ImageImageImageImageImage

49ers vs. Titans

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,209

Re: 49ers vs. Titans 

Post#221 » by thesack12 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:20 am

As I mentioned earlier, Jimmy is the main culprit that led to the loss.

Something that will fly under the radar but had big ramification was Trent Williams false start on 4th and 1, with led to Kyle still going for it on 4th and 6 which failed. Then the Titans marched to a go ahead TD on a short field.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 816

Post#222 » by arich35 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:21 am

wco81 wrote:Some NFL "analysts" were building up the 49ers, how great they are with Kittle and Samuel.

But there was always going to be a ceiling because of the secondary and now, bad Jimmy. He can't win you the big games but he can certainly lose them for you.

Much like the first Seattle game, dominating the line of scrimmage but could only put up 10 points in the first half and then basically the other team comes back.

It's hard to sustain wins in the trenches for a whole game.

So they likely weren't going to hold Tennessee down all game. All those squandered opportunities.

Doesn't matter, this roster isn't good enough. And the weaknesses go way beyond QB and CBs.

There is nothing about this team that screams contender. Our CBs are far too weak, our right side of the line is just not good enough, and Jimmy has way too many limitations even when we have some of the best weapons in the game. Throwing an INT in the endzone cost us at the very least 3 points. Throwing an INT leading to a Titans easy score.

Another boneheaded play was Ebukam on 3rd and 23 when all Titans were trying to do was bait us offsides and we bit. Of course they go and score that drive. Good teams don't make that many mistakes and expect to win
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#223 » by zman1 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:26 am

Shoulda been up 21 nothing at the half. Easy win then.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
thesack12
RealGM

Post#224 » by thesack12 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:27 am

Dang, if Saints/Vikings/Eagles all win this week the 49ers will drop to the 8th seed and out of the playoffs.
arich35
General Manager

Post#225 » by arich35 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:29 am

thesack12 wrote:Dang, if Saints/Vikings/Eagles all win this week the 49ers will drop to the 8th seed and out of the playoffs.

Not sure if that is possible, don't we have the tiebreaker over Vikings and Eagles?
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,137

Post#226 » by wco81 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:30 am

zman1 wrote:
wco81 wrote:Some NFL "analysts" were building up the 49ers, how great they are with Kittle and Samuel.

But there was always going to be a ceiling because of the secondary and now, bad Jimmy. He can't win you the big games but he can certainly lose them for you.

Much like the first Seattle game, dominating the line of scrimmage but could only put up 10 points in the first half and then basically the other team comes back.

It's hard to sustain wins in the trenches for a whole game.

So they likely weren't going to hold Tennessee down all game. All those squandered opportunities.

Doesn't matter, this roster isn't good enough. And the weaknesses go way beyond QB and CBs.
I would say problems are CBSs > special teams > QB. Otherwise we are pretty good.

I saw the right side of the OL get caved in too many times, esp. in second half.

Yeah the running game was working well in the first half, esp. first quarter. But they adjusted and then got more physically and they just pushed into the backfield.

The LBs are okay but last year Warner was so much better.
Scott T
Starter
And1: 444

Post#227 » by Scott T » Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:34 am

This just in: Our QB and CB's all suck!
thesack12
RealGM

Post#228 » by thesack12 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:41 am

arich35 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:Dang, if Saints/Vikings/Eagles all win this week the 49ers will drop to the 8th seed and out of the playoffs.

Not sure if that is possible, don't we have the tiebreaker over Vikings and Eagles?

They said it on NFL network.

If there are more than 2 teams tied, individual head to head matchups don't count as tiebreakers. So it gets a lot more complicated. In such a scenario the 9ers awful division record, will be a big detriment.
arich35
General Manager

Post#229 » by arich35 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:02 am

thesack12 wrote:
arich35 wrote:

They said it on NFL network.

If there are more than 2 teams tied, individual head to head matchups don't count as tiebreakers. So it gets a lot more complicated. In such a scenario the 9ers awful division record, will be a big detriment.

Well that is upsetting. We should at worse be 9-8.
Saints have a pretty easy schedule (Dolphins, Panthers, Falcons)
Eagles have Giants, WFT, Dallas (last week, Dallas could be resting guys)
Vikings have Rams, Packers, Bears

We might have to win out
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#230 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:21 am

Well they sure choked that one away. Absolutely brutal. Kind of a reversal of the Bengals game, where the better team lost through sheer incompetency. Awful game by Jimmy. INT in the endzone, another on the first play of the second half. Can't have it. Beyond that, overall execution continues to be an issue for this team, and we simply cannot cover downfield. Seemed like we were either sacking Tannehill or they were just picking us apart downfield.

I'd like to make the playoffs, and I still believe we're one of the more talented teams, but the holes - on and off the field of play - are too glaring to have much hope for any sort of playoff run.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#231 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:25 am

Re: the tie breakers, the problem arises for us if we have the same record as the Rams and several other teams. In that situation, the first thing they do is eliminate the lower-seeded team from any division that has two teams in it. And that's us as we would be 2-4 in the division (have to beat the Rams). Head-to-head only matters if you have beaten or lost to every other team you're tied with. Beyond that, I believe it's conference record, where we aren't stellar (see: 2-4 in division games). We've shot ourselves in the foot all year. For all Shanahan's acumen as a play designer and caller, he's just not a very good head coach. This team has underperformed all year, with the single exception of the Rams game.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#232 » by Jikkle » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:51 am

This game perfectly highlights why they traded up for Trey Lance and why all the talk of Jimmy being back next season is just noise.

Jimmy didn't have to do anything special for them to win this game and all he had to do was just execute a clean game and they would've won comfortably.

I'm just hoping the talk of Lance dicing up the defense in practice and his broken finger from preseason lingering was impacting his passes is true and not just hype.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#233 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:55 pm

Jikkle wrote:This game perfectly highlights why they traded up for Trey Lance and why all the talk of Jimmy being back next season is just noise.

Jimmy didn't have to do anything special for them to win this game and all he had to do was just execute a clean game and they would've won comfortably.

I'm just hoping the talk of Lance dicing up the defense in practice and his broken finger from preseason lingering was impacting his passes is true and not just hype.

Yeah, Jimmy can play well for a sustained period, but with his limitations (poor deep throwing, minimal mobility), he needs to be close to perfect. He's not, and never has been. He doesn't see the field well, he doesn't go through his reads all that well. He's generally accurate, but he can have bouts of inaccuracy. The upside just isn't there, and the downside is still quite low. At this point, he's our guy the rest of the season, but I'm ready to move on.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#234 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:58 pm

I wonder if Bosa isn't still banged up from last week, too. I didn't watch this one very quietly. Watching on my phone for the first quarter, listened to the second on the radio, and then sped through the second half on the TV late last night. But Bosa seemed to have a really quiet game against a shaky OL. It didn't seem like he was really using his full repertoire of moves, and other than the play on which he was held, I can't recall him getting all that close to the QB. That's on a night when the rest of the unit had four sacks.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#235 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:09 pm

And the salt in the wound was that I benched AJ Brown in my fantasy semi-final. Ugh. Though (little brag here) I still have Kupp, Allen, and Antonio Brown going at WR, so hopefully I'll be just fine.
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#236 » by zman1 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:46 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Re: the tie breakers, the problem arises for us if we have the same record as the Rams and several other teams. In that situation, the first thing they do is eliminate the lower-seeded team from any division that has two teams in it. And that's us as we would be 2-4 in the division (have to beat the Rams). Head-to-head only matters if you have beaten or lost to every other team you're tied with. Beyond that, I believe it's conference record, where we aren't stellar (see: 2-4 in division games). We've shot ourselves in the foot all year. For all Shanahan's acumen as a play designer and caller, he's just not a very good head coach. This team has underperformed all year, with the single exception of the Rams game.
I don't necessarily agree about Shanahan. He got us to a super bowl and we could have won it. He DOES need to do something about special teams coach and that is a glaring mistake. They have cost us games. But even with Jimmy G limitations and our running backs depleted the offense has been good.

Our biggest issue is corner. We should been able to come up with better replacements for our starters. I go into every game waiting for this group to fail miserably and they have not disappointed yet. Our two draftees suck bigly. Bad drafting. I am surprised when other teams don't go after them even more.

CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#237 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:51 pm

zman1 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Re: the tie breakers, the problem arises for us if we have the same record as the Rams and several other teams. In that situation, the first thing they do is eliminate the lower-seeded team from any division that has two teams in it. And that's us as we would be 2-4 in the division (have to beat the Rams). Head-to-head only matters if you have beaten or lost to every other team you're tied with. Beyond that, I believe it's conference record, where we aren't stellar (see: 2-4 in division games). We've shot ourselves in the foot all year. For all Shanahan's acumen as a play designer and caller, he's just not a very good head coach. This team has underperformed all year, with the single exception of the Rams game.

I don't necessarily agree about Shanahan. He got us to a super bowl and we could have won it. He DOES need to do something about special teams coach and that is a glaring mistake. They have cost us games. But even with Jimmy G limitations and our running backs depleted the offense has been good.

Our biggest issue is corner. We should been able to come up with better replacements for our starters. I go into every game waiting for this group to fail miserably and they have not disappointed yet. Our two draftees suck bigly. Bad drafting. I am surprised when other teams don't go after them even more.

He could have won it, but he didn't. Because his team didn't execute. His teams have lacked discipline and focus, and have routinely made crucial mistakes to cost them close games.

The offense has been decent, but not good given what we have. Our receiving corps, inclusive of TE, is really good. Deebo and Kittle have both been top-5 at the position this year, and Aiyuk is a really talented player who hasn't really scratched the surface of what he can do this year. We have maybe the best LT in the league, a good LG, and the right side of our line has actually been pretty darn good over the past few weeks. Our running game is elite - granted that's largely due to Shanahan's scheme. And with all that, we've struggled.

We put up 17 against Tennessee, and didn't score from 8:31 remaining in the second quarter until there were just over two minutes left in the game. That's unacceptable. The team was clicking against Atlanta, but Atlanta is a bad team. We scored three points in the second half against Cincinnati, and that was with 7:43 to go in the third quarter. We scored 23 against a shaky Seahawks defense, and failed to score a single point in the second half (granted there was blatant PI in the endzone at the very end of the game). It's not good enough given the caliber of players this team has. We have been ice cold in the second half lately, and it's bitten us in the @$$ repeatedly.

As said, Shanahan can draw up incredible plays, and he is usually good as a playcaller - though he sure does have his lapses sometimes. But this team needs to tighten up just about everything, starting with STs, but certainly not ending there.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 206

Post#238 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:28 pm

This was probably Jimmy's worst game of the year and the loss is on him but the secondary is currently a big issue. Norman and Thomas at this point are just poor in coverage. Thomas seems to be able to stay in stride with WRs but is just unable to make a play for the ball. Luckily he was not picked on sooner. I can't see being in the playoffs with these corners. Aaron Rodgers or Mahomes would eat these corners alive. The dline has to get a consistent pass rush to keep the pressure off these corners.

Return to San Francisco 49ers