ImageImageImageImageImage

FA signings.

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

HitMan52
Starter
And1: 33

FA signings. 

Post#1 » by HitMan52 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:58 am

Even though they have been signed for about a month now. How do you guys liked them?

Nate Clements
Aubrayo Franklin
Michael Lewis
Tully Banta-Cain
Ashley Lelie
Colby Bockwoldt

Also Gore signed a 4 year contract extension worth about 27 million. So his contract is about 5 years 28 million.
ethiosew
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#2 » by ethiosew » Mon Apr 2, 2007 5:52 am

best offseason ever.
Cruel_Ruin
Head Coach
And1: 767
Location: The intersection of intellect, imagination and insanity

Post#3 » by Cruel_Ruin » Mon Apr 2, 2007 6:00 am

Definitely heading the right way.
ticknyler
Junior

Post#4 » by ticknyler » Mon Apr 2, 2007 7:57 am

over payed a little bit but so did everyone this offseason. Rather overpay for an Elite corner than give those slightly above average OG 7 mill plus a year any day.
fimslim3
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#5 » by fimslim3 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 3:39 pm

York finally decides to spend the cash, who paid him off?
bleedredandgold
Ballboy

Post#6 » by bleedredandgold » Mon Apr 2, 2007 11:36 pm

#1. Overpaid for Nate Clements???

7yrs/64mil is overpaying for clearly the 2nd best corner in football, who some believe is on the same level as Champ Bailey?

Yes yes Champ is the best but you ask around football and there are more and more people who believe Nate has closed that gap considerably. 6' 209 and can do it all...no one threw on his side and you couldnt run to his side...what else do you need?

#2. I am really getting tired of people putting down Mike Lewis...the ONLY reason he was replaced was because Sean Considine was a better deep cover man and he is faster...Lewis still had 58 tackles-1 sack-2ints...not bad for a guy who was benched for someone faster in week 5. Keep in mind...the guy was a pro bowl safety 2 years in a row before last year.

#3. Banta-Cain was a steal...period.

#4. Lelie was not so good in 06...but who was on the ATL WR corps? And to be fair...Vick isnt exactly the best passer ever either.

#5. Bockwoldt is an excellent special teams player and will be a good sub on the nickel defense.

#6. Franklin is the type of signing that Fred Robbins was for the Giants...decent backup on his previous team...will be a major player on his new team.

And no one mentioned the best move the 49ers made (or didnt make)...which was NOT signing Joey Porter...20 million guaraunteed for a 32 year old declining OLB is really the definition of overpaying.
TMACFORMVP
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#7 » by TMACFORMVP » Mon Apr 2, 2007 11:54 pm

I've love the Clements, Cain, and Lewis signing, already very good players and should fit with the team nicely. Still not sold on Lelie but hopefully he proves me wrong. Can't wait on the draft and when the season starts. We already got a ESPN game against the Bronco's even if it is pre-season lol.
TMACFORMVP
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#8 » by TMACFORMVP » Tue Apr 3, 2007 4:57 am

Interesting thought on Darrell Jackson

If the Seattle Seahawks are shopping wide receiver Darrell Jackson for a trade, as has been rumored, there could be a few takers.

The San Francisco 49ers and New Orleans Saints are teams with interest in acquiring Jackson, and there is speculation that a reunion with the former Seattle executive who chose Jackson in the third round of the 2000 draft, Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson, could happen via trade.

Source: Seattle Times

He'd be a good fit and a welcome addition imo.
JDubJazz
Analyst
And1: 4

Re: FA signings. 

Post#9 » by JDubJazz » Tue Apr 3, 2007 6:07 pm

Clements - definitely overpaid, but if thats what it takes to finally shore up our defensive backfield, then so be it.

Franklin - no opinion yet. I want to see him play.

Lewis - Solid pick up, much like Walt Harris last year. I think he'll pay dividends.

Banta-Cain - another solid pick up. If Derek Smith's eyesight issues are fixed too, our LB corp is going to be formidable.

Lelie - lots of potential, but I'm skeptical. He's better suited as a #2 guy, not a #1.

Bockwoldt - solid special teamer/backup. I watched him play in college and he's got a great motor and he's a solid hitter.

Gore - The Niners did what they had to do, though I'm concerned about all the guaranteed money for a player with his injury history. When healthy, though, Gore is a top 5 running back.
--J-Dub--
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#10 » by GS Warriors 1 » Thu Apr 5, 2007 8:31 pm

ethiosew wrote:best offseason ever.

No.

I think it was a good free agent period for them, not great.

They overpaid for Clements, he's not on Bailey's level but he is a solid corner that is an upgrade over Harris/Spencer. I think Spencer benefits from this in the long run as he's better suited at covering the opponents #2 option.

Aubrayo Franklin was a backup NT. All I know is that he was in BAL during Nolan's run as DC.

Michael Lewis was benched last year, so its a risky signing. He could likely be an upgrade over the other Lewis but M. Lewis being bad in coverage is what got Tony Parrish in trouble last year. If he could return to form, then its a good signing.

Banta-Cain, again, was a backup but he seemed to play well filling in for Seau last season.

Lelie is pretty much Antonio Bryant.

I'm going to wait until the draft to ultimately judge their offseason.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,749

Re: FA signings. 

Post#11 » by gswhoops » Fri Apr 6, 2007 12:59 am

Nate Clements (7yrs/$64M) Grade: B+

The Niners overpayed for Clements, no doubt. But they did get one of the top 5 players in the league at a position we need for a deal that is not unreasonable. We were bidding against ourseleves at the end in a move pulled straight from the Chris Mullin textbook, but at least we were willing to spend what it takes to grab one of the top players in the league. He will be a great addition to our secondary.

Aubrayo Franklin (3yrs/$9M) Grade: C

I'd like to give Nolan the benefit of the doubt here, since he's worked with Franklin before and he's had a pretty good track record so far, but all I see is a big toilet clogger who we could have gotten for a lot cheaper than we did. Nolan's past is the only thing that stops this from being in the D range. I might be eating my words here come the regular season.

Michael Lewis (6yrs/$?M) Grade: Inc.

Without knowing the size/language of the deal, I can't really grade Lewis properly, but he's a great run-stuffing safety who has also been to the Pro Bowl. He and Clements will be huge additions to the secondary.

Tully Banta-Cain (3yrs/$12M) Grade: B+/A-

I love this guy and was pushing hard for us to sign him. I think he's got the potential to be a difference maker on defense. It seems like every time I watched a Pats game he was always right in the QB's face, making plays. He and ManLaw will be a great OLB combo. A very underrated signing IMO.

Ashley Lelie (2yrs/$4M) Grade: B

Low risk, high reward. If he's the same Lelie who lead the league in YPC one year, then we scored big time. If he's the same Lelie who played for Atlanta, who would only run in a straight line and dropped passes, then its almost nothing out of pocket for us.

Colby Bockwoldt (unknown) Grade: Who Cares

Special teamer. Whatever.

Frank Gore (extension) (5yrs/$28M) Grade: A

Locked up some of our own. Gore lead the NFC in rushing and I'm glad we made sure he never hit the FA market, where I think he would have made a lot more than this. He's making about the same $ than Ahman Green will make in Houston next year, and does anyone doubt who will have a better season?

Return to San Francisco 49ers