ImageImageImageImageImage

Niners v Boyz, some thoughts

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Niners v Boyz, some thoughts 

Post#1 » by zman1 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:47 pm

So it's a rematch thing from last year in round 2. Are the teams equal to last year? I haven't watched Dallas much but from Monday night they look about the same. Niners are much better than last year. Purdy is better than Jimmy G, plus Jimmy was injured last year. We have Elijah AND McCaffrey this time, and Elijah got 100 yards last year.. Deebo got 10 runs and 70 yards but those will go to McCaffrey this time and Deebo will get more catches.

Last year we had 5 sacks to their zero. We do that again and we are in good shape. Whatever we did to neutralize parsons hopefully will work again.

Our defense is definitely better. Remember our nightmare of a secondary last year?

I am not a betting guy bet this could be a good one. Media is making a big deal about them stomping TB. But TB was bad and they could easily revert to the 5 sacks, 14 penalty team from last year. Aren't Mccarthy teams mistake prone?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Re: Niners v Boyz, some thoughts 

Post#2 » by thesack12 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:17 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

All these are interesting nuggets.

Still last year was last year. What transpired in that last matchup will play a role into the makeup/fabric of this Sunday's game but these are different teams now.
zman1
Pro Prospect

Post#3 » by zman1 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:33 am

thesack12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

All these are interesting nuggets.

Still last year was last year. What transpired in that last matchup will play a role into the makeup/fabric of this Sunday's game but these are different teams now.
Could not open the tweets.

How is big D different? I don't follow them at all.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#4 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:01 pm

I haven't followed Dallas a ton, but my impressions of the difference:

They're clearly stronger against the run, and in a division that has some capability to run the ball. Passing D was really good to start the year, but fell off a bit over the second half, perhaps due to some injuries at the CB position. But they've got an elite pass rusher in Parsons, and one who is still very legit in Lawrence, though he's been quiet in the sack department over the second half of the season.

They don't have all the weapons in the passing game this year, though I have heard just this week that TY Hilton has helped them. Seems a bit odd as he's only had ten receptions in four games with no TDs, but what do I know? Lamb is the clear #1 in the passing game, and I think Ward should match up pretty well with him, though he plays a lot in the slot.

They lost La'el Collins, but have a rookie who has been pretty good, especially in the run game. He had kicked inside when Tyrion Smith returned from injury, but Jason Peters may not play, in which case one of Smith or the rookie would presumably play at LT. Zeke has been falling off, but Pollard has been quite good, and they seem to complement each other. And Dak has been up and down. Mostly down of late, until Monday, when he had maybe his best game of the season.

They're a dangerous team. They've got legit talent all over the field, possibly to rival our own. We have some clear advantages, but we'll need to be clicking to knock them off. Definitely cannot take them lightly.
zman1
Pro Prospect

Post#5 » by zman1 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:33 pm

Parsons is maybe the biggest worry but we held him at bay last year: zero sacks and none for their whole team. And Purdy is much better at escape than JG.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#6 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:30 pm

zman1 wrote:Parsons is maybe the biggest worry but we held him at bay last year: zero sacks and none for their whole team. And Purdy is much better at escape than JG.

And in their stadium. The one area where I think Jimmy is clearly better than Brock is seeing it and ripping it across the middle. Purdy will hold onto the ball at times, and although he's been great at escaping, that could get him in some trouble in this one. We want to try to get the ball out relatively quickly. Granted our play action game helps a lot in terms of slowing down the pass rush.
zman1
Pro Prospect

Post#7 » by zman1 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:31 pm

Sure seems like we "should" win, but will we? If can execute, I don't see how they stop us. If Dak throws us a pick, and I bet he does, then we will be in good shape. If they can harass and fluster Purdy, then advantage them. I just don't see them harassing Purdy much as Kyle will scheme them to death.
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,727

Post#8 » by CharityStripe34 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:10 pm

While the teams are mostly the same as last season, they are certainly playing differently. I still think the 49ers are the better team and we should have more success establishing our brand of balanced football. The war in the trenches will decide the game, for sure.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,250

Post#9 » by wco81 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:26 pm

Quinn and Kyle worked together. Quinn was HC and Kyle his OC when Falcons went to the SB so he knows Kyle's offense.

Cowboys are the #5 defense in the league and have more QB pressures than the 49ers from 4-man rush.

Their base is a big nickel defense, 3 safeties. 49ers are going to have to run on them.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#10 » by Jikkle » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:25 pm

I won't say we don't have any business losing this game like I did last week with Seattle but it is a game we should win.

Both teams are in a better spot than they were compared to last year's matchup but I'd argue the 9ers are the most improved compared to last year. 9er's didn't have CMC and Purdy is most certainly an upgrade over a banged-up Jimmy G.

Of course Dallas is perfectly capable of beating us and there are concerns going into this game.

The team's sluggish 1st halves are concerning to me because eventually we'll run into a team that pound us in the 1st half and make it difficult to catch back up.

Dallas is good at taking the ball away and Purdy does have his share of passes that are near misses when it comes to INT.

And honestly when the defense is on the field and it's 3rd down I look away because it's just baffling to me why they give up so many 3rd down conversions.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#11 » by Jikkle » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:26 pm

CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#12 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:53 pm

This game will likely come down to who gets more pressure on the QB, and how well those QBs deal with the pressure.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#13 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:31 pm

Jason Peters is out at LT. Despite starting the past two weeks, Peters has barely played for them this season, so they're basically just reverting to the OL situation they've had most of the season, but any disruption along the OL should help our pass rush. Hopefully Bosa can teach their rookie a thing or two.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 816

Post#14 » by arich35 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:16 pm

I love and hate playoff football. I get more nervous for these games then the birth of my kids
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,494

Post#15 » by RIPskaterdude » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:05 am

Wish the Vikings would have won last week, Eagles basically just had another bye

Return to San Francisco 49ers