Moderator: Cactus Jack

Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Re: draft'n 

Post#21 » by Sweezo » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:32 am

DerekRD wrote:
Sweezo wrote:It may not seem like a need but what would happen if Lynch broke down in the middle of the season? I don't think it's all that surprising of a pick. He came in for an official visit at the VMAC, and he tweeted a bunch of pics showing how much he enjoyed his time there. He was also a PR/KR in college.

Interesting theory on Field Gulls that Turbin's being groomed as a future FB.

BTW Rob Staton nailed that pick...he was all over that for the last week or so.

Turbin's a bit small to be a FB. Isn't he only 5'11 or so?

Yep. Mike Rob's 6'1 though not a huge difference. I'm fine with simply having three RB and keeping Mike Rob as is, but whatever the Seahawks think they should do is fine with me.
TTown
Bench Warmer
And1: 11

Post#22 » by TTown » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:17 am

a little extra cushion in case lynch misses any time, and a player in the return game. i don't mind the pick at all. i assumed we were going into this thing with BPA intentions, and we got the top guy left on our board.
ImageImageImageImage
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by Sweezo » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:32 pm

They picked Chris Harper in the 4th round. I wasn't sure why he sounded familiar, then I remembered he was a Duck for a season [as a QB!] before he went to KSU. I thought Patton would be their guy here, but instead they chose a WR who's completely different from Patton. Love the Boldin comparisons, and he can run block. And a former college QB?
nuke the whales
Junior
And1: 6

Post#24 » by nuke the whales » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:34 pm

It would appear that either OL and OLB aren't as big a concern for the coaches as it was for many of the draftniks or there's just nobody they like so far in those spots.
TTown
Bench Warmer
And1: 11

Post#25 » by TTown » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:40 pm

a god awful quarterback. oregon used him primarily as an option QB, because he has incredible speed for his size. our starting QB went down against purdue several years ago, and we used him and legarrette blount to wear them down physically up front. both were huge and fast, and purdue was absolutely gassed by the end.

he transferred out to be closer to home (k-state) and because he wanted to play QB, and the coaching staff here made it clear he would never be a starter. so he went to k-state, they tried him at QB, and they quickly came to the same conclusion.

that bit o' history aside, i LOVE the pick. this was my favorite harper play as a duck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf9a9TXuSws

like i said, amazing speed for a kid as big as he is. he became a standout at receiver for k-state, and the ducks ran into him again in the fiesta bowl a few months ago. a load to bring down.
ImageImageImageImage
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by Sweezo » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:02 pm

While I like the Seahawks draft so far, what the Ravens and Niners have accomplished at this point is enviable. You can't every player you want, but it stinks watching your hated rival grab what you covet.

The Jags [who just nabbed Denard Robinson] and Jets are also doing well to rebuild horrible franchises. And they're doing so with ex-Seahawks brain trust guys at the helm. Good for them.

nuke the whales wrote:It would appear that either OL and OLB aren't as big a concern for the coaches as it was for many of the draftniks or there's just nobody they like so far in those spots.

I think Toomer will get a shot after a year learning, and Schneider's said Avril and Irvin will get reps at LB. I think it was fairly easy to ignore that and assume they'd target a WLB early in the draft, but I guess we shouldn't be surprised that they're doing what they said they might do.

TTown wrote:a god awful quarterback. oregon used him primarily as an option QB, because he has incredible speed for his size. our starting QB went down against purdue several years ago, and we used him and legarrette blount to wear them down physically up front. both were huge and fast, and purdue was absolutely gassed by the end.

he transferred out to be closer to home (k-state) and because he wanted to play QB, and the coaching staff here made it clear he would never be a starter. so he went to k-state, they tried him at QB, and they quickly came to the same conclusion.

Agreed. If he'd remained our starting QB for the duration of his college career I don't think we'd have achieved the level of success we did with Mariota and Thomas.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by Sweezo » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:14 pm

Two back-to-back picks in the 5th round: Tharold Simon and Jesse Williams. The Williams pick is AWESOME. I noticed he was the highest rated player on NFl.com's board for a large portion of the day and I didn't know why he was sliding. Apparently he had a knee issue but he's a goddamned monster.

Simon's also sort of the prototype CB for the Seahawks. God, this team kills the 5th round every year...love it.

TTown wrote:
like i said, amazing speed for a kid as big as he is. he became a standout at receiver for k-state, and the ducks ran into him again in the fiesta bowl a few months ago. a load to bring down.

I'm watching highlights of his on YouTube, and he seemed to do a lot with very little. We all know KSU was a running team, possibly to a fault. If you watch Klein's throws, sometimes Harper's just waiting for the ball to get to him. I'm excited to see what he can do with a QB who can get the ball to him with expediency.
nuke the whales
Junior
And1: 6

Post#28 » by nuke the whales » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:18 pm

This seems to be a typical Schneider draft--a pick at the top that makes a lot of people wonder followed by a ton of value in the middle rounds.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by Sweezo » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:50 am

Overall, I'm pleased with our draft. Carroll's comments indicate Williams will be the starting 3 Tech, and I think he's got a shot to flourish. Alan Branch was competent but I think Williams offers more even though he has a lot to learn about the position.

I've seen Hill listed as a possible 3 Tech but I would think he makes more sense rotating in behind Mebane as a 1 Tech. Hill and Mebane both bust their ass off trying to get into the defensive backfield.

We have a wealth of options along the defensive line.

nuke the whales wrote:This seems to be a typical Schneider draft--a pick at the top that makes a lot of people wonder followed by a ton of value in the middle rounds.

The last few picks tend to follow a pattern: Drafting some one with little to zero name recognition, perhaps from a school you've never heard, and then hearing the team has some wacky plan for them. Or seeing people who know the player chime and and claim the Hawks landed someone special. They don't tend to go for familiar players from big programs who lack upside in the role they played in college.

For example, Jared Smith: A DT from Hew Hampshire with average height and weight. Mayock talked about liking certain aspects of his game, but yet the Seahawks announced him as a guard. And sure enough, just like Sweezy last year we've got a guy that Cable's studied intently and met with privately who he intends to convert. Who knows how these little experiments will work out but what a boon it can be to find OL bargains late instead of drafting a guard #7 overall like Arizona did.

And there's Spencer Ware. Another RB added late who draws comparisons to Lynch and Marion Barber. Sure enough, the Hawks have said they intend to use him at fullback [and RB].

I've never heard of Ty Powell and figured he might be in the mix for a WLB spot. But no, he's being viewed as a LEO. And in reading up on him, several draftniks had him on their list as a potential 3rd rounder and physical specimen. His combine numbers were fairly interesting.

The RT we picked is also a small school guy. I was confused earlier as I saw Okung tweeted him and made an Oklahoma State reference, which made zero sense as the guy was from school I'd never heard of. But it makes sense now, as Bowie was a RT for Oklahoma State before leaving due to getting into a little bit of trouble.

Boy, PC/JS don't give a damn about off the field stuff. At least, they don't sweat the small stuff. At the time I appreciated Ruskell's approach of avoidance. A player with off the field trouble was deemed a distraction and a danger to existing talent. But that approach limits you so severely. How many players on this roster would have been crossed off the list by Ruskell solely due to attitude concerns? Lynch? Tate? I could go on? It's refreshing to have a GM that knows how to build the sort of locker room that can handle someone with nebulous "character issues" and open doors that were previously closed. Bowie's kind of a good example. His "character issues" were some rule violations that caused him to go to a different school. The Seahawks see fit to give this guy a chance, and he's going to be paired with Okung--a guy he knows from Oklahoma State who apparently recruited him. A 6'4, 339 lb. tackle who Ruskell would have ignored completely. We can grab that kind of guy in the 7th round and see if it works.

They appear to bringing in UDFAs of little consequence, because players know they're probably not making this roster. That's awesome.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,080

Post#30 » by tiderulz » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:58 pm

as an Alabama fan I am biased, but you guys will love Jesse Williams. Absolute beast, doesnt care that he doesnt get the flashy plats, etc, and you dont get it as a NT, but he will grind and beat on opposing OL's all day. And a beast in the weight room too.
asdf1223
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#31 » by asdf1223 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:04 am

Incase you haven't you should see Michael vs Arkansas in 2011. Ridiculous. Speed, Power, vision, agility cutting. Looks like prime S-Jax there. Think he came back too early after tearing his ACL and then clashed with the new coaching staff. If he's healthy and willing he's the future lead back.

Return to Seattle Seahawks