ImageImageImageImageImage

Revisiting AJ Brown Vs Deebo

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Revisiting AJ Brown Vs Deebo 

Post#1 » by Bald Bull » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:10 am

Considering what we've seen from Deebo this year, did he change anyone's mind that he was the right pick over Brown?

Even if we remove the extra game, Deebo's productivity this season is on par with some of the best seasons in 49er history. In 1994 Rice had 1848 scrimmage yards, Deebo had 1770 (w/extra game) TO's highest was 1462.

77 catches, 1,405 yards, 6 Rec TDS
18.2 yards per reception (leads NFL)

59 carries, 365 yards, 8 rush TDS

1 pass attempt, 24 yards, 1 Pass TD
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Re: Revisiting AJ Brown Vs Deebo 

Post#2 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:41 am

I think it's much more of a debate at this point. Look, they're both really talented players, and I personally liked them both. I preferred AJ Brown slightly, as I thought he was a more refined receiver and had fewer injury concerns. He also has somewhat better size and length, though physically they're pretty similar.

I'm not at all sure that Brown could do the things that Deebo has shown he can do this year in terms of the conventional run game, etc., but he hasn't been asked to. I'd take either guy, and ultimately, I view them as great value for where they were selected. That said, I maintain that both would have been available had we traded back. We know Brown would have been.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#3 » by Jikkle » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:38 am

Deebo over Brown for this team but I think Brown is a slightly better option if you're just going to use him as a conventional WR.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#4 » by CrimsonCrew » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:53 pm

Not at all confident Deebo catches that TD that Brown caught today. Though again, there's a lot that Deebo does that Brown probably cannot.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#5 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:21 am

DEEBO SAMUEL
WR, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports signing Deebo Samuel to an extension is a "top priority" for the 49ers this offseason.

Samuel is the centerpiece of the 49ers' offense, leading the team with 1,405 receiving yards and rushing for 365 yards and eight touchdowns. The All-Pro struggled with injuries his first two years, adding some risk to a long-term deal, but the 49ers are expected to lock up Samuel before he enters a contract year in 2022. Samuel is likely to land $20 million annually on his next contract and could push for $60 million in guarantees.
SOURCE: NFL Network

Jan 22, 2022, 1:45 PM ET
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#6 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:23 am

A.J. BROWN
WR, TENNESSEE TITANS

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Titans are ready to make A.J. Brown "one of the highest paid receivers" in the league this offseason.

Brown took a step back while playing through injuries this year, posting a 63/869/5 line while missing four games. He had at least 60 yards or a touchdown in 6-of-13 games when healthy despite playing in Tennessee's run-heavy offense and had over 1,000 yards in each of his first two seasons. With Julio Jones signed though 2023 at $20 million annually, making Brown one of the highest paid receivers coming off a down year would be a questionable move for a team with Super Bowl aspirations. Brown would count just $4.5 million against the cap next year if he isn't extended.
SOURCE: NFL Network

Jan 22, 2022, 1:11 PM ET
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#7 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:26 am

Bald Bull wrote:Considering what we've seen from Deebo this year, did he change anyone's mind that he was the right pick over Brown?

Even if we remove the extra game, Deebo's productivity this season is on par with some of the best seasons in 49er history. In 1994 Rice had 1848 scrimmage yards, Deebo had 1770 (w/extra game) TO's highest was 1462.

77 catches, 1,405 yards, 6 Rec TDS
18.2 yards per reception (leads NFL)

59 carries, 365 yards, 8 rush TDS

1 pass attempt, 24 yards, 1 Pass TD

I was one of the main person here that was furious when we passed up AJ Brown. Fast forward to 3 years later, im still furious that we passed up on Brown in the second round. Gang! Gang! Niner Gang!
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#8 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:28 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Not at all confident Deebo catches that TD that Brown caught today. Though again, there's a lot that Deebo does that Brown probably cannot.

As a pure receiver, Deebo cannot smell Brown’s socks. The same could be said of Brown as a gadget player (mainly as a RB).
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#9 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:29 am

People seemed to have forgotten what AJ Brown did to us this year. We had no answers for him.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#10 » by Jikkle » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:07 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:People seemed to have forgotten what AJ Brown did to us this year. We had no answers for him.

I don't know if it's that because I'd take Brown over Deebo if we're talking strictly the WR position but for this team specifically Deebo simply is the better choice.

That's not a knock on Brown at all but Deebo has been clutch with the ball in his hands and the past two weeks he's converted 3rd and longs that against the Cowboys should've iced the game if Jimmy G doesn't screw up the QB sneak and in the Packers game with that 3rd and 7 which setup the game winning FG.

I think this is a good example of fit playing a role in these conversations because you'd almost always take Brown over Deebo except for this one exact team.

Felt the same way about Metcalf who I thought landed a perfect fit with Wilson who's one of the best deep ball throwers and likes to play backyard ball which is a scenario where Metcalf can shine with his freakish athleticism.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#11 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:40 pm

A.J. BROWN
WR, TENNESSEE TITANS

A.J. Brown caught 5-of-9 targets for 142 yards and one touchdown in Tennessee’s Divisional Round loss to the Bengals.

Brown capped his third year in the league by becoming the first franchise player with 100 receiving yards and a touchdown in a playoff game since Frank Wycheck did so in the 2002 Divisional Round. Although both Julio Jones and Brown overlapped on only 30.4% of Ryan Tannehill’s dropbacks throughout the year, Brown notably led Tennessee with a 33.5% target share in the six full games he finished alongside the veteran. AJB’s 8.0 targets per game were also a new career-high and improvement on last year’s average of 7.5. Simply put, the former should be targeted in the second round of fantasy drafts this summer regardless of Julio’s status for the uptick in production Brown showed despite Tennessee’s surrounding talent.

Jan 23, 2022, 4:05 AM ET
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#12 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:44 pm

DEEBO SAMUEL
WR, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

Deebo Samuel caught 3-of-4 targets for 44 yards in San Francisco's Divisional Round win over the Packers, adding 10 carries for 39 yards.

Deebo spent several minutes down on the turf in this one. He took a tough hit on a carry in the third quarter and fell down. Then after his final carry of the game, where he got nine yards on third-and-7 to put San Francisco inside the Green Bay 30 with 20 seconds left in the game, he hobbled off the field with one foot up. Asked about his status post-game, Samuel said he was fine. Oh, he also took a kickoff return 45 yards. The heart and soul of the 49ers will be heavily played in Championship Round DFS as long as he's healthy.

Jan 23, 2022, 12:44 AM ET
Bald Bull
Veteran

Post#13 » by Bald Bull » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:27 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:People seemed to have forgotten what AJ Brown did to us this year. We had no answers for him.

and other teams have had no answer for Deebo :dontknow: .

Some people don't like that we traded up for him, but if you are going to trade up for a player, it better be one who could put the team on his back when you need him most. Deebo is a game breaker, he has given us so many momentum shifts that bring life back into the team when they seem down.

I think Deebo should get strong consideration for MVP.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#14 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:11 am

CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#15 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:45 pm

Gotta say, as I have repeatedly said, I hated the Jalen Hurd pick and was pulling for McLaurin if we went WR there. That said, watching what Deebo has done this year, and to a much lesser extent, McKinnon, it make missing out on what Hurd and McKinnon could have brought that much more to this team. Those three guys on the field at the same time would have been unreal. Any one of them could play from the backfield or as a receiver. It makes me hope we keep trying to find more of those two-way threat guys.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,247

Post#16 » by wco81 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:30 am

Didn’t the 49ers trade picks to move up for Samuel whereas they could have drafted Brown without trading up?

So it wouldn’t be just these two vs. each other but Samuel vs. Brown and some other players the team could have drafted if they didn’t trade up?
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#17 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:17 pm

wco81 wrote:Didn’t the 49ers trade picks to move up for Samuel whereas they could have drafted Brown without trading up?

So it wouldn’t be just these two vs. each other but Samuel vs. Brown and some other players the team could have drafted if they didn’t trade up?

No, they stayed put and took Samuel. But one pick after they took Samuel, Carolina traded 47 and 77 to Seattle to move up to 37. Brown went 51st. We could have made that trade instead, and probably still had our pick of Deebo and Brown, as well as a fairly high third-round pick.

Several people on here, including me, were screaming at them during the draft to trade back given the number of WRs still on the board. Granted I probably would have gone Chuma Edoga at 77, and he's been bad to date.
Bald Bull
Veteran

Post#18 » by Bald Bull » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:54 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
wco81 wrote:Didn’t the 49ers trade picks to move up for Samuel whereas they could have drafted Brown without trading up?

No, they stayed put and took Samuel. But one pick after they took Samuel, Carolina traded 47 and 77 to Seattle to move up to 37. Brown went 51st. We could have made that trade instead, and probably still had our pick of Deebo and Brown, as well as a fairly high third-round pick.

Several people on here, including me, were screaming at them during the draft to trade back given the number of WRs still on the board. Granted I probably would have gone Chuma Edoga at 77, and he's been bad to date.

I could have swore we traded up for him. I thought people argued "why did we trade up when we could have stayed and had Brown"

I'm feeling too lazy to look it up lol. If we stayed put for him that's even better! 8-)
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#19 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:34 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Gotta say, as I have repeatedly said, I hated the Jalen Hurd pick and was pulling for McLaurin if we went WR there. That said, watching what Deebo has done this year, and to a much lesser extent, McKinnon, it make missing out on what Hurd and McKinnon could have brought that much more to this team. Those three guys on the field at the same time would have been unreal. Any one of them could play from the backfield or as a receiver. It makes me hope we keep trying to find more of those two-way threat guys.

McKinnon’s injury hurt the offense badly. I was so excited to see Hurd develop in our system - that dude would have been amazing. I’m praying and hoping he’s able to have a full recovery and rejoins this squad next offseason.

Also, this last draft I was begging for us to draft Demetric Felton. He would have been yet another major weapon in Kyle’s offense.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#20 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:38 pm

Bald Bull wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

I could have swore we traded up for him. I thought people argued "why did we trade up when we could have stayed and had Brown"

I'm feeling too lazy to look it up lol. If we stayed put for him that's even better! 8-)

I also remember us trading up as well :eek1: :sigh:

Unless I’m confusing that event/storyline with Brandon Aiyuk.

Return to San Francisco 49ers