Re: 49ers vs. Dallas Cowboys 

Post#601 » by arich35 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:16 am

I think it is safe to say both of these teams are a lot different than week 3
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#602 » by zman1 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:41 pm

Last week a lot of people were picking the niners over the boys. This week I have not seen one pick the Niners.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 962

Post#603 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:34 pm

zman1 wrote:Last week a lot of people were picking the niners over the boys. This week I have not seen one pick the

It's more taking the points, but close enough to picking us in an article I read today:

https://www.nfl.com/news/divisional-round-game-picks-2021-nfl-season

At the end of the day, what the "experts" say only matters so much. We've been winning ugly, but beating legit NFL teams with top-tier talent on the road the past couple weeks. We basically define battle-tested at this point. As the article above notes, the Packers haven't played a meaningful game against a legit NFL opponent in almost two months (week 12 against the Rams).

Now, that cuts both ways for sure. They should be as healthy as they've been all season, including possibly getting back a couple blue chip players. We're coming off some hard-fought games. There's a definite possibility that they come out clicking and we get rolled. But there's also a possibility that they start a little slowly.

Our team has some tremendous strengths, but also some glaring weaknesses. The Packers are favored for a reason. But I've always felt this season that they are pretty overrated. We can definitely beat them if we bring our A-game, but not sure we can do that for four quarters.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 820

Post#604 » by arich35 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:20 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
zman1 wrote:Last week a lot of people were picking the niners over the boys. This week I have not seen one pick the

It's more taking the points, but close enough to picking us in an article I read today:

At the end of the day, what the "experts" say only matters so much. We've been winning ugly, but beating legit NFL teams with top-tier talent on the road the past couple weeks. We basically define battle-tested at this point. As the article above notes, the Packers haven't played a meaningful game against a legit NFL opponent in almost two months (week 12 against the Rams).

Now, that cuts both ways for sure. They should be as healthy as they've been all season, including possibly getting back a couple blue chip players. We're coming off some hard-fought games. There's a definite possibility that they come out clicking and we get rolled. But there's also a possibility that they start a little slowly.

Our team has some tremendous strengths, but also some glaring weaknesses. The Packers are favored for a reason. But I've always felt this season that they are pretty overrated. We can definitely beat them if we bring our A-game, but not sure we can do that for four quarters.

We are due for an A+ game, it has been awhile since we have played well all 4 quarters
zman1
Pro Prospect

Post#605 » by zman1 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:06 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:

From an objective national viewpoint it is pretty easy to see going with the packers. You have mvp, hof, at home on the frozen tundra rogers vs never -gonna -be -mvp, injured, mistake prone Jimmy. But I think our rush gives us a good chance, pass rush and running game. If both are great we should win.

The Packers might be rusty and overconfident too. I remember the boys from sunny California being highly discounted in the 80s when they had to go to Chicago for a cold weather game but Joe and Jerry handled it easily.

CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#606 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:52 am

I can't see the Packers taking the Niners lightly after recent playoff history. They've lost three straight, and were pretty badly embarrassed in two of them.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,318

Post#607 » by wco81 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:53 pm

Many of those picking the Packers cite the shortened schedule, uncertain status of key players and Jimmy G's two dumb plays a game, especially in the cold with his injuries.

The 49ers secondary is really going to be tested vs. the Packers, though I thought they would be tested vs. the Cowboys and for the most part they held up, with great DL play.

In the regular season game, they were playing their 3rd LT and the 49ers weren't able to pressure Rodgers enough.

Or they gave easy looks to Adams as in that last series.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#608 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:52 pm

Bosa cleared to play. You know!!!
zman1
Pro Prospect

Post#609 » by zman1 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:54 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Bosa cleared to play. You know!!!

thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,241

Post#610 » by thesack12 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:53 pm

Boom, Getting Bosa back is big.

The pass rush is going to have to wreak havoc early and often against Roj. They only touched Aaron 2 times in Week 3, and that was with Green Bay being down to their 3rd string left tackle.

Rodgers also hasn't thrown an INT since week 10, while throwing 20 TD passes since then. He's also only taken 12 sacks since that week 10 game, on 236 pass attempts. This despite only having 2.2 seconds of pocket time which is only 28th (Coincidentally Garoppolo's pocket time is 25th at 2.3 seconds.)

So in other words, Rodgers is freakin brilliant, even with abbreviated time in the pocket. 9ers pass rush is not only going to have to get after him, but they are going to have to get home on him frequently.

Its going to take a complete game from all 3 phases to get this W. As someone mentioned earlier, its been awhile since the 9ers ave played a complete game, so they are kinda due for one.
zman1
Pro Prospect

Post#611 » by zman1 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:45 am

Matt Russell at the Score made this great point:

"You might think I'm kidding, but I'm going to fade Davante Adams with my best player prop play in this game. That sounds crazy when you look at the box score from Week 3 and see that Adams had 12 catches for 132 yards the last time versus San Francisco. However, that was against a secondary that had Josh Norman, Dontae Johnson, and Deommodore Lenoir play a collective 95 total snaps opposite of Emmanuel Moseley. Meanwhile, K'Waun Williams played just six snaps."

Also, I don't think most realize that our dline is deeper and better than ever this season.

My biggest worry is that the cold DOES affect Jimmy like the rain did earlier.

arich35
General Manager
And1: 820

Post#612 » by arich35 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:34 am

Saw some crazy stat that Jimmy has a better rating against pressure than Rodgers this year. Getting pressure on Rodgers is going to be the biggest key to this game for us.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#613 » by CrimsonCrew » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:08 am

Our D is playing head-and-shoulders beyond where we were last time these two teams faced each other. Not only were our CBs garbage, but Bosa was really the only DL we had contributing consistent pressure for quite a while there. Lately, it seems like all of our DL are doing a much more effective job of rushing the passer. We obviously cannot take anything for granted in this one, Rodgers is playing about as well as anyone ever has at the QB position, and they have a balanced attack and an improved OL. But our D should hopefully be able to slow them down.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#614 » by Jikkle » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:55 am

Packers should be favored but I'd give us a healthy chance of winning the game.

As others have said the defense is in a much better place early this season. Secondary play has been better and the non Bosa linemen seem to have hit their strides.

The underrated element is I just think Ryans has settled down as DC and gotten into a groove. People tend to forget that it took Saleh sometime before he really figured things out and put his own spin on the defense and started to max out it's talent. With that said though the defense still infuriatingly gives up big plays and 3rd down conversions too often.

Offense Mitchell and more importantly Deebo are factors in the offense. Things really turned around offensively once Deebo started to run the ball and we didn't have that the first matchup.

The biggest concern and why the Packers likely win boils down to Jimmy G and the fact that he's not 100%. It's a big question of if he's going to be able to throw effective enough if the game comes down to it and it puts us in a position where the running game and defense has to be absolutely dominant to win which is a big ask when you're facing the #1 seeded team in the playoffs.
zman1
Pro Prospect

Post#615 » by zman1 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:16 pm

Jikkle wrote:Packers should be favored but I'd give us a healthy chance of winning the game.

As others have said the defense is in a much better place early this season. Secondary play has been better and the non Bosa linemen seem to have hit their strides.

The underrated element is I just think Ryans has settled down as DC and gotten into a groove. People tend to forget that it took Saleh sometime before he really figured things out and put his own spin on the defense and started to max out it's talent. With that said though the defense still infuriatingly gives up big plays and 3rd down conversions too often.

Offense Mitchell and more importantly Deebo are factors in the offense. Things really turned around offensively once Deebo started to run the ball and we didn't have that the first matchup.

The biggest concern and why the Packers likely win boils down to Jimmy G and the fact that he's not 100%. It's a big question of if he's going to be able to throw effective enough if the game comes down to it and it puts us in a position where the running game and defense has to be absolutely dominant to win which is a big ask when you're facing the #1 seeded team in the playoffs.
Agreed about Ryan's. Early on I thought the defense looked clueless but now great. All coaches seem to be on top of their game except special teams. Saw Shanahan saying he only wants sp to not lose games so he is setting a very low bar and this coach is not even meeting that.

As important as hitting Rodgers is keeping Jimmy clean. His body ain't going to take many more hits.

CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#616 » by CrimsonCrew » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:54 pm

Ambry Thomas inactive. ****! That's brutal.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,521

Post#617 » by RIPskaterdude » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:55 pm

Someone gonna start a new thread?
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#618 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:02 am

I can do it. I started the threads the past two weeks.
zman1
Pro Prospect

Post#619 » by zman1 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:05 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Ambry Thomas inactive. ****! That's brutal.
Where did you hear that?

Return to San Francisco 49ers