ImageImageImageImageImage

49ers Draft

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

tebor
Head Coach
And1: 0

Post#41 » by tebor » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:37 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I was not saying primary receivers are never taken out of the first round. I was saying I wouldn't have much faith in any of those being drafted this year becoming primaries beyond the first round.

Probably one or two will, but it's really low odds. It's like counting on a second round NBA player to be a starter...it happens, but I wouldn;t plan around it happening.

I don't quite see the relationship between the 2nd round of a different sport and the NFL... Sorry.

You may have less faith but history disagrees. I'd be quite comfortable drafting a 2nd or 3rd rounder at the WR when it's so deep. We say we need a #1 but if VD can perform next year like he is capable of we have the guy we need to stretch the field at a position no one can match. Similar to the success in San Diego, it's obvious you don't NEED a top WR to succeed.

Off of that point however, we should try and gather at least two #2 type guys who will just force teams to play 7 in the box and let Gore run free. If we can do that we'll be a dangerous offense.
Bac2Basics
RealGM
And1: 3
Location: "Are you like a crazy person? I'm quite sure they will say so."

Post#42 » by Bac2Basics » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:40 am

I saw were Ted Ginn Jr. had a bad workout with some scouts a few days ago (something about not being all the way recovered from an injury), but everyone's still saying that he'll be a good pro.

There's a chance he could slip into our 2nd round slot, but it's unlikely, most of the mock drafts I've seen lately have him going somewhere around the mid 20's in the first round. If there was a team around there looking to trade down, we could offer them something like a 2nd and a 4th to move up and take him in that range.

With as many 4th round picks as the team has, using one of them to trade up would make sense if they wanted to do it.

Under this idea, we'd have 2 1sts and a 3rd, 3-4ths, a 5th and a 6th.
ticknyler
Junior

Post#43 » by ticknyler » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:46 am

most players drafted outside round 1, are not expected to be starters right away anyways. Hell, even most reciever in round 1 unless you are Moss dont make an impact in the 1st year. Recievers is one of the hardest posisiton to predict and rarely have an imediate impact. Reggie Wayne, Santana moss, and Burress were all round 1 picks, they all took 2-3 years to even become a # 2 reciever. Same with chad, who was taken in the 2nd. Steve Smith blossomed in his 3rd year as a 3rd round pick. Boldin was in round 2 and he had a huge rookie impact. Michael Colston was a 6th round pick and had an immediate impact......you just can never tell and there is a very slight edge that a 1st round pick REC can produce more than a later pick.

1 reason for that could be that 1st round picks are often used on player with a high potential where later picks are on guys that didnt blow you away at the combine, but just produced somehow someway.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,745

Post#44 » by gswhoops » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:41 pm

I don't see why anyone has us taking a running back. We have Gore cemented as the starter (obviously) with Robinson and Hicks backing him up. We have plenty of depth at RB.

I don't know in what order they'll be picked, but I hope we come out of day 1 with some combo of DE/DT/ILB/WR/RT. Something like Willis/Crowder/Smith/Harris would be great.
ticknyler
Junior

Post#45 » by ticknyler » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:30 am

because Robinson is unproven and hicks is OK at best. I mean, if gore went down for 6 weeks, would you honestly feel comfortable with any of them carrying the load. Id probably pack the season in. I wouldnt even mind bringing in Chris Brown from Tenn for a little insurance on a 1-2 year deal for the right price.
edney2polynice_
Senior

Post#46 » by edney2polynice_ » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:24 am

POMPEI'S BRANCH REPORT IS RIGHT?

A league source tells us that Dan Pompei's recent report regarding the presence of stress fractures in the lowerlegs of defensive tackle Alan Branch is on the money.

"Pompei is right," said the source. "There is no doubt he is right. I don't know where he got his info but he is dead right. That's all I can say."

A source with knowledge of Branch's condition disputed Pompei's report on Thursday, calling the problem shin splints, at worst.

The problem, as we understand it, is that different doctors view the medical evidence differently. In this case, there's an issue as to whether there's a "blackline" in an MRI of Branch's legs and, if so, whether it is proof of astress fracture.

Some teams/doctors believe it does. Others don't.

from pft

I found this on another message board, I woonder if this will make Branch fall even further?
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 274

Post#47 » by Hopper15 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:44 pm

Maiocco thinks it's between Willis and Levi Brown if they stay at 11.
-bob-
RealGM
And1: 41

Post#48 » by -bob- » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:48 pm

Three picks till we pick, Okoye and Willis are still on the board. I'd be okay with either but I say we should trade down and take Alan Branch.
ethiosew
Rookie

Post#49 » by ethiosew » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:13 pm

Niners on the clock, do we take Willis?
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,477

Post#50 » by RIPskaterdude » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:19 pm

We took Willis.

I figured that would happen, all the Mock drafts were pretty dead on with that pick.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,508

Post#51 » by Harry Palmer » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:20 pm

Willis. Nice pick.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
ethiosew
Rookie

Post#52 » by ethiosew » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:21 pm

Patrick Willis :clap: :rockon:
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by Harry Palmer » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:32 pm

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
SactownHrtBrks8
Lead Assistant
And1: 68

Post#54 » by SactownHrtBrks8 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:36 pm

GOod pick.... I know he'll at least be decent, let's hope he tunrs in to a hard-hitting stud
thanew_
Freshman

Post#55 » by thanew_ » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:42 pm

what a great offseason so far, especially if that djax trade goes through.
"...put your cape on" - Ronny Turiaf (11/1/06)
TMACFORMVP
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#56 » by TMACFORMVP » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:51 pm

Willis seems like a real solid player. Has a lot of nice tools and seems he can help the team nicely immediately. Good choice!
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by Harry Palmer » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:37 pm

Niners traded next year's first rounder AND a 4th this year to take Joe Staley.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
darobster17
Sixth Man

Post#58 » by darobster17 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:49 pm

Joe Staley???...Niners dealt a future first rounder and 4th round pick and got an offensive tackle. Can anyone tell me why they didn't use that pick to get a Wide out like Dwayne Jarrett???

Doe that mean that the Niners are probably going to try to get Darrell Jackson? via trade or does this deal nix that notion.

It's a make or break season now for Alex Smith.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,477

Post#59 » by RIPskaterdude » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:12 pm

That doesn't make any sense. We could have easily gave up our 2nd, 4th, and 6th for something like that. But I guess the Niners feel that a player with Stanley's potential would be a 15-25 pick next year. Besides, with the money we put into the offseason so far, a trade like this is basically a statement that it is playoffs or bust. We finally got management to open their wallets, so we better make sure to take advantage of it.

We also might still make that trade for DJax since it was for our 3rd 4th round pick (we traded our 2nd 4th round to NE). If we don't get a WR in the 2nd round, then you can pretty guarantee he'll be in a Niners uniform next season.
Sacramento_King
Rookie
And1: 76

Post#60 » by Sacramento_King » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:28 pm

xx_skaterdude_xx wrote:That doesn't make any sense. We could have easily gave up our 2nd, 4th, and 6th for something like that. But I guess the Niners feel that a player with Stanley's potential would be a 15-25 pick next year. Besides, with the money we put into the offseason so far, a trade like this is basically a statement that it is playoffs or bust. We finally got management to open their wallets, so we better make sure to take advantage of it.

We also might still make that trade for DJax since it was for our 3rd 4th round pick (we traded our 2nd 4th round to NE). If we don't get a WR in the 2nd round, then you can pretty guarantee he'll be in a Niners uniform next season.

Basically, I think Nolan is saying we are making the playoffs this year and that pick will be in the twenties. I think just by picking him up and benching Kwame, we should get a win or two improvement. If we stink and that pick is in the tens, boo, bad deal. Let's finalize DJax and go out and make the playoffs now.

Return to San Francisco 49ers