"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Re: Darko's annual offseason thread 

Post#103 » by Bulltalk » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:38 am

I guess we're just going to have to wait and see on these guys. According to the common draft boards (they're oftentimes wrong), we reached a little on both of these guys. But our management must have really liked them to have nabbed them then.

We're just going to have to wait and see.

But I have ZERO problem with the philosophy of beefing up the OL. We needed to do that. Hopefully we can get another OLman in FAcy. That guy from Oakland would be nice.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#104 » by Bulltalk » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:43 am

Mason Foster to Tampa Bay. They got themselves a guy who just knows how to play football. Great pick for them.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
nuke the whales
Junior
And1: 6

Post#105 » by nuke the whales » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:21 pm

So we take an OLB with our first 4th? I thought taking a LB later wasn't a bad idea, but here when we have more pressing needs?
TTown
Bench Warmer
And1: 11

Post#106 » by TTown » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:44 pm

Georgia WR Kris Durham with our next 4th rounder.
ImageImageImageImage
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#107 » by Bulltalk » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:57 pm

It seems like the Whright pick was simply a value pick. Sounds like a multi-dimensional LB who can play. The Durham pick puzzled me a bit, but we'll see.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#108 » by Bulltalk » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:08 pm

Here we go.

1st Round

James Carpenter OL (Projected to be our new RT)

3rd Round

John Moffitt OL (Projected to be our new RG)

4th Round

K. J. Whright OLB (Projected to be pass rushing/coverage LB; special teams player)
Kris Durham WR (Projected to make roster as 4th or 5th receiver)

5th Round

Richard Sherman CB (Tall CB, decent speed, projected to compete for rotation)
Mark LeGree S (Projected to eventually compete for playing time; special teams player)

Well the marquee draft gurus are certainly dumping on us for our picks. Only time will tell. But it's certainly not a sexy draft.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#109 » by Sweezo » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:37 pm

Bulltalk wrote:It seems like the Whright pick was simply a value pick. Sounds like a multi-dimensional LB who can play. The Durham pick puzzled me a bit, but we'll see.

Really? I thought it all fits right in with what PC wants to do. Big DBs who can play man and press coverage. Ballhawking safeties who can help over the top and create turnovers. A strong OL designed to make a push upfield for the RB. Big WR who can play the edges and run block while creating a target due to their size.

I don't know much about the talent level of the picks, but they're picking guys that fit the model of what they want to do.

Based on last season, I don't believe that the team is comfortable with Whitehurst as its QB, so there has to be a plan to bring someone else in. Do they have a trade worked out for future picks [Kolb, Palmer]? Do they take a chance on Vince Young? I don't know, but it seemed clear last year that PC didn't want to rely on Hass but was forced to because Whitehurst was a bit of a let down. I'm interested to see what they have in mind once this stupid lockout ends.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#110 » by Sweezo » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:39 pm

Bulltalk wrote:Well the marquee draft gurus are certainly dumping on us for our picks. Only time will tell. But it's certainly not a sexy draft.

That's true, but then again the major networks spend most of their time discussing skill positions. We're focusing on less glamorous positions that don't generate as much attention.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#111 » by Bulltalk » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:57 pm

Sweezo wrote:
Bulltalk wrote:It seems like the Whright pick was simply a value pick. Sounds like a multi-dimensional LB who can play. The Durham pick puzzled me a bit, but we'll see.

Really? I thought it all fits right in with what PC wants to do. Big DBs who can play man and press coverage. Ballhawking safeties who can help over the top and create turnovers. A strong OL designed to make a push upfield for the RB. Big WR who can play the edges and run block while creating a target due to their size.

You're probably right in your assessment, Sweezo. What I meant by what I said was simply that it seemed, from what I could gather, that Whright was a good "value pick" there irregardless of the considerations you mentioned, unlike what some of our others picks were perceived as being in this regard. We may have needed another S or CB more there, but Whright was perhaps too good to pass up at that time, if that makes any sense. That's all.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#112 » by Sweezo » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:04 pm

I listened to an interesting take on it all by Rob Rang on KJR a minute ago. He was asked a rather simple question: Why are you upbeat about the Seahawks draft when all the other draft pundits question? His reasoning: I watch the Seahawks, they don't. I thought that was a fair point; he felt the OL was abysmal/embarrassing the past few seasons and the primary reason for the team's offensive struggles.

He's probably right. The one true great run any Seahawk fan can recall last season involved a RB who was hit at the line...and simply refused to go down.

While others may think the Seahawks' picks were reaches, Rang thinks most of the picks make sense for the Seahawks. He's seen us struggle to run the ball. He's seen Kelly Jennings fail repeatedly.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#113 » by Bulltalk » Sun May 1, 2011 1:25 am

Sweezo wrote:I listened to an interesting take on it all by Rob Rang on KJR a minute ago. He was asked a rather simple question: Why are you upbeat about the Seahawks draft when all the other draft pundits question? His reasoning: I watch the Seahawks, they don't. I thought that was a fair point; he felt the OL was abysmal/embarrassing the past few seasons and the primary reason for the team's offensive struggles.

He's probably right. The one true great run any Seahawk fan can recall last season involved a RB who was hit at the line...and simply refused to go down.

While others may think the Seahawks' picks were reaches, Rang thinks most of the picks make sense for the Seahawks. He's seen us struggle to run the ball. He's seen Kelly Jennings fail repeatedly.

Well if we do sign Robert Gallery as a FA, this at least gives us something to look forward to, a pretty young and big offensive line that Tom Cable can mold to his way of doing things:

--LT Russell Okung (Age 24)
--LG Robert Gallery (Age 30)
--C Max Unger (Age 25)
--RG John Moffitt (Age 24)
--RT James Carpenter (Age 22)

I do feel better there than I did a few days ago. That's for sure. I hope things pan-out.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#114 » by Sweezo » Sun May 1, 2011 2:37 am

I'd really like to see the team re-sign Spencer. Unger would be a good swing guy [C/G] and God knows we need the depth.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#115 » by Bulltalk » Tue May 3, 2011 1:59 am

Well...nothing much more but to wait and see what comes of this stalemate between owners and players. Ho-hum.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,414

Post#116 » by Danny Darko » Thu May 19, 2011 5:32 pm

in Sando's espn chat today I had this convo:
Dan Grimm

Mike, what do you make of the Mebane situation playing out for Seattle? I understand he's not worth big big franchise type of money, but is there any viable options if he walks? I was surprised that he threw teammates under the bus when talking about his own production and stated that he wasn't in the plans for the team.
Mike Sando (1:18 PM)

Brandon Mebane's situation is a classic example of what happens when new leadership takes over. The new leadership values inherited players only to a point. The new leadership hears about how great Mebane can be, shrugs a little bit and says to itself, 'We'll be fine either way.' Seattle values Mebane more after not addressing the defensive tackle position in the draft, but the team isn't going to back up the Brinks truck, either.

I'm assuming you saw Mebanes article where he felt unwanted and not in the plans after receiving 3rd round tender. Then went on to basically say Cole sucks and he would have played better with better talent around him
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#117 » by TTown » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:56 am

CenturyLink Field.

Well, that's... kind of lame.
ImageImageImageImage
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#118 » by Ex-hippie » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:21 am

TTown wrote:CenturyLink Field.

Well, that's... kind of lame.

We'll call it the CLink for short. Nobody escapes the CLink!
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#119 » by TTown » Sun Jul 3, 2011 4:21 pm

According to Softy, we offered a 1st and a 3rd for Kolb at some point before the lockout. Take it for what it's worth, Softy's pretty stupid.

Man, we need some football news.
ImageImageImageImage
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#120 » by Sweezo » Sat Jul 9, 2011 11:35 pm

TTown wrote:According to Softy, we offered a 1st and a 3rd for Kolb at some point before the lockout. Take it for what it's worth, Softy's pretty stupid.

My thought is that's too damn much to pay for Kolb. But it all sort of depends on what the new CBA ends up being. I can't think our salary commitments at the moment are too high. Maybe the team gets Kolb and then spends a **** load of money on a WR/CB/DT/LG and goes for broke in the NFC West. I don't know.

TTown wrote:Man, we need some football news.

No kidding. It's depressing coming here, or even reading any of the better Seahawks blogs out there. There is just nothing to really discuss. It's even a chore to listen to sports radio any more...all they seem to talk about now is [1] when will the NFL lockout end, [2] when will the NBA lockout end, and [3] OMG Derek Jeter's going to get 3000 hits he is the best player ever!!!!

My interest in either of those topics is pretty slim.

Return to Seattle Seahawks