San Francisco 49ers