go big or go home

I cant really **** with Jimmy anymore.[/quote
You know that won´t happen.
SfBull
Head Coach
And1: 1,698

Re: 49ers vs. Dallas Cowboys 

Post#562 » by SfBull » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:37 am

wco81 wrote:OK, those passes by Jimmy were inexcusable.

But remember, he has a bad thumb. He overthrew someone a couple of games ago on the right sideline too, it was Juice.

Then the interception, he's running towards the right sideline and does a jump pass. Passing on the move was never his forte. I understand he had to escape pressure but probably would have been better running for a couple of yards. But ever since his ACL injury, he doesn't run.

On the TD pass where Cooper beats KWiliams by a big margin, my guess is it was a pick play and with the blitz, there was no safety back there.

Even then Kyle will never start Lance over Jimmy s and it won´t matter at all as we don´t have winning chances playing Green Bay without Bosa and Warner.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#563 » by Jikkle » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:09 am

Even though it's a win there is plenty of critique to go around.

My main criticism goes to Jimmy G. That miss to Aiyuk and that INT were just backbreakers. The Aiyuk miss was a chunk play on 3rd down that at worst would've at least kept the clock moving and had a shot of ending on a FG. While the INT gave the Cowboys great field position but worst it gave a team on the ropes life.

A close 2nd is Special Teams. That roughing the kicker call fortunately mainly cost field position but that potentially could've been way worse and that fake punt is just inexcusable. I'll mainly blame Norman for making a mental error on that one but it's up to the coaches to make sure these guys are aware and focused on watching for a fake in that situation.

3rd goes to Shanahan. It's an easy QB sneak for inches that everyone knows is coming so why get cute with moving guys around? Line up and snap the ball and it's game over. Also with Shanahan I don't know if it's a Jimmy thing or what but he just tends to lose aggressiveness in the playoffs and being a little too passive costs you games in the long run.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#564 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:28 am

clyde21 wrote:Start Lance vs. the Pack

go big or go home

I cant really **** with Jimmy anymore.

He’s actually better suited to play in the cold weather than Jimmy.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#565 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:30 am

Jikkle wrote:
clyde21 wrote:Start Lance vs. the Pack

go big or go home

I cant really **** with Jimmy anymore.

I'm not going to roast Kyle for going with Jimmy considering we made and have won a playoff game BUT I do think they would've been in a better spot overall if they started Lance from the beginning.

It might've been bumpy early but I think towards the end of the season and playoffs Lance would've really started to get rolling kinda like Davis Mills.

Yup. And Ambry Thomas
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,254

Post#566 » by wco81 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:32 am

I thought it was #36 on that side on the fake punt, not #26.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,226

Post#567 » by thesack12 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:57 am

49ers offense this season:

7th in total yards
1st in yards per pass attempt
1st in yards per pass play
1st in yards per completion
1st in yards per play overall
1st in red zone efficiency
3rd in explosive plays (plays over 20 yards)

QB's that finished in the top 10 in passer rating, completion %, and yards per attempt:

Rodgers
Kyler
Herbert
Dak
Burrow
Garoppolo

I'm as excited for Lance's future as anyone, but Trey wasn't going to lead this offense to that kind of production this season.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 817

Post#568 » by arich35 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:08 am

wco81 wrote:I thought it was #36 on that side on the fake punt, not #26.

#36 is Harris and he was inactive today. It was Norman, confirmed by media guys
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,504

Post#569 » by RIPskaterdude » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:12 am

Game is Saturday night. Dammit
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#570 » by Catchall » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:52 am

Niners made mistakes late that were only overshadowed by the Cowboys' mistakes late. Niners miss a 1st-down spot by 3 or 4 inches, then ruin a quarterback sneak with a false start penalty. Niners should have ended the game right there, but instead gave the Cowboys the ball back with enough time to run several plays.

All the Niners needed was one good offensive possession in the 4th quarter to seal the game, and they couldn't deliver.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
arich35
General Manager
And1: 817

Post#571 » by arich35 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:14 am

We didn't have close to a great game on offense and made too many mistakes and still came out with the victory. Hopefully next week is cleaned up
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,504

Post#572 » by RIPskaterdude » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:19 am

Crazy thing is, if Jimmy throws a better ball to Kittle on that fumble, Cowboys win. A bad throw saved them
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 941

Post#573 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:14 am

RIPskaterdude wrote:Crazy thing is, if Jimmy throws a better ball to Kittle on that fumble, Cowboys win. A bad throw saved them

Meh. Better throw and I don't think Kittle fumbles it. But he has lost the ball more than once this season fighting for extra yards. I love the fight, but he's got to secure the ball, first and foremost.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 941

Post#574 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:28 am

So, a win is a win, especially on the road in the playoffs. They came out ready to play and clicking on both sides of the ball, but this was one of our worst games in terms of execution, and we easily could have blown what should have been a convincing victory. It was a race to the bottom, and thankfully, the Cowboys decided they wanted it even less than we did at the end.

After the first drive, I didn't love Kyle's game. Lots of outside runs against a D with great range. We should have been testing the middle more early in the game. Mitchell did a great job of picking up extra, tough yards, but we should have gotten more chunk plays out of the running game.

We simply have to get Kittle more involved in the passing game this upcoming week. The Ravens were able to stay in a game they had no business being in by utilizing Mark Andrews against the Packers. We need a similar game out of Kittle. This offense is too good, and has too many weapons, to get stymied the way that we did.

OL generally did a good job, especially giving Jimmy time against a very tough pass rush, but there were an uncharacteristic number of holding calls (admittedly not all on the OL). Got to clean that up.

Overalll, I thought the D played better than I expected. Thomas and Moseley are a huge upgrade on what we've had much of the year, but they still aren't great, and we're definitely vulnerable if the pass rush doesn't get home. Really need Bosa to be healthy. Ideally Warner, too, but that seems like more of a longshot.

And I just do not get it on STs. How can you find new and absurd ways to blow games every week? It's not that complicated. The fake punt was the one that just made me crazy. You know it's coming, and you even play to defend it, not really trying to get a block. But then you don't really do anything at all to stop it. WTF? We need a new STs coach. Period.

And Jimmy. This game exemplifies why we need to move on from him. Outside of the one really bad throw that wasn't picked but should have been, he played a pretty good first half (think that was the first half, though I'm actually not 100% on that). But then Bad Jimmy reared his ugly head at the absolute worst time. That INT will go down as one of the worst I've ever seen. Second down, comfortable lead, the entire field open to the right. Throw it away. Run for a few yards and slide. Throw it at the receiver's feet. Literally anything other than skying it three yards over his head, as it it was intended for the CB. Just so frickin' bad, and it damn near cost us the game. That's why they needed to go to Lance earlier this year. Jimmy isn't terrible, but he just can't afford to play that way, and yet he's shown no ability to stop doing so. Shanahan gets guys open enough that elite accuracy isn't as important as ball safety and being able to hit the open guy (hello, Brandon Aiyuk). Jimmy has never shown an ability to effectively read the defense, and for that reason perhaps more than any other, it's time to move on from him.

I think we match up pretty well against GB, and if we can play a clean game, we should be able to keep it interesting - though after two nail-biters and travel on a short week to play at night in the bitter cold, a blowout is certainly well within the realm of possibility. But I maintain it's a better matchup for us than Tampa Bay. But the offense needs to come to play in a way that they did not after the first drive today.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#575 » by Jikkle » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:31 am

thesack12 wrote:49ers offense this season:

7th in total yards
1st in yards per pass attempt
1st in yards per pass play
1st in yards per completion
1st in yards per play overall
1st in red zone efficiency
3rd in explosive plays (plays over 20 yards)

QB's that finished in the top 10 in passer rating, completion %, and yards per attempt:

Rodgers
Kyler
Herbert
Dak
Burrow
Garoppolo

I'm as excited for Lance's future as anyone, but Trey wasn't going to lead this offense to that kind of production this season.

Jimmy G doesn't suck as he does make some big boy throws at some key times but a bulk of his throws are throwing to open receivers down the middle of the field and them getting a ton of YAC. That's not his fault but he's still not throwing it like the other guys you listed aside from Kyler who almost had an identical year as Jimmy.

But the biggest issue with Jimmy is he consistently makes mistakes of the backbreaking kind. Just look at his last 3 games that he's played and they all had one or more backbreaking mistakes on his part.

Titans game he threw that INT in the endzone when they had a chance to go up by 14 or at worse 10. Threw a 2nd INT that gave the Titans the ball on the 18. And that missed pass to Juice. I can give him a bit of a pass since he hurt his thumb but that endzone INT at least shouldn't have happened.

Rams game he again threw an INT in the endzone in the 4th quarter during a tied game where we could've at least gone up by 3 points. Luckily he won the game at the end but it was a hole that he dug in the first place.

This game he had a costly miss to Aiyuk that might've sealed the game and he had an INT that lead to a TD that could've lead to a loss.

So 3 games in a row he's made major costly mistakes.

It's speculation but with Lance starting Week 1 I do believe by the time we got to today he'd be able to mostly do what Jimmy is doing now with the added benefit hitting bigger plays with his arm, improving the run game, and likely less costly mistakes. He'd still have some INTs but at least so far the ones he's thrown have been early in games and not major momentum swings.
SFrush
Sixth Man
And1: 778

Post#576 » by SFrush » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:31 am

They need to get Jeff Wilson Jr some carries against Green Bay. 27 carries for Mitchell is just a huge workload.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#577 » by GS Warriors 1 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:19 am

Had to come here for this one.

Wild finish, with both teams trying their best to not win lol. Opening drive was great stuff by the 49ers offense, just straight bullied them. Defensively, outside of the final drive, I thought the playcalling and performance was excellent. 49ers DL really put it on the Dallas OL. They have a good one, but that ended up being quite a mismatch in the 49ers favor and really dictated the game, mostly. Omenihu was almost like a revelation after the Bosa injury. He DOMINATED Tyron Smith. Armstead and Jones were among the better players on the field in this game. I think all these factors played a role in Dak Prescott not having a good game, though some of those penalties did put him in a bad spot.

I thought Garoppolo had some good moments, but also some really bad ducks. Pass attempt to Sherfield for the pick was just awful, and it came at a terrible time. Of course, Dallas was scoring off that. Ok, as for the end, on the 49ers last drive, Shanahan got too **** cute on 4th and inches...just line up normally and sneak. I know Garoppolo was supposed to wait for Williams, but it's also frustrating to know that **** highly likely doesn't happen if they line up as usual. As for Dallas, I have no clue what Moore(play call)/McCarthy(ok the play, according to DAL beats) were thinking on the QB draw with :14 left. Absolutely stunned when it happened. Also, the play after the fake punt, they took way too long to sub in the offense, that it caused the delay of game because the 49ers were allowed to make subs. Excruciatingly bad coaching, it's certainly possible the 49ers don't win this game with a better HC on the other side. McCarthy is a bumbling idiot, and for that, thank you, Jerry!
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,254

Post#578 » by wco81 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:28 pm

So what are the concussion protocols?

Shanahan said there was a chance Bosa could play, meaning he would have to clear protocols.

But this is his second time in protocols this season?

I thought Parsons got a concussion on a similar play, he collided with another player trying to get to the QB. Then he came back.
SFrush
Sixth Man
And1: 778

Post#579 » by SFrush » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:39 pm

wco81 wrote:So what are the concussion protocols?

Shanahan said there was a chance Bosa could play, meaning he would have to clear protocols.

But this is his second time in protocols this season?

I thought Parsons got a concussion on a similar play, he collided with another player trying to get to the QB. Then he came back.

It's going to be tough for him to clear because we play Green Bay on a Saturday.

Parsons cleared. Bosa didn't so that situations are different right off the bat.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,893

Post#580 » by Samurai » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:53 pm

After speaking to the medical and training staff, Shanahan said he was optimistic that Bosa, Warner, and Jimmy G will be able to play on Saturday. Bosa is still in concussion protocol but the team expects him to clear in time to practice this week. Warner has a low ankle sprain (instead of the dreaded high ankle sprain) and tweeted that he expects to be 'good to go'. Jimmy injured his right shoulder in the 2nd quarter and played in pain the rest of the game but is expected to practice.

Unfortunately Jordan Willis has a high ankle sprain. No changes for Harris or Hufanga as both are still listed as day-to-day.

Return to San Francisco 49ers