ImageImageImageImageImage

Purdy-Torn UCL

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,227

Re: Purdy-Torn UCL 

Post#61 » by thesack12 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:21 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Reporting now is that the surgeon may shift course mid-surgery and have to do a more complex repair that would set back the timeline. Let's hope for the more straightforward one...

Easy for me to say since I'm not the one trying to keep my hands on a starting NFL QB job let alone going through the long ass rehab process, but if they have hesitation or questions whatsoever that this "internal brace" procedure might not result in Brock getting back to 100% they probably should just bite the bullet and do the full Tommy John procedure.

The last thing Brock needs is to have some sort of a setback or even worse later realize that the elbow still isn't fully stable which would require another surgical procedure.

Teams treat QB's with concerns about their throwing arms like the plague. So he needs to get this fixed up properly the 1st and only time in order to protect his long term career aspirations.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,894

Post#62 » by Samurai » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:29 am

thesack12 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Reporting now is that the surgeon may shift course mid-surgery and have to do a more complex repair that would set back the timeline. Let's hope for the more straightforward one...

Easy for me to say since I'm not the one trying to keep my hands on a starting NFL QB job let alone going through the long ass rehab process, but if they have hesitation or questions whatsoever that this "internal brace" procedure might not result in Brock getting back to 100% they probably should just bite the bullet and do the full Tommy John procedure.

The last thing Brock needs is to have some sort of a setback or even worse later realize that the elbow still isn't fully stable which would require another surgical procedure.

Teams treat QB's with concerns about their throwing arms like the plague. So he needs to get this fixed up properly the 1st and only time in order to protect his long term career aspirations.

Sounds like everyone (Purdy, doctor, team) is thinking one thing based on the info/MRI's they have but the doctor could see a curveball once he is inside the arm. Purdy said that is one of the reasons why he is going to Texas to have this procedure; the doctor is the Texas Rangers' doctor and UCL injuries are far more common in baseball than football. Purdy said Dr. Meister does about 200 of these types of procedures a year and considers him "the best of the best". So if Dr. Meister needs to call an audible based on what he sees in front of him, it will solely be the doctor's call as to how to proceed.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,445

Post#63 » by Big J » Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:14 pm

Calling an audible during a surgery sounds insane.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 942

Post#64 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:35 pm

Big J wrote:Calling an audible during a surgery sounds insane.

I think it's a pretty standard thing in some of these procedures. The MRIs are great, but they can't show you everything. If you get in there, and things don't look the way they're supposed to, the doctor needs to be able to adapt. And he can't do that without prior approval by the patient.
Big J
General Manager

Post#65 » by Big J » Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:35 am

Surgery postponed till March due to ongoing inflammation. Yikes bro. TB12?
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#66 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:25 pm

Not great news, but it's only a week or so and if it leads to a better result, it's well worth it.

I think regardless of what happens with Purdy, we go into this season with Lance. The offense around him should be as good if not better than it was at this time last year, assuming Big Trent doesn't hang them up. We'll have to replace McGlinchey and maybe Brendel, but those guys aren't exactly world-beaters.

And more importantly, if Lance is possibly the future, we need to see what he can do. He just didn't get a chance to show much last year. He needs sustained playing time. I find it incredibly ironic that Shanahan, who had Garoppolo as his QB for years, is apparently reluctant to let the leash off of Trey because of his performance in practices. Garoppolo is a notoriously bad practice player. But get him in a game, and he does pretty well (still not great). What if Lance is that guy, too? Even if it's ugly at times, he gets the job done. His play at North Dakota had elements of that. But we won't know unless Shanahan gets him out there and opens up the playbook.

I really hope we see Lance getting a LONG look in the preseason. The dude needs live game action.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#67 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:54 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Not great news, but it's only a week or so and if it leads to a better result, it's well worth it.

I think regardless of what happens with Purdy, we go into this season with Lance. The offense around him should be as good if not better than it was at this time last year, assuming Big Trent doesn't hang them up. We'll have to replace McGlinchey and maybe Brendel, but those guys aren't exactly world-beaters.

And more importantly, if Lance is possibly the future, we need to see what he can do. He just didn't get a chance to show much last year. He needs sustained playing time. I find it incredibly ironic that Shanahan, who had Garoppolo as his QB for years, is apparently reluctant to let the leash off of Trey because of his performance in practices. Garoppolo is a notoriously bad practice player. But get him in a game, and he does pretty well (still not great). What if Lance is that guy, too? Even if it's ugly at times, he gets the job done. His play at North Dakota had elements of that. But we won't know unless Shanahan gets him out there and opens up the playbook.

I really hope we see Lance getting a LONG look in the preseason. The dude needs live game action.

A bit concerning whether Lance will ever live up to the three first round picks that were traded away
Big J
General Manager

Post#68 » by Big J » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:18 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Not great news, but it's only a week or so and if it leads to a better result, it's well worth it.

Problem is that this team is ready to win a Super Bowl right now. We don't have time to let Lance make mistakes. Bringing in a proven vet makes the most sense.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Post#69 » by Jikkle » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:28 am

Hard to imagine Lance not starting because even if Purdy's surgery and recovery only cost him 6 months having the surgery in March if it's early in the month might have him ready week 1 with 0 offseason work. Maybe if he was an established veteran they'd do it but just don't see them rushing Purdy back out there without some practice time to get back into a football swing of things.

Also it gives the the team a perfect excuse to get Lance back in there without the team or fans going crazy. He plays well and looks like he's ascending you keep him going but if he hits a bad stretch you pop Purdy back in who should be completely ready at that point.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#70 » by Jikkle » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:43 am

Big J wrote:

Problem is that this team is ready to win a Super Bowl right now. We don't have time to let Lance make mistakes. Bringing in a proven vet makes the most sense.

You need elite QB play to win it all and we keep falling into the trap of settling for average QB play because we're so close to winning a Super Bowl with the roster we have now.

If we had elite QB play we would've had 2 maybe 3 Super Bowl titles in the last 4 years instead of 1 Super Bowl loss and 2 NFC championship losses.

I don't know if Lance is the guy but he clearly has all the tools the elite guys have and the team needs to fully commit to him to see if he can put it together and be that guy and if not keep looking.

We need a veteran option as a backup but there isn't a guy out there that we could realistically add that can go toe to toe with the other elite QBs that we'd see in a deep playoff run or Super Bowl.

I like Purdy but I fear he's just going to be a career overachiever that's popular with fans due to being that scrappy underdog type but will smash his head against his ceiling once he faces guys that can do everything he can but better.

Purdy reminds me of a Doug Flutie type that is beloved by the team, fans, and everybody but won jack squat ultimately.
Big J
General Manager

Post#71 » by Big J » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:30 pm

Jikkle wrote:
Big J wrote:

You need elite QB play to win it all and we keep falling into the trap of settling for average QB play because we're so close to winning a Super Bowl with the roster we have now.

If we had elite QB play we would've had 2 maybe 3 Super Bowl titles in the last 4 years instead of 1 Super Bowl loss and 2 NFC championship losses.

I don't know if Lance is the guy but he clearly has all the tools the elite guys have and the team needs to fully commit to him to see if he can put it together and be that guy and if not keep looking.

We need a veteran option as a backup but there isn't a guy out there that we could realistically add that can go toe to toe with the other elite QBs that we'd see in a deep playoff run or Super Bowl.

I like Purdy but I fear he's just going to be a career overachiever that's popular with fans due to being that scrappy underdog type but will smash his head against his ceiling once he faces guys that can do everything he can but better.

Purdy reminds me of a Doug Flutie type that is beloved by the team, fans, and everybody but won jack squat ultimately.

Brady and Rodgers are both capable of winning it all with the right squad. Purdy is hella limited just like Jimmy was. We need to bring in a big gun.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#72 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:06 pm

Big J wrote:

We were ready to win a super bowl last year, and the plan was to go with Lance. We had a good shot at it with Purdy, who was playing really, really well for a rookie, but ultimately wasn't necessarily lighting the world on fire. We traded a ton to get Lance. We've basically got one more year to see what we've got in him before we need to commit big money to him. We need to take advantage of it.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#73 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:12 pm

Big J wrote:
Jikkle wrote:
Big J wrote:

Brady and Rodgers are both capable of winning it all with the right squad. Purdy is hella limited just like Jimmy was. We need to bring in a big gun.

Brady is many things, but he isn't exactly a "big gun" at this point. On this squad, he could certainly run it back, but it would probably look a lot like what Purdy was doing, with less escapability. Rodgers would cost something like $16 million if we trade for him. We don't really have the picks to do so, wouldn't want to give up players, and would have to make some decent cuts and restructures to get him under the cap. Not to mention that the dude is a bit of a cancer.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#74 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:56 pm

I don't get the fascination with Brady and Rodgers that comes from a few 49er fans. Brady isn't coming back. Even if that was a possibility he isn't close to the QB he used to be and is 45 years old. Another year older would just make him even less effective. Rogers keeps choking in the playoffs. The last playoff loss was on him. The last drive he had an open guy for a first down and instead air mails a ball to the sidelines. Then throws a deep ball on third down to a thoroughly covered receiver.

As far as Lance goes, we just have to see what happens. Sure he has got a strong arm and is mobile but has he cleaned up his accuracy issues? He also needs to get the mental aspect of the game down and it is not certain he ever will. Purdy might have some physical limitations but Lance's could be mental. He could end up being an average QB with a strong arm.
Big J
General Manager

Post#75 » by Big J » Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:09 am

Pattersonca65 wrote:I don't get the fascination with Brady and Rodgers that comes from a few 49er fans. Brady isn't coming back. Even if that was a possibility he isn't close to the QB he used to be and is 45 years old. Another year older would just make him even less effective. Rogers keeps choking in the playoffs. The last playoff loss was on him. The last drive he had an open guy for a first down and instead air mails a ball to the sidelines. Then throws a deep ball on third down to a thoroughly covered receiver.

As far as Lance goes, we just have to see what happens. Sure he has got a strong arm and is mobile but has he cleaned up his accuracy issues? He also needs to get the mental aspect of the game down and it is not certain he ever will. Purdy might have some physical limitations but Lance's could be mental. He could end up being an average QB with a strong arm.

Brady just won a SB 2 years ago and Rodgers was an MVP 1 year ago.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#76 » by Pattersonca65 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:01 am

Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:I don't get the fascination with Brady and Rodgers that comes from a few 49er fans. Brady isn't coming back. Even if that was a possibility he isn't close to the QB he used to be and is 45 years old. Another year older would just make him even less effective. Rogers keeps choking in the playoffs. The last playoff loss was on him. The last drive he had an open guy for a first down and instead air mails a ball to the sidelines. Then throws a deep ball on third down to a thoroughly covered receiver.

Brady just won a SB 2 years ago and Rodgers was an MVP 1 year ago.

I'm your mid 40s you age fast when it comes to pro ball and Brady regressed alot last year. Rodgers is a better option than Brady but he has a knack for choking the playoffs. When did he last win a super bowl? When was the last time he was even in a super bowl?
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#77 » by Jikkle » Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:16 am

A couple of years ago I'd be ok with Brady but I think the combination of his age, the fact he'd have to learn a new offense, and how immobile he is I'd pass. Not to mention he's going to probably at least want 30 million to play in the first place.

Rodgers fits but he's an epic choker in the playoffs. He's another one that gets banged up and sure if he's healthy he'd likely win the MVP but he'd just choke in the divisional or championship game like he has for over a decade. Not to mention you'd have to put together a sizable trade package to land.
Big J
General Manager

Post#78 » by Big J » Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:48 pm

Jikkle wrote:A couple of years ago I'd be ok with Brady but I think the combination of his age, the fact he'd have to learn a new offense, and how immobile he is I'd pass. Not to mention he's going to probably at least want 30 million to play in the first place.

Rodgers fits but he's an epic choker in the playoffs. He's another one that gets banged up and sure if he's healthy he'd likely win the MVP but he'd just choke in the divisional or championship game like he has for over a decade. Not to mention you'd have to put together a sizable trade package to land.

So what is the alternative? Have Lance stink up the joint, and waste this teams SB window?
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#79 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Mar 1, 2023 7:35 pm

Big J wrote:
Jikkle wrote:A couple of years ago I'd be ok with Brady but I think the combination of his age, the fact he'd have to learn a new offense, and how immobile he is I'd pass. Not to mention he's going to probably at least want 30 million to play in the first place.

So what is the alternative? Have Lance stink up the joint, and waste this teams SB window?

That was the plan last year. I don't see why things have changed dramatically, except that we now have a solid fallback option if Lance is awful.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#80 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Mar 1, 2023 10:14 pm

I guess last year we had Jimmy as the fallback. But that obviously wasn't the plan going into the offseason.

Return to San Francisco 49ers