Moderator: Cactus Jack

Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Re: Game 6: Seahawks vs Brady Bunch 

Post#21 » by Sweezo » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:38 pm

Some thoughts now that by brain is back inside my skull:

[1] After throwing for nearly 300 yards and 3 TDs, I think Wilson's earned the right to turn on sports radio tomorrow morning and not have a litany of people calling for Flynn to take his job. His development has been steady and today, while not perfect, he did enough to pull out a late win. He drove the team downfield with the clock ticking to take a lead, and was a threat with deep passes.

[2] For all my bitching about the defense in the first half, they did enough to shut me up in the second half. They just look so close--SO CLOSE--to being able to put a chokehold on every opponent they face.

[3] The Rams lost. The Cardinals lost. The Niners lost [and lost badly]. We're suddenly TIED for first in the division with wins over the Cowboys, Packers, and Patriots. Yeah. That's something. Now let's march into SF and stomp all over the Niners...
nuke the whales
Junior
And1: 6

Post#22 » by nuke the whales » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:15 am

Let's see, we WON the penalty battle 4-35 to 6-80. We had passes of 51, 50, and 46 yards, plus the Sidney Rice pass (!!) that got a pass interference penalty. We picked Brady twice after he had gone the last 122,000 or whatever attempts without an int, although that could have been 4 instead of 2. We won despite giving up 475 yards on defense, only rushing for 85 yards as a team, our punter fumbling a punt, and losing the time of possession battle by 8 minutes. This was a game that we probably shouldn't have won, and I'll say it: I don't think Tavaris or Flynn would have won this game. Talk about who should be the starting QB shouldn't just be stopped temporarily, it should be dead and buried.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by Sweezo » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:53 am

nuke the whales wrote:This was a game that we probably shouldn't have won, and I'll say it: I don't think Tavaris or Flynn would have won this game. Talk about who should be the starting QB shouldn't just be stopped temporarily, it should be dead and buried.

Definitely. I think the points about Tarvaris and Flynn are solid. Tarvaris was decidedly poor when the clock mattered, and Flynn might not have the cannon that Wilson does. Wilson averaged 10.9 YPA with 3 TD today...that's elite level QB play.
TTown
Bench Warmer
And1: 11

Post#24 » by TTown » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:25 am

we did some things today with wilson we wouldn't have done the first few weeks of the season. hopefully in another few weeks we'll look back at the wilson we saw today and we'll think 'man, we've really opened the playbook for him since then'. he's a smart kid, i can't wait until he's given the keys to the kingdom. to weather the rookie qb storm and still be 4-2 is fantastic. my 'best case scenario' going into this year (once wilson beat out flynn) was 10-6, a wild card berth, and setting up a lot of momentum for what could/should be a monster 2013. through six weeks, i think we're on pace to think that's a legitimate possibility...

we beat mr. uggz-for-men in a game where he set a CAREER high in pass attempts. you tell me before the game that brady throws the ball 57 (?) times and i'll bet you twenty bucks the pats just dropped 56 on us. all those years that brady had almost zero run game, and he sets a career high in attempts in a game where the 'rejuvinated' pats run game has gone for 200+ in back to back weeks for the first time since the 70s?

8-0 at home is not only possible, i'm expecting it now... even in this suddenly loaded/awesome nfc west. we've got one road win, let's go get another thursday! speaking of thursday, oregon plays arizona state at the same time. thursday will be my sophie's choice.
ImageImageImageImage
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,399

Post#25 » by Danny Darko » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:33 pm

Haha Sherm is at it again: Sherm Gloats

Also this was pretty nice:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk7BL3V5KhA[/youtube]
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by Sweezo » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:42 am

Regardless of who the QB is, I think most Seahawks fans can agree that team is at least on the right track.

Compare that to the situation in Cleveland: A 1-5 team with a lot of holes and a 29 year old rookie QB. When the decision was being made to decide on the right person to turn this franchise around, a lot of people wanted Mike Holmgren to man the helm again.

I, personally, did not because I thought Holmgren's talents best served him as a coach, not a front office type. Which isn't to say I was thrilled about the idea of hiring Pete. I had extreme doubts about his abilities as an evaluator of NFL talent and coaching ability.

But flash forward a couple years later, and suddenly Holmgren finds himself without a job at the end of the year. Meanwhile, the Seahawks are 4-2 in possibly the toughest division in football [really?]. We have a defense that is lauded as possibly one of the top two defenses in the league. Russell Wilson garnered praise from guys like Tom Jackson on ESPN, Ron Jaworski was gushing about how tough the Seahawks' secondary is on Mike & Mike, Bobby Wagner's quietly slipping into the Defensive ROY conversation...I don't see the Seahawks ever becoming the center of the media universe, but they're entering the national conversation for reasons other than fluke wins on questionable calls.

What a huge decision. If we'd gone with the safe choice--the known quantity--I don't think it's incorrect to think our current roster could resemble what the Browns have. Holmgren certainly doesn't seem the type to build defense-first, and building defense-first is the reason we have a team that many of us think has a chance at the playoffs.

Return to Seattle Seahawks