ImageImage

"Start / more playing time for Tony Gwynn JR." Ban

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Buck4Life
Head Coach
And1: 1

"Start / more playing time for Tony Gwynn JR." Ban 

Post#1 » by Buck4Life » Sat May 12, 2007 8:50 pm

After tonight's performance I really bought into starting Gwynn as our LEADOFF hitter. Or at least giving him more time over guys like Hart and Mench.

Our inconsistant offensive production (even tyho it has been productive enough overall) is IMO due to our lack of a true leadoff hitter. I believe Gwynn could be IT. The dude gets on base and runs the bases better then anyone on our team. I dont care where he starts as long as he starts. Yes, I know its only one game and I know that you shouldnt try to fix what isnt broken. But he just seems like a perfect fit to complete our lineup (along with the son call up of braun..hopefully).

Who is with me on this?

:D
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#2 » by Buck You » Sat May 12, 2007 8:55 pm

I'm with you. But we are winning, let's not change anything.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,775

Post#3 » by Ayt » Sat May 12, 2007 8:56 pm

I disagree that our offense has been inconsistent. I wouldn't mind seeing Gwynn play more as long as he continues to hit well. Our RF production has been terrible.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,389

Post#4 » by MickeyDavis » Sat May 12, 2007 9:07 pm

Yeah we've been winning but nothing works for a 162 game season. You have to tinker. Playing time needs to be earned. Gwynn is earning it, he needs to play more.
livestrong4ever
General Manager
And1: 140

Post#5 » by livestrong4ever » Sat May 12, 2007 9:12 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Yeah we've been winning but nothing works for a 162 game season. You have to tinker. Playing time needs to be earned. Gwynn is earning it, he needs to play more.

I dont see how you cant play him more after watching him hit and play pretty good defense.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#6 » by xTitan » Sat May 12, 2007 9:37 pm

I like Gwynn but at this point he is not an everyday player, 1 great start against an aweful pitcher does not a season make, plus I don't think TG is physically strong enough to play everyday. I think a healthy Corey Hart should play everyday, he has the speed of Gwynn plus power, I would not be opposed to Mench getting dealt and TG taking some of his playing time, Mench has an aweful OB%.
goirish2107
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#7 » by goirish2107 » Sat May 12, 2007 9:58 pm

if it were up to me mench is gone and hart/gwynn platoon. gwynn should be leading off for this team, we can't afford to have the current weeks at number 1. well obviously we can, but we could really use gwynn up there. rickie won't be leadoff forever, who is the likely candidtate? i see no one unless we trade for one, and we should be trading for pitching help. the only other thing holding it back imo is that braun will be up and yost doesn't want the whole team to average an age of 11.8
ryanbraun75
Ballboy

Post#8 » by ryanbraun75 » Sat May 12, 2007 10:22 pm

here's the best solution: Platoon TGJ and Corey hart this year. they both deserve a lot of playing time and i think that its hard to give it to them so the best solution is to platoon them. But next year we move one of them to left and then the other in right. But obviously one of the problems is the lack of a leadoff hitter who can get on base. TGJ is the one
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#9 » by crkone » Sun May 13, 2007 12:47 am

The title of this thread made me think you wanted to ban tony gwynn jr. from playing more or starting more. But I totally think he should platoon RF for Righties even though he can hit anyone right now it seems. Even if he can't steal bases with the best of them, he can consistently get on base this year and thats what a leadoff man is for.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,389

Post#10 » by MickeyDavis » Sun May 13, 2007 2:08 am

I also don't think he's ready for every day. But I think 2 starts a week + pinch hitting is about right for now.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#11 » by Mags FTW » Sun May 13, 2007 4:45 am

Substitute Gwynn and Braun for Counsell and Graff, and I don't know how you can stop that lineup.
Wise1
RealGM
And1: 256

Post#12 » by Wise1 » Sun May 13, 2007 5:58 am

Some how, some way Gwynn needs to play.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,775

Post#13 » by Ayt » Sun May 13, 2007 9:55 am

I'm not a big Gwynn fan -- I've thought he's been hugely overhyped by a lot of people -- but with how bad RF has been for us I see no reason not to give him a small shot at more PT; he's a better option than Mench. I'd also like to see Gross more, but he's not swinging a good bat so far. Hopefully Hart can get it going as well.
Wise1
RealGM
And1: 256

Post#14 » by Wise1 » Sun May 13, 2007 2:04 pm

I think Gwynn gives the team more than both Mench and Gross. He's got a great arm and that speed is a great asset.
brewcityboii
Rookie

Post#15 » by brewcityboii » Sun May 13, 2007 4:00 pm

TGJ is good yall but he is still so young and needs to keep playing this way to EARN his time there is no sense in crowning him after one good start. I understand he is playing well but Rickie is a good option at the leadoff he is struggling so far this season but still has an OBP of .347. Yes I know Gwynn's is at .482 but he has only been up 32 times and I just don't think he is ready to be an everyday guy. But let him keep developing and we should have a solid leadoff man for years to come. I am just not ready to hand it all to him now. But I definetly thinks he deserves 2 starts a week.
BuckFan25226
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,010

Post#16 » by BuckFan25226 » Mon May 14, 2007 6:29 pm

I don't get it, you guys have a stud IMO in Gwynn Jr, and he's not being utilized. Instead you are letting Hall develop in center field when he's not a center fielder. I don't understand why Gwynn isn't your everyday lead off hitter playing Center while Hall is moved to 3rd. Hardy in the 2 hole, fielder in the 3, Weeks at 4, Hall 5, Jenks/Mench 6 and so on.

I also don't completely believe in "Well, it's working, so lets not change anything". Things should always be shaken up from time to time. TLR will make constant adjustments if he's lost 8 in a row or won 8 in a row. I would love to have Gwynn as the successor to Edmonds in Center.
"didnt you watch the game with the raptors?bucks is also a playoff team ,they have enough ability to find wins from dalas and utach,
blow jazzs bitches and mavericks bitches out !"

- yiyiyi
Shaq Fu
Junior

Post#17 » by Shaq Fu » Mon May 14, 2007 7:30 pm

Hall is in center because braun is our future at 3...otherwise I would agree with you.
BuckFan25226
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by BuckFan25226 » Mon May 14, 2007 8:03 pm

Shaq Fu wrote:Hall is in center because braun is our future at 3...otherwise I would agree with you.

Let me ask you this, and let me first say I know Braun is a player. And I also know he'll never be a defensive stud at 3rd. But is he a better 3rd basemen then Gwynn Jr is a center fielder? I would always make decisions with the importance on defense, not offense.

If Braun is in your future or sure. Then why not have Gwynn at Center, Hall in RF when Braun comes up? To me that's one sick outfield with Jenks and Mench platooning.
"didnt you watch the game with the raptors?bucks is also a playoff team ,they have enough ability to find wins from dalas and utach,

- yiyiyi
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#19 » by trwi7 » Mon May 14, 2007 9:09 pm

BuckFan25226 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Let me ask you this, and let me first say I know Braun is a player. And I also know he'll never be a defensive stud at 3rd. But is he a better 3rd basemen then Gwynn Jr is a center fielder? I would always make decisions with the importance on defense, not offense.

If Braun is in your future or sure. Then why not have Gwynn at Center, Hall in RF when Braun comes up? To me that's one sick outfield with Jenks and Mench platooning.

So you want Gwynn to start over Hart? That's ridiculous.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
BuckFan25226
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by BuckFan25226 » Mon May 14, 2007 11:23 pm

trwi7 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

So you want Gwynn to start over Hart? That's ridiculous.

Yes, because the great Corey Hart has proven to all that he should be there everyday.

- yiyiyi

Return to Milwaukee Brewers