draft'n

Moderator: Cactus Jack

TTown
Bench Warmer
And1: 11

draft'n 

Post#1 » by TTown » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:37 pm

no first rounder, but no need to list all the mid-round gems this front office have found in recent years... i'm still expecting a good haul. what're you guys expecting? hoping for?
ImageImageImageImage
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Re: draft'n 

Post#2 » by Sweezo » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:50 am

Boy is it frustrating to draft a long post on here and see it eaten by the internet. It's happened to me several times since I switched from a PC to a Mac and it's unpleasant.

Basically, whomever the team drafts I will be thrilled with because they've proven to me that they know what they are doing. Still, I'm interested to see how the team values and targets guys like Stefan Charles and Kyle Juszczyk. Charles is this seemingly under-the-radar DT from Canada who's visited with teams like the Seahawks and Texans. You don't see his name pop up on many rather thorough mock drafts but he's probably going somewhere. As for other DT/DE types, Joe Simon's an unheralded/undersized DE/DT who did nothing but generate pressure at Ohio State. Davis Hsu's making an interesting argument about trying to find the next J.J. Watt in this [or any] draft and notes Joe Kruger [brother of Paul] shares a decent amount of physical traits in common with Watt. Would he be a possible fit as a late round pick five tech.?

Juszczyk is this interesting FB/TE out of Harvard whose highlight reel on YouTube is a treat. A trail of would-be tacklers left on the turf. Countless passes tracked and caught deep down field. Helmet-popping blocks. He could fit on the team somewhere as an heir apparent to Michael Robinson.

Given Sidney Rice's cap hit and Tate approaching the time to either pony up an extension or move on, seeing the team target Quinton Patton or Ryan Swope in the 2nd wouldn't be a complete shock. Which is better? Stocking up for the future at a position where the team is set heading into the season, or spending a high pick on a WLB?

If the team sees a guy they see as a difference maker like Khaseem Greene in the 2nd I think he could be an option, or perhaps they wait a couple rounds and see if Jelani Jenkins is available in the 4th?

As for OL, last year proved the team has no problem drafting a guy late with good physical specs but little experience and seeing if Cable can make something of them. There's a couple guys like Quesenberry, Marquandt, and Michael Williams who are impressive physically but come from a lower level of competition or don't have much OL experience. I expect we'll land one of them.

At TE, there's several options. Do they pounce if a guy like Eifert, Ertz, or Kelce falls into their lap? I'm certain the team grabs at least one TE to either compliment or potentially replace Miller. Miller's cap number is huge this year but it dips significantly next season. Still, could the team replace Miller after this season and allocate the savings towards a guy like Earl Thomas? Given his cost and injury history relative to overall production?

BTW it's fascinating to see how the Seahawks blogs have adapted to PC/JS. I think lessons have been learned. Last year, Seahawks Draft Blog really pounded the table for the Courtney Upshaw pick. And reality was something very different. Both Seahawks Draft Blog and Field Gulls have done a good job of keeping track of who the Seahawks have visited, and focusing on the types of attributes PC/JS have concentrated on in prior drafts.
nuke the whales
Junior
And1: 6

Post#3 » by nuke the whales » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:27 am

A lot depends on whether we're looking for a starter or backup at DT OLB, and RT/G. After that things like backup TE, 3rd RB, and depth at CB, S, and DE. Based on this offseason, we'd appear to be in win now mode. That would seem to preclude using earlier picks for insurance for guys about to leave. It wouldn't surprise me to see us look for a kicker either in the 7th or as a free agent to come in and compete for a job. I personally would like to see us get a kick returner so that our highly paid durability challenged new acquisition isn't doing that.
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#4 » by TTown » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:47 pm

if he's available, i'd love to pick up marcus lattimore. if you believe his knee issues have just been fluky, which i do, i think he's got a top 10 grade.
ImageImageImageImage
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Sweezo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:19 am

TTown wrote:if he's available, i'd love to pick up marcus lattimore. if you believe his knee issues have just been fluky, which i do, i think he's got a top 10 grade.

It depends on the pick. He tore his knee up pretty good...twice. If we're talking about 6-7 round then I think it's a fantastic gamble, as you're probably hoping he's going to be ready two season from now. But anything sooner than leaves me wondering if there was a better way to spend the pick.
nuke the whales
Junior

Post#6 » by nuke the whales » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:31 am

A few mocks I saw had us taking Kyle Long in the 2nd. He just went to the Bears at 20. OL flying off the board early.
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,655

Post#7 » by Brandon-Clyde » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:05 am

If Geno Smith or Matt Barkley are available when the team picks in the 2nd rd do you draft either to back up Russ even though qb is not a current major need?
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
nuke the whales
Junior

Post#8 » by nuke the whales » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:09 am

If we draft a QB in the 2nd it's to trade to someone else.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Sweezo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:20 am

nuke the whales wrote:A few mocks I saw had us taking Kyle Long in the 2nd. He just went to the Bears at 20. OL flying off the board early.

Conversely, seeing the DT group slide made me fear some stud DT like Sharif Floyd was going to be available at 25. I like the Harvin trade but it would have been a bit deflating if certain players were still around waiting to be chosen.

Brandon-Clyde wrote:If Geno Smith or Matt Barkley are available when the team picks in the 2nd rd do you draft either to back up Russ even though qb is not a current major need?

No. Maybe in the 4th but not in the 2nd. There are other teams who'd be more interested in Smith or Barkley and I'd been more than happy to move down a couple spots to accommodate them in exchange for another pick.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Sweezo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:18 am

Anyone have thoughts on how the 1st round went? Of the three competing teams in our division, I'd say the Rams made the moves that pose the biggest threat. Austin is an awesome weapon the likes of which Bradford's never had as a pro, and Ogletree's has scary potential at WLB. Sure, he's got issues and might implode, but the Rams did just fine with Janoris Jenkins in a similar situation last year.

Neither pick made by the Niners or Cardinals really scares me. The Cardinals were desperate for help on the line so they took a guard very early, and Reid might be a good safety but he's a downgrade from Goldson. PC/JS would never take a guard that highly...it's awesome having a front office that can focus on certain positions late in the draft and a coaching staff that can be trusted to coach them up.
Yunsen
Senior
And1: 263

Post#11 » by Yunsen » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:27 am

Thought we might trade into the first round but after what Minnesota had to give up for the 29th pick I'm glad we didn't.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,390

Post#12 » by Danny Darko » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:47 pm

I wouldn't say we're set at QB with Brady Quinn as our backup, but as nice as getting Barkley would be, the 2nd round is too early... he falls to 3rd and you can shuffle some late rounders to get him I think you do it, though.
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#13 » by TTown » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:13 am

with the #56 overall pick, we.......... trade down. w/ baltimore. now picking #62, not sure yet what else we picked up.
ImageImageImageImage
nuke the whales
Junior

Post#14 » by nuke the whales » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:16 am

We swapped 2nds and got a 5th and a 6th
Yunsen
Senior

Post#15 » by Yunsen » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:24 am

62nd, 165th, and 199th to be specific.
nuke the whales
Junior

Post#16 » by nuke the whales » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:39 am

We took a running back???
Yunsen
Senior

Post#17 » by Yunsen » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:41 am

Not happy with this pick AT ALL unless we're trading him.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Sweezo » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:13 am

It may not seem like a need but what would happen if Lynch broke down in the middle of the season? I don't think it's all that surprising of a pick. He came in for an official visit at the VMAC, and he tweeted a bunch of pics showing how much he enjoyed his time there. He was also a PR/KR in college.

Interesting theory on Field Gulls that Turbin's being groomed as a future FB.

BTW Rob Staton nailed that pick...he was all over that for the last week or so.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Sweezo » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:15 am

I'm just happy we didn't take Mathieu. I feel like he's learned nothing.
Yunsen
Senior

Post#20 » by Yunsen » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:29 am

Sweezo wrote:It may not seem like a need but what would happen if Lynch broke down in the middle of the season? I don't think it's all that surprising of a pick. He came in for an official visit at the VMAC, and he tweeted a bunch of pics showing how much he enjoyed his time there. He was also a PR/KR in college.

Interesting theory on Field Gulls that Turbin's being groomed as a future FB.

BTW Rob Staton nailed that pick...he was all over that for the last week or so.

Turbin's a bit small to be a FB. Isn't he only 5'11 or so?

Return to Seattle Seahawks