Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,496

Re: The GTFO Jimmy Thread 

Post#101 » by RIPskaterdude » Tue Feb 1, 2022 1:51 am

thesack12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Jimmy is set to undergo thumb surgery and will have a 4-6 week recovery period.

Shoudn't be a much of a deterrent to his trade situation, if any.
Injured thumb that restricted his throwing and yet KS still refused to play Trey
SfBull
Head Coach
And1: 1,698

Post#102 » by SfBull » Tue Feb 1, 2022 9:51 am

Jikkle wrote:
SfBull wrote:I don't believe we can win a SB with Kyle, he's talented but too stubborn for being successful.

I'd like to see what he does with Lance before I come to that conclusion.

Jimmy basically only having one pitch which is that 15ish yard throw down the middle I felt really limited the offense. With Jimmy I just don't think he was able to make defenses pay the way you needed to make them pay for selling out to stop the run.

If Lance can be not only a legit threat deep but also outside the numbers while being effective in the middle that's really going to open up the offense because defenses would just have too much ground to cover.

I keep thinking the Niners should go for another coach if thinking about winning another SB.Not really excited about Lance and especially Kyle's work .
SfBull
Head Coach

Post#103 » by SfBull » Tue Feb 1, 2022 9:59 am

RIPskaterdude wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Injured thumb that restricted his throwing and yet KS still refused to play Trey

Perhaps because he didn't believe Lance was ready to play but if that was the case he shouldn't have invested a 1st round pick on him.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 206

Post#104 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Feb 1, 2022 5:55 pm

SfBull wrote:
RIPskaterdude wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Perhaps because he didn't believe Lance was ready to play but if that was the case he shouldn't have invested a 1st round pick on him.

Too short term in thinking. It isn't about the first year or two of his career that defines a first round pick, it is the following 10+ years that defines it.
SfBull
Head Coach

Post#105 » by SfBull » Tue Feb 1, 2022 7:01 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
SfBull wrote:
RIPskaterdude wrote:Injured thumb that restricted his throwing and yet KS still refused to play Trey

Too short term in thinking. It isn't about the first year or two of his career that defines a first round pick, it is the following 10+ years that defines it.

Not sure if Lance was the right choice for Niners' future, perhaps drafting Fields could have been a better option .
Let's see how they'll play in 2022.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#106 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Feb 1, 2022 7:46 pm

SfBull wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
SfBull wrote:Perhaps because he didn't believe Lance was ready to play but if that was the case he shouldn't have invested a 1st round pick on him.

Not sure if Lance was the right choice for Niners' future, perhaps drafting Fields could have been a better option .
Let's see how they'll play in 2022.

I liked Fields more based on a pretty thorough review of the film (watched effectively all of their games at least once, and several games twice, though not on All-22), but I don't have the benefit of sitting down with these guys and talking to them. Biggest thing for me was Fields' accuracy, which is markedly better than Lance's, or was in college, at least. In addition to the caliber of opponent he faced in college. I was pretty concerned about Lance's accuracy, and that his athleticism wouldn't translate once he wasn't the best athlete on the field.

That said, he's a really talented kid who apparently has a great head on his shoulders. Based on the very small sample size we've seen to date, his accuracy has looked okay (it's not so much an issue of pure accuracy, but inconsistency; he'll just throw a completely off-target ball every once in a while, while Fields was incredibly accurate in college). His athleticism hasn't been what some made it out to be. But on the physical side of things, the bar Jimmy set isn't very high. The real struggle will probably be the mental piece, and everything you read/hear suggests that he's going to put everything he has into working through that stuff. But it will almost certainly come with growing pains. Here's to hoping there aren't too many of them.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#107 » by Samurai » Tue Feb 1, 2022 7:51 pm

SfBull wrote:
Jikkle wrote:
SfBull wrote:I don't believe we can win a SB with Kyle, he's talented but too stubborn for being successful.

Jimmy basically only having one pitch which is that 15ish yard throw down the middle I felt really limited the offense. With Jimmy I just don't think he was able to make defenses pay the way you needed to make them pay for selling out to stop the run.

If Lance can be not only a legit threat deep but also outside the numbers while being effective in the middle that's really going to open up the offense because defenses would just have too much ground to cover.

I keep thinking the Niners should go for another coach if thinking about winning another SB.Not really excited about Lance and especially Kyle's work .

Kyle's not going anywhere, at least in the short term. Like him or not, he took the team to within one game of the Super Bowl when even thinking about the playoffs mid-season seemed like pure fairy tales. Lance is the QB we drafted; complaining about that now won't suddenly change things - football just doesn't work that way. So then the question is whether Kyle is the best play caller for a QB like Lance. If McDaniel does end up going to the Dolphins as rumored, then we could hire a new OC that could either have a proven skillset in designing plays around a mobile QB with a strong arm or perhaps even take over play-calling duties from Shanahan. Kyle is our coach and Lance is the QB and they each have strengths and warts - I get it. But if Kyle isn't the best play designer/caller for that type of QB, then we need to find a OC or QB coach that is.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#108 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Feb 1, 2022 8:02 pm

Lynch and Shanahan pose a conundrum of sorts.

I have vehemently disagreed with a number of their moves in the draft, particularly the earlier rounds (Solomon Thomas, McGlinchey, Pettis, Hurd, Kinlaw, Banks, Sermon, etc., etc.; this is not hindsight, it's what I said at the time, and I'll eat crow on the Foster pick, which I loved). I have also strongly disagreed with a lot of their FA moves (Alexander and Malcolm Smith most prominently; again I was pretty on board with Ford, and that's been a debacle). But at the end of the day, even with those extremely suspect moves, they have built a pretty darn talented roster, particularly if they hit on Lance. It may not be top-5 in the league, but it's definitely top-10, particularly if we don't include QB in the consideration.

I also think that Kyle is not a great head coach, particularly in terms of game management-type stuff. But this team - despite the talent - clearly overperformed toward the end of this year. They were playing way above their talent level in the playoffs, particularly on defense. And ultimately, that speaks to coaching. Now, the fact that the defense rose to the occasion while the offense floundered casts some doubt on Kyle's coaching, but he's the head coach, so if the team is outperforming expectations, he deserves a lot of the credit.

Shanahan and Lynch have done a great job of bringing in a very talented group of position coaches and coordinators. The team is full of high character, passionate, driven players. It's a team that - despite the ugliness at the end of this last game - really has no quit in them. And the FO deserves a lot of the credit for that.

So despite the really frustrating things we've seen from Shanahan in particular at times, we stick with them and hope they can get it right. I just wish he wasn't so damn stubborn and convinced of his own greatness (apparently). He could really stand to delegate some responsibilities, in the personnel area as well as in terms of playcalling and clock management.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,542

Post#109 » by Mamba Mentality » Tue Feb 1, 2022 9:06 pm

I have a feeling Jimmy is gonna end up on the Bucs. That would be some timeline.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#110 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Feb 1, 2022 10:39 pm

Mamba Mentality wrote:I have a feeling Jimmy is gonna end up on the Bucs. That would be some timeline.

I don't know. Arians loves the downfield passing game, so it's hard to see him wanting Jimmy. That said, he may not have much in the way of other options unless they feel Trask is ready.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#111 » by LightTheBeam » Tue Feb 1, 2022 10:44 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:I have a feeling Jimmy is gonna end up on the Bucs. That would be some timeline.

I don't know. Arians loves the downfield passing game, so it's hard to see him wanting Jimmy. That said, he may not have much in the way of other options unless they feel Trask is ready.

Winston return anyone?
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#112 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Feb 1, 2022 11:10 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

Winston return anyone?

The thought crossed my mind. But it seems pretty unlikely.
SfBull
Head Coach

Post#113 » by SfBull » Tue Feb 1, 2022 11:16 pm

Samurai wrote:
SfBull wrote:
Jikkle wrote:

Kyle's not going anywhere, at least in the short term. Like him or not, he took the team to within one game of the Super Bowl when even thinking about the playoffs mid-season seemed like pure fairy tales. Lance is the QB we drafted; complaining about that now won't suddenly change things - football just doesn't work that way. So then the question is whether Kyle is the best play caller for a QB like Lance. If McDaniel does end up going to the Dolphins as rumored, then we could hire a new OC that could either have a proven skillset in designing plays around a mobile QB with a strong arm or perhaps even take over play-calling duties from Shanahan. Kyle is our coach and Lance is the QB and they each have strengths and warts - I get it. But if Kyle isn't the best play designer/caller for that type of QB, then we need to find a OC or QB coach that is.

This is what we have for next season and it's not a rebuilding roster , it's a very strong one.I get it but what remains to be seen is if Kyle is an almost winning coach( almost won a SB for Falcons and Niners, almost won NFC championship now) or a real winner and if he's the better coach for Lance.A lot of improvement will be necessary if the Niners really want to return to SB, especially on O line and secondary.I also have doubts about Lance's durability if he keeps insisting on lowering his shoulder acting like a running back when the pocket collapses ( as happened so frequently this season), it's exciting to have a QB like that but he'll be exposed to injuries.
SfBull
Head Coach

Post#114 » by SfBull » Tue Feb 1, 2022 11:32 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Lynch and Shanahan pose a conundrum of sorts.

I have vehemently disagreed with a number of their moves in the draft, particularly the earlier rounds (Solomon Thomas, McGlinchey, Pettis, Hurd, Kinlaw, Banks, Sermon, etc., etc.; this is not hindsight, it's what I said at the time, and I'll eat crow on the Foster pick, which I loved). I have also strongly disagreed with a lot of their FA moves (Alexander and Malcolm Smith most prominently; again I was pretty on board with Ford, and that's been a debacle). But at the end of the day, even with those extremely suspect moves, they have built a pretty darn talented roster, particularly if they hit on Lance. It may not be top-5 in the league, but it's definitely top-10, particularly if we don't include QB in the consideration.

I also think that Kyle is not a great head coach, particularly in terms of game management-type stuff. But this team - despite the talent - clearly overperformed toward the end of this year. They were playing way above their talent level in the playoffs, particularly on defense. And ultimately, that speaks to coaching. Now, the fact that the defense rose to the occasion while the offense floundered casts some doubt on Kyle's coaching, but he's the head coach, so if the team is outperforming expectations, he deserves a lot of the credit.

Shanahan and Lynch have done a great job of bringing in a very talented group of position coaches and coordinators. The team is full of high character, passionate, driven players. It's a team that - despite the ugliness at the end of this last game - really has no quit in them. And the FO deserves a lot of the credit for that.

So despite the really frustrating things we've seen from Shanahan in particular at times, we stick with them and hope they can get it right. I just wish he wasn't so damn stubborn and convinced of his own greatness (apparently). He could really stand to delegate some responsibilities, in the personnel area as well as in terms of playcalling and clock management.

I loved Kyle's hiring but grew frustrated with his stubbornness.But you said it right ,Lynch and him assembled a very strong group of coaches and an especially strong move was finding Demeco Ryans for Saleh's place,the defense carried the Niners for the 2nd half on . With the West growing stronger every season Kyle's work needs to be better .
SfBull
Head Coach

Post#115 » by SfBull » Tue Feb 1, 2022 11:34 pm

Why he'd not end with the Steelers?Seems like a good place for him.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#116 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Feb 1, 2022 11:44 pm

Fortunately, we're going to be in something of a seller's market. Teams that could be competitive next year, like the Bucs, Steelers, Saints, maybe the Broncos, and even possibly the Packers, will be in the market for a QB who can enable them to compete now. Only Denver at 9 really has a shot of drafting a QB who might be ready now. Washington will be in the QB market, Cleveland might be, Carolina can't feel good about Darnold. I think a decent market will emerge for Jimmy.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 816

Post#117 » by arich35 » Wed Feb 2, 2022 3:24 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Fortunately, we're going to be in something of a seller's market. Teams that could be competitive next year, like the Bucs, Steelers, Saints, maybe the Broncos, and even possibly the Packers, will be in the market for a QB who can enable them to compete now. Only Denver at 9 really has a shot of drafting a QB who might be ready now. Washington will be in the QB market, Cleveland might be, Carolina can't feel good about Darnold. I think a decent market will emerge for Jimmy.

It seems like they are starting the process pretty quickly, they are going to do right by Jimmy and not trade him to a place he doesn't want to be which might limit the competition for him
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#118 » by Jikkle » Wed Feb 2, 2022 10:46 am

Read on Twitter

To be fair to Jimmy every QB is going to have missed opportunities a game but the difference is the great ones don't have that many.

I bring this up to go back to my point in I'd like to see what Kyle does with Lance before deciding if he's going to be a coach that just comes up a little short all the time or if he just needs a guy that can operate his offense at full capacity.

If Jimmy just makes a couple of those plays shown we probably win the game and that's why you see McVay go get a Stafford and why you see Shanahan get a Trey Lance in the hopes that have a guy that can hit on plays like that more often.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#119 » by thesack12 » Wed Feb 2, 2022 3:40 pm

^^^
What was the play call?

Watching the video of that play and Judging by Jimmy's eyes, I'd say it was a quick slant to Aiyuk. Jimmy looked off Aiyuk since he wasn't into his break yet, and he spotted Mitchell uncovered in the flat and decided to take the sure thing instead of waiting for something that might not have been there.

Also looking at the video, I don't know if Jimmy would of had a a good window to get a throw to Aiyuk past the Rams DLine. If he went to Aiyuk there it would have been angled to the dead center of the pocket. By the time Aiyuk went into his break #91 had a step on Laken to the inside, and was looking right at Jimmy. So there is a chance he would of batted down a pass that would have been whistling right by his helmet.

Of course Jimmy missed some plays, Most glaring being the misfire to Kittle on the first possession. It was there, Jimmy saw it but he just didn't execute what was needed to make the play. Jimmy didn't make enough plays the win the game, the running back made like next to zero plays, the offensive line played incredibly poor across the board, and the the defense routinely couldn't get off of the field.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#120 » by thesack12 » Wed Feb 2, 2022 3:52 pm

Jikkle wrote:
If Jimmy just makes a couple of those plays shown we probably win the game and that's why you see McVay go get a Stafford and why you see Shanahan get a Trey Lance in the hopes that have a guy that can hit on plays like that more often.

If Tartt catches that INT on Stafford's bad decision/punt style pass, it would have dramatically increased the 49ers win %.

If Tartt picks that ball and the 9ers go on to win, Stafford's image is 180'ed to what it is right now.

Of course its all moot at this point.

Return to San Francisco 49ers